Now dance magazines are no longer available from the Royal Opera House shop, I find I'm really missing out, because it requires a special journey to buy them - assuming I can find them at all - and I haven't got into the habit of automatically looking for them when I'm in the right towns.  I was wondering if readers could flag up items they think might be of particular interest each month (interviews, major reviews, that sort of thing)?  It might help all of us.

Thanks in anticipation :)

• Like 2

I've subscribed to Dance Europe as I decided it was easier and saved me missing out if I am not in London. I like their photos, interviews and reviews. I understand Dancing Times is now including ballroom and has hardly any ballet now.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

I was left feeling slightly underwhelmed by the new format of the Dancing Times...Both magazines can be ordered online and at least Dance Europe has an order of contents available as a PDF. I haven't received either for a couple of months, but will post in the future if I find anything of particular interest.

• Like 1

You can also buy single issues of Dance Europe online (free shipping as well). I've brought a few older issues out of curiosity in the past. Useful if you can't find it in a w h smith.

It is my favourite, having tried out most magazines. From past experience dancing times isn't that content heavy & pointe is aimed more at actual dancers.

Looks like they (dance Europe) have a feature on Tierney Heap/the new Carmen this month, amongst other things :)

(Edited for clarity)

Edited by sylph
  • Like 1

You can also buy single issues of Dance Europe online (free shipping as well). I've brought a few older issues out of curiosity in the past. Useful if you can't find it in a w h smith.

Thanks for that, sylph.  It had never occurred to me.

I was left feeling slightly underwhelmed by the new format of the Dancing Times...Both magazines can be ordered online and at least Dance Europe has an order of contents available as a PDF. I haven't received either for a couple of months, but will post in the future if I find anything of particular interest.

I agree about DT. It seems to have pages and pages of ballroom dancing which I am not especially interested in. I currently subscribe but don't think I'll be renewing.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but count me in with the new-format DT naysayers. I took out a 3 months subscription which included the first issue with ballroom and didn't really fancy carrying it on - ballroom is of nil interest to me. I might check out an issue or two of Dance Europe - thanks for the heads up on single issues, Sylph! 

• Like 1

The new Dancing Times is beyond disappointing. It's not only that the magazine seems to be dominated by ballroom but that the reviews and other elements related to ballet appear to have been reduced. Where previously the Editor (Jonathan Gray) provided perspectives on more than one cast in a major production, this time he excuses himself from reviewing other than the first night dancers for Viscera, Faun and the Tchai pdd on the grounds that he couldn't sit through more than one Carmen

However, this month's featured dancer is Isabelle Brouwers (of ENB) and that is interesting.

I shall not be renewing my subscription either.

I have subscribed to Dance Europe (from Canada, so twice the cost) since it first started. I would like to put in a plug for people subscribing to the print version because in this day and age it's hard for print magazines to stay alive. So it's a use-it-or-lose-it proposition. If we want to have the magazine around for that one time it has an interview with our favourite dancer, we need to support it year round.

• Like 9

Yesterday I cancelled my regular order for the Dancing Times at my local newsagent. I cannot believe it having read it for over 30 years! I really dislike the new format & don't want to read about ballroom dancing at the expense of ballet.

Susan

• Like 2

hate to say it, but for every ballet fan they lose, they probably pick up 2-3 'Strictly' fans...

Strangely enough I love both ballet and Strictly! But I'm not interested in ballroom dancing more generally, I'm afraid, so I do find the new format of DT unhelpful to say the least. And I wonder how many ballroom fans really want all that ballet coverage. I imagine the decision was taken on cost grounds, but it's a great pity in my opinion.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

The January Dance Europe is good, the usual excellent photos, articles about Dutch National Ballet's upcoming Mata Hari, the POB in Nureyev's Bayadere, realise there is a whole new generation of dancers and I don't know any of them, review of Two Pigeons, all worth reading.

• Like 2

Thanks, Beryl.  I had a quick flick through the December Dance Europe in a shop the other day, and didn't immediately spot anything I particularly wanted to read, but will try and look out for the January edition.  Or pop into Westminster Reference Library sometime ...

I really prefer reading Dance Europe to Dancing Times nowadays. The January issue is indeed good and shows Yasmine Naghdi, as Rose Fairy, on its cover. 

I couldn't find it in the newsagent, so ordered it online and it arrived the next day. Which was hugely satisfying, especially at this time of year.

• 4 weeks later...

The February issue of Dance Europe is nothing short of fabulous this month.

Interviews (big) Laura Morera(RB), Young Gyu Choi (DNB), Hannah O"Neill and Katherine Higgins (POB) loads of reviews ...DNB Nutcracker. ENB Corsaire, Estonian Bayadere in Venice...I could go on. I think this issue is so packed full of good stuff it is a definite BUY:-))

• Like 1

Freed stock it. I subscribe so maybe I have had my copy ahead of general release.

Yes, but as I think I pointed out early on in the thread, they're never open when I'm in town.  And ordering online presupposes that I know I'm going to want it in any given month, which is far from certain.