Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much all. Kate, I agree re The Place - will suggest checking it out. :)

I'm quite excited - just have to share. My teacher down here in the deepest West Country (where there's precious little high quality adult ballet training) has just completed the Progressive Ballet Technique course at the RAD and is planning weekend workshops to teach it at my home studio. It's going to be great to add another skill set! My teacher offers really high quality teaching, and gets complete beginners dancing in a relaxed but technically correct environment. She runs the studio mostly for children, but I really appreciate her dedication to improving the dance teaching for all of us! 

• Like 8

Hi Kate_N

You will really enjoy PBT, I was introduced to it at RAD Associates at Elmhurst as part of their Body Conditioning class. Unfortunately we never quite know what we are going to get until the day with Body Conditioning as it taught by various different teachers, and its down to the teacher as to what they put into that class, some teachers bias it heavily on preparing the feet for pointe etc, but its always interesting and enjoyable.

However a few months ago when I was on the hunt for a new Ballet Studio to hire near to my boyfriends home, I came across a school with teacher that taught PBT, she teaches it three times a week. I now attend her Thursday class and have done so for a while now, sadly that class is not well attended, as at least 50% of the time, I am her only student, but she seems quite happy to keep teaching it to me as a one-to-one, for me it’s really fantastic, but she always manages to bring out those extra little challenges. I think the hardest thing is not the exercises themselves but the stamina needed to keep going through a whole track of music; it certainly is strength building as well as enhancing balance.

My teacher recommends PBT is done three times a week, it will be interesting to hear your teachers take on the attendance of PBT

I’m hoping we may get some more PBT at Elmhurst tomorrow (Sunday).

Would be difficult for most to attend PBT classes three times a week as well as Ballet classes!!

I'm sure once a week would be enough as with all classes intended to support ballet.

In the end though I still feel it's doing the ballet which will increase your strength for what you need to do in a ballet class and of course the other classes won't improve your dance quality or ability to absorb steps and string them together!! So I would personally always opt for more ballet classes .....if they were available....over ballet conditioning etc etc as most people only have so much time in the week.

I'm not saying PBT is not good to do but should not become the main focus in my view if you want to improve your ballet. Just my view.

My teacher was discussing it with me before she went to do her final bit of training last week - she's thinking of running some focused workshops, but also including some of the conditioning exercises in our normal beginners class. Best of both worlds!

Hi Lin

I don’t think this should be seen as something that’s competing, for me I did 4 fitness classes a week anyway, without counting RAD, some of more value than others. Sadly the best one I did, I’ve had to give up as the associated ballet class for that evening has been moved. But never the less I do, do a lot more ballet than body conditioning.

What is interesting Lisa Howard recommends those that follow her “Front Splits Fast” program, do three sessions a week to start with.

My Monday Body Conditioning class occasionally do something very similar using the large Swiss balls and smaller one too. As she is not normally geared up for that I usually take a couple of Swiss balls in of my own.

I like Kate_N teacher’s idea of incorporating Body Conditioning into some of her workshops, what a fantastic place to introduce PBT.

For me I will most probably use a few of the PBT exercise that focus on the areas I want to improve eg a developpe with a sustained high extension, but there are so many more.

Hi Moomin, the school is in the little South Lincolnshire Market Town called “Market Deeping”.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Doreen is the oldest to have taken an exam (Grade 6 at 61) https://www.rad.org.uk/news/congratulations-doreen & Maureen is the oldest I know of, she has a lovely story too. I've been asked to partake on a piece on BBC radio tonight prompted by Maureen so will be talking adult ballet & how great it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a quick search but my search terms haven't brought anything back plus searing Google is proving fairly fruitless!  Some of you know me as a dance mum but probably don't know that, like some of you, I am also a thwarted ballerina!  It's a long story but mostly had parents who don't believe in careers on the stage so I was only allowed the bare minimum of ballet classes as a child and no encouragement.  Needless to say, I did what I could and took ballet classes until I was 28, latterly at Dance Attic in Fulham when my love for Lindy Hop took over.  Anyway, I haven't danced for approx 15 years and keep looking for adult ballet classes near where I now live without much success (both my hubby and DDs want me to get back to dancing, particularly my eldest who is now at vocational school).

Do any of you know of any suitable classes in the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire area - I live in Faringdon, Oxfordshire which lies between Oxford and Swindon.  I have to admit I don't want to drive miles and unfortunately my younger DD's dance school in Swindon doesn't offer adult ballet classes, only tap.  I also don't know what level I should be looking at, having gone up through the old RAD syllabus, leaving school at 17.5 in Elementary and then doing open classes at Surrey University, Laines and Bagshot before moving to London in my 20's.  Since having the girls, my fitness and suppleness have gone down the river really but that's not a reason to not try again!

There are some excellent classes in Oxford - recommended to me by someone who used to post on the old Ballet.co.uk site (I know some of you will remember her!). Susie Crow runs a wonderful adult ballet programme in central-ish Oxford. I haven't had the opportunity of taking class with Ms Crow, but I have skived off a work conference in Oxford to do the Friday night class with another teacher, Karen Sellick, who has retired now, I think?  But all classes in this programme are highly recommended!

Here's the link:  Ballet in Small Spaces

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

The RAD have just organised their next set of adult associate classes at Elmhurst, Birmingham which are available to book on Eventbrite. There's also a handful of repertoire workshops which take place during the afternoon on the same dates.

I've just finished the last round of associates on Sunday and my hips are still aching from the body conditioning class. It was good fun but doing 3 hours of ballet afterwards and then driving home afterwards always makes me hurt for a few days afterwards.

• Like 2

Many thanks everyone, I will explore these. I know Swindon Dance as a parent as my elder DD used to dance there and had come across the Ballet in small Spaced so lovely to hear some feedback on it. Now to pluck up the courage to call up & go!

Hello dancefanatic. I can highly recommend Ali Maxwell's adult ballet in Chipping Norton about 40 mins from Farringdon.  3 X adult classes per week a mix of levels and some former pro dancers come along to the classes which are consistently excellent. She runs a repertoire class every few weeks on the weekends, Swan Lake this Sunday. Great supportive atmosphere and everyone is super friendly and feels really inspired by Ali's expertise & amazing teaching. 

• Like 1

I just noticed some RAD 18+ Repertoire classes at Elmhurst in Birmingham & thought I'd share, for some reason they don't show on the main RAD website.

I've linked to the listing with the early bird discount.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/coppelia-adult-repertoire-workshop-birmingham-tickets-34232148277?discount=earlybird10 Coppelia Sept 24th

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/la-sylphide-adult-repertoire-workshop-birmingham-tickets-34232395015?discount=earlybird10 La Sylphide Oct 15th

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/nutcracker-adult-repertoire-workshop-birmingham-tickets-34232412066?discount=earlybird10 Nutcracker Nov 19th

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/giselle-adult-repertoire-workshop-birmingham-tickets-34232437141?discount=earlybird10 Giselle Jan 14th

I may be going to some of these ;) but I never post where I am or going to be publicly for my own safety <3 x

• Like 1