DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

Re. the question of invited audiences, young ROH etc. cheering, whooping and clapping excessively/ inappropriately.  I've heard comments on this for ballets, operas & musicals.  You have to realise that today many people have learnt their ideas of  "appropriate" audience behaviour from "Britain's Got Talent" and "Strictly Come Dancing".  

• Like 6

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles and Camilla Windsor did not attend the performance on Tuesday night. I gather those individuals often do go to the ROH, as they are fans of opera and ballet, with minimal fuss.

On Tuesday night the Head of State made an official visit to the ROH on a ballet night, for which everyone who thinks ballet is important and somewhat neglected by the Establishment should be glad, as this can only give it a boost.

• Like 24

I think it wonderful that the Royal visit has been so well publicised. It is obvious that it is not just a duty call, but

a real personal pleasure for them. This could be of lasting benefit helping to make ballet fashionable again amongst the "great and good", and lead to more sponsorship/do actions to RB and maybe other companies too.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Henry said:

Re. the question of invited audiences, young ROH etc. cheering, whooping and clapping excessively/ inappropriately.  I've heard comments on this for ballets, operas & musicals.  You have to realise that today many people have learnt their ideas of  "appropriate" audience behaviour from "Britain's Got Talent" and "Strictly Come Dancing".  

I have no problem with enthusiastic audience members cheering at the end of a particularly wonderful solo - that's lovely. I love it when the audience claps when the principals first enter on stage and I have no problem what people verbalise during curtain calls (as long as it's polite!). It's when the performers just are on stage and the cheering and screaming go on all the time, as in the Nunez/Muntagirov performance I went to. Seriously, it was like witnessing videos I've seen of Beatles mania and was, quite frankly, really distracting and silly at times. It stopped the ballet for extended periods and ruined the flow of performance, at times, for me. I just ended of raising my eyebrows and thinking how silly and excessive it all was. I don't watch Britain's Got Talent, I have to say and gave up on Strictly some time ago, for various reasons, though it wasn't to do with filmed audiences 🤣

I go to the West End frequently (to see musicals) and I have no issues with cheering and whooping there - I expect it, but I don't expect it excessively at the ballet because the music and dancing is pretty continuous and rarely should there be significant pauses, IMO, or interruptions. 

Also, in the Act III PDD of Don Q, I find it confusing that audiences are now clapping when the PDD hasn't finished, such a shame as I couldn't hear the music as the PDD continued! I know that also happens in the Lilac Fairy solo in SB - but I understand that as, quite honestly, I find that solo a bit clumsily choreographed and strange.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 3

I do wonder if the audience starting to clap during a difficult solo sometimes causes a dancer to lose concentration which can lead to a fall (possibly what happened on Tuesday evening). I know it's very difficult not to join in if others start clapping when something brilliant is happening on stage - I've found myself doing it a few times - but I think it's both better and safer to wait until it's finished. A huge burst of applause at the end is more appropriate and adds to the drama, whereas clapping as it happens reduces it to a kind of spectacle in which the dancer is doing tricks. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I do wonder if the audience starting to clap during a difficult solo sometimes causes a dancer to lose concentration which can lead to a fall (possibly what happened on Tuesday evening). I know it's very difficult not to join in if others start clapping when something brilliant is happening on stage - I've found myself doing it a few times - but I think it's both better and safer to wait until it's finished. A huge burst of applause at the end is more appropriate and adds to the drama, whereas clapping as it happens reduces it to a kind of spectacle in which the dancer is doing tricks. 

During one conversation with the dancers, a question was asked whether they are bothered or disturbed by applause during a variation, for example during a fouette series.  The answer was that on the contrary, it would encourage them to perform better.  I saw 2 performances of Don Q with Nela and Vadim, and the reaction of the audience seemed reasonable and the atmosphere in the audience was great.  When I previously had the opportunity to watch a ballet performance from Russia on YouTube, the audience there clapped and shouted almost continuously, which was not very pleasant, in addition, the audience quite often recorded entire performances on their mobile phones.  Fortunately, these morass remained in Russia.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DVDfan said:

Charles and Camilla Windsor did not attend the performance on Tuesday night. I gather those individuals often do go to the ROH, as they are fans of opera and ballet, with minimal fuss.

On Tuesday night the Head of State made an official visit to the ROH on a ballet night, for which everyone who thinks ballet is important and somewhat neglected by the Establishment should be glad, as this can only give it a boost.

This is exactly why I am so pleased they attended. Lovely to have a bit of PR for the ROH. Also lovely that Camilla Windsor got to actually see the full stage as it seems she quite enjoys the ballet.

• Like 1

Oh right! I don’t buy newspapers any more not even weekend ones so missed all that. Didn’t see any coverage on news channels either though usually on Tuesday nights I’m staying where there is no Tv or WiFi so could have missed I suppose! 

I don’t have any problem with the King and Queen ( better not say Charles and Camilla lol!) visiting the ROH to see the ballet especially if staying to meet the dancers afterwards. 
It was all the secretiveness about the invited audience which I think was a bit unnecessary. 
Although a visit from the King and Queen might be some kudos for the ROH and very nice every so often I don’t actually think their visit will bring in any extra audience for the Ballet. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oh right! I don’t buy newspapers any more not even weekend ones so missed all that. Didn’t see any coverage on news channels either though usually on Tuesday nights I’m staying where there is no Tv or WiFi so could have missed I suppose! 

I don’t have any problem with the King and Queen ( better not say Charles and Camilla lol!) visiting the ROH to see the ballet especially if staying to meet the dancers afterwards. 
It was all the secretiveness about the invited audience which I think was a bit unnecessary. 
Although a visit from the King and Queen might be some kudos for the ROH and very nice every so often I don’t actually think their visit will bring in any extra audience for the Ballet. 

But the invited audience may want to try again so that is a win win situation.

The King and Queen's attendance in an official capacity attracted a heck of a lot of publicity and I think it may have been mentioned at the end of one of the 10 o'clock news programmes.

• Like 4

I’m not so sure Janet! When tickets are entirely free for audience members especially when in very good seats I don’t think it will necessarily attract them to come back again when they have to pay!! 
It was a very nice gesture by the Patrons but I think for many will be seen as a lovely one off treat. 
Still you never know a few might suddenly get a liking for either the ballet or the ROH from this visit. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

Seriously, it was like witnessing videos I've seen of Beatles mania and was, quite frankly, really distracting and silly at times

The first time I saw the Beatles live was a wet Monday evening in our local dancehall ('ballroom') and we all sat at the edge of the low stage and listened. Love Me Do had just been released. They had THOSE suits on and looked as though they had slept in them.

The second time was at a bigger 'concert hall' venue and the moment they came on stage the screaming & hysteria began and didn't stop.  I was astonished. I wanted to listen to the music not scream and cry hysterically.

I understand this even less at a ballet performance.

• Like 2

There seemed to be a lot of young people (girls in particular) at the opening night with Nunez and Muntagirov, who seemed to be responsible for much of the (possibly excessive) excitement. Personally I didn’t mind it and both performers mentioned on their Instagram accounts how much they had appreciated the audience support. It carried out to the stage door when no one could get out due to the throngs of, again, mainly young girls, surging forward to get autographs/selfies with Marianela and Vadim.

I saw their last performance and the audience were very enthusiastic but without the hysteria from the first night.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I don’t actually think their visit will bring in any extra audience for the Ballet. 

Members of the royal family attend numerous sporting events and I see them in the meeja and think, 'OOOH football! If THOSE people go then I must do likewise!' Same with tennis.

Actually no I don't.  I carry on with my lifelong lack of interest in sport. (Confession, I did once attend a footie match at Wembley Stadium, the old one. The most tedious of afternoons. I wish I had taken a book.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DVDfan said:

Exactly.  My comment about the choice of cast was because it was an official occasion.  I have nothing against either Magri or Ball, I would hate anyone to think that.  But as someone mentioned Lynn Seymour, I am pretty certain that if a performance was being attended by the Queen as Head of State at that time, then Fonteyn and Nureyev would have been dancing, not matter who was originally scheduled to do so. 

@Tango Dancer It was not my intention to start a discussion about the monarchy, it is not relevant to this particular issue.  

Edited by Fonty

5 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I have no problem with enthusiastic audience members cheering at the end of a particularly wonderful solo - that's lovely. I love it when the audience claps when the principals first enter on stage and I have no problem what people verbalise during curtain calls (as long as it's polite!). It's when the performers just are on stage and the cheering and screaming go on all the time, as in the Nunez/Muntagirov performance I went to. Seriously, it was like witnessing videos I've seen of Beatles mania and was, quite frankly, really distracting and silly at times. It stopped the ballet for extended periods and ruined the flow of performance, at times, for me. I just ended of raising my eyebrows and thinking how silly and excessive it all was. I don't watch Britain's Got Talent, I have to say and gave up on Strictly some time ago, for various reasons, though it wasn't to do with filmed audiences 🤣

I think it is an unfair exaggeration to compare the audience reaction with Nunez/Muntagirov to Beatlemania or the sort of mindless (and orchestrated) cheering that takes place on some TV shows. I felt it to be spontaneous, and an unusual and rather surprising, but genuine, sign of appreciation for two wonderful dancers on dazzling form,  back on stage at the start of a new season. It certainly wasn't all the time, and if anything I thought it enhanced, rather than hindered, the flow of a cheerful ballet...and the dancers clearly enjoyed the enthusiasm and fed off it to a large extent.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 9

20 hours ago, Fonty said:

Warning This is possibly a controversial post but:

Why were Magri and Ball chosen as the leads for this very special occasion?  Surely the obvious choice would have been Nunez and Muntagirov? There must have been sufficient notice about this for a swap around of casts if necessary?  

I am not saying the principals performing last night were not capable.  But the other two are an extremely experienced and established paring.  They seem the obvious choice for a performance where an extra touch of nerves might have have been expected.  Not to mention wildly popular.   

I think the reason why Nunez and Muntigirov were held back from the royal performance was for the simple fact that then everybody in attendance would realise who the true king and queen of the ROH were and they would be the ones performing. The king surely couldn't have that.

* This is a joke, before anybody gets on me for disrespecting Mayara and Matthew, both of whom I greatly respect. I probably did mean the slight disrespect to Charles and Camilla though... 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I think the reason why Nunez and Muntigirov were held back from the royal performance was for the simple fact that then everybody in attendance would realise who the true king and queen of the ROH were and they would be the ones performing. The king surely couldn't have that.

* This is a joke, before anybody gets on me for disrespecting Mayara and Matthew, both of whom I greatly respect. I probably did mean the slight disrespect to Charles and Camilla though... 

Well you’ve made me laugh @emmarose

Thanks for that.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, emmarose said:

Yes facts 🤣 Also if Muntagirov and Nunez are the King and Queen of the ROH then Ball and Magri are the Prince and Princess, especially after Tuesday nights performance. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angela Essex said:

Yes facts 🤣 Also if Muntagirov and Nunez are the King and Queen of the ROH then Ball and Magri are the Prince and Princess, especially after Tuesday nights performance. 

I think we could be heading into choppy waters if this line of thinking is pursued!!!

Maybe best not to 'go there'.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, emmarose said:

King Charles is head of state of so many countries that I'm sure he would happily cede sovereignty of the ROH to Nunez and Muntagirov.

• Like 3

As an aside, re the cast for a cinema relay... Yes, Nunez does have a recording of her and Carlos, but it does feel like a great shame that her and Vadim have not been shown to the world in these roles together, because what they created together was nothing short of magical.

• Like 3

Just now, emmarose said:

As an aside, re the cast for a cinema relay... Yes, Nunez does have a recording of her and Carlos, but it does feel like a great shame that her and Vadim have not been shown to the world in these roles together, because what they created together was nothing short of magical.

Although they have been shown to the world in most of the other roles

• Like 2