"Times" Watch - and other behind-paywall articles

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's Times2 has a 2-page spread about the Skelton Hooper School in Hull and the extraordinary number of male dancers it produces:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/times2/the-boys-in-tights-who-became-hulls-most-unexpected-export-l3d9xw62z

(I was a bit surprised to see the Trocks described as  "an all-male troupe who do bowdlerised comedy versions of the classics" - really?)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Today's Times2 has a 2-page spread about the Skelton Hooper School in Hull and the extraordinary number of male dancers it produces:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/times2/the-boys-in-tights-who-became-hulls-most-unexpected-export-l3d9xw62z

(I was a bit surprised to see the Trocks described as  "an all-male troupe who do bowdlerised comedy versions of the classics" - really?)

Of course, many more dancers have come from Hull...

Mark Silver, Robert Parker, Natasha Oughtred, Ashley Dixon and Neil Westmorland to name but a few.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a lovely picture in today's Times of four of Olga Semenova's pupils (Photo: Nigel Norrington) with the announcement that her school, previously Russian Imperial Ballet School, is moving studios and changing its name to Masters of Ballet Academy with Artistic Directors Elena Glurjidze and Olga Semenova.

Sorry don't know how to put a link in, perhaps someone else can oblige. 

5 hours ago, capybara said:

Lovely photo in the main section of today's Sunday Times (17th September 2017) of Yasmine Naghdi and Xander Parish in the Sylvia pas de deux.

Made a quick trip to my local newsagent.  Gorgeous photo, and what a handsome couple they are! Such a shame Miss Naghdi is not given a go this time around. I understand senior Principals Osipova, Nunez and Cuthbertson have priority over her but surely she could have been given a Matinee...Now we'll have to wait 3 or 4 years I guess before Sylvia returns :( 

1 hour ago, Nina G. said:

Made a quick trip to my local newsagent.  Gorgeous photo, and what a handsome couple they are! Such a shame Miss Naghdi is not given a go this time around. I understand senior Principals Osipova, Nunez and Cuthbertson have priority over her but surely she could have been given a Matinee...Now we'll have to wait 3 or 4 years I guess before Sylvia returns :( 

Whilst I couldn't agree with you more about Yasmine and Sylvia, Nina G, I'm not sure that I warm to the idea of 'senior principals'. Yes, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Morera, Nunez and Osipova are older, have been Principals for longer, and are more experienced but the nice thing about the RB is that there is no distinction within the top rank.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, capybara said:

Whilst I couldn't agree with you more about Yasmine and Sylvia, Nina G, I'm not sure that I warm to the idea of 'senior principals'. Yes, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Morera, Nunez and Osipova are older, have been Principals for longer, and are more experienced but the nice thing about the RB is that there is no distinction within the top rank.

Agreed.  Casting at the RB is not undertaken on the basis of time served or seniority.  Heap in Carmen for example.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the alert re. Sunday Times interview with Yasmine Naghdi (needless to say I dashed out to get my ST copy :).

Such a lovely and excellent interview by Sarah Crompton. There are several angles in the interview where we get to know Naghdi from a different perspective... not in the least Crompton's suggestion that Naghdi's diplomatic skills will lead her into the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as her next career...

• Like 2

Beautiful photo in the World news section of today's Times, of a dancer taken from above, showing her face centred above a lovely white tutu.  Sadly the accompanying caption says "Protest Marché - Deborah Ribeiro, a Brazilian ballerina, performs at a rally against the Rio council, which has not paid artistes at the Theatro Municipal for months". 

How tragic!

Looks lovely. Maybe the silvery hue of the bodice is supposed to reflect the lake shimmering in the moonlight.  The skirt is gorgeous!

As Siegfried is once again in black tights I hope the lighting people remember that if the stage is gloomily lit it can at times seem that he is a dancing torso;  this happened time and again in the Dowell production, especially in Act 3.  

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Sim said:

As Siegfried is once again in black tights I hope the lighting people remember that if the stage is gloomily lit it can at times seem that he is a dancing torso;  this happened time and again in the Dowell production, especially in Act 3.  

Especially when you consider just how many times this production will be filmed over the decades of its inevitable existence.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Lovely photo in today's main section of The Times p. 17 of  ENB's La Sylphide.  The two dancers, the Sylph & James aren't named, and as I don't want to lead anyone astray if I am wrong, perhaps some else could identify them.

Dronina and Hernandez unless I'm much mistaken :)

• Like 1