English National Ballet - Le Corsaire, 2013/14

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to Ian McMillan; the Corsaire pas de deux is thought to have been developed by the great Russian dancer Vakhtang Chabukiani at some time during the 1930s.  It's based on the pas de trois which features in both the ENB and Mariinsky productions and which was introduced to the ballet only in 1915 with choreography by Samuil Andrianov.  Chabukiani was famously the first Soviet dancer to be seen in the USA when he did a tour there with Tatiana Vecheslova in 1934 and it seems likely that the Corsaire pas de deux was cooked up for this.

I believe that it had largely fallen out of favour until Nureyev's teacher Alexander Pushkin staged it for the young Nureyev and Alla Sizova and the pair famously danced it at their graduation performance.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

ENB's Le Corsaire sailed into Bristol Hippodrome last night and I now see why it has everyone raving. Such a fantastic night at the ballet!

I loved the sheer volume of dancing for all ranks of dancers and the lead cast was certainly star-packed. Alina Cojocaru and Vadim Muntagirov were sublime as Medora/Conrad - melting into each other's arms during the bedroom (bedtent?) Pas de Deux. The Pas de Trois with Junor Souza as Ali was a complete showstopper and Yonah Acosta shone as Birbanto, especially in Act II. Takahasi and Gruzdyev were also brilliant as Gulnare and Lakendem and the three odalisques were beautiful.

I was entranced for the whole evening, and judging by the audience's reaction so too was everyone else. One thing I really liked (and which was a bit missing when I saw ABT do Corsaire a couple of years ago) was the fierceness of the dancers - Muntagirov managed to meld perfect textbook and gorgeous lines with a harder side to his character. I wouldn't want to cross his Conrad in a fight! Cojocaru also played a delightfully feisty Medora in Act I - makes me want to desperately see her Kitri!

In case you can't tell(!) I absolutely loved Corsaire and it is definitely worthy of the glowing reviews. Hopefully this is the first of many successful new pieces for Rojo and ENB - very excited to see the Barbican triple bill now!

• Like 5

One thing I really liked (and which was a bit missing when I saw ABT do Corsaire a couple of years ago) was the fierceness of the dancers

David, you've reminded me of what it was I never liked about ABT in this: they never took it seriously.  I don't know whether it features on the ABT DVD, but when their Le Corsaire was televised on the BBC some years ago the leading dancers did an introduction to it, and it was all "it's all a load of silliness, really".  Okay, it *is* a lot of tosh :), but looking at the way the Kirov used to dance it when it was new(?) to them I remember they always believed wholeheartedly in what they were doing, and so convinced the audience, too. 

• Like 3

CONTAINS SPOILERS (What's the etiquette about this for ballet? :) )

Just got back from a lovely evening at the Hippodrome in Bristol! I'm going to keep my comments short for two reasons; firstly, I started the day with a mini hangover and so I'm looking forward to going back to bed, and secondly because I'm off to see it again tomorrow (I won competition tickets for tonight but bought tomorrow) so I'll try and report back with my casting comparisons tomorrow. This is also the first time I've tried to 'review' a ballet, so apologies if I make a mess of it. ;)

So, I largely agree with Sue's comments from Oxford, as I think the casts were similar. The star of the show tonight was, by a fair distance, Yonah Acosta. Easily the biggest cheer of the night both after the act II fireworks and at the curtain call. Deservedly so, too, as he owned the stage with charisma and perfectly measured power and physicality.

As a relative newbie to ballet, I've only seen ENB twice before. Theirs was the first Swan Lake I saw, and I came away from that feeling the same about Fernanda Oliveira (O/O) as I did tonight, namely that she has undoubted technical ability and is a beautiful dancer, but I'd like to see her inject some more personality into her performances. Tomorrow I'll be seeing Alina in the same part, so it'll be interesting for me as a newcomer to see how much this is possible!

And Nancy Osbaldston? She is just a delightful sugar cube of a dancer, and magnetic whenever she's on stage. It's hard to put my finger on precisely why, but her dancing is just so completely enjoyable to watch. :) Deserved winner of the ENB Emerging Dancer award, even though her fellow finalist Alison McWhinney as the Lilac Fairy in their Sleeping Beauty is one of my favourite ballet memories so far. There really is an embarrassment of riches in the lower ranks of ENB!

The choreography, for me, took a little while to get going, and Act I could've started with a bit more of a bang for me, but after the first interval everything came alive, and as well as the showpiece sections for the men, the bedroom PDD was lovely, accompanied by a stunning set and a beautiful costume for Medora. 

Finally, the production values were top-notch. The sets, sparkly costumes and lighting were fantastic. And the shipwreck scene at the end was magnificent!

All-in-all a great night, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Alina can do with her Medora tomorrow. :)

• Like 2

CONTAINS SPOILERS (What's the etiquette about this for ballet? :) )

Well, if you really wanted, you could use spoiler tags as I suggest here http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1968-london-underground-game/?p=27293 :).  As for etiquette, hmm, I'm not sure: possibly omit describing any coups de théatre or sudden plot twists?  I think we're probably all aware, though, that Romeo and Juliet end up killing themselves, for example.

• Like 1

Well, if you really wanted, you could use spoiler tags as I suggest here http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1968-london-underground-game/?p=27293 :).  As for etiquette, hmm, I'm not sure: possibly omit describing any coups de théatre or sudden plot twists?  I think we're probably all aware, though, that Romeo and Juliet end up killing themselves, for example.

Wait......WHAT???

;-)

• Like 3

After back to back nights in Bristol, I can only concur with all the glowing reviews already posted. It was superb.

We had originally planned to miss the long haul to London as ENB were actually coming to us, but now we are planning yet another trip to London to see it again...and it will a tough choice on which cast to see.

Thursday cast was Cojocaru/Muntagirov with Acosta as Birbanto , Gruzdyev as Lankendem, Souza as Ali and Oliviera as Gulanare

There were a few slip-ups and Alina was definitely having a problem with fouettes....I do hope she isn't injured again... but the purity of her line and her partnering was just wondrous. Jonah Acosta was very impressive and the sbsolute highlight was Vadim Muntagirov who was simply amazing. It was a privilege to watch him. The stage was far too small for those wonderfully long legs of his.

Friday  cast was Rojo/Golding with Reimar as Birbanto, Souza as Lankendem, Zamora as Ali and Summerscales as Gulnare

Reimar was a wonderfully nasty Birbanto and Lauretta Summerscales was lovely. While not reaching the heights of Muntagirov (figuratively and literally), Matthew Golding was excellent and Tamara was outstanding. (Oh how I have missed those feet at Covent Garden this year....)  

Incidentally I've always thought of Michael Coleman as Jeremy Fisher but now he is definitely the Pasha. So much fun and so sparkly he lit up the stage!

The costumes are colourful, the sets are great, the orchestra played with gusto and the dancers acted with passion and  gave it their all.... Both shows were to rapturous and well deserved applause. Tamara has done a simply wonderful job and I hope she is proud. Bristol has certainly been a brighter place thanks to her these past few days.

If you haven't got tickets get some...but not until I've got mine at the coliseum!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Medora: Alina Cojocaru; Tamara Rojo; Daria Klimentova; Erina Takahashi; Fernanda Oliviera; Ksenia Ovsyanick; Laurretta Summerscales...

I am looking forward to seeing dear Alina at the Coliseum tomorrow.

If asked whom else I want to see in the list above, I would say: Elena Glurjidze.

Why, why she hasn't been cast for this role, which should be hers by right?

Edited for typo.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 3

I totally agree Amelia, Gulnare is almost as big a role as Medora and as far as I can ascertain, she won't be dancing that role either.  I am becoming increasingly uneasy about this sidelining of a great artist.

Worth mentioning (again?) that ENB are not doing standbys.

In other words, students, the old (who may have supported the co for decades), locals and equity members aren't welcome - unless they are flush with cash of course.

What ENB has gained over the years with its standby scheme at the Coli is multiple attendances on the part of the Company's fans. Most people I speak to have the habit of buying a full price ticket fairly early on and then 'topping up' with extras. This increases the Company's following (something which Tamara has headlined as an aim) and ensures knowledgeable, enthusiastic audiences throughout a run. The removal of the standby option is a retrograde step. In contrast tonight, I'm sure, the audience will be packed with people on freebies who will be wined and feted - yet some of them, at least, have no real allegiance to, or interest in, ENB

Just received an email about a Time Out ticket offer for Le Corsaire at The Coliseum.   £40 tickets reduced to £25.

http://uk-offers.timeout.com/deals/enb-le-corsaire

Edited to add that tickets have to be ordered before midnight on Saturday January 11.

Thanks, Bluebird.  Worth mentioning that, as standard, TO offers don't allow you to select seats - it's totally pot luck.

I'll happily sit in the 'upper reaches' for the opera where intricacies of movement aren't important, but for ballet I prefer to be a lot closer.  Capybara's analysis of ENB fans spending habits seems to sum me up perfectly:  splashing out on first night and then getting standbys to support the other casts.

The Corsaire has restarted at the Coliseum.  An excellent dress rehearsal last night with an enthusiastic cast. Here are some pictures to encourage you to go and see it.

ENB%2B-%2BCorsaire%2B-%2BColiseum%2B-%2B

Lankendem - Ken Saruhashi, Medora - Laurretta Summerscales, Pasha - Michael Coleman and Pasha Assistant - Shevelle Dynott 

ENB+-+Corsaire+-+Coliseum+-+2014_jr_168_

Arionel Vargas - Conrad and Laurretta Summerscales - Medora 

ENB+-+Corsaire+-+Coliseum+-+2014_jr_202_

Children of Tring School and Artists of the English National Ballet 

More pictures from the Coliseum on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk

• Like 4

An unbelievable night of Le Corsaire this evening. Amazing performances all round and a great reception from an enthusiastic audience. It felt like a celebratory party

There has been talk elsewhere on balletcoforum about the strength, or lack of it, among the RB men. Tonight, in one cast from ENB's rich resource of talent, we were treated to Vadim Muntagirov, Junor Souza and Yonah Acosta. Wow!

• Like 6

Some pictures, by the terrific Foteini Christofilopoulou, from the ENB Le Corsaire photoshoot with Laurretta Summerscales and Arionel Vargas in the lead

11867288695_e3678d9222_c.jpg

Arionel Vargas, Laurretta Summerscales

© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

11867575773_dfde13cd85_z.jpg

Ksenia Ovsyanick

11867713094_cedecfe055_z.jpg

Ksenia Ovsyanick, Ken Saruhashi & ENB dancers

See more...

Foteini Christofilopoulou: English National Ballet in Le Corsaire

Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 1

As Tamara intended, this ballet really showcases the men and last night they did not disappoint. I have seen previous comments about Vadim being a bit bland in the role. Perhaps he has been in earlier performances, but last night I felt that he had great authority on the stage, and his height certainly adds to his presence. People around me were gasping at Junor's jumps. Dimitri was fantastic as Lankedam: very characterful and pantherine in his dancing. Although Yonah was excellent in the role of Birbanto I certainly didn't feel that he outshone Vadim or Junor. Although Alina is a beautifully characterful and charismatic dancer I felt that she struggled very slightly with the technical demands of the role. Shori, as Gulnare, was rock solid technically, as usual, but could benefit from projecting herself a bit more on stage (in this she could learn a few lessons from Alina). I felt that there was quite good chemistry between Vadim and Alina although he came across as tender rather than ardent as a lover.

The sets were wonderful. I loved the detailed orientalist painted backdrops, and the scene changes were very smoothly handled. The costumes were attractive, although I was almost blinded by the bling for the Pasha and his retinue. I would put this ballet in the same category as Don Quixote in that it is a rather daft story with little emotional depth. Others have said that this production is too rushed (I have read somewhere that some versions are over three hours in length) but I was happy with the length. IMO, there are quite a few ballets which would benefit from being trimmed (the RB's DQ being a recent example which comes to mind).

All in all, I think that it's a classy addition to ENB's repertoire. Although I have some reservations about the RB's Don Q (some of which might be addressed by changing some of the casting) I feel very heartened that the two London based ballet companies have had the courage to 'commission' (I'm not sure if that's quite the right word) two new productions of two old classics which have been absent or largely absent from the UK ballet repertoire. I'm going again tomorrow (with the rest of the family) and will be interested to see what Tamara and Matthew (and, I think, Vadim as Ali) make of their roles.

• Like 2

I'll post more tomorrow, but I just wanted to say that Vadim owned that stage and that Junor was a revelation in the role of Ali (and received very favourable comparison with Nureyev from the knowledgable lady sitting next to me).

My companion compared Junor Souza to Faroukh Ruzimatov (he never saw Nureyev), but what this dancer possesses is an innate understanding of the dynamics of the role that were second nature to RN & FR.  Ali is artistically a first cousin to Fokine's Golden Slave and should share the sensuality and pantherine movement that both roles require.

Souza's performance last night proved just how versatile this dancer is, a complete contrast to his elegant and romantic Nutcracker of the past weeks, he is yet another ENB dancer who grows in stature with every new role.

• Like 3