English National Ballet - Le Corsaire, 2013/14

Just back from the Coli, what a wonderful production.  Loved every minute of it. 

I was sitting in the stalls, and I couldn't see any empty seats from my position. 

Now, are there any deals for tomorrow?  I might go again, I enjoyed it so much!

• Like 1

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has to be said, though, that if the RB put on as many performances of a given work as ENB do, their performances wouldn't be sold out either, so I guess really it's a question of performing things so often that they become a part of you, or more works but less frequently. I don't think either company has hit the happy medium: Sir Peter Wright, I think it was, during the recent Giselle insight evening, commented on the difficulty of getting into a role when you only dance it perhaps a couple of times in a run.

That's true

Fonty, that 25% discount for stalls and dress circle might be available. The RB is very canny about selecting the number of performances for each production and, of course, they are not all consecutive days like ENB's and the other touring companies'. The only RB production which did not sell so well recently was La Sylphide, strangely. I don't know how well the Royal Opera productions generally sell. I notice that tickets for the current Manon have been heavily discounted.

I heard lots of comments from people around me last night saying how much they were enjoying the Le Corsaire. Let's hope that they book for something else. The season brochure was on view last night, but only on the table with the programmes downstairs and not in the leaflet racks which were pretty empty.

There has been praise around me as well at all the several performances I have had the good fortune to see. Just lovely to hear and, actually, quite rare.

But, alas, there were no flyers for Lest We Forget (Barbican in April) or, even, Coppelia which ENB is performing at the Coli in  July. Someone has surely missed a trick here. Le Corsaire seems to have pulled in an audience waiting to be captured but there have been no strategies in place to do the essential 'catching'.

• Like 1

Yesterday's matinee was a lovely treat to end this run of Corsaire's, saw different dancers in the 5 leading roles, Ken Sarahashi as Lankendem, Ksenia Ovsyanick as Gulnare, Erina Takahashi as Medora, Yonah Acosta as Conrad, and Joan Zamora as Ali, especially beautiful dancing from the ladies this time, Erina, Ksenia, Nancy Osbaldeston and Shiori Kase as Odalisques, and the corps de ballet, and quite a swarthy bunch of pirates.  Great fun again, special mention for Michael Coleman who has danced the Pasha every time!

I hope the DVD doesn't take too long.

I thought Takahashi was glorious.  I do like her style of dancing, there is nothing showy or flashy about her.  And she didn't try to stick her leg behind her ear all the time.

When I was checking the dancers' names in the programme afterwards, I was quite startled to see that Ken Saruhashi is only in the Corps.  I thought he danced with aplomb, and thought he must have been at least junior soloist.

Incidentally, what exactly is a Junior Soloist? Not sure I understand where they are placed - lower than a soloist, obviously, but is it because they are younger, newer to the company, or some other reason?  Or is it a bit like the rank of Coryphee?

What a lovely performance yesterday at the matinee, very enjoyable. I am sure that this will continue to be a successful production for ENB. Great dancing by the whole company too. I am so glad that I took the chance of getting a ticket on the day, even though I hadn't

booked!

• Like 1

Saw Le Corsaire at the Coli yesterday evening as I wanted to catch it before it closed here in London. I was absolutely blown away by what I saw. Of course, the show itself was great (sets, costumes)...but the dancing was on another level. ENB has prospered under the helm of TR and the talent up on that stage last night was world class. Spellbinding. I honestly felt like I was watching one of those incredible YouTube videos live....

Congratulations to the whole company on what was a breathtaking show.

• Like 6

I saw the matinee yesterday and today. It was interesting to see Fernando Bufala for the first time today. He was excellent as Birbanto. For me, he was as good as Yonah in the role; he acted really well and had a lot of stage presence. Ksenia was delightful as Gulnare yesterday. Joan (as Ali yesterday) has a way to go in terms of projecting himself but he can certainly do all the tricks. Vadim and Daria were lovely together. She has a connection with everyone else on the stage and makes a lot of eye contact with the other dancers. Something that I meant to mention before is that all the minor characters on the stage kept moving around and telling their own little stories while the main action was going on. I felt that this really added to the liveliness of the ballet but it must have been challenging for some of the soloists to dance with all that moving about in their sight lines. I'm pretty sure that both Tamara and Wayne Eagling were there this afternoon! Today's performance finished with a flower throw. I don't know about the rest of the theatre but today the stalls looked full to me and there were a lot of children.

• Like 2

ENB gave us a stellar cast in a stellar performance of the final, very well attended, ‘Corsaire’ at the Coliseum (and not a guest artist in sight, despite the glaring errors on the cast sheet). Dima Gruzdyev was luxury casting in the smaller role of the slave trader, Lankendem, and gave us a masterclass in Russian style and mime. He was a superbly sympathetic partner for Fernanda Oliveira’s appealing Gulnare in their Act I pas de deux and brought a panther-like grace to his solos, reminiscent of his glorious Golden Slave a few years ago.  Oliveira brought her innate musicality and glamour to the rather strangely conceived role of Gulnare who is distraught at being sold into the Pasha’s harem in Act I only to turn into a flirtatious coquette with him in Act III before running away and drowning with her true love, Ali.  Junor Souza as Ali excelled himself with his breathtaking pyrotechnics and magnetic stage presence, indeed almost outdancing the phenomenal Vadim Muntagirov in the Act II pas de trois.  Muntagirov’s stagecraft has improved by leaps and bounds (no pun intended) over the past four years, mow almost approaching his dazzling technique, and it is clear he revels in the swashbuckling character of Conrad, especially when partnering his soulmate, Daria Klimentova, whose Medora London audience had to wait until this final performance to see. She was well worth the wait! Looking younger than springtime, she is everything that a prima ballerina assoluta (my appellation) should be with her exquisite line, seemingly effortless technique and, above all, the sense of fun she brings to Medora.  It was nice to see Wayne Eagling at this performance, supporting the dream team which he can claim full credit for forming.

Of the other named roles, Adela Ramirez danced the Lead Villager with a Spanish flair and her devastating smile.  Ksenia Ovsyanick brought her ballerina sheen to the second Odalisque solo with the other two danced by Nancy Osbaldesdon and Shiori Kase on sparkling form.  Having previously seen a performance on the much smaller stage in Oxford I can say that I prefer the Jardine Anime scene without children.  Especially from my seat in the stalls, they block the audience’s view of the beautiful ENB flowergirls and really add nothing to the scene.

I also saw the second performance at the Coliseum (10 January) with another of the company’s crown jewels, Erina Takahashi, as a radiant Medora partnered by Yonah Acosta who, like Muntagirov, relished every swashbuckling moment on stage, and Ksenia Ovsyanick’s totally assured Gulnare proving she is more than ready for promotion to principal.

Apart from the feast of dancing and the gorgeous sets, I don’t care much for this version of the ballet which appears to be far removed from the original ballet synopsis, treating the dark subject matter in a facile manner (like Ratmansky's version of 'Flames of Paris'), and possibly even further removed from the Byron poem.  I find the characters sketchily drawn at best and am irritated by the reduction of the Pasha and his assistant to buffoons with their pantomimic antics (no disrespect to Michael Coleman or Juan Rodriguez who is one of ENB’s most charming dancers).  However, all this is forgiven when it is danced with such incredible commitment and exuberance by the whole company, especially at the end of an arduous six-week stint.  By the tumultuous applause, which continued after the raising of the houselights, it would seem that the rest of the audience was in total agreement with my sentiments about the fabulous dancing and I would urge anyone in the Manchester area to see this show next month for a simply outstanding dance experience.   

• Like 6

Why was there a flower throw yesterday?

To say a big "thank you" from fans to the ENB Company for a Coliseum season of nearly six continuous weeks and over 50 shows of Nutcracker and Le Corsaire and, perhaps especially, to honour Daria Klimentova's performance in what might well be her farewell year. 

• Like 4

Irmgard, thank you for your brilliant review above - what a pleasure to read it.  I agree with all your comments about the production;  although I saw a different cast (led by the dazzling pairing of Cojocaru and Muntagirov) the overall performance seemed to have the same effect on us both.

I'm so glad you singled out Dimitri Gruzdyev for praise, as I did myself (see my posting. No. 221 ).  He's an amazing dancer.

Regarding Aileen's question......

Anyone can organise a flower throw but, as those who have done ones at the ROH and the Coliseum will know, there can be quite a lot of stages involved.

Usually, collections are made by word of mouth and from people the 'collector' recognises as being ballet regulars. Sometimes, an organiser will fund the throw him or herself. In the case of the RB, some throws are organised, or contributed to, by the ROH. Throws for ENB are always, in my experience at least, instigated and funded by fans.

It is, of course, essential to seek permission from a company's stage management, but preferable to keep the throw a surprise as far as the dancers are concerned. Liaison with the theatre is also an important element as a preparation area, store room, and help to carry the flowers to the throwing site may be needed. In addition, there is often quite a bit of mess for others to clear up afterwards in the theatre and on stage.

Flowers are sourced either with the help of florists (an expensive route used by the ROH management) or from wholesalers at New Covent Garden Market. The latter will, with due notice, offer a good selection of blooms (which may be slightly past their best!) for a given price. These then need to be transported to the venue, cut down, de-thorned as necessary and put in water until needed - quite a long task!

Usually the fans concerned throw the flowers themselves but they are sometimes augmented by ushers with stronger arms!

But, returning to the other part of your question, Aileen, thank you for offering to contribute. I am sure organisers will try to track you down in future!

Edited by capybara

To say a big "thank you" from fans to the ENB Company for a Coliseum season of nearly six continuous weeks and over 50 shows of Nutcracker and Le Corsaire and, perhaps especially, to honour Daria Klimentova's performance in what might well be her farewell year. 

Ok, thank you.  I did indeed go to the last matinee yesterday, as a previous engagement was cancelled.  I was a bit startled, as the only time I've seen one before is when a dancer is retiring.  For a moment I though Klimentova was leaving, but then I remembered she is cast as Juliet in June. 

I loved Le Corsaire.  It is the perfect ballet for people who only go perhaps once or twice a year, as well as a refreshing rest from some of the more challenging offerings that more regular ballet goers are sometimes subjected to. 

Absolutely masses of dancing, and none of that "poncing about not doing much" as one of my companions put it.  I thought all the company seemed in sparkling form, as everyone else as said.  But what struck me most were the happy smiles on their faces as they danced.  They genuinely looked as though they were having a wonderful time. 

Ok, the plot is a bit silly, and I agree that it does seem rather selfish that Conrad and Medora manage to gain paradise at the end, while  Ali and Gulnare vanish into a watery grave.  "Couldn't someone have jumped in and saved him", asked one anxious little girl in the row behind me yesterday.    Quite right too, after all his loyal service.  But lots of ballets have plots that don't make a huge amount of sense, so that didn't bother me at all.  

Also, I didn't mind the humorous element from the Pasha and his assistant.  It is a bit pantomime, but it made people laugh, and there is nothing wrong with that.    Yes, the characters are rather two dimensional, but with dancing like that, I don't really care.  It must be fantastic for the dancers, especially the males, to know that they will get a chance to actually dance something, rather than just stand around in elegant costumes, reacting to a pas de deux or solo.  And best of all, there are no lulls.  From the moment the curtain rises at the start, the action just keeps on coming and coming. 

As far as the main parts were concerned, I felt that Takahashi had the edge technically over Klimentova, but I thought both ladies were charming.  Great to see different interpretations from the men in all the parts, and some excellent performances from the younger members of the company trying their hand at solo and leading roles. 

It is one of the few ballets that I can see myself going to see frequently, knowing I will thoroughly enjoy it from beginning to end.  And judging by the glowing comments from the people around me, I wasn't the only one who felt like that.

• Like 5

When so much attention has recently been focused on Tamara and Alina it is really nice to have Erina Takahashi's lovely dancing  recognised on here.

Having seen many ENB Le Corsaire shows (and all the variations of cast), I would rate that on Saturday afternoon (18th Jan) as one of the very best. Erina's second Medora at the Coli was, in fact, her 5th performance in a space of only 8 days as she also danced Gulnare three times.

Erina has, of course, been with ENB since she graduated from the ENB School - as indeed have Ksenia Ovsyanick and Ken Saruhashi who gave terrific performances as Gulnare and Lankendem at that same matinee.

• Like 6

I really enjoyed many individual performances but, for me, Le Corsaire just confirmed what an incredible talent Vadim is. His bravura dancing was thrilling, yet refined (unlike some dancers); his partnering was considerate and secure; and he had huge authority on the stage in the role of Conrad despite not being a natural choice as a pirate. I feel that the role developed him as an actor. He looked powerful and forceful as a character as well as a dancer, which is not a side of him which I at least have seen before. Actually, what I liked about this production was the forcefulness of the male characters; they physically challenged each other, pushed each other (over), had altercations etc which made them seem more realistic. Yesterday, I was sitting next to the mother of a little boy (also there) who had just started ballet lessons. It would be hard to find a better introduction to virile male (ballet) dancing than this production. Especially sitting in the stalls, Vadim and Junor's leaps and spins seemed almost superhuman. One of the dancers mentioned on Twitter that ENB was taking Le Corsaire to Madrid. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Like 6

I think that ENB is taking Le Corsit,ire to Madrid 24th to 27th April this year.

Tamara Rojo is dancing the first night and I've been told that her show is sold out.

I hope also the other dates are selling well, because the production and the company deserve it!

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 1

Throws for ENB are always, in my experience at least, instigated and funded by fans.

In a tweet, on Sunday, Rojo says "I want to thank @E_N_O for making us feel at home and for the wonderful flower throw they always give to #ENB dancers"

She seems to thank English National Opera for the flowers, not the audience: I hope it is not a misunderstanding.

In a tweet, on Sunday, Rojo says "I want to thank @E_N_O for making us feel at home and for the wonderful flower throw they always give to #ENB dancers"

She seems to thank English National Opera for the flowers, not the audience: I hope it is not a misunderstanding.

Thanks for the 'heads up', annamicro. Means have been found of letting Tamara know the true position!

Link for Madrid.  I have been there, but I am not familiar enough with the city to know where this is. 

http://www.teatroscanal.com/espectaculo/le-corsaire-english-ballet/

I did notice that there seemed to be several groups of Spanish speaking people in the Coli over the weekend.  They stood out, not just because they were speaking Spanish, but because they were so smartly dressed.