Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Harwel, that's very helpful. I'll reorder how I do the stretching etc. Like you, I find the deep stretching really relieves the (mild) pain, but maybe it's exacerbating things. And yes, I do have a bit of scar tissue on the tendon, so will try the massage. I think I'm going to have to give up the running, and substitute rowing or cycling (but both are very very boring for me ...) 

Rowing and cycling on the machines is boring (I've been known to fall asleep on the bike) but I don't find cycling on the road or tow path boring. I like to get out on my bike when I can, which won't be that often soon - I don't cycle in the rain. I like running on the treadmill - it's brain out and go for it. I wish I could reach that state on the gym bikes. I've too have had to give up running. I've substituted this with short bursts of skipping (do a set of weights followed by a minute or so of skipping). Keeps up the aerobic fitness, and I don't find it hard on the knees. As an added bonus, it's sped up my slow feet in tendus, etc. Skipping probably isn't for everybody, but it's working for me at the mo.

Just to add, I find that (gently) rolling my calf and ankle with a tennis ball helps whenever my achilles is playing up.

This is what Playboy Bunnies did, except they used a coke bottle.

LinMM - I suspect that it is to do with the joint mobility of the lower back that affects your arabesque to the back. I say this only because DDs teacher at vocational school commented that DD's arabesque was not as high as it should be, especially given her flexibility generally. She was sent for assessment and physio and learned it was to do with the lower spine with a knock on effect to the hamstrings. She was given specific exercises to loosen up her lower spine and there was immediate improvement. So I really do suspect that it will be linked to wear and tear on the lumbar region.

• Like 1

Ooo yes I've tight hamstrings as well so sort of makes sense.

When I had some X-rays recently I know there is some arthritis and narrowing around Lumbar 5 ......

I'm sure though this may not be true for everybody who cannot get the height.

I'm in class sometimes with some ex professional Royals and ABT people and they still get (50's and 60's) very good 90 degree at the back.

For them knees can be a problem so have to watch jumping!!

I've noticed that although they can still do some full plies they seem to avoid plié in 4th ( I'm only doing full plié in 1st position at moment)

I do wish FULL plies would come later on in the barre though generally speaking ...or even at the end of the barre!!

I'm just wondering whether exercising in a swimming pool would help with the back extensions.  I know I can get my legs higher to the front and side when they're "floated" up, but am not sure whether this will work for the back, if it's a joint problem rather than a muscle problem?

• Like 2

A nice Pilates story

Yesterday I had a one to one at Purely Pilates in Brighton....I usually am in a small group of 4-6 but occasionally do the one to ones to work on more personally specific things.

Well there's a piece of choreography we are doing which entails that port de bras (often done at the barre) where you dégagé one leg to the front ....plié ..on the other and sweep the arms down to the legs....with as straight a back as poss......some people including our teacher can amazingly get their head on the knee virtually doing this....

Well anyway since my hip flexor injury...now much better...I've been very cagey about doing this and frustrated too as my arms are barely touching my legs when I bend forwards ....especially when it's the left leg in plié

Anyway yesterday I asked the Pilates teacher if anything could help with improving this port de bras ( iPad just put port de Brad) and we spent the session on strengthening the hip and lower back area generally and then after the class she asked me to show her the movement again and I couldn't believe the improvement on the left side! I was bending further able to sweep the arms onto the lower calf ( not head on knee...yet) at least but more importantly I felt a bit more solid in that left hip( the arthritic one) and so has given me the confidence to just test it a bit further as have been probably holding back since the injury.....and then that becomes a psychological rather than an actual physical block.

It now remains to be seen whether tonight ....a whole day later ....I will be able to start sustaining this improvement in the rehearsal.....and because I love the piece and the music so much I really want this to happen.

I also do scaravelli yoga once a week ....a very slow and organic form of yoga that really concentrates on the spine and this can be useful for stretching out the lower back to relieve aches and pains. Although of course it's never simple and sometimes the tightness in the lower back is actually arising from the thoracic spine getting stiffer.....and the affect of gravity over time on the upper back....and you can see this generally speaking in the older members of the population .....they start to bend over from the cervical ( neck area) first and so on.

• Like 1

Aileen just seen your post about swimming

Now this is interesting actually as I often do ballet type exercises in the pool and I have noticed that with the aid of the water support I can nearly get my leg to 90 at the back .....but definitely higher than when on solid ground.

So what does this indicate ....maybe not entirely a joint problem then?

I know it's all interwoven....joints fascia tissue muscles tendons ligaments etc....they're all connected together and working together( or not as the case may be) but it does imply some soft tissue issue ( sorry) as well doesn't it?

Must dash my name is being called and the iPad cursed in no uncertain terms ......on with the household duties.....and only have an hour and a half now to do them and get ready to leave for London.....help!!

Having now signed up for my 2 free articles a week with The Times, I note from today's email telling me what's in there:

"How to build strong muscles whatever your age - and stay fit and healthy for years"

I mention in case it's of use to anyone here.  I trust the link takes you to the right place, as I copied and pasted it straight from the email, but don't want to waste my quota on it just in case.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your advice about tendonitis. I warmed up very slowly with lots of ankle rolling before last night's class, and my tendon felt much more mobile.

One question - if anyone knows the medical/technical answer: a running friend expressed confusion about why I feel constriction & pain on the contraction of the Achilles as I rise up to demi pointe, rather than when the tendon is stretched down as in a heel drop (which feel great). It's on the rise that I feel the injury. 

Apropos of nothing, having had an excuse to come into London and stick around for a class for the first time in absolutely ages, I have just learned that Tom isn't the only recent departure - it seems Alison is also no longer teaching improvers at ENB ("a mournful cry rent the air," sort of thing! Yes, things change, but they shouldn't, darn it *sniffle*)

I would just like to take this opportunity to say OMG ONOEZ. Anyone happen to know if she still teaches anywhere else?

Alison, if you happen to read this, greetings from the west country. And incidentally that space-helmet simile still makes me smile at least once per barre on average :)

• Like 2

It wouldn't have anything to do with the impending move to Docklands in 2018 would it?

http://www.wharf.co.uk/news/cultural-coup-docklands-english-national-9376090

It the teachers didn't want to relocate there, or if (like LSC) the adult classes won't continue post-move, they probably would be starting to jump ship now as & when new opportunities arose.....

It would be a bit far in advance to do anything about it, wouldn't it?  I did wonder what might happen about the classes, though - and whether they might continue them somewhere more centrally, too.  After all, when I first started doing them we were somewhere near Westminster Abbey ...

I would have done this like a shot but it's on Sunday 6th November and I'm travelling back from Russia that day....not complaining... a dream come true to be spending six days in St Petersburg ....but means will have to miss this workshop unfortunately ....and I'm sure it will be really very good!!

They are also doing a shorter workshop in January on Giselle....but based on the more traditional one which the Company will be performing then.

In this workshop you get a chance to dance on the Coliseum stage and then watch class afterwards.

Oh Petersburg is a beautiful city - I visited Petersburg before I ever went to Venice, and Venice suffered by comparison,. even though Tsar Nicholas based his remodelling of Petersburg on Venice. But last time I was there was in the summer - November it will be cold & grey - but the buildings still shine. If you have the time, be prepared to spend a lot of it at the Hermitage. The first time I visited back in the 90s, I only got as far as Rembrandt (they have rooms of them) but the next time we manahed to get into the 20th century. The room full of Matisses is glorious, and full of paintings of dancing people, so relevant for a dancer's visit!

• Like 2

It wouldn't have anything to do with the impending move to Docklands in 2018 would it?

http://www.wharf.co.uk/news/cultural-coup-docklands-english-national-9376090

It the teachers didn't want to relocate there, or if (like LSC) the adult classes won't continue post-move, they probably would be starting to jump ship now as & when new opportunities arose.....

No, it's my understanding that the move had nothing to do with Alison no longer teaching at ENB. :(

As I understand it, it's due to changes in timetable/class schedules by ENB who scheduled Alison to teach an Absolute Beginners class and an Improvers class on the same evening. As some of you may know this is just not manageable for her since her horribly painful foot injury caused by an accident. Teaching a beginner and an improver class in one evening is just not physically possible for her because of the sheer amount of standing still/demonstrating. Such a shame as IMHO she is a wonderful teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a ballet discussion board, but can I just say - I'm 3 classes in to learning Street Dance. And it's harder than the most advanced ballet class I've ever taken (and I used to study the Cecchetti Advanced Syllabus!) It's fun, but I just cannot get the cool, relaxed style of the rest of the class & especially my lovely teacher. I feel like a dyspraxic puppy running to catch up!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

A few years back I did a Zumba come Latin American style Dance class run by this wonderful South American dancer and it was the same feeling!

It really was great fun and most of us were laughing the whole way through ( which was probably therapeutic for other reasons) but I felt so stupid trying to get the sexy Latin moves and get those hips moving etc.

he would set it all at a certain speed for us learners but every now and then he would go off on one and do it treble speed to show us just how it could be done no doubt and he looked SO amazing we would all just spontaneously clap!

I still think it's good to learn other styles of Dance though

Street dance isn't the style you have to twizzle round on your head though is it??

Edited by LinMM

Er yes, it is LinMM  :D

Well, we haven't spun around on our  but we're learning a routine with what's called a "helicopter" in it - on both sides.

I keep pleading for a contemporary style back or bum roll, but no ... helicopter it is.  :o

OMG not sure if right knee and left hip could deal with that move....especially at speed!!

I love watching youngsters do this dance but think I'll be a spectator for this one!

It's great you are taking it on though Kate_N .....you'll find the contemporary ballet workshop in March a doddle after a few more months of this!!

Only 6 weeks Colman? I'm hoping to not look such a fool after 6 months.

Hey, I'm two and half years into ballet and I'm still waiting. :-)

More seriously, there's a difference between settling into being a beginner - which we're also often bad at - and the feeling of being completely at sea of the first few weeks. 

you'll find the contemporary ballet workshop in March a doddle after a few more months of this!!

Yes, it's tough on my knees.

The workshop will be fine - I've studied contemporary for almost as many years as I've taken ballet classes (Graham technique & release technique). Although my expertise never seems to get past about intermediate level, and it takes me ages to pick up combinations (I'm a dunce student sometimes).  It's whether my old body is up to a full day. I haven't done a full day workshop for about 10 years ...

Edited by Kate_N