The Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, 2015-16

I think it was usual for applause to start before the end of the grand pdd years ago, I remember a TV documentary where Dame Alicia Markova was coaching an ENB couple and she said they wouldn't hear the music at the end as the audience would probably be applauding.

• Like 1

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I see what you mean re the false endings (though as ever, the clue in the music - and  the fact they are still moving!).

And I try to do the same when applause seems inappropriate and/or breaks the mood - although my enthusiasm does sometimes get the better of me, I can't deny!

• Like 1

A quick question - and I apologise if I should be asking this in a different thread - but I'm coming up to see the Nutcracker on the 5th. Is the ROH still checking bags on entry, and if so, is it adding much to the entry time? Should I come prepared to queue, and for roughly how long? Thanks in advance!

Ah yes I was there 45 mins before so I could dump all my stuff in the cloakroom and then went out to a nearby Nero to get a hot chocolate!! So there was virtually no queue at the point I went in.

Perhaps if you arrive nearer the start time might be a bigger queue but it doesn't take them long to actually check each bag.

A quick question - and I apologise if I should be asking this in a different thread - but I'm coming up to see the Nutcracker on the 5th. Is the ROH still checking bags on entry, and if so, is it adding much to the entry time? Should I come prepared to queue, and for roughly how long? Thanks in advance!

HUGE bag-check queue for today's matinee - you have been waned.

• Like 1

I was really disappointed with the performance yesterday. It felt like the C list main cast and most of them were simply not up to the job sadly. I don't know if it was wrong casting or lack of capability. I was also disappointed with the corps, some of them looked like they were out for a Sunday stroll and lots of wobbly legs at the beginning of Flowers. Just not what I expected from a world class ballet company.

Maybe Nina, but it was embarrassingly poor and I felt let down. This adds to a list of recent variable experiences and I don't think I will be venturing to ROH again for a while. I don't think a handful of stars can make up for the rest of the company, especially if you aren't lucky enough to see the stars.

• Like 1

You get through the bag check queue much more quickly if you go through the Bow Street foyer rather than the entrance next to the box office!  They do try and redirect people there accordingly when there's a massive queue at the latter, but few seem to take any notice...

I was sorry to miss yesterday's matinee in favour of a family birthday (I passed the ticket on to somebody else) - I like Emma Maguire's Clara particularly.  But I'm afraid I'm never sorry to miss Marriott's Drosselmeyer, which I've found in the past to be rather high on camp and very short on magic.

• Like 1

Hi-jacking this thread because I didn't want to start a new one, it's fun to type 'Nutcracker' into Instagram and see all the photographs which come up of Nutcracker performances around the world, many of which seem to be in America, of course. There is a goodly number of human size Nutcracker dolls among the images plus a few huge Nutcracker masks (ENB's is not the only one).

You get through the bag check queue much more quickly if you go through the Bow Street foyer rather than the entrance next to the box office!  They do try and redirect people there accordingly when there's a massive queue at the latter, but few seem to take any notice...

A top tip this one, and I have found it the ebst way too. Don't queue and queue by the revolcing door.Stroll in Bow St way, be met by two ushers at a door and job done.

I've always liked the Royal Ballet's production but this was my first time seeing it post Christmas and I wondered if I would enjoy as much as I had done in previous years. I needn't have worried as I've seen two absolutely cracking performances in the last 24 hours.

Both Claras (O'Sullvan and Hayward) and Sugar Plum Fairies (Nunez and Kaneko) were outstanding. The pas de deux between Vadim and Nunez was particularly beautiful and I'm looking forward even more to seeing them in Giselle. Heap and Cowley were very impressive in the Arabian dance. I especially wanted to mention James Hay who I thought was a terrific Hans-Peter.

• Like 4

So another season of RB Nutcrackers has come to an end. 

Although they do not perform twice every day as do ENB, it must be testing for the company and one senses some relief that it is over.

There have been some lovely performances - for which many thanks. Highlights for me (from 6 viewings) were: Francesca Hayward's Clara, Ricardo Cervera's and Alexander Campbell's Hans Peter, Yasmine Naghdi's and Yuhui Choe's Rose Fairy, Marianela Nunez's SPF, and Vadim Muntagiroov's Prince. Just as enjoyable, however, were all the characterisations (from the children as well as the adults) in Act 1. A special mention here for Teo Dubreil (who sustained his elderly man wonderfully throughout the party scene) and Sacha Barber as a scene-stealing Fritz.

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE  :)

• Like 4

Yes!!!  I suppose I've been spoilt in recent years by having alternatives, but this year I've found it really tedious having wall-to-wall Nutcrackers from both London companies.  Never mind, I saved up my pennies for ENB's Corsaire instead :)

My one disappointment is that I did manage to miss out on a lot of very good Rose Fairies this year, which is a shame.  It's the one variable you can't calculate in your booking.

Last night's final performance of the run was an absolute joy, especially the grand pas de deux - I don't remember seeing any Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince look like they were having THAT much genuine fun separately or together.  And just genuinely beautiful dancing from both Nunez and Muntagirov, as you might expect.  I'm so excited to see them together in Giselle in a couple of months. Though I imagine they won't look quite so cheerful together in that...

I wasn't so keen on Zucchetti as the Nephew, though - thought he danced well, but was disappointing dramatically (underplayed the mime in Act 2, for example).  Preferred Hayward opposite Campbell earlier in the run.

I may have to make it a personal tradition to see Gary Avis's first and last performances in any run of Nutcracker, at least until such time as Gary retires or they replace the production... I've decided that Christmas begins when he chucks his first handful of glitter, and ends when he chucks his last...

• Like 3

Last night's final performance of the run was an absolute joy, especially the grand pas de deux - I don't remember seeing any Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince look like they were having THAT much genuine fun separately or together.  And just genuinely beautiful dancing from both Nunez and Muntagirov, as you might expect.  I'm so excited to see them together in Giselle in a couple of months. Though I imagine they won't look quite so cheerful together in that...

I wasn't so keen on Zucchetti as the Nephew, though - thought he danced well, but was disappointing dramatically (underplayed the mime in Act 2, for example).  Preferred Hayward opposite Campbell earlier in the run.

I may have to make it a personal tradition to see Gary Avis's first and last performances in any run of Nutcracker, at least until such time as Gary retires or they replace the production... I've decided that Christmas begins when he chucks his first handful of glitter, and ends when he chucks his last...

Absolutely agree and am ashamed of myself for not mentioning Gary Avis who, quite simply, IS  Drosselmeyer.

• Like 2

Although they do not perform twice every day as do ENB, it must be testing for the company and one senses some relief that it is over.

There have been some lovely performances - for which many thanks. Highlights for me (from 6 viewings) were: Francesca Hayward's Clara, Ricardo Cervera's and Alexander Campbell's Hans Peter, Yasmine Naghdi's and Yuhui Choe's Rose Fairy, Marianela Nunez's SPF, and Vadim Muntagiroov's Prince. Just as enjoyable, however, were all the characterisations (from the children as well as the adults) in Act 1. A special mention here for Teo Dubreil (who sustained his elderly man wonderfully throughout the party scene) and Sacha Barber as a scene-stealing Fritz.

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE  :)

I'd add Fumi Kaneko as SPF, and Benjamin Ella as Hans Peter

I'd add Fumi Kaneko as SPF, and Benjamin Ella as Hans Peter

I'm sure that they were terrific. Unfortunately, I didn't see them (Ben was a late entry into the casting) but I know how wonderful Fumi is in every role. Much more of her, please KO'H, along with Yasmine and Frankie.

• Like 3