"Times" Watch - and other behind-paywall articles

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

According to today's Times, Andy Murray is using ballet moves to keep fit: "Murray said that the Gyrotonic exercise system, which incorporates elements of yoga and ballet, had helped him to conquer his ageing body.................

Gyrotonic was developed in the 1980s by Juliu Horvath, a former ballet dancer, who describes it as “yoga for dancers”

Gyrotonic is also recommended for back problems - I must find out more though my tennis-playing days are long over.

Linda

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Natalia Osipova completists may wish to nip out and get a copy of today's Sunday Times - there's one of the 'Day in the life'- type pieces on her at the back of the Magazine, though I doubt that it reveals much that is new.

I thought this was an interesting article, mostly because it was in Natalia's own words and she sounds rather a thoughtful lady.

I find some of the S.T. celebrity interviews quite unbearably sycophantic sometimes, of the sort one might expect to find in a glossy low brow rather than a Sunday broadsheet, only possibly better written. This one did let itself down a bit, in my opinion, by twice referring to Sergei Polunin yet again, as "the bad boy of ballet". 

Isn't this moniker getting a little tired now or am I just grumpy today? 

I quite enjoyed the unrelated article in the magazine about psychological testing. In the house of personalities, I am definitely number 31! :lol:

• Like 5

I thought this was an interesting article, mostly because it was in Natalia's own words 

But it does bear an uncanny resemblance to the Mail article about Natalia (see links). No criticism of her, of course, but I wondered whether an interview with more than one journalist had simply been presented in two different ways

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your Times access permits, and you wish to read about Carlo Acosta's pursuit of the girl who is now his wife, and her angle on it all, this Magazine feature from today's ST may be for you:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine/the-sunday-times-magazine/relative-values-the-cuban-ballet-superstar-carlos-acosta-and-his-english-wife-charlotte-holland-nn98vql93

Failing that, go out and buy a copy!

• Like 1

I think my £3.00 subscription to The Times is really good value. It gives me paper copies on Saturday and Sunday and internet access every day including all their puzzles which can be done online. The Sunday culture section than gives me TV listings for the next 7 days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My apologies, but I now realise I missed two items from this morning's Sunday Times Culture supplement whilst doing Links.  I'll include them tomorrow - but if you have no Times access and want to see a 2-page feature on Wayne McGregor and Steve Reich and the making of Multiverse for the coming RB Triple Bill, you may want to visit a newsagent.  The other missed piece is on the making of a film, Young Men, by Messrs Nunn and Trevitt with the Ballet Boyz.

• 1 month later...

Interesting that the article on Sir Peter states that some of the factual inaccuracies incurred the wrath of Deborah Macmillan. I do wonder to which ones that statement relates. I was also slightly amused by his comments on Julia Trevelyan Oman's designs for Nutcracker and her obsession with gingerbread. Rather echoes my own view.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Sunday Times Culture supplement has a 2-page feature on Xander Parish.  (One page is a photo.)  And Ed Watson's financial doings are featured on the backpage of the Money section.

The Culture supplement also includes a David Dougill review of Mad Hatter's Tea Party and a brief mention of a RB Sleeping Beauty performance.

• Like 2

Today's ST supplement The Dish is devoted to healthy eating, related recipes and the like to improve your diet and get you fit for life.

The magazine kicks off proceedings with a full page ad for a brand of gin. Start as you mean to go on!

Not dance related but made me smile.

• Like 4