Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone

Not sure if this has been answered already, apologise if it has. My daughter has a MT and dance audition at Tring soon. If you are lucky enough to get through to the funding audition do you find out on the day? When is the funding audition? Is there a cut process on the 1st round. Many thanks. Xx

No, you don't find out on the day, you get a letter - about a week later, if I remember rightly. Not sure what you mean by a "cut process on the first round"? Do you mean during the preliminary audition itself? If so, no. Funding Finals at Tring were early Spring - a couple of months after Prelims I think.

Edited to add: Just checked and last year's Finals at Tring were 9th March. I think we were there for about 3 hours.

Thank you Anna C. Really helpful. Also did you DD/DS get time to change between ballet class/jazz class/ monologue? Also what colour leotard would you recommend and should she change between ballet/jazz to reflect the genre - if you see what I mean? Bright for jazz and more subtle for ballet... Everyday clothes for monologue and singing? She's going for both MT and dance. It's great to know someone who has recently been through it. Oh and do they wear jazz shoes? Thank you for your time. X

• Like 1

Dd only auditioned for dance. There is time to pull on leggings or jazz pants and change shoes. Yes, jazz shoes - the split sole black leather ones, not dance trainers/sneakers - were required. There's no need nor opportunity to change leotard between ballet and jazz. Regarding leotard colour, whatever suits your dd and is a flattering cut. I think dd wore her Tring CBA leotard but anything classically cut, i.e. not multiple straps would be fine.

No experience of an MT audition for Upper School but I would think something to slip on over dancewear would be suitable.

For the 6th form dance course audition at Tring there are no cuts on the day.  The letter that comes a couple of weeks later will say one of 3 things: 

1) Sorry, no place

2) An offer of a place, but no funding

3) An offer of a place and an invitation to return later in the term to take part in the funding audition.

I don't know anything about the MT auditions, funding is not the same as Dance course, so the process probably wouldn't be as I have described above. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know when the application form to apply for Rambert for next year will be available? Have an appointment to do DD's photos this week and can still only find last year's. Not sure whether to assume they'll be the same ones. Wanting to get the forms off then. Does anyone know also, if DD auditioned for Ballet West this year, in the unlikely event she were offered a place if they might considering deferring the place? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

wondering if anyone can help? the rambert audition forms are now online but i cant seem to figure out how to fill this out on word to email back to the school. i can enter text into the tables but cannon tick any of the multiple choice boxes needed, has anyone else had any trouble or could someone who has managed to complete this form help me? thanks!

I ended up just putting a cross beside each chosen box and so did a friend. This seems to be acceptable as we got an audition date through very quickly.

Ah thank you will try that! if you don't mind me asking were the audition dates early next year or a bit later?

Does anyone know how flexible Ballet West are about audition dates? We will be travelling from Hampshire and would need to fit round various unmissable commitments if a date came for this term and would require travel time. Another application gave a choice of dates which is really helpful! Thanks

In previous years Ballet West has been more flexible over dates because they don't have all applicants together for specific auditions. They just have a few at a time who join in with those already on the course there for regular class. Of course it may be different now.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Pas de Quatre

• 2 weeks later...