The Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, 2015-16

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone do a production of Nutcracker with Clara being played by an 11 year old girl?  ENB in the old days used to do one, and I thought having a proper little girl made it all the more appealing to children.  At least it did to me when I was a child. 

I believe this is what happens in Russia, where Mariinsky's (Vainonen) Nutracker  still has a first/second year Vaganova student as the younger Masha (Clara), and a senior girl playing the older Masha - You can see lots of rehearsals and actual performances on Youtube eg. a nice feature (though I don't understand a word) about the preparations of Polina Kongray - then a 2nd year student. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcmogfyQZgM ). They also use young children in the quite demanding Mirlitons pas de trois, which the school has often performed in other settings.

• Like 1

I may have got this wrong but when the RB streams a performance to cinemas don't they usually record a performance of the same cast before the date of the performance to be streamed?

Although scheduled to do so Bonelli did not dance last night. The slip of paper announcing the cast change stated that Bonelli was not dancing due to injury. His replacement Alexander Campbell although only just tall enough to partner Morera managed his duties extremely well.Morera and Campbell were altogether warmer than the Salenko, McRae pairing. Salenko and McRae give the impression that they believe that their performance consists of steps and music while Morera and Campbell seem to treat steps and music as elements to be used to create a performance. Morera in particular nuanced her performance and added light and shade to the steps she danced and played with the music. Campbell's solos were crisp and clean without being overemphatic. Cervera was clear and clean in his mime and dancing and looked more like a dancer of twenty five or so than a man who has been with the company for twenty two years. It is rather concerning to think that on the day he retired Cervera was still half of the best team of Neapolitan Dancers that the company has had in years.

As you can see from the photographs Cervera received flowers, His colleagues applauded him and he received an additional solo curtain call and one just with Morera. I think that Cervera has been a great dancer in that I have never seen him give a bad performance and I have never seen him short change the audience by cutting the tricky bits in the choreography. He is the one dancer who should have danced Oberon and was always passed over in favour of dancers of higher rank and less aptitude for the role but at least he got the chance to dance Colas several times and I much preferred his interpretation and dancing of the role to Acosta's because the choreography was easily within his range whereas  Acosta seemed to find  bits of it awkward..

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 9

I may have got this wrong but when the RB streams a performance to cinemas don't they usually record a performance of the same cast before the date of the performance to be streamed?

They certainly usually have a 'dry run' but, interestingly, this time, this was not indicated (i.e. no mention of FILMING) in the schedule for Nutcracker.

So the question remains: will Golding dance on Wednesday or won't he? Noone on here has said whether any explanation was offered for his absence last Friday.

There was someone filming on Friday night...he was in the stalls circle standing area just next to the lighting room. I assumed he was doing the dry run, or at least checking out movement, etc., for the real thing on Wednesday.

Capybara....to be honest I didn't notice what it said on the cast sheet as to why Golding was replaced. However...it seems that Bonelli did not then dance the subsequent night because he was injured; hmmm....I hope that one of them recovers, otherwise who will partner Lauren?!

There was someone filming on Friday night...he was in the stalls circle standing area just next to the lighting room. I assumed he was doing the dry run, or at least checking out movement, etc., for the real thing on Wednesday.

That was the production photographer, probably there to get shots of the 'cinema cast', for the website. I can't imagine he was too chuffed at the cast change - unless that cast also dances for the cinema show

Katherine,

To add to your knowledge of English idiomatic phrases a batsman who fails to make a run before he is dismissed is said to be "Out for a duck".

'batsman', 'run', 'dismissed'....this one could really spiral.... ;)       

• Like 1

Thanks BBB for the possible explanation. I'm surprised that someone can't dance the prince two nights in a row...he is only onstage for about 20 minutes!

Maybe Bonelli had to switch his rehearsal time towards Cuthbertson and, even though he had danced the General with Morera, 'management' felt it preferable to prepare someone else (Campbell) as Morera's partner.

The trouble with all this is that it invites speculation tinged with criticism.

As Bonelli rather than Golding danced with Cuthbertson last week perhaps management simply want to make sure that Cuthbertson has a partner available to dance with her this Wednesday whether it is Colding or Bonelli.I think that management might be more concerned about being forced to make a substitution for the SPF than for her prince for a streamed performance. As for the choice of partner for Morera on Saturday evening, Campbell did an excellent job as partner and in his solos. Perhaps management wanted to give him an additional performance or perhaps the fact that several of the company's princes were dancing at the Coliseum was the reason that Campbell was selected to dance. We shall find out who is, or, is not injured on Wednesday evening. 

Actually, I was going to ask - does anyone have more or less the full casting - or extended casting, anyway - for the previous performance by the cinema cast?  I can't quite decide whether or not to go, and further details beyond what will go on the photocopy at the cinema might convince me :)

Alison

This is what I have:

Gary Avis: Herr Drosselmeyer

Federico Bonelli: Prince

Alexander Campbell: Hans-Peter/Nutcracker

Yuhui Choe: Rose Fairy

Francesca Hayward: Clara

Ryoichi Hirano: Mouse King

Paul Kay: Drosselmeyer's Assistant

Elizabeth McGorian: Mrs Stahlbaum

Laura Morera: Sugar Plum Fairy

Christopher Saunders: Dr Stahlbaum

Taylor Yates: Fritz

Sorry about layout. I'm doing this on my phone!

Edited by ambros1a

The cinema broadcast cast that I saw on Friday night was Cuthbertson/Bonelli (instead of Golding)/Avis/Campbell/Hayward and Yasmine Naghdi as Rose Fairy. I can't remember the others because I don't have the cast sheet with me.

Update - latest casting for tomorrow seems to be Kish as the prince so I imagine both Golding and Bonnelli must be injured.  RB are not having the best luck this autumn in terms of healthy principals............

Edited by Lindsay

:wacko:  :wacko:  - I am usually not one to complain about cast changes but after giving the RB's Nutcracker a miss for some time (just needed a Nutcracker break), I am going tomorrow evening  because it's my 50th birthday and I'd hope to see the cast first announced... In any event, I will be going and I will enjoy it I'm sure.   It's pity about the injuries and I hope they aren't serious....

Edited by Jamdancer
  • Like 3

:wacko:  :wacko:  - I am usually not one to complain about cast changes but after giving the RB's Nutcracker a miss for some time (just needed a Nutcracker break), I am going tomorrow evening  because it's my 50th birthday and I'd hope to see the cast first announced... In any event, I will be going and I will enjoy it I'm sure.   It's pity about the injuries and I hope they aren't serious....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR TOMORROW, Jamdancer!  Jx

• Like 4

Further to my comments on another thread about casting principals in "supporting roles", I remembered this truly beautiful performance by Yanowsky as the Rose Fairy and was pleased to track it down on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQZV0D196jI&list=PLF5B477B4D11DDD61&index=16

She is such a fluid dancer and I really wish we could see her do this again.  Not to speak of some pretty good casting all around there - with Cojocaru as Clara and Nunez among the leading flowers...........

• Like 4

Apparently North America is getting the recording from `2009.rather than the live stream. Is that a vote of no confidence in Kish or fear that by tomorrow evening it may be someone completely different dancing the prince? They are working Mr Campbell hard. He must think that he is back on tour with BRB. Hans Peter tomorrow night and the prince  with Morera on Thursday.If it continues like this they may have to ask Cervera to come out of retirement to give Campbell a night off.

The decision to show the 2009 broadcast  predated the various and sundry cast changes.  It's certainly not the sort of thing that is going to build a US audience for these showings.  

I think the majority of attendees in a typical Nutcracker crowd will not care whether it is this year's performance or last year's or one from 5 years ago. I expect there are problems with conflicts with the Bolshoi Nut.

• Like 1