RB 2014-2015 season - wishes / predictions

I understand that the 2014-2015 season will be announced soon (probably around the end of march), and I would be interested to hear what ballets people would like to see performed. For me, i'm hoping for Manon, Mayerling (though there isn't a chance of that being on again so soon), Macmillan's Somnambulism and Laiderette (not sure if they are even in the rep still but I can hope), a new Scarlett full length narrative, Fille, and perhaps a new version of Swan Lake.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Manon too and Don Quixote as they will want to get their money back on the cost of staging that new production so likewise Winters Tale if that's a hit.  Of the other rep I will always be happy to see Onegin and it's been quite a while since Coppelia.  Another run of Jewels would be good as well imho.  A new Swan Lake would indeed be welcome!

Yes, would love to see Symphonic Variations too, and Month in the Country (with Osipova and Muntagirov), Ballo and Dances at a Gathering.  Wonder what the new narrative ballet (in the ten year plan) will be.  Would love some Robbins ... there is a vast amount that has never been seen here; 2 & 3 Part Inventions would be brilliant or In G Major for the divine Ms. Nunez.  

Would also love to see a revival by the Royal of Liebeslieder Walzer

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

Well, I have had a wishlist for years, and every year very little if any of it gets fulfilled.  In fact, a lot of the items on it will now have dropped off given that Rojo, Benjamin and Galeazzi are no longer there to dance the roles I wanted to see them in anyway.

But I still hold out hopes for Prodigal Son ... and 4 Temps.  And did rumour say there wouldn't be any Nutcrackers this Christmas, or was that just someone hoping?  No, actually I think it was a rumour - and I know what it was rumoured to be replaced with.  Oh, and Les Patineurs on a grown-up mixed bill, please.

• Like 2

Well, I have had a wishlist for years, and every year very little if any of it gets fulfilled.  In fact, a lot of the items on it will now have dropped off given that Rojo, Benjamin and Galeazzi are no longer there to dance the roles I wanted to see them in anyway.

But I still hold out hopes for Prodigal Son ... and 4 Temps.  And did rumour say there wouldn't be any Nutcrackers this Christmas, or was that just someone hoping?  No, actually I think it was a rumour - and I know what it was rumoured to be replaced with.  Oh, and Les Patineurs on a grown-up mixed bill, please.

KO'H has said in public that there will be no Nutcracker at Christmas 2014.

Given that Manon is being shown abroad in the summer, it looks a dead cert. for Period 1.

I agree about Prodigal Son and Month in the Country although Month was given relatively recently. I don't think that I can take another run of the ageing Dowell production of Swan Lake. I wish that there could be a full length Raymonda and I have my fingers crossed for more from Liam Scarlett.

What Osipova and Muntagirov will be cast in, and who with, will be very interesting throughout the season. And I hope that the repertoire will continue to give opportunities to the host of 'rising stars' we are so enjoying at the moment.

• Like 2

I have my fingers crossed for more from Liam Scarlett.

We know that there is a new one-act piece by Liam Scarlett as it is on the bill for the NYC showing.  

Agree about SL.   They simply CAN'T thrust that production forward again ... Surely!!  It has more than served its time.  Perhaps - since they are in dancer-mount-mode - and had Acosta do the Don Q ... They might consider bringing in Mukhamedov (himself formerly a leading RB principal - and before that Bolshoi) - to do a version of his fine production of SL - much as he did for that talented company in Warsaw. 

Edited by Meunier

Given that Manon is being shown abroad in the summer, it looks a dead cert. for Period 1.

I've said that at least twice before, and then it hasn't shown up in the rep.  I think it will be this time, though.  Certainly hope so.

Symphonic Variations, and Tombeaux if it is in the RB's rep still. I wish that the RB would bring in, or perform, some other established work by other choreographers. I often read what companies in the US and Europe are performing and think that the ballets sound interesting. Choreatium, The Moor's Pavane and the Joos work about war (The Green Table?) come to mind and have all been performed by other companies abroad recently.

New yes, but new choreographers too-not just McGregor and Scarlett. Be good to see a home- grown female choregrapher producing work for the main stage.

Triple or double bill to start with. Mixed in with something old-Symphonic Variations,A Month in the Country,yes indeed! or -perhaps revive one of those interesting early SWB pieces -Ashton or de Valois.

Some Balanchine we haven't seen before.

What about Anastasia?

I would prefer a Swan Lake free season but, reference the comments above about a new production being imprudent on economic grounds, I believe that there have been three new productions of Sleeping Beauty (plus a costume refresh for the current one) since Dowell mounted his Swan Lake in 1986.

Count me out on the McGregor Triple idea!!!!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Kevin O'Hare spoke highly at the LBC meeting of Justin Peck.  Perhaps we might get a peek at Peck's 'The Year of the Rabbit' or something else new hopping out by him.  Also with Muntagirov on board would be great to throw in a revival of 'Song of a Wayfarer'.  Would love to see him do it with Watson.  A first act of Ballo (with Hayward and Hay perhaps) and Song of Wayfarer would I think be grand .... followed by a new McGregor.  Think it safe to say that Art of the Fugue will be reprised as it too is on their USA tour schedule and, of course, sold out all of its initial performances.   Agree with the SL comments above.  Bruce is quite right.  Thinking about it, tax payer monies should be reserved for new things.  Perhaps they could just alter some of the really toying bits in the current RB SL - like the cassock lifting opening of Act III.  Don't know about anyone else but it makes my stomach churn as does so much of Act I's drunken tutor antics.  If nothing else it's simply a waste of such glorious music that could be employed for story telling through dance.

Edited by Meunier

Nijinsk'a 'Les Biches' and her 'Noces' would be really welcome revivals, and would make a very satisfying  triple bill if, sandwiched between them, we could have Ashton's 'Les Patineurs'.  I agree with Alison's wish for Balanchine's 'Prodigal' and '4 Temperaments', and  I do long for the RB to try to acquire his mysterious 'La Sonnambula' too.

• Like 1

Haven't seen  Les Patineurs for years, would love to see it finish a triple bill.  If the same programme opened with Symphonic Variations then even I could endure tolerate watch something by MacGregor sandwiched in between.   :)

I will let the rest of you rush off to a MacGregor triple bill, if I can get the  RB to put on The Two Pigeons. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

I would so love to see a British company do some Anthony Tudor pieces as we never get to see them here.  An evening of Dark Elegies, The Leaves Are Fading, Lilac Garden would be high on my wish list.  But as that most probably isn't going to happen....would love to have Onegin next year, as well as Manon and Fille and a MacMillan triple.  If money were no object I too would like to see a new SL. 

• Like 2

I'd love La Fille Mal Gardee & Onegin as I've yet to see them. Triple Bill ballets I'd love to see: Dances at a Gathering, Gloria, Requiem, The Dream, La Sylphide, Raymonda Act 3 & Symphony in C. I'd really like to see Les Sylphides too, but this doesn't appear to be in The Royal Ballet rep. I agree a new Swan Lake would be wonderful!

Edited by Rachelm

I'd love La Fille Mal Gardee & Onegin as I've yet to see them. Triple Bill ballets I'd love to see: Dances at a Gathering, Gloria, Requiem, The Dream, La Sylphide, Raymonda Act 3 & Symphony in C. I'd really like to see Les Sylphides too, but this doesn't appear to be in The Royal Ballet rep. I agree a new Swan Lake would be wonderful!

Birmingham Royal Ballet are performing Fille in Birmingham and Nottingham in June.  Well worth a trip!

• Like 2

*********************************** Facetious alert ************************************

As so many people would like a new Swan Lake perhaps we should start a "Just Giving" page to raise funds to finance a new production!

Perhaps i'm in a minority, but I really like the RB Swan Lake. Perhaps Act 3 could do with a bit of de-glooming (and drunken tutors toned down, though that's still preferable to interferring jesters in my book) - but otherwise, I still find it engrossing

• Like 2

Think it safe to say that Art of the Fugue will be reprised as it too is on their USA tour schedule and, of course, sold out all of its initial performances.  

I think that may have had more to do with Rhapsody, and possibly Gloria, being on the bill.

"Dances at a Gathering" would also be on my wishlist, but am not too sure at the moment: the thinking seems to have been that it requires, shall we say, established dance personalities rather than young dancers, to really do it justice.  Plus it's difficult to programme in terms of length: it needs something like "The Dream" or "Song of the Earth", and I don't think the latter is necessarily a good fit.  How about a Robbins triple of, say, that, "Afternoon of a Faun" and "The Concert" (except that we're getting that this year, so it won't be around next). 

"Anastasia" - if only Act III - was on there until last year, but I really can't see the point in reviving it now.

Sir Peter Wright has expressed a desire to produce a new production of Swan Lake which,when you consider the outstanding quality of his Giselle,sounds like a very sensible idea to me.

Alice is being performed at Christmas in place of Nutcracker. I can't imagine they will risk 22 performances of it so another ballet (or ballets) would be essential. Just pray that it isn't Beatrix Potter!!

Dances at a Gathering would be more than welcome at any time,as would Robbins' Goldberg Variations. A forlorn wish for Vienna Waltzes which sadly will never happen until the Strauss estate eases it's stringent ruling on performance outside of the USA. My repeated suggestion of a revival of Liebeslieder Waltzer will undoubtedly continue to fall on deaf ears,but I shall continue to hope,as I do for Bugaku. Four Temperaments is overdue for revival, as is Ballet Imperial.

Longing for a revival of The Two Pigeons appears to be a lost cause and just more whistling in the wind. Although that,coupled with Les Patineurs would team up nicely with Alice over the festive season.

Symphonic Variations ought never to be out of the rep,and I would be happy to see revivals of Ashton's Jazz Calendar or his Sinfonietta.

As for MacMillan's works I would wish for The Invitation (as always),Symphony and Baiser de la Fee,the latter two preferably with their original designs.

Some Mark Morris would be a lovely addition to the rep,especially Drink to me Only should he decline to create something new.

And finally,Tudor's The Leaves are Fading,Shadowplay,Dim Lustre and Pillar of Fire,the latter pair I believe never performed by the RB although BRB have danced Pillar. Sad no longer to have Mara Galeazzi to dance the lead though.

Wishful thinking? Mostly,sad to say.

• Like 3