Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Katymac...sadly we were told exactly the same thing when auditioning for Upper School...the DADA has changed...instead of a handful of awards that are given out now there is one pot of money to be shared and although it is not "supposed" to work like this the school had to share the pot as thinly as possible amongst students...my husband and I were told this by the principal of a vocational school.

It might not seem fair but hey life isn't fair at times! The schools are businesses at the end of the day after all and they are entitled to pick who they want for whatever reason.

And Tulip-Central Ballet School wanted a lot-too much in my opinion-of financial information before the first audition even.

As parents we all want what we deem as best for our children and want them to be happy and follow their dreams but you also have to be realistic and not live in cloud cuckoo land as some ballet parents do.

Very few kids actually "make it" as a classical dancer after 8 years (or 11if you include 3 years as a RBS JA!) of training with a classical contract in a classical company.

You need to enter into the ballet world as a parent with your feet firmly on the ground and always have a plan B. Kids bodies change, they get injured, they want to pursue another type of dance career or academics. It's not the end of the world if this happens-ballet is for everyone to enjoy whether as a performe, in the audience or backstage and your child will always have a passion for it and the training no matter for how long will always stand them in good stead in later life whatever path they take.

Good luck to all kids and parents auditioning for associate classes,lower and upper schools-please see these auditions as a wonderful opportunity and enjoy this time-the outcome although sometimes disappointing is not the end of the world and sometimes can be a blessing in disguise!

• Like 2

Thats not our experience. As a single parent on less than £21k My dd received a full DaDA and full maintenance grant. She was offered it straight after DaDA audition so point system must have been in effect as we needed the full amount. That said, DaDA covers school fees and maintenance grant covers accommodation and food. But it doesn't so I have to find the money to pay the difference. Its v. Hard. No treats for me :( but I would not change it. She is loving life and making the most of every experience. My dd did not go to rbs/central associates, just a small local dance school. She did go to Graham Fletcher to. Hope that gives hope :) !

• Like 3

Some interesting discussions going on but can I please ask that we bring this thread back to just questions (and answers) about upper school auditions. Please do open threads or add to existing ones regarding finances, class set-ups etc. We made this a "sticky" thread so it's easy for people to find answers to the most common questions.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Graham fletcher has a brilliant reputation.

Isn't it odd how we all see things differently. DS teacher said she would no longer teach him if he went to Graham. I  took him to see what he thought and actually he didn't like the  associates and we turned down the place - problem solved :) I've not heard anything bad about him so don't know what the teacher had against him!!!

I was in the first audition too dancing10. I really enjoyed the class and thought I did my best. I really hope we get results before Christmas though:/xx

Hi annaballerina I vaguely remember Central being quite quick with their results, so hopefully you will all get an answer before Christmas. Fingers crossed for everyone, remember if it's a yes then fantastic, but if its a no please don't let it knock your confidences, lots more auditions to go. Good luck to you all.

• Like 5

Have you all got plenty of auditions to go? Try and have a lovely Christmas, but keep your fitness levels up over the holiday and try and catch some extra quality ballet classes if you can. Just remember you are all talented and as has been mentioned so few places with students from all around the world applying for these spaces.

It's a tough year coupled with gcse's. Stay confident there will hopefully be a school out there that is just right for you.

• Like 5

Crikey, Central got letter out quickly. I'm sitting here looking at an envelope addressed to dd and will have to bite my nails for a couple more hours until she gets home from school and opens it...

OMG Taxi I wouldn`t be able to bear the tension,and would have to open it myself.!!

• Like 1

DS allowed me to open up his letters while he was at secondary school so I was the one to tell him the good news or break the bad news to him.

I couldn't have waited until he got home at 4.30pm for him to open up the letters. I was nervous enough for him anyway.