There is a dvd of the Sadlers Wells Ballet performing the The Rake’s Progress and Checkmate filmed in 1982 starring Margaret Barbieri as the Black Queen.  David Bintley is cast as The Man with the Rope in the Rake’s Progress and the Red King in Checkmate.

A full cast list of the 1961 Rakes Progress can be found on the BFI website.  It would be wonderful if they released the full programme on dvd, along with some other Margaret Dale pieces.

https://www2.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b7b92a1ef

• Like 3

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

There is a dvd of the Sadlers Wells Ballet performing the The Rake’s Progress and Checkmate filmed in 1982 starring Margaret Barbieri as the Black Queen.  David Bintley is cast as The Man with the Rope in the Rake’s Progress and the Red King in Checkmate.

A full cast list of the 1961 Rakes Progress can be found on the BFI website.  It would be wonderful if they released the full programme on dvd, along with some other Margaret Dale pieces.

https://www2.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b7b92a1ef

Good to see Hogarth gets a credit 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the Friends to see if autumn casting would be announced in the Friends magazine due out in the next 2 weeks. I was told it wouldn't be announced then but would be in the Friends newsletter when it has been confirmed. I think I've said this before, but it only seems a few years ago since autumn casting was announced with the new season announcement.

I also asked about the Ashton stream (again!!!) and was just told to watch the new streaming information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I also asked about the Ashton stream (again!!!) and was just told to watch the new streaming information.

Fingers crossed they bring it out soon - I'll be furious if it just disappears into their archive never to be seen. Like the Cinema relay of Jewels that they did several years ago! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EVWS said:

Fingers crossed they bring it out soon - I'll be furious if it just disappears into their archive never to be seen. Like the Cinema relay of Jewels that they did several years ago! 

I think with Jewels they would have to pay the Balanchine Trust hefty royalties as they hold the rights, which might make it too expensive to stream or release on DVD, and not a good candidate for DVD sales, as two good DVDs of Jewels already exist (Paris Opera Ballet and Mariinsky Ballet). But of course, no such excuses regarding the Ashton. Hope it will be streamed,  broadcast on tv or released on DVD soon-preferably all three. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have just been watching a clip of the beautiful Ulyana Lopatkina rehearsing Nikiya from Bayadere…..reminding me of how much I miss seeing this ballet😥 
I do hope it’s on the agenda in the next couple of years! 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Blossom said:

Friends mag just arrived with pricing…

Have they included pricing for the Ashton triple yet?  Are stalls tickets for Don Q as expensive as they were for SB and Cinderella and am I forever to be stuck with Friday Rush tickets in the Amphitheatre? 😭

They won't publish the Ashton pricing till next year.

Don Q pricing is (no seat maps!):

Stalls: £150, £125, £104

SC far sides: £52, £36, £26, £14

SC: £150, £125, £104, £83, £67, £52, £36, £26

Grand Tier: £150

GT boxes: £150, £104, £67

Balcony: £125, £104, £83, £52, £26

Balcony boxes: £52

Slips: £26, £14

Amphi: £104, £83, £67, £52, £36, £26, £14

(Copied manually so there may be the odd error!)

• Thanks 5

37 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I see Nutcracker is a little higher (top price £160). But I didn't think the Don Q prices are as bad as I thought they would be.

50 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Is there no mention of SCS or Balcony Standing prices ? That's odd ..... 

13 minutes ago, annamk said:

Is there no mention of SCS or Balcony Standing prices ? That's odd ..... 

Judging by the amphi and slips pricing (which I'm familiar with the lower end of), £26 may be the price for SCS and balcony standing. We'll see.

Edited by Lizbie1
Misplaced word

I suppose Don Q being (slightly) cheaper than SB or Cinderella is (slightly) encouraging. I wonder why they give the prices for the far sides of the stalls circle when they're not available for at least 90% of productions. The only time they ever seem to be available is for Mozart operas. I don't think I've seen them available for any ballets since I started booking ballets in 2018.

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Judging by the amphi and slips pricing (which I'm familiar with the lower end of), £26 may be the standing price for SCS and balcony. We'll see.

surely not! I know we speak about scs being a great deal but it’s still a standing ticket and many are restricted view. I don’t think they’ve ever been more than £12? 

• Like 1

I emailed Kevin to congratulate him on the Ashton programme and Sarasota visit, and to ask if there was any chance of one each of the Sarasota programmes and, more importantly, the gala being performed on the main stage, but was told it was logistically too complicated so we'll just have to hope there are enough seats for everyone. 

• Like 6

On 11/05/2023 at 16:32, LinMM said:

Have just been watching a clip of the beautiful Ulyana Lopatkina rehearsing Nikiya from Bayadere…..reminding me of how much I miss seeing this ballet😥 
I do hope it’s on the agenda in the next couple of years! 

So do I….but I wouldn’t hold your breath. 😫

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I suppose Don Q being (slightly) cheaper than SB or Cinderella is (slightly) encouraging.

It may be cheaper for the higher priced tickets - eg top price amphitheatre reduced from £112 to £104.  However, assuming I'm reading the pricing correctly, the price of the side front amphitheatre seats has been increased rather than reduced. For Cinderella and Beauty the price was £34. For Don Q it's £36. The price of the better Upper Slips seats has increased from £22 to £26. i.e. they've reduced the top prices at the expense of the cheaper ones

Edited for clarity

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

It may be cheaper for the higher priced tickets - eg top price amphitheatre reduced from £112 to £104.  However, assuming I'm reading the pricing correctly, the price of the side front amphitheatre seats has been increased rather than reduced. For Cinderella and Beauty the price was £34. For Don Q it's £36. The price of the better Upper Slips seats has increased from £22 to £26. i.e. they've reduced the top prices at the expense of the cheaper ones

Edited for clarity

Agreed, and on the back of a longer trend for these tickets to have proportionately bigger increases, it is dispiriting. It also makes it easier to decide not to see something you were on the fence about.

I understand why it's happening though: higher priced tickets have been shifting more slowly recently, so I suppose they've decided they're at the limit of what people will pay.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Agreed, and on the back of a longer trend for these tickets to have proportionately bigger increases, it is dispiriting. It also makes it easier to decide not to see something you were on the fence about.

I understand why it's happening though: higher priced tickets have been shifting more slowly recently, so I suppose they've decided they're at the limit of what people will pay.

Unfortunately the 'lower' priced ones are also now at (or beyond) the limit of what some of us can pay. This season I will have been to about two-thirds of the number of performances I went to in the last pre-Covid season (and have still spent considerably more in so doing, which can't continue!).

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Unfortunately the 'lower' priced ones are also now at (or beyond) the limit of what some of us can pay. This season I will have been to about two-thirds of the number of performances I went to in the last pre-Covid season (and have still spent considerably more in so doing, which can't continue!).

But for the big shows at least, they're selling faster than the top priced tickets. We may not like the pricing strategy but it is rational.

Edited by Lizbie1

Guest oncnp

as for McGregor's MaddAddam, according to the Time's article in the links today that will be on Autumn '24

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

I was actually looking at the cheapest tickets at the sides of the stalls circle, which are the tickets I buy. For Don Q they're presumably £67, vs £70 for SB & Cinderella. I went on to refer to the far side of the stalls circle but it wasn't clear that my first sentence was also referring to the sides of the stalls circle.

51 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

But for the big shows at least, they're selling faster than the top priced tickets. We may not like the pricing strategy but it is rational.

I do wonder if it's long-term rational. Maximising income in the short term may be losing regular punters for the longer term. (And there's the usual caveat about accessibility, which only seems to be taken seriously in certain ways but not in terms of ticket prices.)

• Like 8

Guest oncnp
3 hours ago, bridiem said:

I do wonder if it's long-term rational. Maximising income in the short term may be losing regular punters for the longer term. (And there's the usual caveat about accessibility, which only seems to be taken seriously in certain ways but not in terms of ticket prices.)

but maximizing income in the short term may be ensuring that there is a long term. 

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

Actually, the outcome of the January to June 2023 sales shows that there might not even be any short term maximising. The sales are very quick to tell management where they got it wrong.

They are obviously quite confident that Don Q will pull in the crowds - I know it will for a few dancers (provided we don’t get any more new wars, pandemics, frequent strikes) but not for all casts - but if the pricing doesn’t drop significantly after Don Q and the March Swan Lakes, there will be a lot of empty sections (not just empty seats) for Anemoi/Cellist, Dante Project and Winter’s Tale.

From the list, it looks like the finance/management (both) have learnt lessons from the overdoing the price rises to the top seats this season, and have now decided to take the pitch forks to the middle range seat buyers  instead. My usual seating areas will be having a 20% price hike  in autumn 2023 since early 2022.  I think I might sit tight and wait for the inevitable discounting. 😉

Edited by Emeralds

In Feb 2020 "The Cellist", with the brilliant "Dances at a Gathering", was priced at £3 to £75.....now "The Cellist", with "Anemoi" (hardly comparable to DAAG IMO) is priced up to £110.

And is "The Dante Project" really worth a price hike from a range of £4 to £90 in Autumn 2021 to a range of £7 to £130 two years la ter? 😲 

Not likely  to be revisiting either of these bills at these prices....hopefully more Don Qs instead.

• Like 10