"Times" Watch - and other behind-paywall articles

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Culture section of today's Sunday Times (9th Jan) has a feature entitled New Faces 2016 with a large photo of Yasmine Naghdi and a paragraph about her. Nice that she is getting some coverage now  :) .

Lovely Sunday Times feature on Miss Naghdi!

She fully deserves this coverage in "New Faces 2016", and the recognition. To nail a major Principal debut as "Juliet", ST quote: "The reception was standing-ovation ecstatic", so early on in her career, given just one public shot at dancing her debut, deserves much praise. I hope Mr O'Hare will satisfy her many fans by casting Miss Naghdi in a few major roles next Season. Imo she deserved a 2015 Dance Award for her superb interpretation as "Juliet".

• Like 1

And the Life in a Day piece at the back of the S Times Magazine section is about Lauretta Summerscales.

A lovely article too on another young and beautiful ballerina.  We have been spoiled this morning by The Sunday Times!

A Royal B. ballerina and an English N. ballerina in the spot light.

• Like 1

The Culture section of today's Sunday Times (9th Jan) has a feature entitled New Faces 2016 with a large photo of Yasmine Naghdi and a paragraph about her. Nice that she is getting some coverage now  :) .

had to rush out and get a copy - managed to get the last copy in my local newsagent! Whew!

The Sunday Times has gone overboard with ballet today hasn't it, and an advert for the Bolshoi giving the booking dates of 12th April for public and 1st March for Friends.  It said Yasmine Naghdi was dancing in Christopher Wheeldon's newest and The Winter's Tale but her name isn't on the ROH, maybe just small roles.

I immediately looked on the ROH website as well and I couldn't see anything in her name.

She'll probably dance "just" a soloist role. I'd have been (pleasantly) surprised if Wheeldon all of a sudden had cast Naghdi in a Principal role; this usually goes to soloist Stix-Brunel or one of the Principal dancers.  Naghdi did dance "Young Shepherdess" in"Winter's Tale" last time so that's what the ST is likely to refer to. 

• 4 weeks later...

There was also an article in the "money" section of the Sunday Times on Thiago Soares.  Mentioned that he had split from Marianela recently which is very sad.

Strangely enough they seem to have a thing about ballet dancers in the money section.  I think they did a similar piece on Xander Parish a little while back.

There was also an article in the "money" section of the Sunday Times on Thiago Soares.  Mentioned that he had split from Marianela recently which is very sad.

Strangely enough they seem to have a thing about ballet dancers in the money section.  I think they did a similar piece on Xander Parish a little while back.

And Steven McRae has also featured in this section, Thiago Soares sounds very sensible, not too sure about Cash ISA's though!

• 2 weeks later...

When I had read it I could not make up my mind if the article was written to encourage people to buy tickets for the gala or to persuade everyone that Golding is the best thing to have happened to the Royal Ballet in years. Perhaps it was intended to do both. The article was a bit short on content and nothing more or less than a good old fashioned puff.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2

This is the sort of article that I find very frustrating. It implies that looks are all, whereas in fact (of course) looks are no guarantee of on-stage charisma. The same sort of stuff regularly gets written about female dancers too, especially young up-and-coming ones. But if it makes non-ballet goers potentially more interested in ballet, perhaps it's worth it.

I was somewhat gobsmacked when I read this yesterday on page three of the Standard, though it was at the foot of the page and photo-less.

On one level I dismissed it as PR for the upcoming gala, on another I was dismayed by the possible misrepresentation of those named in the piece by comparing such dissimilar dancers in this way and by the indirect devaluation of the other dancers of the Royal Ballet.

Then again, with print newspapers disappearing and much of the slog done by unpaid "interns", there is very little opportunity for trained journalists to exercise their profession as they would probably wish to do.

Edited by Grand Tier Left

So, who has tipped Golding as "Carlos Acosta's successor? Did I miss something? Or is this just something dreamed up by the journalist for the purposes of the article?

No disrespect to Golding, who is a fine dancer, but I find statements like that somewhat annoying, especially as they blithely ignore the other many hugely talented male dancers, both established and up and coming, in the company, who are at least equally worthy "successors". In any case, you can't talk about "successors" as all dancers are different and bring varying qualities to the table. There will never be a successor to Acosta was Acosta, just as McRae is McRae, or Golding is Golding.

With the level of quality we get from all these dancers, I really disagree with comparisons about who is a "better" dancer than someone else. It is really largely a matter of personal preference at the end of the day - I know my preferred dancers (which often comes down to how much they move me when they perform as much as the quality of the dancing), but I don't think I would ever say they were better than the next dancer, just different.

Hmm - this was meant to be a short post - sorry, got a bit carried away!

• Like 8

When I had read it I could not make up my mind if the article was written to encourage people to buy tickets for the gala or to persuade everyone that Golding is the best thing to have happened to the Royal Ballet in years. Perhaps it was intended to do both. The article was a bit short on content and nothing more or less than a good old fashioned puff.

Exactly.  Pretty much a waste of newsprint.  Mind you, there have been a number of similar "puffs", of very varying quality, in the Standard recently.

There will never be a successor to Acosta was Acosta, just as McRae is McRae, or Golding is Golding.

With the level of quality we get from all these dancers, I really disagree with comparisons about who is a "better" dancer than someone else. It is really largely a matter of personal preference at the end of the day - I know my preferred dancers (which often comes down to how much they move me when they perform as much as the quality of the dancing), but I don't think I would ever say they were better than the next dancer, just different.

Couldn't agree more Balletfanp (although you haven't mentioned my particular favourites :)). It is the differences in technique and interpretation which make ballet so very special for me.

Couldn't agree more Balletfanp (although you haven't mentioned my particular favourites :)). It is the differences in technique and interpretation which make ballet so very special for me.

I deliberately didn't mention my particular favourites either, Capybara, as I could become quite a bore on the subject! :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was also an interview with Lillian Hochhauser in Saturday's Times, I'd forgotten that they were responsible for all those wonderful Nureyev Festivals, 12 in all.  She said the reason for the lack of Bolshoi casting was because the new Director hasn't had time to settle in yet. Good news was that the Mariinsky will be back in 2017.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Times 2 (12th April) carries a two page interview with Tamara Rojo ahead of the opening night of She Said tomorrow.

Edited to add that the main paper has a really lovely photo of Lauren Cuthbertson and Edward Watson rehearsing Wnter's Tale.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1