Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

I do an adult intermediate class and all the regulars in my class have been doing ballet for years.  From time to time we get a complete beginner joining. I always find it really frustrating when that happens as it slows the class down and they find it a real struggle to keep up - how can you do an intermediate type class without knowing the basic positions and steps! Every beginner who has joined has left within a term, possibly put off doing ballet for ever which is such a shame when there are lots of beginner classes around which they may love. 

That is all very well if the school or teacher advertises the experience or aptitude that is required or the the work that is done in class but too often they do not. "Beginners" by definition do not know anything about ballet and certainly not the subtleties of the terminology that mimi66 has helpfully set out above. It is not their fault if they find themselves in the wrong place.  They deserve encouragement and require practical assistance which may take the form of a recommendation to an easier class, possibly at another school if such a class exists locally. And if a student happens to know of such a class there is no reason why he or she should not pass on that information to the absolute beginner in a tactful and friendly way.

Many students - particularly mature ones  - have to screw up every last ounce of courage to turn up to their first ballet class. .  I remember my first class for over 40 years which was billed as a mixed age and mixed ability class but where all the other students turned out to be teenagers who had studied ballet for years.  I took the class with a much younger woman who had never done ballet before although she played quite a lot of other sports.   I remember the looks of pity and contempt as we struggled through the class. It is only because I have a hide like a rhinoceros and a very strong will that I turned up for a second and subsequent class.  My companion, however, was deterred and gave up after a few goes.

It is good that folk of all ages and all abilities do ballet or some other physical activity. It probably saves the NHS money. It is certainly a lot of fun. 

• Like 4

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would a complete beginner join an intermediate class? Even if you knew nothing about ballet you should understand that intermediate means some level of competence is required for the class. The term 'mixed' is rather ambiguous. The problem with adult classes is that amateurs who have trained to a very high level and even ex-professionals seem to turn up for 'general' classes at some venues. It would be better for everyone if the venue advertised the classes better by saying, for example, that beginners classes are suitable for adult students who have, say, less than three years experience or are of a standard below a particular RAD grade (Grade 4, perhaps?). Would I be right in thinking that intermediate classes are pitched at around RAD Grade 6 level?

• Like 2

I think post-beginner class levels are roughly the the same as RAD vocational grades level, except "advanced" class would be for advanced (1). 

I suspect Intermediate Foundation to be the upper end of beginners+ level...

There are still a lot of studios (Pineapple, Danceworks to name a few)  where they use old RAD vocational grade names to indicate the class level.

- Elementary (now RAD Intermediate)

- Intermediate (now RAD Advanced1)

- Advanced (now RAD Advanced 2).

This creates even more confusion... 

Edited by mimi66

If the class is described as "intermediate" then fair enough. But classes are often described in very ambiguous terms.

Also, outside big cities there may not be a market for several classes at different levels and w poor old beginner has to sink or swim in a mixed age and mixed ability class or not learn at all.

I think this makes it even more of a minefield for those with no experience of ballet and certainly does not help ease them into finding the best class for them. Most beginners would have no idea what these terms meant so perhaps being a bit more user friendly in the terms of class descriptors has much to offer students and teachers alike.

I personally think there is something that goes way beyond a knowledge of steps here which is key to progression. Without it you have the beginnings of a building where the cement has not set so to speak.

• Like 2

terpsichore, I think it is most likely that the class balletfanatic mentioned in her post was billed as "Intermediate".  If it was billed as "general", then I could see some confusion that you referred to might have happened. but as balletfanatic says "intermediate class", I think we should take her (?) word for it.

And "mixed-ability" calss  are "beginners" level class anyways, so there is nothing wrong for the absolute (or near absolute) beginners turning up.

I am really sorry to that you felt the looks of pity and contempt from your classmates.  But you also mentioned that the ballet teacher teaching that class was a very good teacher. Well, normally good teacher would not let those things happen.

So I wonder perhaps,  those girls gave you a glance because you were (without realising) perhaps encroaching their space or by mistake placed yourself in front of them?  May be those looks were signs those girls sent hoping you might notice...

Edited by mimi66

Certainly in current BBO terms Intermediate would be a mixture of grade 6 and grade 7 work.

It is complicated because once you get to grade 6 (in the non adult ballet world) it splits after that into Intermediate Foundation and that route for vocationals and Grade 7 more for non vocationals! I think something similar happens with RAD

If you are an adult and want to take grade exams I think you go up to grade 7 ......miss out the foundation level and then it's Intermediate and Advanced.

I think you take grade 7 if you don't want to do pointe work .

But both Intermediate and Advanced would require pointe work for exams.

Not that many adults carry on with exams after grade 6 in the end.

Intermediate level is quite a sticking point for most adults I think because you are really required to be working with the leg at a strongly extended 90 degrees in adage work and at the barre etc .......with a strongly held and upright back though!! This would be for attitude as well. And some of the allegro sections are quite difficult with brise and brise vole executed properly!! ......and at some speed.....no mean feat.

Most of the adults who reach true Advanced level....in my experience anyway.....are those who have had ballet training as a child for some years at some point.

Most adults who start ballet genuinely as an adult which I will say is post 18 .......that is they have NEVER done any ballet at all before the age of 18 will not reach Advanced level ballet.

However it really doesn't matter. The point is to be doing something you enjoy doing and having a good old go at it to the best of your ability. I'm sure as Terpischore said the exercise and endorphins released in a ballet class probably do keep,the doctor away and possibly save the NHS money!!.......well that is unless you injure yourself of course!! Though I haven't cost the NHS a penny yet so far with my injury!!

• Like 1

Actually ......just having seen the post Mimi I think the upper end of beginners plus......advanced beginners I think you called them is below Intermediate foundation..... more grade 5 possibly grade 6?

• Like 1

I think this makes it even more of a minefield for those with no experience of ballet and certainly does not help ease them into finding the best class for them. Most beginners would have no idea what these terms meant so perhaps being a bit more user friendly in the terms of class descriptors has much to offer students and teachers alike.

I personally think there is something that goes way beyond a knowledge of steps here which is key to progression. Without it you have the beginnings of a building where the cement has not set so to speak.

I totally agree with yout hat it is not about the knowledge of steps but "how" one excutes them. 

However, I think it is even more difficult for adult beginners to know the quality of the steps being executed, or even the way one stands. It often takes at least a few years' experience even to realise that ballet is not about how hight one's leg go up or how many times one can turn...

I tried to show that under the "beginner" banner, there are at least 4 different stages.  Also I hoped that if someone reading it did not know what is brisee or fouette, or don't know how to do them, then at least they know that they are not ready for and "intermediate" or "general" class yet.

Edited by mimi66

So 'elementary' at some of the big studios is really quite advanced. A child / teenager would generally have attended classes for several years (perhaps even as many as 8 or 10) before they went into an intermediate class.

........... I think it is most likely that the class balletfanatic mentioned in her post was billed as "Intermediate".  If it was billed as "general", then I could see some confusion that you referred to might have happened. but as balletfanatic says "intermediate class", I think we should take her (?) word for it.

If you re-read my post you will see it was subject to the condition "if the school or teacher advertises the experience or aptitude that is required or the the work that is done in class but too often they do not".  I was addressing the general point that classes are described misleadingly or ambiguously and not the specific question of whether Balletfanatic's class was so described.  If you read Balletfanatic post again you will see that she advises us of the actual level of the class but does not mention the way it was labelled.  

Having said that, the natural meaning of the word "intermediate" is something between two extremes.  It is therefore unlikely that a person of average intelligence and education would present himself for a class that was obviously above at least one other level. The fact that  many beginners attempted to join that class suggests that the class was labelled inaccurately or ambiguously.   Either that or there are a lot of silly people in Balletfanatic's neighbourhood.

I am really sorry to that you felt the looks of pity and contempt from your classmates.  But you also mentioned that the ballet teacher teaching that class was a very good teacher. Well, normally good teacher would not let those things happen.

No need for sympathy. I told you that I have a hide like a rhinoceros's and a strong will.  It did not bother me in the least.  

I do indeed have an excellent teacher.  A wonderful Australian lady with a can-do attitude.   When she invited me and the lady who dropped out to join her class she warned us that we would have to put up with surly teenagers.  Apparently they had been surly before we joined the class and our joining the class merely provided another focus for them.   

So I wonder perhaps,  those girls gave you a glance because you were (without realising) perhaps encroaching their space or by mistake placed yourself in front of them?  May be those looks were signs those girls sent hoping you might notice...

Possibly but unlikely.  We had a good teacher as you know and she would never allow me to "encroach their space" or "get in front" of any of her students.

I think the kids thought they owned the place. They were quite spoilt and they were just not used to sharing a public space with a member of the public. Particularly not one who was the same age as their parents or grandparents most of whom took no exercise at all and certainly not ballet.

NB  I should add that students with the talent and drive to get into Northern Ballet Academy and thus a realistic prospect of making a career in ballet as well as members of the company could not be kinder or more encouraging to the members of our Over 55 class when we run into them in the lift, corridor, cafe or in the Stan and Audrey Burton Theatre.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 1

Just to confirm my class is billed as "intermediate" - for those who have done grade 8 or above.  That's why I can't understand beginners wanting to join in and it does slow the class down which I think is unfair as there are adult beginner classes nearby (it's just outside London)

• Like 1

[...].  If you read Balletfanatic post again you will see that she advises us of the actual level of the class but does not mention the way it was labelled.  

terpsichore, normally ballet class are "billed" as it is called - so if someone says "intermediate class" that is the name of the class. 

Also, the latter part of your post (not reproduced here) was uncalled for.  I can see how hurt you are and I am sorry that you were made to feel that way, but this is second time you mention these people on this forum in a short space of time, plus this time you brought their mothers and grandmothers into it.  

I do worry that from what you have written those people are very easily identifiable and after all still just teenagers, young enough to be your granddaughters....  They, or their family could be reading this thread and not able to post to defend themselves here.  

• Like 1

So 'elementary' at some of the big studios is really quite advanced. A child / teenager would generally have attended classes for several years (perhaps even as many as 8 or 10) before they went into an intermediate class.

Yes, that is the case. The studios I mentioned have many MT students, dancers of other discipline (jazz etc).  I also ran into Royal Ballet dancers many times.  I have not been to those classes for quite a while now, but as the teachers are still the same, and from what I hear from the grapevine, it still seems to be the case.

Yes, that is the case. The studios I mentioned have many MT students, dancers of other discipline (jazz etc).  I also ran into Royal Ballet dancers many times.  I have not been to those classes for quite a while now, but as the teachers are still the same, and from what I hear from the grapevine, it still seems to be the case.

Oops, I meant to say that the elementary class in the studios attracts many MT students and Royal Ballet dancers...etc. Just to clarify.

Edited by mimi66

Just to confirm my class is billed as "intermediate" - for those who have done grade 8 or above.  That's why I can't understand beginners wanting to join in and it does slow the class down which I think is unfair as there are adult beginner classes nearby (it's just outside London)

Well in that case I agree with you.  

It's a bit like driving. Learners have to start somewhere and that may include going onto a busy high street at rush hour much to the annoyance of more experienced motorists.  But just as learners are not allowed onto the motorway I agree that beginners should be directed gently and tactfully and in a friendly fashion to classes that they can do.   I would simply add that teachers and schools are in a better position to do that than the students themselves.

Edited by terpsichore

Well, judging from some of the reaction here, I now understand why dance studios and ballet teachers shy away from trying to describe their class levels in more detailed and helpful way.... You just can't describe the level of the class without upsetting some people who then launch onto how they should be conisdered whatever level they consider themselves are.

I have certainly seen, over the years, many people who argued with studios reception and teachers trying to justify how "they" should be able to attend the class they want to attend when the level descriptions were given to them. While these people are in no way representating most adult ballet learners' behaviour, I am sure what I have seen was only a tip of an iceberg, also.

I think people on this board are just trying to be helpful to those who wants to get the feel of the class descriptions currently used, so that they can choose the most effective way of learning ballet.  Most people do not want to turn up to classes which are beyond their current capacity, not only because they are being considerate and mindful to think what impact their presence might have to other dancers in the same class but also they want to find an environment where they can learn most effectively.

I do an adult intermediate class and all the regulars in my class have been doing ballet for years.  From time to time we get a complete beginner joining. I always find it really frustrating when that happens as it slows the class down and they find it a real struggle to keep up - how can you do an intermediate type class without knowing the basic positions and steps! Every beginner who has joined has left within a term, possibly put off doing ballet for ever which is such a shame when there are lots of beginner classes around which they may love. 

balletfanatic, I am surprised that people you mentioned came back to the class after having tried for the first time.  The old intermediate level (now Advanced) is very difficult that it would not be so difficult to see whether it was the suitable level for them or not after the barre, even if they had very little experience of ballet... 

This is why, even video clip of the class wouldn't necessarily help... I have come across with a few individuals who thought the advaced level class she participated was "at the same level as elementary class"... and someof them were dancing less than 2 years then. 

Then again, I think they are exceptions rather than the norm.

Edited by mimi66

How do people cope in areas where there are limited opportunities for adult ballet without travelling great distances (which many people may not be able to)?  Would there be a class that would try to cater for every level of experience?

Some years ago I attended Italian lessons for several years.  The local adult education centre only offered one class and a number of us went back year after year, accepting that we could only go as fast as the newest member of the class.  Our teacher was wonderful in not letting anybody "take over" and hog the class.  Happy days!

• Like 3

In the days of the old RAD,Elementary was one of the Major Syllabuses. You had ,if I can remember,up to Grade 4 then Senior Grade,Pre-Elementary,Elementary,Intermediate,Advanced and Solo Seal. On another thread people were talking about former dancers saying how tough it was back in their day compared to now. I have absolutely no idea if a similar thing can apply to the RAD of then and now, but I do remember there was a huge technical jump from ,say Elementary to Intermediate and Intermediate to Advanced [i only did up to the old Inter anyway as I figured I had had enough ballet training for dancing the can can !!] Would it be fair to say the jump is not quite so high nowadays,considering there is Inter Foundation,Inter,Advanced Foundation,Adv 1 and 2  etc? There seems to be a lot of "grades" nowadays whereas before you had 4; Elementary,Intermediate, Advanced and Solo Seal. Not saying that ballet is easier,of course it isn`t .But is the PROGRESSION easier,perhaps?

• Like 2

I am also someone who went through the old syllabus up to solo seal. I have to say I do not teach syllabus anymore but some of the key aims and focus of the new syllabus is different and there is more encouragement to use less syllabus work in class.

What I did observe over the years is the way in which the type of dancers being entered for the vocational exams changed. There was a time where students would not pass due to factors like insufficient turnout etc but this has all changed now. It will be interesting to track the very young dancers who come the whole way through the syllabus to see what kind of dancers are produced from the creation of the new syllabus.

• Like 4

I think you are right thequays the progression from grade to grade is more gradual these days (which is why it is easier to skip a grade occasionally these days) than it used to be.

However there is now an entirely new syllabus for RAD which people seem to approve of but I have not yet experienced any of the new syllabus work.

I do know that not many girls took or passed the old Advanced exam which was in operation in our day so to speak!!!

• Like 2

I am also someone who went through the old syllabus up to solo seal. I have to say I do not teach syllabus anymore but some of the key aims and focus of the new syllabus is different and there is more encouragement to use less syllabus work in class.

What I did observe over the years is the way in which the type of dancers being entered for the vocational exams changed. There was a time where students would not pass due to factors like insufficient turnout etc but this has all changed now. It will be interesting to track the very young dancers who come the whole way through the syllabus to see what kind of dancers are produced from the creation of the new syllabus.

Balleteacher, I had this exact conversation with someone yesterday ! I am not yet familiar with the new Advanced 2 syllabus, but we both agreed that with a good teacher, (and obviously a dedicated student) the vocational exams are more accessible now to those who may not possess the 'desirable' physical qualities than they were in the past.

How relevant is RAD (or BBO or ISTD) vocational grades to acutually getting a place in vocational schools now? 

My understanding was the old days you had to have passed intermediate (now advanced1) as a minimum requirement, but is this still the case?

Just curious... and  I wondered if this might have anything to do with RAD vocational exams somewhat becamer less demanding about "desireable physique"?

How relevant is RAD (or BBO or ISTD) vocational grades to acutually getting a place in vocational schools now? 

My understanding was the old days you had to have passed intermediate (now advanced1) as a minimum requirement, but is this still the case?

Just curious... and  I wondered if this might have anything to do with RAD vocational exams somewhat becamer less demanding about "desireable physique"?

Not relevant at all . However I think that doing Intermediate is a good idea as it facilitates entry to dance BA and teaching courses. Even in the old days I don't think that it was a pre requisite for vocational school. 

• Like 2

I believe my Advanced exam(old syllabus) lasted one hour and forty five minutes. I think I had blanked this out until this discussion. If I recall I worked on the syllabus for about 2.5 years partly at vocational school before taking the exam so perhaps this illustrates that the progression was slower. Not everybody did exams although we were all encouraged to start the Cecchetti major exams whilst at ballet school which was a challenge in terms of the differing styles. Good learning though.

• Like 2

I know someone who is fighting a degenerative muscle and joint disorder. She dances every day against great odds. I think this is extremely impressive. She doesn't think it extraordinary either. She has my utmost respect.

• Like 5

I think most ballet classes are welcoming to newcomers (to the class), so long as they do not cause danger to others, due to the level at which that particular class is operating.  And I have never seen age being an issue, either. It's really about people exercising their commonsense and common courtesy.

"Mixed-ability" class is normally understood to be a class which limit its scope from basic (sometimes absolute) beinners upto RAD grade 5 level. So, it is  "everyone welcome" open class, but not where "everyone operates to the maximum of their level" class.  Other than those who are new to ballet, there is an understanding that there will be a lot of beginners. This is why the class works - becuase those more experenced defer to fellow learners whe are still new to ballet in those settings.

More experienced dancers are aware of common "blind spots" and less developed spatial awareness of those less experienced dancers.  They anticipate and give enough space so that the less experenced dancers will not become a danger.  If a less experience dancers (without realising - that is normally the case) encroach another dancers' space or generally just lost control, the more experienced dancers will adjust to avoid the danger.

Ballet is so much more than just learning steps... being able to dance with other people is also very important, and this skill alone takes more than just a few years of experience. 

I must say that in the last 5 years or so, I seem to see more people who demands support and consideration from those around them becuase they for whatever reason have not yet reached the level of that certain class, ("I paid the same money as every one, I should get my money's worth"), but refuse to put in much effort on their part. 

They tend to complain about not understanding some specific terms or conventionaly used terms in ballet without actually doing a bit of research themselves.  Worse, having asked other people for a quick answer, then do not like what is being said and get upset, then accuse others for being "elitist" or "not using  layperson's terms.".    They don't seem to show any consideration about spacing and other ballet classroom conventions, oblivious to what others around them are doing.  I wonder if those mature adults new learners somewhat lost or forgot humbleness that most discipline require at the beginning (and beyond), and which their younger counterparts somewhat still remember?

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1

Nowadays, if there is any restriction on someone being able to do something related to a level of competence it is classed (wrongly IMO) as 'elitist''. The term is also used (inappropriately) in relation to reasonable standards of behaviour in public spaces.

• Like 2

I had a good but somewhat exhausting day yesterday. I did the Over 55 Improvers' class at Northern Ballet Academy and a rehearsal for the end of term show where I was delighted (as always) to meet Michelle_Richer. In the evening I drove down the M1 to Sheffield where I took the Beginners and Improvers classes at Hype Dance Academy.  

Here's my review of those classes:

"For the last year and a bit I have been taking Fiona Noonan's adult ballet classes at The Base Studios and Team Hud in Huddersfield (see my reviews of both classes somewhere in this thread on elsewhere in the forum).  Recently she has been engaged to teach advanced, intermediate and pointe classes at Hype Dance Academy in Sheffield while the regular teacher is on maternity leave. For the next three weeks she will be covering Hype's beginners and improvers classes too. Yesterday I followed her to Sheffield to take her classes at Hype.

The first thing to say is that Hype is not easy to find. I lived a mile from Hampton Court Palace between 1955 and 1982 so I know all about mazes but not even that labyrinth had prepared me for Sheffield's one way traffic system. I suspect it was devised in the days when Sheffield City Council was said to be slightly to the left of Fidel Castro and it was the local local authority's policy to drive motorists off the roads and onto the excellent trams.  Hype's address is 67 Earl Street, Sheffield, S1 4PY which my satellite navigation seemed to think was on planet Zog. The first time I tried to find it I missed the class altogether because as I crawled around the city centre from one traffic jam to the next as the minutes ticked by. There are directions on the "contact page" of Hype's web site but these are not much help unless you know Sheffield well. It is no good calling the studio for directions because the switchboard is not covered for the whole of the day.

If you are a motorist the trick is as follows:

• get on the A61 (inner city ring road in the clockwise direction) which you can join at the Park Square roundabout from the Parkway which connects with the M1 (watch the cameras they are super-sensitive after the 50 mph sign), 
  • follow the ring road past the station which should be on your left, 
  • make a sharp right onto St Mary's Road, 
  • then another into Matilda Street, 
  • carry on down Matilda Road past the UTC college which should be on your right, 
  • then a left into Sydney Street, 
  • a sharp right on Arundel and 
  • then left on Earl.

To say you can't miss the studio would not be true because it is a very undistinguished two storey brick building which must have been a warehouse or other light industrial building in its heyday.  There is signage for the observant pedestrian and no doubt aspirant taxi driver if they have anything like The Knowledge in Sheffield but it is easy to miss.

One good point about the location is that there is plenty of street parking which costs £1 after 18:00.  Don't be fooled into using pay by phone because the app tried to charge me £2.40. Another is there are some very good Chinese restaurants and a grocery within a few hundred yards of the dance school. My favourite is the Wong Ting where I celebrated my 60th birthday.

Once you find Hype and get inside it is very nice. There appear to be two studios and Fiona's class was in Studio 1.  That is a long narrow room with barres along the right hand side and a mirror at the front. The walls are decorated with posters and playbills and Victorian schoolroom style exhortations such as dance is 20% talent and 80% labour. Happen!

There must have been between 15 and 20 people in the beginners' class, mainly women nearly all of whom where in their twenties.   We filled the fixed barre and 4 of us spilled on to a travelling barre. They were a friendly crowd and most of them were well kitted out in leotards and soft toed ballet shoes.

Fiona introduced herself to the class and told us a little bit about her training in Australia and her career as a dancer and teacher. She then asked the students what they had learned from their regular teacher and how she had taught them. The answers suggested that her method was very much like Fiona's.

We had a warm up exercise in the centre for toes and legs.  I was dismayed to find that my balance was well below the class's because I had to let my feet touch the floor once or twice. We then sidled off to the barre for the usual exercises.

Fiona is a good teacher but I have never seen her teach better than she did yesterday. She likes a big class of enthusiastic students and she found them at Hype. Through the barre exercises she focussed on technique particularly on basics such as weight distribution and the use of abdominals and abductors. She has an eye for detail and I think we all had a correction to make. Once she was happy with our pliés, tendus andglissés we moved on to fondus and développés which do not come easily to this old lady but nevertheless have to be done.

In the centre we followed a port de bras exercise that I had already attempted several times in Huddersfield which consists of chassés starting on the right, then left and en croix, a lunge, a pivot, arabesque which is substantially repeated on the left.  Annemarie in Leeds has a similar exercise for us old ladies except that we soutenu rather than pivot and cut out the arabesque.  We marked it without and then with music and then tried it for ourselves.  To my joy I found that I could just about hold my pivot - at least for the first time.  The second was a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Fiona asked the class about travelling steps and two of the students set off with something that looked very much like temps levés to me.   That is certainly what we ended up with.  The long narrow room gave us plenty of space for building up some momentum.  We did that exercise in groups of three and loved it.  In the last few minutes we did a few sautés and jetés again making good use of the room's length.

All too soon the class was over. Fiona explained that another teacher would be taking over from her in a few weeks' time. That announcement elicited a few sighs showing how much everyone had enjoyed the class. 

A few of us stayed on for the improvers' class which started immediately afterwards.  One of the students in that class was Mel with whom I had driven down to Lincoln the previous Friday (see "Chantry Dance Company's Sandman and Dream Dance" 10 May 2014). Mel is a good dancer and I had feared that I would find myself out of my depth.  Although she and all the other students were in a different league to me they were also friendly.  Everyone was keen to learn.   The barre and centre exercises were similar to those that we had done in the beginners' class but they were done by my fellow students even more slickly and elegantly. 

The final class of the evening was beginners' pointe for which I did not stay. I doubt that I shall ever reach that standard because try as I might my ankles are weak and my core is jelly but you never know.  When I started ballet again just over year ago I couldn't do any of the centre work.   Now I am at least having a jolly good bash.

Before coming to Sheffield I had done two classes in Leeds and I had expected the Sheffield classes to be a bit of a slog but they weren't. They were a lot of fun and I could have carried on for more.  I have not met the other teachers but judging by the standard I found at Hype they must be good.  I have no hesitation in recommending that dance school."
  • Like 5

Hello all!

I've been 'lurking' on here for a while, but felt compelled to sign up and post after seeing Terpsichore's review of.. my regular ballet class! :)

Bit of background on me... I did ballet as a child from about 3 years old until I left school. Also did Highland dancing, which I was probably better at, but ballet was my first dance 'love'. I can't quite remember what grade I got to - the memory (and certificates) are lost in the mists of time! I had done a couple of years of pointe work by the time I left. I did the occasional 'ballet workout' class in my 20s, and sporadic attempts at the New York Ballet Workout video/DVD at home, but didn't go back to dancing until last year (I'd actually emailed a couple of dance schools a few years earlier, but it took me a while to get up the courage to go). Sixteen years after my last proper ballet class I nervously tried again - and discovered I still loved it. The first few months were a bit of a whirlwind - mostly learning a show routine which we performed in March - it got me back into dancing and much fitter very quickly!

Anyway - Terpsichore, I'm so glad you enjoyed the class, and sorry about my adopted home city's terrible road system - I still get lost! The class was a bit different from what we've been used to - more time on the barre and a bit of a faster pace in the centre - but I thought Fiona was great :) I usually stay for the Improvers and Beginners Pointe (though I'm not back on pointe yet, but working towards it) but wasn't able to last night. It would be lovely to say hello if you come through to Sheffield again!

Talking of levels of classes, I followed that discussion with interest. I was advised to re-start with a beginners class, which I think was absolutely the right decision, especially as I wasn't very fit at all. Once I started to find it fairly easy, I asked the teacher if she thought I'd be OK to try the next class up (as she taught both levels). I thought I was ready, but it seemed natural to me to discuss it with her, rather than just 'promoting' myself. If she'd said she thought I should wait, then I'd have been a bit disappointed, but I'd have respected that. I'm also a teacher in a different subject and I think those sort of decisions should be a joint process wherever possible. I've seen quite a few people (in various areas, not just dance) come in as a beginner or a returner to an 'intermediate' level group, struggle with it and end up being put off and not coming back because it was too hard and they think they "can't do it".

That's probably enough rambling for a first post.... :lol:

• Like 8