RB 2014-2015 season - wishes / predictions

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Manon!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Really intrigued to see who they cast with Cuthbertson, and who Watson is cast with now his two obvious partners are retired.

I'm assuming it will be Hamilton, on past experience.  OTOH, I assume Osipova will be dancing the role too ...  I just actually want to *see* Watson in this, given his lack of performances at the ROH (Steven McRae, in 6 months, has clocked up 3 times the amount of performances Watson has actually done), so please, no busted biceps or anything this time.

Cinema screenings have somehow already been announced.

For ballet, as has already been announced, it includes Alice in December, Swan Lake will be in March.

I'm quite happy to also see a return of Manon and La Fille Mal Gardee, in October and May respectively.

I'm impatient to know Principal casts for the cinema screenings! 

I'm not sure that an Osipova / Muntagirov pairing would work well. Her 'strong' style might be too overpowering for his more elegant and understated style.

You never know what will work. It was Ninette de Valois' great vision to pair Fonteyn and Nureyev. Margot herself didn't believe they could suit each other. And now we say: the greatest partnership.

• Like 2

"Manon" would be a good place to test it out, with Manon as the dominant character and Des Grieux the reserved one led astray by her.

A good point. And, surely, Ospiova and Muntagirov will be paired in something next season. But there must also be an issue about whether or not to put two huge 'draws' on together.

Anyway, come Monday, all should be revealed about the Manon casting.

• Like 1

And, surely, Ospiova and Muntagirov will be paired in something next season. But there must also be an issue about whether or not to put two huge 'draws' on together.

In my view, the artistic concerns should be regarded as of paramount importance.

Coming back to the example I have given before: had Margot & Rudy been separated for the sake of TWO box office 'draws' no great partnership could emerge.

• Like 1

My wishes for next season may seem very modest .

More Ashton not just Rhapsody,Dream and Month but regular performances of his full length works. Ashton's works always cast according to suitability rather than seniority.  Fille restored to its pre Grant state. Perhaps the current owner  of the ballet could be persuaded to let Brenda Last be involved in the revival, after all she danced more performances of Lise than Nerina, and Ashton trusted her to mount his ballets. It would help if a real effort was made to cast dancers who can do the clog dance as Simone. A serious effort made to instill a real appreciation and understanding of the Ashton style throughout the company which of course means working on flexibility, musicality and epaulement.

As far as Swan Lake is concerned if we are finally going to have a new production then a restoration of all the Ashton choreography including the fourth act  would be wonderful but I imagine that we will have to be satisfied with losing the stools and the the maypole. 

• Like 4

It's here, but they are actually dancing Romeo & Juliet, not Manon. I got confused. I think they are doing Manon in Russia?

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if these were the castings for Manon next season.

http://www.ntch.edu.tw/program/show/2c90814043d7947e0144258ecb4e0466?lang=en

Thanks.

So, no Marquez or McRae let alone Osipova....

I can appreciate there may be have been a height issue to Choe's replacing Osipova (and she seems to have done very well) but was it odd to replace a very starry principal with a First Soloist in her debut season. I imagine Cuthbertson will have been busy with A Winter's Tale (and had already ceded one performance), Nunez already busy (and in the Wheeldon) but does Marquez seem to be not overly prominent for a principal these days in number of performances...

Poor K O'Hare. He is never going to be able to satisfy all of our demands this Monday! To make his life a little harder, I am going to add a just few more to the wish list: I would be very happy to see Cinderella at Christmas time (preferable to Nutcracker or Potter,) particularly for the sublime choreography of the seasons, stars and ballroom act. Sylvia would be a great vehicle for Osipova. I would also like a new Swan Lake, or a return to the previous version would be just fine. Another run of Giselle, (there were so many wonderful performances this season,) and Coppelia.  Facade, Illuminations, A Wedding Bouquet, Birthday Offering, Valley of Shadows, Gloria, The Invitation, (Yanowsky, Arestis or Chapman will be great as the wife.) I never tire of Les Noces . I would also like to see The Rake's Progress, Checkmate, Lilac Garden, Les Biches, Les Sylphides, Petrushka, La Boutique Fantasque, Choreatium, Tombeaux, Polyphonia, Live Fire Exercise (that was too short lived,) Asphodel Meadows and much more from Liam Scarlett.

While I like and admire much of Balanchine's work (not just for the choreography, but also the choice of music,) I just don't think there is room. His work is often as prominent or more prominent in the repertory than the home-growns and that can't be right. His ballets are well looked after by a number of other companies worldwide and are in no danger of disappearing. Low priority. However I would like to see Prodigal, 4T's and  Ballet Imperial again soonish!!!

I always look forward to new creations, or anything Jerome Robbins or Mark Morris. I wouldn't mind seeing the first two pieces from the Titian evening again and the designs from the third piece!

Once again, it will be impossible to keep us all happy, even if our wishes are spread out over a number of seasons. 

Balletcoforumers are simply greedy! Good luck on Monday K.O'H!

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if these were the castings for Manon next season.

Well, in a way I hope not.  I'm remembering all those poor unfortunates who didn't get a chance to see what turned out to be Morera & Bonelli's one performance last time around, and hoping we might get a repeat.

Well, in a way I hope not.  I'm remembering all those poor unfortunates who didn't get a chance to see what turned out to be Morera & Bonelli's one performance last time around, and hoping we might get a repeat.

I was one of the lucky ones who did see it, and thought she was wonderful.

I don't think Morera has ever danced R & J, has she?  If not, why not?  I would have thought she would be an obvious choice.  I find the fact that Hamilton is being given the opportunity to dance one of the plum roles slightly odd.

• Like 1

In response to James Sinclair's post 121:

Mr. O'Hare also has to think of his dancers. The audience may want to see a great variety of Ballets and New Works but it has to be humanly possible for the dancers to do so! This Season has already taken its toll on many dancers (so many injuries, causing a double/triple workload for the ones still able to dance). Mr. O'Hare has to strike a balance between the demands of the audience and the workload put on his dancers.

In response to James Sinclair's post 121:

Mr. O'Hare also has to think of his dancers. The audience may want to see a great variety of Ballets and New Works but it has to be humanly possible for the dancers to do so! This Season has already taken its toll on many dancers (so many injuries, causing a double/triple workload for the ones still able to dance). Mr. O'Hare has to strike a balance between the demands of the audience and the workload put on his dancers.

Don't worry Nina. I know the wish list is not feasible. This is after all fantasy and not reality here!

• Like 2

Mr O.Hare also needs to think about developing  his younger dancers in a more consistent way. So we do not have Mr X or Mr Y as flavour of the month for part of the season and then disappearing until, in the following season, they get pushed on at short notice as a result of injury or illness.This is not a recent problem but one that goes back years.The touring company was established in the early 1950's to provide an opportunity for talented young dancers to learn roles and develop away from London critics  and for young choreographers to experiment and learn  It would be nice to think that this sort of development plan could be put in place at the Opera House but the scheduling would be horrendous and it so much easier to ensure that the  company breaks even financially by programming lengthy runs of the nineteenth century classics and Romeo and Juliet than it is to restore works like those listed by James as regular repertory pieces.After all Fille is no longer programmed regularly and it now has to be advertised because too few people know about it.  

Ballets like Two Pigeons and  Les Patineurs are ideal for developing younger dancers so is Boutique Fantasque, amongst other things because the great  performances  of many of these ballets are sufficiently in the past for new casts not to feel intimidated by the weight of history or to have too much pressure placed on them by having to carry a lengthy role for a whole evening.

But I fear that such works are regarded as too old fashioned to be programmed on a regular basis. "Heritage works " except those by MacMillan are not that highly regarded.

In an interview  that Belinda Hatley gave some time ago she made a number of important points about British dancers and their development. One was that unlike dancers from abroad British dancers suffer from a feeling of not being good enough. Also while the company may accept the appointment of an occasional outstanding principal dancer from outside it is not good for morale if outsiders are appointed at all levels. And yet  such appointments now seem to take place as a matter of course. Something needs to be done but I  do not expect that much from tomorrow's announcement as far as company development is concerned.

If were  a gambler I would put money on Raven Girl being revived  quite simply because of the amount of space that has been given to  exhibiting the costumes and other items connected with the ballet which  are clearly intended to create an audience for it. Once you add the ballets that we know will be performed because it has been announced that they will be televised and you factor in a revival of a Winters Tale .it does not really leave room for much else 

Being an AD must be such a complex and demanding job, having to keep so many people satisfied: the audience, the Sponsors, the ROH boss, the Choreographers and not least the dancers!

Mr. O'Hare has been doing a good job by allowing his most talented young dancers to perform Soloist and even a few Principal roles (which was not the case under the previous AD). A successful company depends on their dancers. Regulars at ROH know there is currently a wealth of talent and great potential amongst some of the younger dancers but developing their artistry takes time. I have noticed the tendency to the "flavour of the month/or the year" too but Choreographers and AD's surely have their own " favourite dancer" :)

In response to FLOSS post 126: "One was that unlike dancers from abroad British dancers suffer from a feeling of not being good enough. Also while the company may accept the appointment of an occasional outstanding principal dancer from outside it is not good for morale if outsiders are appointed at all levels. And yet  such appointments now seem to take place as a matter of course". 

I am under the impression Mr.O'Hare does have the intention to develop - and give well-deserved opportunities - to his British trained dancers.

The problem is that there are many "older" dancers (Soloists/First Soloists) in the company who also need to be given roles (and kept happy) but if some of the younger dancers show more talent than some higher ranked dancers it should not be a reason for keeping the younger ones where they are for years, until they are discouraged or demoralised, and leave to join other companies.