The Royal Ballet: Giselle, January-March 2018

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from London.  A lovely Giselle last night which must have been particularly special for Akane Takada and Benjamin Ella.  The audience were also very much taken with their performance and there’s a fabulous photo from bangorballetboy on Instagram of their curtain call hug!  I thought it was so good to see a young Albrecht, clearly in love with Giselle and not, as often seems to be the case, a Count playing fast and loose.  I thought particularly touching was how Albrecht had to be man handled away from Giselle at the end of Act 1.  And the love, regret, guilt were all palpable in Act 2.  He deserved Giselle’s final parting gift of one flower as the curtain slowly fell, as well as the one Akane gave him from her bouquet at curtain call.   I was delighted for Akane that she had a partner who treated her with such tenderness.  She was an exquisite Giselle, just as she was in the previous revival.

Other real strengths were Bennet Gartside’s Hilarion and Kristen McNally’s Berthe.  I thought Claire Calvert’s Myrtha grew in strength and very much enjoyed Olivia Crowley and Bea Stix-Brunell as Myrtha’s attendants.  Hilarion has no chance when confronted by these three, and the fabulous Corp de Ballet.  And we know that Albrecht too would yield but for Giselle’s protection.

I also enjoyed Mayara Magri in leading the Pas de Six but I recall stronger performances of this set of dances.

A final word of thanks to Koen Kessels, the ROH Orchestra and particularly the lead viola player, Amélie Roussel?, whose Act 2 solos were utterly ravishing.  I think I might well have passed her in Floral Street but by the time I realised it was too late to offer my thanks.  

What a treat we have in store in February when Giselle returns with the prospect of special debuts and I'm sure more stunning performances.  

• Like 11

I must admit I would never have thought of  Ben Ella as a replacement for Steven McRae. Nothing to do with his dancing which impressed me recently as Hans Peter but that Albrecht is such a monumental role in every sense : solos, partnering, and acting, it requires  incredible stamina. All of which makes his debut yesterday so impressive. Because he looks very young I think he had to work extra hard to be convincing. I was standing close to the stage and it helped considerably that even from his first entrance he looked comfortable, if he was feeling the pressure of the occasion, it didn’t show from my vantage point. His solo dancing was pretty much faultless: tidy landings, everything cleanly finished. His partnering looked secure - the Act 2 high overhead lift, no problem and again 30 seconds later, no problem ! His acting was credible, I mean you wouldn’t expect it to be full of every little nuance at this stage, but he definitely has presence. Very very promising indeed for him. 

IMO Akane was wonderful - as well as being completely secure technically she brings a lovely softness and musicality to her dancing and her arms are exquisite. 

Clare Calvert’s Myrtha was everything you want that role to be, she’s really blossomed over the last couple of years and with that has come an increased confidence in her dancing. The corps also were very impressive.

• Like 15

I went to see the Takada / Ella performance last night.  Not a specific choice but because I was going with a friend who can only do Saturdays.  I was interested when I saw Ella had been chosen to replace Steven McRae. It's always good to see new young talent come through. I also was keen to see Akane, who I met at an RB event and was totally charmed by her.

I thought the 1st act was slow to take off. Akane's dancing was superb  but I really had to readjust my ideas to Ben Ella as such a young Albrecht. Nothing wrong with that, but I couldn't feel a depth in his performance initially.  The pas de six was not best executed with the exception of Mayara Magri who shows much promise. It is a fiendish set of dances, and everyone has to cut their teeth!

I was delighted to see Bennett Gartside as Hilarion and Kristen McNally's Berthe because at that point, I felt the cast needed their experience on stage. My overall verdict of Act 1 was underpowered. 

All changed for me in Act 2.  The corps de ballet were superb and the 3 main dancers also excellent.  The scene was set for Giselle to appear and Akane's initial rotations when she first appears were stunning.  Ben Ella then came into his own for me. All his dancing was superb. Clear cut, precise, athletic, stunning and the audience reaction reflected this.  The pdds were equally excellent - Akane appeared to float across the stage.  The emotion was now radiating off the stage. 

A delight - and lovely to see something that was very different from the norm. 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I was at the rehearsal with the Yasmine Naghdi / Matthew Ball cast this week - here are some photos. They were utterly glorious!

24945101517_3baf422ea2_z.jpg
Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball
©  Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

39783565932_9a32d76e8f_z.jpg
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

38916385015_e5affe8c9e_z.jpg

See more... 

Set from DanceTabs: RB - Giselle (2018 - Naghdi/Ball)
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind Permission of The Royal Opera House

So, so lucky! 

I'm going on the 10th. Unbelievably excited.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos 💐

• Like 4

I didn't see this performance but it is admirable that Mr O'Hare has given this young dancer such a great opportunity. I believe Benjamin Ella has struggled with recurrent injuries since he joined the RB and to be able to make a come back as Albrecht is just wonderful.

• Like 11

He did at least one very good performance as Hans-Peter in The Nutcracker, along with Isabella Gasparini, last month (or possibly right at the beginning of this one).  But yes, after all his injury problems it's good to see some progress.

• Like 1

Just a quick observation, as no one has yet mentioned last Saturday's matinee: Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano were the leads and I thought they made a very effective, intense partnership, one of the most moving I've seen in my 40 years of ballet-going.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Grand Tier Left said:

Just a quick observation, as no one has yet mentioned last Saturday's matinee: Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano were the leads and I thought they made a very effective, intense partnership, one of the most moving I've seen in my 40 years of ballet-going.

I love the sense of fragility which Sarah Lamb gives to Giselle, and I thought she and Ryoichi Hirano made the close of Act II exceptionally moving on Saturday.

• Like 6

I agree that the pas de six was a bit weak on Saturday night and I’m sure I saw one of the dancers stumble just before finishing a routine. Is it just luck of the draw as we had Naghdi and Campbell on opening night in the pas de six but no principals this time? Magri was very good though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nina G. said:

I didn't see this performance but it is admirable that Mr O'Hare has given this young dancer such a great opportunity. I believe Benjamin Ella has struggled with recurrent injuries since he joined the RB and to be able to make a come back as Albrecht is just wonderful.

It has been great to see Benjamin Ella taking ever more prominent roles and moving up the rankings in the last couple of years. I remember him well as a member of an outstanding year at the Royal Ballet School (Muntagirov, Dyer, Stock, Kase, Badenes among others) which graduated in 2009. Unfortunately, his injury during an RBS performance in the Linbury took him out of dancing Oberon on the main stage.

But now he seems to be catching up fast with his peers.

• Like 3

Some more photos - this time from the General Rehearsal, featuring Francesca Hayward and Alexander Campbell

25968242398_f4329cd48e_z.jpg
Alexander Campbell
©  Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

25968247138_74f3758789_z.jpg
Francesca Hayward

24971110417_1317d01fcb_z.jpg
Alexander Campbell, Francesca Hayward

See more... 

Set from DanceTabs: RB - Giselle (2018 - Hayward/Campbell)
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind Permission of The Royal Opera House

• Like 20

2 hours ago, alison said:

I thought Muntagirov had been first cast for Oberon - was I wrong?  (I know he was injured too)

I think I remember Muntagirov saying Ben Ella was first cast and he was second cast. They each had one leg injured (so there was an uninjured pair between them, but that might have been a bit difficult to negotiate! :D  ) Vadim said it must have looked a bit strange when the two of them hobbled up to collect their awards at RBS.

Edited by MargaretN7
  • Like 8

I was wondering if anybody could tell me anything more about Moyna and Zulme? I realise they are "lead Wilis' as such, but seeing as they have names, I thought there might be a bit more to their characters as far as the story background goes?

18 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

I think I remember Muntagirov saying Ben Ella was first cast and he was second cast. They each had one leg injured (so there was an uninjured pair between them, but that might have been a bit difficult to negotiate! :D  ) Vadim said it must have looked a bit strange when the two of them hobbled up to collect their awards at RBS.

Not only one of the most beautiful dancers I have ever seen, but the man has a sense of humour, and doesn't take himself too seriously.

What a combination!

• Like 4

On 23/01/2018 at 04:36, zxDaveM said:

Some more photos - this time from the General Rehearsal, featuring Francesca Hayward and Alexander Campbell

Oh my goodness! That second photo breaks my heart....  

So much to look forward from the different casts...

• Like 1

On 22/01/2018 at 21:02, Bruce Wall said:

Brilliant, Dave.  This looks HISTORIC!!  So glad I've got my place :)

The phot5ographs of Hayward and Campbell are just exquisite and I’ve been pondering as to why they are so very moving. For what it is worth, I would say that both dancers have, in a medium based on movement, a remarkable stillness and an ability to encapsulate emotion in a moment. Perhaps that is why they photograph so well, as well as being beautifully matched physically. A non dance loving industry friend commented on the tenderness which which AC holds FH in the famous arabesque pose from Act 2:: it really does read as his holding on to her spirit not her body. Even more than that, there seems an absorption in character and moment that  moves beyond dance to a wider emotional field. I’m enchanted by the pictures, deeply touched too, and am very pleased that I will see them in motion next month.

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Takada/Ella tonight - what a wonderful performance. Her dancing was beautiful throughout. After the porcelain delicacy of her opening scenes, she seemed to become transparent as the life drained out of her during the mad scene, which was quiet, almost reflective, as if the horror of what she was experiencing was too great to be fully expressed. And in Act 2 she was the epitome of grace and goodness, forgiving and supporting Albrecht without question, and so also winning her own final repose. In forgiveness we not only give but also receive redemption. And I really enjoyed Ella's performance - excellent dancing, and a very credible and touching portrayal of Albrecht as a young, foolish but sincere lover who got way out of his depth and then wanted desperately to turn back the clock.

I also loved Fumi Kaneko as Myrtha - light, beautiful and slightly wild. Chillingly happy whilst going about her evil. But also, somewhere, a sense of loss; the knowledge that Giselle's is the better way. Because both Takada and Kaneko were so light, so fast, so exquisite, it made me realise that without her forgiveness, Giselle could have turned into a Myrtha. Slight echoes of Odette/Odile, and adding layers of significance that were very moving.

Hilarion was danced by Kevin Emerton - new to me, and I thought very impressive. Full of character and with a strong stage presence, and so full of remorse for his behaviour when he realised its terrible consequences.

And a mention for Moyna and Zulme - Olivia Cowley and Beatriz Stix-Brunell (last-minute cast changes) - who ran on for their entry so quickly that it was positively terrifying, as if they really were spirit creatures who didn't need the ground beneath them. Poor old Hilarion.

• Like 19

10 hours ago, bridiem said:

I saw Takada/Ella tonight - what a wonderful performance. Her dancing was beautiful throughout. After the porcelain delicacy of her opening scenes, she seemed to become transparent as the life drained out of her during the mad scene, which was quiet, almost reflective, as if the horror of what she was experiencing was too great to be fully expressed. And in Act 2 she was the epitome of grace and goodness, forgiving and supporting Albrecht without question, and so also winning her own final repose. In forgiveness we not only give but also receive redemption. And I really enjoyed Ella's performance - excellent dancing, and a very credible and touching portrayal of Albrecht as a young, foolish but sincere lover who got way out of his depth and then wanted desperately to turn back the clock.

I also loved Fumi Kaneko as Myrtha - light, beautiful and slightly wild. Chillingly happy whilst going about her evil. But also, somewhere, a sense of loss; the knowledge that Giselle's is the better way. Because both Takada and Kaneko were so light, so fast, so exquisite, it made me realise that without her forgiveness, Giselle could have turned into a Myrtha. Slight echoes of Odette/Odile, and adding layers of significance that were very moving.

Hilarion was danced by Kevin Emerton - new to me, and I thought very impressive. Full of character and with a strong stage presence, and so full of remorse for his behaviour when he realised its terrible consequences.

And a mention for Moyna and Zulme - Olivia Cowley and Beatriz Stix-Brunell (last-minute cast changes) - who ran on for their entry so quickly that it was positively terrifying, as if they really were spirit creatures who didn't need the ground beneath them. Poor old Hilarion.

I agree with all your lovely comments about the characterisations.

The quality of the dancing from Takada, Ella and Kaneko was exceptionally high. The Act 2 pdd was remarkable for the synchronisation between Takada & Ella: all three of the cross stage jumps were executed and landed EXACTLY together ! 

• Like 5

I was sorry, though, not to see Chisato Katsura in her announced role as one of Myrtha's lieutenants - can't remember which.  Presumably they were short of dancers in the corps last night.  I hope I'll get a chance to see her later in the run.