English National Ballet - Le Corsaire, 2013/14

That's disgusting.  I don't remember it being so bad back in 2012, but last year I got a bargain ticket offer from Viagogo and so didn't so much mind paying exorbitant booking fees because it still came out cheaper.

Shocking, isn't it, and I don;t remember it from previous years either?  I mean, why the hell should anyone pay a £1.50 booking fee when you are standing right there in the building at the ticket office?  And I STILL have not had a response about the seven odd pounds charge for "facilities". 

Let's hope this doesn;t spill over into other theatres.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this article (http://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2014/jan/30/ticket-sellers-fees-up-front?CMP=twt_gu - I don't know how to add a link unfortunately) a the charges that are put on top of ticket prices are being reviewed, and ATG will make the appropriate changes by March. Though I think the only changes are that they show you the full price upfront before you go through the ordeal of finding out that your ticket is actually £10 more expensive or something. Guess this is a start though...

• 2 weeks later...

Went last night. SO MUCH PRETTY *ahem*. 

Junor Souza made a cracking Ali, I'm still proud of myself that I didn't drool when he first came on. His switch split leaps were stunning. Birbanto, Fernando Bufala, was equally good, especially in the first act with the villagers where Nancy Obaldeston also shone. Shiori Kase stood out as one of the Odalisques. The Pasha and his assistant were also very well played. 

Daria Klimentova and Vadim Muntagirov were excellent as always, especially in the "bedroom" pas de deux, although the bit where she was doing splits above his head was slightly odd. She was also lovely in the Jardin Anime scene, as was Lauretta Summerscales. In some places it felt like Vadim could've been more commanding with the other pirates but you can't fault either his partnering or his dancing. The pas de trois with Junor Souza was excellent and he may have actually got more applause than the main two. 

Costumes and sets are both very rich and especially lovely in the Jardin Anime scene. I was almost blinded by the costumes in act 1! One problem I have with the costumes is that they can very easily make the dancers look like they have disproportionately long bodies, especially the villagers but they still worked really well. 

The circle was much fuller than I expected, which is very good but I'm sitting in the grand tier tonight and that's still looking pretty empty unfortunately.

• Like 1

Last night was my first view of Le Corsaire and I think it was lovely.  Fabulous sets, costumes and music topped off with a refreshed enthusiastic ENB...bravo!!!  Daria's set of 32 fouettes were so tight and neat -wonderful and I loved her Italian fouettes too.  Junor's splits mid air? yes they were death defying!!!!  Vadim was very good too and he and Daria are a dream to watch.  Lauretta Summerscales as Gulnare was lovely.  The  Pasha was fab soooo funny!  A great night had by all I think.  Looking forward to Tamara and Matthew now.

Edited by Don Q Fan

Saw last night with Laurretta Summerscales (replacing Tamara Rojo) and Matthew Golding. Whole production was wonderful. Laurretta shone, however it did seem like it took some time for the partnering to develop, but it was perfect by the pas de deux in Act 2, which I felt was beautiful. Matthew Golding I thought was very good and played the brooding hero role perfectly, however I think it would be very interesting to see him in a more dramatic role where he can really show off his emotions. Thought Joan Sebastian Zamora was very good as well as Ali, and the whole cast did very good. 

Parts of the scenery did make an awful noise during changes or when they sat of the bed, it did squeak a bit causing a bit of humour, which may have detracted from the show. There were also a number of people I heard complaining towards the end that the lighting was very bad (but I thought it was fine!). 

Such a shame that in the circle where I was sitting, it was only about half full. Can't comment on the rest of the theatre as I didn't look, but I can only presume that it was similarly just as empty. One reason for this may be as the main advertising spaces outside The Palace are taken up with posters for Let It Be, and Priscilla Queen of the Desert (and I go past the theatre often and never saw big posters). Think this was a huge mistake on whoever handles the marketing side of things! 

Overall though, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Bit of a ridiculous ballet, but completely beautiful dancing. 

Really looking forward to tomorrow's performance - weather permitting - with Fernanda Oliveira as Medora, Zdenek Konvalina as Conrad and young Yonah Acosta whom I have never seen before. My present to myself and I will review it afterwards.

Anyone else going?

Well I shall be there come Hell or high water and the weather forecast does indeed suggest a little of both.    

I shall be very pleased to say hello to any member of this forum who would care to meet me in the bar in the first interval.  If we have not already met please message me.

This promises to be a great weekend for ballet: Le Corsaire tomorrow, Northern Ballet's open day on Saturday and Cinderella on Sunday where I hope to make the acquaintance of Dave of Dave Tries Ballet who I suspect is also a subscriber to this Forum.  

I have already been treated this evening to a riveting performance of Coriolanus by the Donmar Warehouse with Tom Hiddleston as Cajus Martius, Nirgitte Hjort Sorensen as Virgilia and Deborah Findlay as Volumnia, This is my favourite work by Shakespeare and I think this is the best production of the play that I have ever seen.

• Like 1

I'm back for the Saturday matinee.  

I was contemplating going on Saturday myself in Manchester.  Only cloud - I wonder if Tamara Rojo will be dancing?  Was she listed as injured or ill during her absence on Tuesday evening?  I pray she will be alright for Madrid.  I know how much it must mean to her ... and certainly to sells there I would imagine.  

She wasn't due to be dancing on Tuesday so I'm afraid I don't know Meunier.

Sorry, I meant Wednesday.  I should have stuck to the date (12.2.14).  If it hadn't been for BcoF I wouldn't have known she had been replaced.  (Ref. posting no. 341. )  You are a much valued service.  Bless all those people whose extraordinary efforts make it is the fine fruitful resource it is.  Your services are deeply valued by what I am certain is an ever burgeoning many.

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 2

Yes I've been wondering on casting too now as I am due there tomorrow evening.

If Laurretta Summerscales replaces Tamara Rojo again she wouldn't be likely to then dance Gulnare too in the evening as planned would she? Perhaps she would. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Intrigued as to what cast I may get, it is sure to be a good show either way.

• Like 1

I think that is the great thing about this production, that all the casts I saw brought their own individuality to the roles, and were all fantastic.  I am also impressed by the strength and depth that ENB seems to have the moment with its dancers.

I know it is slightly different to the RB, in that they are only performing the one production, but I was amazed that ENB seemed to have so many talented performers, particularly on the male side, who could swap roles on different nights.  

• Like 2

Completely agree. ENB really seem to be rounding out at the moment with talented dancers of all ranks. It is such a treat for audiences as no matter what cast/ combination you see it is always a fantastic performance. The dancers really give it their all (as do all ballet dancers of course) even when you can maybe tell from their postings online that they are absolutely exhausted.

I really have to applaud their dedication and also the dedication of other companies too. We really are spoiled for choice in the UK!

• Like 2

Yes, ballet is incredibly demanding, sometimes more so for the corps particularly if they are dancing many performances in a short space of time. When you read some of the comments about rehearsals and classes (some sound more like torture than training!) and see photographs of dancers with their feet in ice baths it really brings it home to you how tough ballet is and how their bodies are pushed to the limit. I also see frequent references to gym workouts on Twitter and I was shocked to see a film of Alina Cojacaru in which she was lifting what seemed to be some very heavy weights for someone so slightly built. They must be truly dedicated to their art.

....... Contemplating tomorrow evening but the forecast weather is BAD.

You weren't joking lady.

Just nipped out to the ATM for some cash for my daily and was nearly airborne. Snowing on the Tops. Temperature in  my little sheltered hollow 3C.  What a day to cross the Pennines.  As Tony Hancock used to say: "stone the crows!"

Oliveira, Konvalina, Acosta et al, you had better be worth it.

Safe journey Terpsie!  I'm being cowardly and waiting for my matinee tomorrow (can't be greedy, I've already seen 2 this week!)

Thanks. Should be OK. I will be careful.

I notice you and others like to see the same production with different casts during the same season.   There is a lot to be said for that because one can sink one's teeth into a work.  I like to see a diversity of works of different standards from different companies but I do appreciate that there is a trade off.

I will let you all know how this lot get on by mobile internet as soon as I leave the Palace and then do a more detailed review when I have a bit more time.

I think the show will be worth the bother.

Edited by terpsichore

Well I had better get ready for tonight's ballet, As I am sitting in the stalls (orchestra for the sake of our transatlantic cousins the "stalls" being quite a different part of a theatre in North America) I would normally wear a dress but in view of the weather polar explorer's gear would be more appropriate.

In view of the rave reviews this show has received I am really looking forward to it.   Should make up for the disappointment of

1. being one year older with one foot more firmly burrowing into the grave
  2. receiving a demand for £954 from my regulator
  3. the atrocious weather
  4. being spammed by Pizza Hut, M & S and just about every claims handler in the North of England
  5. and so many other petty vexations that have occurred today that are too numerous to particularize.

I have seen most of the other ENB principals at one time or another but not these guys before so I am curious.

Well it was wonderful. It more than lived up to my expectations.

I was awestruck by Ringwood's designs before a single step was damcd.

Fernanda Oliviera and Zdenek Konvalina were good but the crowd went wild for Yonah Acosts who danced Ali and Shioei Kase who danced Gulnare. There was some great character dancing from Michale Coleman who danced the pasha.

A proper review will follow shortly.

• Like 1

but the crowd went wild for Yonah Acosts who danced Ali 

Not to take anything away from Yonah Acosta, of course, but ENB's Corsaire audiences have all gone wild for Ali, whoever has been dancing the role!

Souza, Muntagirov, Acosta, Konvalina, and Zamora have all been great and this week sees Ken Saruhashi in the part for the first time. Having at least six male dancers able to dance Ali and bring the house down amply demonstrates the strength in depth at ENB.

Tonight is an occasion for both rejoicing and sadness. Daria Klimentova and Vadim Muntagirov will dance the full Le Corsaire together for the last time.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

Not to take anything away from Yonah Acosta, of course, but ENB's Corsaire audiences have all gone wild for Ali, whoever has been dancing the role!

Yes. one can appreciate why that would be the case. Spectacular choreography.

It is indeed sad that this is the last time Klimentova and Muntagirov will dance in Le Corsaire. I am so glad that I saw them just before Christmas.

I am in the middle of writing a full review of last night's performance for my blog which I will adapt for this forum.  I will finish it off after I get back from Northern Ballet's open day.

It does seem unfair that Ali gets the most cheers at the end, but of all the Ali's I saw at the Coliseum Yonah Acosta's was the most exciting, glad to hear it wasn't a one-off!  The others were more elegant, but he had more animal power, rather like Carlos  :)