English National Ballet - Le Corsaire, 2013/14

I forgot to mention Nancy who lit up the stage as Lead Villager, dancing with Yonah. There's something about her; whenever she's on stage you're interested in what she's doing. I suppose it's charisma.

Absolutely agree 100%! She's rapidly become one of my favourite dancers. I'm seriously debating writing to David Bintley and suggesting BRB poach her straight into the upper ranks. :) She'd be a really good fit in that company, I reckon. 

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, there! Don't do that! We ENB fans want to keep her!

I've just watched some YouTube clips of Farouk Ruzimatov dancing the Ali variation and pdd. He is absolutely mesmerising. What beautifully fluid and unforced bravura dancing. It must have been incredible to see him dance this live.

• Like 2

The "strong possibility" is becoming reality today: as confirmed yesterday by Tamara Rojo, they are filming the last two shows of the Cojocaru Muntagirov cast.

Tamara is determined to have it available for a larger audience. The quality of the dancing and of the production deserves that. I hope it could be just the start of a new policy of the company and other films will follow: ENB definitely is not "perilously understarred" at the moment, having a relevant number of great and charismatic dancers in its ranks!

That's good to hear, but will it be a DVD, a TV broadcast, cinema, online or what?  There are so many options these days.

I would have liked to see Yonah as Ali but I don't think that he is doing it again in London. What was he like as Conrad? He's being kept very busy, with different roles in three consecutive performances (Birbanto, Conrad, Ali).

I believe Yonah Is doing Ali tomorrow(tuesday) night. Well worth seeing!  

• Like 1

I believe Yonah Acosta is doing Ali tomorrow and that Joan Zamora is doing the two performances on Saturday.  If you intend going specially to see Joan Zamora, I suggest you call ENB and check when he's doing the role.

Edited to add that, for the remaining performances, I think the casting on the website (the one I posted a few days ago) is no longer completely up to date for all the roles -i.e. the rearranging of the role of Ali that I've already mentioned and possibly the role of Gulnare on Saturday afternoon.  However, when it comes to casting, nothing is ever certain and there might yet be further changes. 

Edited by Bluebird

I believe Yonah Acosta is doing Ali tomorrow and that Joan Zamora is doing the two performances on Saturday.  If you intend going specially to see Joan Zamora, I suggest you call ENB and check when he's doing the role.

Edited to add that, for the remaining performances, I think the casting on the website (the one I posted a few days ago) is no longer completely up to date for all the roles -i.e. the rearranging of the role of Ali that I've already mentioned and possibly the role of Gulnare on Saturday afternoon.  However, when it comes to casting, nothing is ever certain and there might yet be further changes. 

Yes, I believe Ksenia is dancing Gulnaire next Saturday afternoon not Fernanda. 

Went to see the matinee yesterday and was astounded by the company as a whole (haven't seen ENB for a while) they are in fantastic form especially the men but in fact I thought everybody yesterday was on the top of their game!!

Alina and Muntagirov were in the lead roles and as I don't know the ballet except for the famous pas de deux(actually a pas de trois though) I had no idea there was so much dancing for the Medora role!! Very demanding but Alina was superb as usual in some very difficult technical pieces.

ALL the men were fantastic but it was Junor Souza as Ali that I just could not take my eyes off when he was on stage a truly wonderful performance. But Yonah Acosta positively owned the stage as well and showed some strong acting skills.

So a great afternoon was had and I hope they keep this Corsaire in the repertoire as its such a feel good and enjoyable ballet with so,many good roles and it would be lovely to see it regularly.

My only dilemma now is going to be trying to see both the ENB and the Royal (in London) what a feast of dancers to see between the two companies!!

Aileen you mentioned Farouk Ruzimatov in a previous post......he is one of the dancers(and especially in the role of Ali) that I most regret never having seen live. A bit of a show off yes but something magnetic comes across just in videos.

And another by the way.....they were filming the matinee of Corsaire yesterday at the Coli

• Like 1

Well as I said in previous post it was definitely the Cojocaru cast if there is a set cast for when she and Muntagirov are the leads.

I have no idea for whom or why the recording was being made but something was definitely going on as I was sitting in Row B in the Upper circle and was treated to a mans bottom (fully clothed of course) protruding over the edge for most of one of the intervals (i was worried he was leaning over so far that he might go right over!) and then in discussion with another man (both dressed in black) about something. Whether it was a real or practice recording have no idea!!

I too was at the Sunday matinee and thought everyone was splendid and seemed to be enjoying themselves hugely. The dancing is certainly of a very high standard and the Royal may envy ENB the very high standard of dancing seen by all the male soloists. Can't wait to see it again in Manchester. I love the sets and costumes but as a production I do think the Kirov's is unbeatable. From the very loud opening gong (or is it symbols) and racy overture and wonderful shipwreck scene you know you're going to be in for a real treat. I first saw them perform it in Birmingham in 1990 and thought it incredible. I'd never seen anything like it and it formed the basis of my current love of ballet. Please insist they bring it this year Mr and Mrs Hochhauser. We'd love to see another Corsaire and it's been ages since we've seen it.

• Like 1

The dancing is certainly of a very high standard and the Royal may envy ENB the very high standard of dancing seen by all the male soloists. 

Precisely.

And, of course, Ivan Putrov's Men in Motion at the Coli later this month also features Vadim Muntagirov and Yonah Acosta.

• Like 1

I was also at yesterday's (Sunday's) matinee of Le Corsaire, and agree with LinMM and JMHopton that it was an outstanding peformance, one where it was difficult to decide who was having the most fun, the audience or the cast!.  I was with a friend who had actually seen Thursday's performance with almost the same cast (apart from the role of Gulnara; I've lost my cast list so can't say who danced the role yesterday but she was excellent).  My friend said that yesterday's performance was so much better than Thursday's that it felt almost like a different ballet to her.  I agree with all the positive comments about the dancers - I'm of course familiar with Alina and Vadim, but Junior Souza as Ali was new to me and I though he was a thrilling dancer - his huge, easy leaps and fast spear-like jetes mark out a very promising future for him,

A special word, though, for Dimitri Gruzdyev as Lankadem.  I saw him dance here with the Kirov in the  early 90s when I was quite new to ballet , and to me  - even then - he was the best male dancer on stage.  I think he just just stayed in London when the Kirov went home, and ended up  with the ENB. which was a lucky day for them.  That was more than twenty years ago so I'm guessing he must now be in his late thirties or early 40s, and he's still the most amazingly strong and powerful dancer - his jumps and spins still look effortless - long may he last!

• Like 2

It was Erina Takahashi as Gulnare on Sunday!

It was also nice to see Michael Coleman still on the stage. A bit of a silly role but he made the most of it!

It's great that the ENB have so many good alternative casts as well I would also have loved to see Joan Zamora as I remember him from the RBS students show last summer another dancer full of promise!

It's great that the ENB have so many good alternative casts as well I would also have loved to see Joan Zamora as I remember him from the RBS students show last summer another dancer full of promise!

He was very good in what I think was his debut performance back in the autumn :)

• Like 1

I too was at the Sunday matinee. I noticed on the cast list that they were recording the performance, so I asked the usher if it was for a dvd and she said yes. Fingers crossed!

Incidentally the guy in black adjusting the equipment attached to the front of the upper circle during the first interval was working on the sound and they were very pleased with how it was going. It was good to hear because I thought the orchestra was superb.

• Like 2