English National Ballet - Le Corsaire, 2013/14

Souza, Muntagirov, Acosta, Konvalina, and Zamora have all been great and this week sees Ken Saruhashi in the part for the first time. Having at least six male dancers able to dance Ali and bring the house down amply demonstrates the strength in depth at ENB.

Was that Surahashi's debut on Thursday afternoon???  Blummin' 'eck - he was terrific.  You are right Capybara - the company looks very strong throughout.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I was looking for to seeing Surahashi as Ali this evening but he was injured last night and is unlikely to dance now this evening.

That is if I of course get there as my trains are subject to cancellations and severe delays.

I am hoping to get there as I really want to see Klimentova and Muntagirov one last time before their last R&J in June!

Well I've just heard that apparently Daria Klimentova and Vadim Muntagirov are now no longer performing this evening. Apparently no Tamara Rojo at the matinee either and Matt Golding is at the ROH right now according to twitter.

I am very anxious to find out who I will be seeing as it could be an interesting cast it seems. I am holding out hope Laurretta Summerscales is still on as Gulnare this evening so I can at least see one of the people I really wanted to but I know it'll be great either way.

Oh thank you Strawberryy for letting me know that. At least I am seeing one half of my favourite duo then. I hope that Daria is doing okay though.

Edited to add: I've been told via Twitter by one of ENB's dancers that Fernanda Oliveira will be dancing in place of Daria Klimentova. DK is unwell unfortunately.

Edited by dollyry
  • Like 1

I don't know, will see if I find out anything tonight but according to those attending this afternoon Tamara wasn't on due to the indisposition of Matthew Golding but that doesn't seem right. Perhaps she didn't have enough time to rehearse with another partner though.

Is Tamara injured? Why can't Matthew dance?

We saw Erina Takahashi and Yonah Acosta this afternoon.  The cast sheets had obviously already been printed but there were notices in the foyer to announce the cast change.  Then a lady came on stage to announce the cast change due to Mr Golding's indisposition (as opposed to injury).

• Like 2

I don't know, will see if I find out anything tonight but according to those attending this afternoon Tamara wasn't on due to the indisposition of Matthew Golding but that doesn't seem right. Perhaps she didn't have enough time to rehearse with another partner though.

I can't believe that was entirely accurate, given that very early on in the production's history in Milton Keynes (before Matthew Golding made his debut in this fine production of Le Corsaire) Ms. Rojo had danced opposite the Conrad of the wonderful Mr. Rufala.  I pray that she is not injured.  

Edited by Meunier

I can't believe that was entirely accurate, given that very early on in the production's history in Milton Keynes (before Matthew Golding made his debut in this fine production of Le Corsaire) Ms. Rojo had danced opposite the Conrad of the wonderful Mr. Rufala.  I pray that she is not injured.  

Why should you assume that someone from the Company making an official announcement from the stage was telling fibs?

If Fernando Bufala had danced Conrad this afternoon that would have made a very interesting performance as he would have had to clone himsellf - he was dancing Birbanto.

It is not always that easy to switch people around and Mr Bufala has had a busy week - of the 3 performances I attended he has danced Birbanto twice and Conrad once.

Why the constant speculation - we are where we are (as the saying goes).

• Like 1

Why should you assume that someone from the Company making an official announcement from the stage was telling fibs?

If Fernando Bufala had danced Conrad this afternoon that would have made a very interesting performance as he would have had to clone himsellf - he was dancing Birbanto.

It is not always that easy to switch people around and Mr Bufala has had a busy week - of the 3 performances I attended he has danced Birbanto twice and Conrad once.

Why the constant speculation - we are where we are (as the saying goes).

Dear Janet, I did not - indeed do not - wish to make ANY assumptions/aspersions vis a vis the ENB Company representative.  I was, after all, not there myself.  How could I?  Also the item I quoted from Dollyry said that her reference was: 'according to those attending this afternoon'   I didn't realise that this specifically referred to the front of curtain speech.  Thank you for making that clear.  I SIMPLY - in my response to the specific item quoted - wanted to point out that Ms. Rojo HAD danced Medora with a partner other than Matthew Golding as Conrad.  That is ALL.  Additionally I was concerned as Ms. Rojo did not apparently appear on 12.2.14 in Manchester when Mr. Golding WAS dancing.  (My apologies for the mis-spelling of Mr. Bufala's name.)  I'm sure the matinee was brilliant.  I have seen the production ten times myself in three different locations with many different combinations and enjoyed each and every one of them.  The ENB Company as a whole is in brilliant shape.   

Edited by Meunier

Dear Janet, I did not - indeed do not - wish to make ANY assumptions/aspersions vis a vis the ENB Company representative.  I was, after all, not there myself.  How could I?  Also the item I quoted from Dollyry said that her reference was: 'according to those attending this afternoon'   I didn't realise that this specifically referred to the front of curtain speech.  Thank you for making that clear.  I SIMPLY - in my response to the specific item quoted - wanted to point out that Ms. Rojo HAD danced Medora with a partner other than Matthew Golding as Conrad.  That is ALL.  (My apologies for the mis-spelling of Mr. Bufala's name.)  I'm sure the matinee was brilliant.  I have seen the production ten times myself in three different locations with many different combinations and enjoyed each and every one of them.  The ENB Company as a whole is in brilliant shape.   

So why pick up on Dollyry's post #370 when she wasn't there as opposed to my post #372 where I reported as seen and heard by me what the Company representative announced from the stage?

So why pick up on Dollyry's post #370 when she wasn't there as opposed to my post #372 where I reported as seen and heard by me what the Company representative announced from the stage?

Because I was reading down the column - as opposed to up - and hit the quote key before I read the succeeding two items.  Forgive me.  I am, after all, a more than middling dyslexic - which surely is clear from the content of so many of the postings I have made here.  (It's also the reason why frequently there are words missing.  Even when I read it back there's a good chance I will not see it ... or believe in my own wayward mind that they are actually there when in fact they are not.) I have, I know, apologised for this on more than one occasion ... and will do so again here.  That much I can do.  No offense is intended I promise. 

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

I hadn't realised you are dyslexic Meunier - I had just assumed any "oddities" in you postings were for the same reason as mine - ie brain and finger disconnect (or trying to use a tablet or smart phone without the autocorrect switched off)!

No need to apologise and I apologise to you for grumpiness caused by wanting to see more performances but having to draw the line on my credit card somewhere.

Suffice to say that I have loved all 3 of the performances I have seen this week and sincerely wish I had seen more.  I probably would have booked more tickets but for the dire weather warnings and over spend on the credit card.  Indeed I would like to have seen more casts.  I hope it will be back in the rep soon.

• Like 1

Well, it's Vadim's last performance as an official member of ENB tonight. It's a shame that it's not with Daria but sometimes these things are no to be, and Fernanda will, I am sure, be a more than adequate substitute. Let's hope that everyone is back to full fitness soon. It must have been a very difficult week for Tamara. I hope that someone will report back on tonight's performance. I would have liked to have been there myself but I was worried about the weather and travel disruptions.

Sorry everyone for the misunderstanding I caused earlier, I was only reporting what I had heard from people there but always like to clarify if I haven't seen/heard something with my own eyes/ ears.

First interval at Manchester and Junor Souza is dancing Ali with Arionel Vargas taking his place as Lankendem and of course the aforementioned replacement of Daria Klimentova by Fernanda Oliveira. Everyone is performing fabulously and very sad though honoured to be at Vadim's last official performance with ENB. Will do a full report later.

• Like 1

Have had a full ENB day as attended the class and rehearsal this morning and matinee and evening performance. I don't know how the dancers do it. I was exhausted at 10pm just by watching them! Will comment later on their performances but just wanted to say Vadim took a special bow at the end and all the cast applauded him. A nice touch I thought.   Joan

Here is my review of Friday evening's performance. I know that you lot know this ballet and its details inside out but this article was written for an audience that is perhaps less familiar with the work than you:

"In the programme Tamara Rojo noted that Le Corsaire is such an important work that it is strange that no British company has ever owned a production. She added 

'The ballet was not entirely unknown to British audiences. The Bolshoi's version was broadcast live in 2012 and I watched it at the National Media Museum in Bradford.  "The great thing about having a work that no one else has is that you can really make it your own. This is going to be Le Corsaire for the United Kingdom.' 

Based on Lord Byron's The Corsair the ballet tells how Conrad, a corsair or privateer in love with Medora, a beautiful Greek woman in Turkish captivity, rescues her from a fate worse than death and takes her back to his den with other beauty including other captives. Conrad's lieutenant, Birbnanto, becomes dissatisfied with the distribution of the booty especially after Conrad promises to give it all to Medora especially after Medora persuades Conrad to liberate the other captives. He makes two attempts to mutiny the second od which results in the recapture of Medora. Conrad comes looking for Medora and rescues her a second time. Sailing away the corsair's barque is caught in the sort of storm that has been battering our coasts for the last few months and sinks. Conrad and Medora (or at least their spirits) survive and they fade away in each other's arms. 

This story provides juicy roles not only for the principals who dance Conrad and Medora but also for Birbanto, Ali (Conrad's sidekick), Lankendem (the governor of the city) and Gulnare, a young slave girl who is left behind in captivity. There is also a great character role for the fat old pasha who can't wait to get his hands on a pretty slave girl.

The production that I saw yesterday was commissioned from Anna-Marie Holmes who had staged the work for the wonderful Boston Ballet which visited us briefly this summer. Holmes's production was itself based on a revival of the work by Konstantin Sergeyev, the artistic director of what was then called the Kirov Ballet and is now once more the Mariinsky. The work that Sergeyev revived was choreographed by Marius Petipa to a score by Adam though with contributions from a number of other composers including Delibes and Minkus.

The work had its première in Milton Keynes on 17 Oct 2013 since when it has been staged in Southampton, Oxford, Bristol and London. Manchester is the last stop of its tour although it is going to Spain for a few days in April. The advantage of seeing a show at the end of a tour is that the company will have accumulated a lot of experience so the performance should be very polished.  Le Corsaire had had a very good run in London both from the critics and audiences. I therefore had very high expectations when I braved the elements on Valentine's day.

I was not disappointed. Conrad was danced by Zdenek Konvalina who danced with enormous energy and grace. He was partnered by Fernanda Oliveira as Medora. She was delightful.  Sweet and imploring when begging for the slave girls' freedom in Act II, fierce when cornered by Birbanto indignant when denouncing him to Conrad and very exciting to watch, particularly in the spectacular dances with Conrad and Ali in Act II.   Fabian Reimair projected slyness and malice as Birbanto.  Ken Saruhashi, who danced Lankendem, is an impressive young man with ambitions to dance Siegfried, Albrecht and Basilio, I am sure we shall see a lot of him. Michael Coleman, the fat old pasha (the archetypical dirty old man) had the audience chuckling as he vibrated after acquiring Medora. But the loudest applause on Friday went to Shiori Kase who danced Gulnare and Yonah Acosta who danced Ali.

When I mentioned that the crowd had gone wild for Acosta on BalletcoForum one of the ballet buffs replied: 

'Not to take anything away from Yonah Acosta, of course, but ENB's Corsaire audiences have all gone wild for Ali, whoever has been dancing the role!'

I can understand why that would be the case. Ali has some spectacular jumps that would raise a cheer whoever danced that character. But I was impressed by this young man and I am sure we shall all see a lot more of him. 

The same is true of Gulnare's role which is danced by an up and coming young dancer.Michaela dePrince (a Sierra Leonean dancer currently with Ernst Meisner's Junior Company whom I just can't see enough of) performed it for the Joburg Ballet when she was just 16 or 17. As with Ali's role the choreography certainly helps for there is a delightful flower dance in the pasha's garden. Shiori Kase danced it beautifully. All the audience could do after that scene was purr.

But there was yet another star and that was Bob Ringwood's designs.  Though overlooked by some, the sets, costumes and lighting can be as important to the success of a ballet as the dancing and the score.  The opening scene of old Istanbul wowed us before a step was danced.  The view of the sea from the pirates' cave took our breath away. The storm (so reminiscent of the news reels last week) made us shiver.  The costumes were sumptuous, particularly the pasha's outfit complete with paunch.  The multicoloured skirts in the opening scene were delicious. They must have been such fun to wear.

I do not know why this ballet has not been performed more often but  now that it is the repertoire I am sure it will become one of English National Ballet staples. Valentine's day happens to be my birthday and I cannot think of a better way of celebrating it."

I do hope this ballet does stick because I would love to see it again and again.
Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 1

I loved all 3 performances I saw in Manchester this week.

What can I say about Daria./Vadim/Junor on Tuesday night - it was bliss to see these wonderful dancers together and I am so pleased I had the chance.

On Thursday afternoon we saw Ksenia Ovsyanivk with Fernando Bufala and Ken Surahashi.  Alison McWhinney was Gulnare, Junor Souza, Lankendem and Max Westwell, Bribanto.  It was another thrilling performance.  Ksenia was sublime as Medora and I loved Max Westwell as Birbanto, full of braggadocio splendidly danced.  Ken Surahashi was a star for me in both performances I saw him in - as Birbanto and (unbelievably his debut) as Ali.  Alison McWhinney was a delight too. Junor Souza - what can I say - sensational!

Yesterday afternoon we saw Erina Takahashi and Yonah Acosta with Joan Zamora as Ali, Fernando Bufala as Birbanto, a divine Shiori Kase as Gulnare and Dmitri Gruzdyev as a wonderfully sleazy Lankendem.  If I am honest I had not imagined Yonah Acosta as a romantic lead but he was supremely romantic in the beautiful  Macmillanesque duet near the end of Act 2 (so much so that I could see him as a wonderful Romeo!).

I just love this Corsaire and hope it is soon back in the rep.  I agree with Terpsichore that it should become an ENB staple!

Ian Palmer was in the audience yesterday and asked to be remembered to BalletCo Forumers, especially Ann Williams, Bluebird and MichelleS.

• Like 2

I agree, Janet!  I would be very, very happy to see this every time it comes to London.  In fact, if Rojo is reading this, I would suggest ditching the Nutcracker (in London, anyway) and putting this on at Christmas instead. 

I am sure they could work a Christmas tree into the pirates' cave to give it a festive air!

......... I would suggest ditching the Nutcracker (in London, anyway) and putting this on at Christmas instead. 

I am sure they could work a Christmas tree into the pirates' cave to give it a festive air!

She can't get rid of The Nutcracker at Christmas. The very idea!

The Festival's Nutcracker is a London tradition like carols from King's, Hamleys toyshop, Christmas pudding, the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square, mince pies, Regent Street Lights, turkey with all the trimmings, Christmas cards, Father Christmas's grotto at Harrods, the Queen's broadcast, inebriation, Sound of Music on telly, shutdown of public services, Christmas cards, expensive presents, tears and tantrums, Brussels sprouts, tradesmen's Christmas boxes .........

I've introduced many nephews, nieces and other children (and their parents) to ballet through The Nutcracker over the years.

It is a good idea to provide a vegetarian alternative to The Nutcracker like Jewels as the Royal Ballet did this year if resources allow.

And there were lots of alternatives to The Nutcracker outside London last year such as Nixon's Cinderella in Leeds and Hampson's Hansel & Gretel in Glasgow.

Edited by terpsichore

Yesterday afternoon we saw Erina Takahashi and Yonah Acosta with Joan Zamora as Ali, Fernando Bufala as Birbanto, a divine Shiori Kase as Gulnare and Dmitri Gruzdyev as a wonderfully sleazy Lankendem.  If I am honest I had not imagined Yonah Acosta as a romantic lead but he was supremely romantic in the beautiful  Macmillanesque duet near the end of Act 2 (so much so that I could see him as a wonderful Romeo!).

I must say I was tempted by yesterday's cast when I was booking my tickets.

But it clashed with Northern Ballet's open day so how could I abandon them.............................

And I am so glad I went to Leeds because I was riveted by Ichino and indeed the other teachers. I learned so much.   Did you know there is a Yoko Ichino Appreciation Society. It has 145 or so members on Facebook and I am its latest recruit.

I think English National Ballet has generated a market for Le Corsaire and they will bring it back soon. Not only that but I also think other British companies will produce their versions of the work.  I certainly hope so.

I wonder whether Hampson or for that matter Nixon and Bintley would like to have a bash.

PS 

My mind is beginning to boggle. What about commissioning a new score, setting it off the Somali coast - a sort of balletic Captain Phillips? No.

Edited by terpsichore

No, please, no, no other companies doing it!  It is bad enough with RB, BRB and ENB all doing the Nutcracker.  I agree it is a wonderful Christmas ballet, but when you have two major companies in London doing the same ballet at the same time, it does get a bit much. 

I couldn't bear it if suddenly Covent Garden, the Coliseum and Sadlers Wells were all Le Corsaire-ing as well.  I think ENB has a real hit on its hands, I wouldn't like to see it diluted by RB suddenly deciding to get in on the act.  

Although I would love to see what Matthew Bourne could do with Le Corsaire. 

No, please, no, no other companies doing it!  It is bad enough with RB, BRB and ENB all doing the Nutcracker.  I agree it is a wonderful Christmas ballet, but when you have two major companies in London doing the same ballet at the same time, it does get a bit much. 

A lot of companies are doing it. Just not in the UK. I for one would love to have seen the South African Mzwamsi version but then I am a fan of Michaela de Prince. Interestingly that company seems to have a Nutcracker as well as a Le Corsaire in its repertoire.

I agree than English National Ballet has a hit on its hands. That is precisely why other companies will be tempted into the market. The laws of supply and demand work for the arts just as in everything else.

Yes I was thinking of Matthew Bourne though there others to whom that mind boggling scenario (which was not entirely serious) could apply.

I hadn't realised you are dyslexic Meunier - I had just assumed any "oddities" in you postings were for the same reason as mine - ie brain and finger disconnect (or trying to use a tablet or smart phone without the autocorrect switched off)!

No need to apologise and I apologise to you for grumpiness caused by wanting to see more performances but having to draw the line on my credit card somewhere.

Suffice to say that I have loved all 3 of the performances I have seen this week and sincerely wish I had seen more.  I probably would have booked more tickets but for the dire weather warnings and over spend on the credit card.  Indeed I would like to have seen more casts.  I hope it will be back in the rep soon.

Don't forget they filmed one of the London shows with Alina and Vadim so you will be able to buy the DVD and watch to your hearts content.

Does anyone know if Le Corsaire was filmed definitely for DVD?  Someone mentioned to me that they thought it was for "download" only.  I really hope it will be available on DVD since (like Janet and many others), I saw many performances and casts, and it still wasn't enough! And being of the slightly older generation, whilst download is OK, I prefer to have something tangible for my money, preferably with a nice picture on the front together with extras!!  :)

• Like 3

Was that Surahashi's debut on Thursday afternoon???  Blummin' 'eck - he was terrific.  You are right Capybara - the company looks very strong throughout.

Yes - it was Ken Saruhashi's debut as Ali on Thursday afternoon but, alas, he was injured dancing Lakendem on Friday night (replaced by Junor Souza mid performance, I understand) and could not therefore reprise his Ali yesterday evening.

It was so sad that Daria Klimentova was unwell and could not dance Medora to Vadim Muntagirov's Conrad last night. As someone has mentioned aboove, it was a very nice touch (and a very poignant moment) when the Company applauded Vadim in his last show as a member of ENB. One had the feeling that they would miss him a lot - as will ENB's audience. Vadim, you have given so much to ENB - good luck with the next exciting stage in your dancing life.........

Edited by capybara
  • Like 7

Vadim has posted on Twitter a photograph of a large group of ENB dancers, with him being thrown up into the air by some of them, after the last performance (I hope that they caught him!). I hope that he will have such supportive colleagues at the RB.

Does anyone know if Le Corsaire was filmed definitely for DVD?  Someone mentioned to me that they thought it was for "download" only.  I really hope it will be available on DVD since (like Janet and many others), I saw many performances and casts, and it still wasn't enough! And being of the slightly older generation, whilst download is OK, I prefer to have something tangible for my money, preferably with a nice picture on the front together with extras!!  :)

I thought I saw that it was going to DVD but I cannot find the comment, so frustrating. Be a great Christmas present though.

Vadim has posted on Twitter a photograph of a large group of ENB dancers, with him being thrown up into the air by some of them, after the last performance (I hope that they caught him!). I hope that he will have such supportive colleagues at the RB.

It looks as if it might be after class. Some of those in the picture, including Daria, had, I think, gone home before the end of last night's actual performance. In any event, a lovely example both of the tremendous spirit among ENB's dancers and of the esteem and affection they obviously feel for Vadim.

• Like 2

......................, alas, he was injured dancing Lakendem on Friday night (replaced by Junor Souza mid performance, I understand) and could not therefore reprise his Ali yesterday evening.

That is true. He landed badly towards the end of his dance and could not complete it. However, he stood up, bowed and walked off.

Some members of the audience saw there was something wrong and there was a subdued murmur but the whole incident was handled with such speed, efficiency and dignity that I had put it out of my mind until capybara mentioned it.

It did not mar a great performance in the least.

• Like 2