Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remind me:

They can accept a DaDA & keep doing auditions & accept other ones?

& then in May the DaDA people say "Make up your mind"

Is that right??

& no registration fees or holding fees if you can only go with the DaDA

My mind is whirrling :wacko::huh::rolleyes:

Katymac - on 11th Feb I posted on the DaDA application thread the info we were sent regarding the process last year. It was sent to me as a flow chart but I was unable to copy it as such so have just numbered the stages.

But yes you can keep auditioning and collecting DaDA offers until the audition season finishes. The info is collated nationally on who holds what offers where and then a decision needs to be made.

Thanks Jane - I thought so, but I only went back 2 pages & couldn't find the thread (it's on page 4 http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/8853-dada-application/)& when I searched I got so many responses I got confused

My brain isn't big enough for everything I do.....I used to have a memory but I replaced it with a forgettory which is much more efficient than my memory ever was ;)

• Like 5

Re: the Tring funding audition yesterday did anyone get told how soon the outcomes would be sent? I know this was discussed above but wondered if anyone picked this up yesterday?

For info for those with an interest in this kind of thing-Tring said that they had 500 applications for upper school ( I guess this must be just the dance course but don't know) and 65 were invited to the funding audition.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me how long the finals at Central Sunday 29th will last? I try to sort out the travel .. I've tried to mail them but I do not get a reply.

Hi SBallerina

At DD's finals last year, some from both morning and afternoon session were called back for another session at the ens of the day. Didn't know that would happen, but I was very pleased we had a flexible train ticket !

• Like 1

At my dd's finals two years ago, there were call backs at the end of the day (of which my dd was one of them) so we had to wait around a long time after the initial morning audition. Also, the physio assessments seemed to take a very long time too. So yes, I would definitely book your flight for the following morning.

• Like 1

There are soooo many talented dancers applying for upper schools, not just from our own country either. To gain a place your children must have to be very talented. With assessing out etc from other top schools the competit is so fierce. Does Paris opera take anyone into their school who is from outside France?

There are soooo many talented dancers applying for upper schools, not just from our own country either. To gain a place your children must have to be very talented. With assessing out etc from other top schools the competit is so fierce. Does Paris opera take anyone into their school who is from outside France?

I would like to know that as well Tulip .. from my research it's not for post 16 but I would love to hear that I'm wrong x

• Like 1

Yes Tulip, POBS does take kids outside France but auditions stop at the age of 13. After that, you can only get a private audition and it's incredibly difficult to get an invitation... You are not wrong Kat09, sorry!

• Like 1

Would like to ask this question following on from interesting posts in the Tring lower school thread.

It would appear that all the boarding places were filled with full fee paying students from the first set of auditions and before the funding audition. Apparently if offered a place from first audition you can accept but have to pay £2500 deposit to secure it and the bed, then go to the funding audition if invited.

Is this something that can/has happened in the past at Tring US auditions?

So is it best to audition early and risk your deposit? Is the deposit refundable if you don't get a DADA?

Asking as DD will audition in two years time (well maybe 18 months if she has to go to early auditions!) and Tring will be her preference. We also can't afford it without a DADA.

When DD auditioned 2 years ago there was the option to accept a place prior to the funding audition.

We waited for the funding audition. DD was offered a DADA but as a day pupil. Our home is relatively close to Tring. However others were offered DADA s with boarding.

I think it varies from year to year how many accept prior to funding finals and so is difficult to predict.

It is easier to work around this in 6th form as you are able to live out with a host family, as many do. This often works out much cheaper than boarding. I do know some DCs who choose to live out for this very reason and are very happy doing so. Some even have their own flats and this is still a cheaper option.

Ah ok thank you Ecarte.

I would want DD to board for first year, but I understand all 6.2 and 6.3 live off site?

I have heard that some live in shared houses belonging to the school. Is the rent cheaper in these houses? And do they get the option to pay for their meals with the boarders? Or are they completely self sufficient?

Some 6.2 live off site but are still classed as boarders as they are in school owned properties and go into school for all meals. They have House Parents looking after them as well and are paid at the usual boarding rates.

6.3's generally rent privately with their friends somewhere in Tring as day pupils.

As a day pupil lunch and afternoon tea are included but there is the option to pay for dinner as required and this is added to your bill at the end of the term .

If a host family is chosen they usually provide the meals not provided by school ie breakfast and dinner.

Hope this helps, good luck x

• Like 1