Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

Is there something special about a student's relationship with his or her first or main teacher?

I have had lessons from four teachers since I came back to ballet last year and I have appreciated and learned something from each of them (I might add en passant that I have picked up some really useful tips from all the all teachers who contribute to this section of the Forum) but it is the teacher who led me back into ballet who somehow draws the last ounce of energy and concentration. And I dig deep for that last ounce out of respect and even affection for that teacher.

Both Dame Antoinette Sibley two weeks ago and Madame Glurdjidze last Monday spoke about their principal teachers with similar affection.

Also en passant, I love this clip from today's Manchester Guardian, don't you?

Edited by terpsichore

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow! I found out this afternoon that one school only takes a week off a Christmas and the other a fortnight at Christmas and a week at Easter! That is amazing as ever dance school my dds or I have attended were geared to the school terms and holidays. I am so pleased.

• Like 3

Where is the silver swans then in the south.....is it at RAD Headquarters in London?

Was at the RAD on Saturday on a workshop which I will report back on. We were in the Fonteyn studio....nice and big but by the time we finished the main part was closed.

In London "open ballet" classes usually mean Intermediate to advanced level (with occasional professionals and ex - professionals in) and are not always that suitable for beginners or those with less than about 3 years experience.

It will be interesting to see what they reply Terpischore......it would be great if he is running this at a slightly simpler level then I can definitely recommend and may have a go myself if happen to be in London on a Wednesday. The studios will be fantastic as well!

Well guys, I've just got my answer from the Royal Ballet School:

"Thank you for your enquiry about our Adult Ballet Open Class. We hope the information below answers your questions and look forward to seeing you in class.

Description of the class: this is an inspiring recreational class, accompanied by a musician, set at a General level for adults with some previous experience of ballet. Paul works hard to ensure that participants of all abilities enjoy and benefit from the class.

Day and time: Wednesdays, 7.00 – 8.30 pm.

Venue: Upper School, 46 Floral Street, Covent Garden, London WC2E 9DA. Doors open from 6.30 pm.

This term’s dates: Wednesday 12 February – Wednesday 2 April (including half term – Weds 19 February). Easter holiday: Weds 9 & 16 April

Teacher: Paul Lewis, RBS 1st Year Boys’ teacher.

Cost: £10 per class, payable to the teacher on the evening (this will be payable via our website soon, but not yet).  This is currently a drop-in class with a maximum of 30 in the class. This is a new initiative and we thank you for your patience while we set up online booking. Until then, please call our Enquiries team on 0207 836 8899 on Wednesdays after 11 am to book your place for the evening class."

In everyday language the words "Paul works hard to ensure that participants of all abilities enjoy and benefit from the class" suggests that he and the school would let big, fat, elderly hippopotamuses with no natural aptitude but a lifelong love of ballet and an eagerness to learn like me into his class and that we would actually learn something.

Now of course I am not taking those words at face value because they are meant to be read by a skilled addressee (that is to say lithe and lovely dancers like you lot and Alison who speaks the same language about me knows all about donning the mantle of skilled addresses). No doubt the school has in mind super fit 20 somethings who have reached RAD grade 6 or above.   Nevertheless I think it is worth my while hoofing down to London on Wednesday to find out. As I said before they can only show me the door and I am sure they would do that with the utmost courtesy.

If they do throw me out it won't be a disaster, Having spent the whole of Saturday watching the wonderful teachers of the Northern Ballet Academy I probably have more than enough resources to maximize my miserable potential right here. I have two wonderful teachers at Northern Ballet and Huddersfield University whom I adore. However, the experience of spending an hour or so in one of the finest (if not the finest) ballet schools in the world would be tremendous.

Yesterday, some small girls from a ballet school in Oldham danced with Arionel Vargas and Elena Glurdjidze in Stockport and you should have seen their grins and that of their teacher when they took their bows. (Incidentally you should also have seen the lovely smile on Glurdjidze's face when she was with those children which is why I am such a fan of hers). By similarly touching greatness in Floral Street I know just how those kids must have felt.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing the reply from RBS.  The standard, helpful but even more mystifying response I thought you would get...

I would imagine Paul Lewis would use "General" meaning "intermediate (as is RAD's grade)" upwards. So what LinMM wrote still stands.  The difference in ability between intermediate to advanced (2) is quite huge, so "effort to accomodate" must be read and understood in that context.

(In fact, he would not even like the word "intermediate" - he would be thinking "elementary"!)

As I wrote before, he has a quite determined "followers", so even if this class was meant to have accomodated wider audience than his usual class, the level of the class would probablly revert to suit these followers - advance-ish.

Oh, and may I add that most of them (followers) are not super skinny 20 somethings some would be nearly 60, and while not super-slim, not hippos.  They either danced seriously when young, or some of them have been dancing as adults for over 10 years.  Some, of course, are ex-professional dancers. 

Not trying to put anyone off, but so that you know what to expect. 

Edited by mimi66

Based on what I know I would have to agree with Mimi. It's impossible to get a one size fits all open class and some may just want to go to experience this. I would say probably at least 3 years ballet experience as a rough guide but then there have been a few students whom I have taught with natural aptitude who have progressed much faster.

Oh, and may I add that most of them (followers) are not super skinny 20 somethings some would be nearly 60, and while not super-slim, not hippos.  They either danced seriously when young, or some of them have been dancing as adults for over 10 years.  Some, of course, are ex-professional dancers. 

Not trying to put anyone off, but so that you know what to expect. 

Clearly I don't tick may of those boxes. I am at least 5 years older than the very oldest. I did take some classes when I was an undergraduate but my first class after that was a mixed age mixed ability (I was the mixture) in December 2012.

..................... some may just want to go to experience this. .............................................

That's good enough for me. I learned a lot from Chris Hinton-Lewis at Northern Ballet and Adam Podney from Pineapple even though I was nowhere near the other students. But I could still do some of the things the other students could do which gave me some satisfaction.

My only hesitation is taking up a place of which someone else could make better use.

By the way, I am exaggerating a little bit about my unfitness. I have jogged ever since I was a graduate student in California and I work out regularly in the gym. I have never smoked and I drink a glass of wine with a meal only very occasionally such as on Friday when it happened to be my birthday. I used to play a lot of sports at school and university.  I still pick up a cricket bat or tennis racket or make up the numbers for volleyball.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 2

Go for it, you have just as much right to give it a try as anyone else!

Surely taking just one class can't do any harm.  

I think one also has to be very clear why one is doing ballet classes. In my case it is to learn the vocabulary and grammar of dance so that I can appreciate the art that much more.

I know one can enjoy a ballet without ever taking a class just as one can enjoy Beethoven without playing a note but in learning just the basics one discerns structures and patterns that were previously obscured.

Good for you!

I wish some of my students and their parents had the reverse mentality and actually go and see Ballet performances in order to enhance their learning.

Some seem to think that a one off trip to see Nutcracker when they were little is sufficient...

• Like 2

I wish some of my students and their parents had the reverse mentality and actually go and see Ballet performances in order to enhance their learning.

Some seem to think that a one off trip to see Nutcracker when they were little is sufficient...

That's very similar to what I say to my law students. You can't understand evidence unless you see a trial and you can't understand any branch of the law unless you understand evidence.

PS

I can think of only one subject that one may be able to teach in a vacuum and that is advanced mathematics, but I am not even sure of that. Perhaps @davetriesballet (who is a mathematician) will tell us,one day.

Anyway ballet must certainly be taught in the context of the theatre. Last year I took a lady from my ballet class who was in her 30s down to the Coliseum to see a ballet for the first time. It happened to be Serenade which is probably the best possible ballet to start with and it was danced by Boston Ballet who are excellent. The enormous joy on her face as the curtain rose was a marvel to behold.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 3

Please do not feel you are taking up a place. The fact that you think that way would mean that you have huge awareness of other members of the class and this in itself makes for safe integration into a class even if you find it to be taxing. You can always stop towards the end if it gets too hard. So much can be learned from watching others in terms of aspiring to what you like and observing common faults which can often be seen better on someone else. As long as you work within your capacity, follow the teacher's lead and stop if you feel there is a risk to you or other dancers in doing say a turning step which you might go 'off piste' ????then you should be in a good and receptive position to learn and enjoy.

• Like 2

Some of the posts above reminded me of this one occasion I realised there are such thing as ballet specific fitness.

I was in a very ballet specific floorbarre class. One day, there is an ex-athlete - a middle distance runner.  According to her she was competing at national level (as opporsed to intra-state level) in the States when young. She was in her early 30's and her physique (muscles and all that!) I think matched with what she said or very nearly.

Once the class started, we were all surprised - she was struggling so much, while some of us who had been going to that specific floor barre class for about 6 months were doing fine.

We were all much older than this ex-athlete, one of them over 65, and looked so unfit ( and older) compared to the ex-athlete.  One difference, however, was the length of doing ballet regularly (x3 a week basis) - nearly a decades, and some nearly 30 years (on top of the childhood ballet experience).

Of course, if she kept coming to the class I think that ex-athlete would have improved very quickly (we never saw her again).

Perseverance over a period of time (as a hobby) does bring some sweet moments sometimes!

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1

I would like to give this class a try but it could not be on a regular basis. As its on a Wednesday it's my favourite Russian class night in Brighton so would not make a special journey up to London but half terms may be okay......not sure if I understood correctly that the class will be on in half terms but not school holidays......which would have been another good time to try.

However if am up in London for other reasons on a Wednesday would be happy to give it a go! So probably a while yet!

I would give it a go Terpischore hopefully he may split the class in the centre and give a harder and easier option for the groups.

If doing piqué turns and the music is a bit fast and you re worried about hitting people then you can always do without the turn to practice the balance etc. ....or do soutenus turns instead! or do one turn, one balance, etc anything which helps you to do what you ARE doing WELL rather than messing up something too complicated for you. The things I simplify are say doing an assemble instead of a brisee or only beating one changement instead of two that sort of thing.

I did a lovely RAD workshop on Saturday will report back later on this!!

By the way thanks for the piccie Michelle!! At least my black tunic suits the role!!

Where is the silver swans then in the south.....is it at RAD Headquarters in London?

Was at the RAD on Saturday on a workshop which I will report back on. We were in the Fonteyn studio....nice and big but by the time we finished the main part was closed.

I think the RAD are rolling out the programme region by region in conjunction with local dance schools. They started in Scotland and now have  programme in the North based on schools in Haslingden, Richmond and Glossop.  If you care to check out my profile and click the website you will find articles on and links to the Scottish and Northern programmes. It will tell you what has happened in those parts of the country and you can decide whether they are of any interest if and when the programme is rolled out in Sussex.

I hope I have not broken any rules.

Please do not feel you are taking up a place. The fact that you think that way would mean that you have huge awareness of other members of the class and this in itself makes for safe integration into a class even if you find it to be taxing. You can always stop towards the end if it gets too hard. So much can be learned from watching others in terms of aspiring to what you like and observing common faults which can often be seen better on someone else. As long as you work within your capacity, follow the teacher's lead and stop if you feel there is a risk to you or other dancers in doing say a turning step which you might go 'off piste' then you should be in a good and receptive position to learn and enjoy.

Thanks. I appreciate all your comments and remarks on this and other subjects relating to doing dance. I have learned a lot from you and the others here for which I am really grateful. I know that you are all giving me sound advice.

I survived Adam and Chris's classes by  working within my capacity, following the teacher's lead etc. as you suggest.

Another factor that I have to consider is that I would have to give up my class at Huddersfield University with a teacher who knows me better than anyone. She has led me from where I was in 2010 - a pretty bad emotional and physical shape following the loss of my partner of 32 years to motor neurone disease- to now (game for anything and really chirpy). She says go for it if I can do it but warns me of the logistics of a 450 mile return journey and that I am now 65.  

It needs a lot of thought and I have to keep in mind the reason I am doing these classes which is to appreciate ballet better.

[...]  So much can be learned from watching others in terms of aspiring to what you like and observing common faults which can often be seen better on someone else. [...]

Reminded me of lovely moments shown in various Vaganova documentary films.  Little 1st years peeking through the glass door to watch likes of Lopatkina practice Odette's solo... Or watching 5th year students's class.

An important part of Vaganova tradition and education, I think.  Also I have seen POB etoiles demonstrating thier dance (in normal leotards) at POB School. The film was shot in mid-80's, and I hope they still do it.

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 2

Reminded me of lovely moments shown in various Vaganova documentary films.  Little 1st years peeking through the glass door to watch likes of Lopatkina practice Odette's solo... Or watching 5th year students's class.

An important part of Vaganova tradition and education, I think.  Also I have seen POB etoiles demonstrating thier dance (in normal leotards) at POB School. The film was shot in mid-80's, and I hope they still do it.

I saw that in practice twice this weekend:

1. On Saturday when I watched Yoko Ichino teach the senior students at the Northern Ballet Academy.  I felt privileged to see a ballerina pass on her art to the next generation..   Even I learned a lot from watching Ichino and indeed the school's other excellent teachers. No doubt the students who were also in the audience learned even more.  I have written all about it in my post on Northern Ballet's open day.
  2. On Sunday when the children from Sarah England School in Oldham performed two short dances with Elena Glurdjidze in Cinderella. I think I have already mentioned the lovely smile on the ballerina's face.  Incidentally, he told the London Ballet Circle last Monday that she hopes to teach and perhaps open her own school. She is teaching an Easter class in Bristol in April though she made clear that she still has plenty of ambitions on stage to fulfil which is good to hear.

Hugs, Terpsichore. x

Thank you Fiz :-) x

Edited by terpsichore

Been to a class last night.

The usual teacher was away last night, and we had a delightful teacher covering. 

So nice to have a different teacher sometimes, as they all have a different way of explaining things and that leads to new discoveries!

• Like 1

I have just come back from class and am on a high which doesn't happen very often.

Everything went well not just for me but for the other students too.

Our teacher played some lovely music from Monotones and Spartacus which prompted us to do our best.

• Like 4

Well, tonight is the night...  Wishing everyone who wants to go to Paul Lewis's class good luck - to have enough places for all of you and that you all enjoy your class!

(no, I am not going, I have to watch the figure skating tonight!!!).

• Like 4

I have already sent my good wishes to Fiz on twitter.

As yesterday went so well I decided to go to my teacher's second class at Huddersfield University.

I am rather glad I did because I got talking to a young Vietnamese graduate student who was about to take her first class. I told her what to expect with the warm up, barre work and various centre exercises to music.  She proved to be very good and she got through the bare work and port de bras, various types of turns and jumps as well as any of us. On the way out she said that she wished she could do more classes so I told her about Northern Ballet's open classes.  I also told her about David Wilson who also started ballet as a graduate student and danced yesterday with Vargas and Glurdjidze and gave her the URL of his blog.

I am grateful to the RBS for responding encouragingly to my enquiry but there are only 30 places on the open course, there are scores of dancers who could benefit from it more than me, I have two good teachers here and at Northern Ballet ballet who can help me realize my potential and I may have been useful today to the young graduate student.  .

Tomorrow I attend Annemarie Donoghue's class in Leeds for the over 55s where I always have fun and learn a lot. Had I gone to London tonight I would have been very tired tomorrow. Maybe I'll take it another year but for now and with apologies to Voltainre "tout est pour le mieux dans la meilleure des classes possible."

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 2

Wasn't it dispointing, Mimi? No ballet for me either tonight. I'm just getting over a virus which felled me on Monday and yesterday. :(

Gosh,  hope you are feeling better after a bit of rest (though I know that mothers never truely  rest :( ).  take care, xx mimi66

• Like 1

So nice to hear lots of people are having good classes at the moment! 

I am rather glad I did because I got talking to a young Vietnamese graduate student who was about to take her first class. I told her what to expect with the warm up, barre work and various centre exercises to music.  She proved to be very good and she got through the bare work and port de bras, various types of turns and jumps as well as any of us. On the way out she said that she wished she could do more classes so I told her about Northern Ballet's open classes.  I also told her about David Wilson who also started ballet as a graduate student and danced yesterday with Vargas and Glurdjidze and gave her the URL of his blog.

Thank you for passing on my blog details Terpsichore - hope she finds it useful - and glad you had a good class! I also love your slight adaptation of the Voltaire quote - is that from Candide? (I'm only guessing because of the "best of all possible worlds" song from Candide). 

I'm still on a high from the Cinderella performance on Sunday (despite my PhD/careers stuff trying it's best to bet me down) - I still can't quite believe it happened! I can't believe I got the opportunity to dance with Glurdjidze and Vargas - ballet dreams must indeed come true. Unfortunately this week is half-term so no classes for me - frustrating, especially when I'm stressed with work and could do with the mental release of a ballet class (nothing better than just "dancing it out"!). I took Monday off to give my legs a rest (they were completely dead after Sunday's performance!) but went to the gym Tuesday and yesterday. Annoyingly I must have done something funny (although I have no idea what) as my left achilles is really sore today - and this is the other foot to the one I injured in January! I swear I'm falling apart at times. It's very sore at the moment (very similar to the pain I had in the right achilles in January) but I'm hoping resting for the rest of the week will help. 

Very jealous of those at the RBS class - hoping it'll be a permanent fixture so that if I move to London I can start taking it!

• Like 4

Forgot to add I hope they will add classes at different levels at the RBS but I think from what Michelle was saying last nights class was probably an Intermediate/Advanced level class.

I hope so too.  

Based on what I heard from the grapevine, this class sounds more of the case for RBS opening its door to "public" as in non-RBS trained vocational students or vocational school graduates who is doing the audition rounds, with some equally accomplished recreational dancers as "guests". Not sure if it is exactly what was intended, but I think this is really a good thing.

Adding another class with different level would only be fair for everyone involved. Somhow, I don't think it is Paul Lewis who will be teaching that class...just my guess.

Edited to add that, given the fierce competition to win a place at ballet schools and in a ballet company, I think this is really good of RBS. Contrary to what many adult recreational dancers may think, there are not that many place where (particularly) vocational school graduates can take classes to meet their training requirements.

I think these talented and dedicated young dancers deserve more supports - particulaly from us recreational dancers.

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1