Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

I've been 'lurking' on here for a while, but felt compelled to sign up and post after seeing Terpsichore's review of.. my regular ballet class! :)

Anyway - Terpsichore, I'm so glad you enjoyed the class, and sorry about my adopted home city's terrible road system - I still get lost! The class was a bit different from what we've been used to - more time on the barre and a bit of a faster pace in the centre - but I thought Fiona was great :) I usually stay for the Improvers and Beginners Pointe (though I'm not back on pointe yet, but working towards it) but wasn't able to last night. It would be lovely to say hello if you come through to Sheffield again!

First let me welcome you to this forum. I am delighted that you have joined. 

You will definitely see me next week. I would like to have come the week after next but I have an appeal to argue on the 27. You will also see me whenever Fiona cancels a class in Huddersfield which happens if she can't get a quorum for her Tuesday class.

I will look out for you next week.   I was the old lady at the stern of the travelling bar on the port side.

I come to Sheffield quite frequently so am used to the traffic.   I chair the Sheffield inventors club and I have a lot of other connections with the city.  I can usually find my way around.

I did a little bit of Highland dancing when I was at St Andrews. In fact it was the Highland dancing teacher who led me into ballet.  I had only a few lessons at each but enjoyed both tremendously.

You speak a lot of sense about levels of classes.  As I was not sure of the level of the improvers class I texted Fiona at the weekend to see whether she thought I could cope with it and she replied that I could.  

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 2

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all!

I've been 'lurking' on here for a while, but felt compelled to sign up and post after seeing Terpsichore's review of.. my regular ballet class! :)

Hello Red and welcome to the Forum.  I do hope that we will hear more from you now that you have come out of the lurking shadows!

• Like 2

First let me welcome you to this forum. I am delighted that you have joined. 

You will definitely see me next week. I would like to have come the week after next but I have an appeal to argue on the 27. You will also see me whenever Fiona cancels a class in Huddersfield which happens if she can't get a quorum for her Tuesday class.

I will look out for you next week.   I was the old lady at the stern of the travelling bar on the port side.

I come to Sheffield quite frequently so am used to the traffic.   I chair the Sheffield inventors club and I have a lot of other connections with the city.  I can usually find my way around.

I did a little bit of Highland dancing when I was at St Andrews. In fact it was the Highland dancing teacher who led me into ballet.  I had only a few lessons at each but enjoyed both tremendously.

You speak a lot of sense about levels of classes.  As I was not sure of the level of the improvers class I texted Fiona at the weekend to see whether she thought I could cope with it and she replied that I could.

Thank you for all the lovely welcomes!

Terpsichore, fantastic that you'll be there again next week, I should be there for the Beginners class at least. I think I've figured out who you are (had to think about the shipping directions a bit there, and certainly didn't see any old ladies! ;) ) I was on the main barre, I'm quite short, with reddish (dyed) hair with a fringe, and glasses.

My dance school when I was young focussed on ballet and Highland - our teachers used to recommend that the Highland dancers did ballet to help their technique, and ballet dancers to take Highland for extra strength and stamina. Apparently my jumps are fairly good and I suspect that years of bouncing up and down in the Fling and Sword Dance had some influence there!

Thanks for posting those brilliant videos Spannerandpony - off to have a good watch of those...

• Like 2

I can definately see the connection between Highland dancers and young girls doing ballet. Maybe it`s because they have their hair in a bun like the ballet students,and their posture,but there is more to it too,just the way they move. So i`m not surprised when you say that they also used to take ballet lessons. You can see it .

• Like 1

One of the reasons why I love watching ballet is that each dancer brings a different flavour to a role. They might do this by their own projection / acting / expression, but sometimes they achieve this by actually changing the steps. So every Odette / Odile is different. Every Aurora is different. Sometimes this interpretation works with the overall narrative, sometimes it doesn't. And it makes me then think why one particular interpretation worked and another didn't.

And also leads to the question of if we can really still say "choreography by Petipa" because over time the choreography must have changed so much. What I wouldn't give for a time machine to go back to the Petipa era and see those ballets when they first premiered.

Sorry might have gone off topic a bit...!!

• Like 2

Terpsichore, fantastic that you'll be there again next week, I should be there for the Beginners class at least. I think I've figured out who you are (had to think about the shipping directions a bit there, and certainly didn't see any old ladies! ;) ) I was on the main barre, I'm quite short, with reddish (dyed) hair with a fringe, and glasses.

My dance school when I was young focussed on ballet and Highland - our teachers used to recommend that the Highland dancers did ballet to help their technique, and ballet dancers to take Highland for extra strength and stamina. Apparently my jumps are fairly good and I suspect that years of bouncing up and down in the Fling and Sword Dance had some influence there!

I've just returned from Fiona's Wednesday night class at Huddersfield University. I also bumped into her in Sainsburys afterwards.  She enjoyed her first week at Hype Dance very much. You guys must have impressed her and you certainly impressed me.

All my contemporaries at St Andrews who did ballet also did Highland dancing though the converse was not true. There are many similarities and parallels.   Both require precision and concentration.

Despite your kind words I really am now too slow and too weak to take up Highland dancing again.  However, your post prompted me to reconsider Scottish country dancing. I see that there are RSCDS branches in Brighouse, Leeds, Sheffield and Wakefield. I shall contact them in due course.

Looking forward to seeing you next week.

• Like 3

I can definately see the connection between Highland dancers and young girls doing ballet. Maybe it`s because they have their hair in a bun like the ballet students,and their posture,but there is more to it too,just the way they move. So i`m not surprised when you say that they also used to take ballet lessons. You can see it .

Yep, there are a lot of similarities in technique. The differences confused me sometimes when I was doing a lot of classes, e.g. I used to have to keep remembering to switch my hands from Highland to ballet 'mode'!

Despite your kind words I really am now too slow and too weak to take up Highland dancing again.  However, your post prompted me to reconsider Scottish country dancing. I see that there are RSCDS branches in Brighouse, Leeds, Sheffield and Wakefield. I shall contact them in due course.

Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Brilliant! Having grown up in Scotland I associate Scottish country dancing with our annual school Christmas dances, which were.. well, you can imagine the general embarrassment and chaos that surrounded trying to get a load of teenagers to dance with each other... :D The actual dancing was great fun though. I searched for Highland classes locally a while ago, thinking about trying it again, but couldn't find anything nearby. I've been to the jazz classes at Hype a few times, and really want to do more of that - again, lots of similarities to ballet but the differences definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone.

Loving all the different videos - so inspiring :)

• Like 3

This morning students of the Northern Ballet Academy's Over 55 Class danced in the space behind the Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre. This theatre is attached to Northern Ballet's studios and offices. Both Northern Ballet and visiting companies have danced there. The thought of dancing on the boards where many of my heroes and heroines have danced is quite delicious but also quite daunting. I find it far more formidable than presenting a difficult case to a tetchy judge.

We had our first run through today and the ballet is beginning to take shape.  It is a wonderful experience and one that I had never expected. Certainly not at my time of life.

• Like 6

This morning students of the Northern Ballet Academy's Over 55 Class danced in the space behind the Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre. This theatre is attached to Northern Ballet's studios and offices. Both Northern Ballet and visiting companies have danced there. The thought of dancing on the boards where many of my heroes and heroines have danced is quite delicious but also quite daunting. I find it far more formidable than presenting a difficult case to a tetchy judge.

We had our first run through today and the ballet is beginning to take shape.  It is a wonderful experience and one that I had never expected. Certainly not at my time of life.

How exciting! And lovely to meet you tonight, hope you enjoyed the class again. I'm really enjoying being made to think about everything in such detail - ribs, ribs, ribs!

• Like 1

How exciting! And lovely to meet you tonight, hope you enjoyed the class again. I'm really enjoying being made to think about everything in such detail - ribs, ribs, ribs!

It was lovely to meet you too.  

I thank you and everyone else in the beginners and improvers classes for your very welcome.   I felt very much at home. 

As you can see, Fiona is a good teacher so I shall follow her back to Huddersfield when your new permanent teacher takes over the beginners and improvers' classes but I will come back as often as possible.

Last night's class was so moving.

One of the people I know from that class had come back to ballet after nearly a year off ballet.  She had a stroke which then caused her to be hospitalised for months on end.  From the very beginning she was determined to go back to ballet again, no matter what, which initially medical experts were not so sure about.

She recovered well enough to be discharged from the hospital about a few month ago, working very hard, re-learning to walk and all other things, and now she is back in the class room, dancing ballet again!

Such a precious thing, being in a class and dancing...

• Like 14

Last night's class was so moving.

One of the people I know from that class had come back to ballet after nearly a year off ballet.  She had a stroke which then caused her to be hospitalised for months on end.  From the very beginning she was determined to go back to ballet again, no matter what, which initially medical experts were not so sure about.

She recovered well enough to be discharged from the hospital about a few month ago, working very hard, re-learning to walk and all other things, and now she is back in the class room, dancing ballet again!

Such a precious thing, being in a class and dancing...

I found your contribution uplifting and endorse wholeheartedly your last paragraph. I wish your colleague all the best.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just been talking to my previous ballet teacher via Facebook. Gosh, I miss her and my old classmates. Then spoke to my new one. I have felt I have been going backwards recently and have been very close to giving up, except I couldn't bear to. I am now committed to more ballet classes and instructions from my old teacher not to be so daft plus encouragement from my new one. :D

• Like 5

It's hard when you get to that point Fiz but if you can keep turning up to classes and not being too hard on yourself I am sure you will settle into enjoying it or if not-try a different class? When you build up a bit of momentum you start to see progress which in turn builds more motivation????

• Like 3

Thanks, Balleteacher. The trouble is that I am too hard on myself as my previous teacher and my new one both pointed out. I must try to be kinder to myself as well as trying hard! ;)

• Like 2

Love that saying Balleteacher! :)

I hope you're feeling more positive Fiz.

Looking like I will only be able to get to the one beginners class this week, though looking into a couple of other options for later in the week. Booked into a couple of daytime pilates sessions at least, and a Latin dance 'taster session' at lunchtime tomorrow which I'm really looking forward to.

• Like 1

I feel more frustrated than anything else, Red! I was feeling much more positive thanks to the lovely people here and my ballet teachers but...I can't manage class tonight as my drama daughter is in a show. OK, except I have a persistent low grade virus which has raised its ugly head again and makes both the show and tomorrow night's class look very unlikely. Next week I can do the Monday class but we are having a mini holiday in York starting next Tuesday! I am looking forward to that as it is years since we have been there but I also want to get my new class timetable started. Ah well, you can't have everything! :)

Treat yourself to something nice in Betty's in York then Fiz!! If going to the Cathedral try and get there as early as possible before too many other visitors arrive to get a bit more atmosphere and there is a reasonable costing car park down by the river!! So you can walk by the river into the old town.

Hope you have a good time anyway!

• Like 3

Treat yourself to something nice in Betty's in York then Fiz!! If going to the Cathedral try and get there as early as possible before too many other visitors arrive to get a bit more atmosphere and there is a reasonable costing car park down by the river!! So you can walk by the river into the old town.

Hope you have a good time anyway!

I agree that Betty's is an absolute must! I did a ghost walk one evening that was one of the comedy ones. It started in the Shambles and was truly hilarious. There are some truly fascinating churches in York as well as the Minster. I enjoy walking round the city walls and on the riverbank too.

York is such a wonderful city that you will run out of time!

• Like 5

Oh yes, Betty's is a great idea!

Understand your frustration Fiz, as my weeks are a bit of a balancing act at the moment trying to fit everything in! Hopefully you'll be back in the swing of it soon.

Made the Tuesday beginners class this week - great to see Terpsichore again plus one of her colleagues from Huddersfield. Another different teacher and yet another approach to things. It was generally at a slower pace which I found a good opportunity to concentrate on posture and doing everything more precisely. We did some excellent work on getting our arm positions right which I could still feel the next day!

Exciting news that we might be putting together a routine for the 'Chance to Dance' festival in Sheffield in July too.

I've just come back from a lunchtime class at the gym and as we were finishing off with our stretches followed by "give yourself a clap" I was thinking how nice that little round of applause at the end of a dance/ gym class is. Just that little moment of bonding when you thank the instructor and congratulate yourself and each other for a job well done. Life seems better with small celebrations like that...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...