• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the glasses were 20p. In the 80s I was a young friend and could buy 5 amphi tickets for £1 each per booking period. But it was much much more affordable. Somewhere in there my coterie of amphi chums discovered a small pair of binoculars from - I think- Argos. We all got them! I still have them and they are brilliant even from R which is as far back as I will

go!

• Like 2

The Bank of England’s inflation calculator suggests that a good/service sold for £1.00 in September 1977 would cost £5.48 so @bridiem’s ‘equivalent’ ticket prices for £1.50, £2.50 and £3.50 would be £8.22, £13.70 and £19.18.

But that’s based very much on a fairly narrow measure of inflation (CPI). 

A broader measure (RPI) would give higher ‘equivalent’ ticket prices - £11.70, £19.50 and £23.30, still very significantly below today’s ticket prices.

The GDP deflator would give ‘equivalent’ prices falling between these two estimates - £10:38, £17:30 and £24.22.

What would be interesting to know is what the top ticket price was in 1977.

It’s also pertinent to ask what has happened to the level of Arts Council grant to the Royal Opera House since 1977?

In November 1997, the Culture Media and Sport Select Committee published a report which included a section on the Organisation and Funding of the Royal Opera House:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199798/cmselect/cmcumeds/199i/cu0102.htm

That report includes a fair amount of historical analysis of funding and there’s helpful supporting detail in Annex 3. Grant for the 1977-78 season (say the average of the financial years 1976-77 and 1977-78) was £4.575m. In today’s prices that would be £25.1m (using CPI), £35.7m (using RPI) or £31.7m (using the GDP deflator).

The Royal Opera House’s most recent cash grant is £22.3m.

But there’s a large caveat as the Select Committee’s report makes clear that the grant to the Royal Opera House also covered the Birmingham Royal Ballet, formerly the Sadler's Wells Ballet. And it excludes incentive funding - I don’t know if there’s any incentive funding in the £22.3m grant.

What’s probably more relevant for recent price increases is that the Royal Opera House has experienced a very significant real terms cut in grant in the last few years. In welcoming the £22.3m grant, Alex Beard reported in November 2022 that the grant equated to a real terms cut of £4.7m (19%) and came on top of what has been a 10% real terms cut since 2017-18.

Once pricing maps are published for the new season, I think it will be interesting to see what has happened to prices since 2017-18 and whether lower priced tickets (particularly for ballet) have seen disproportionate increases in prices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I know not ballet or the ROH but I saw this and it appears ticket prices everywhere are ramping up.

It's really sad that theatre going is being made so unaffordable for many.  Cine relays are brilliant value for money, all things considered! 

On 23/05/2023 at 18:50, Suffolkgal said:

I think the glasses were 20p. In the 80s I was a young friend and could buy 5 amphi tickets for £1 each per booking period. But it was much much more affordable. Somewhere in there my coterie of amphi chums discovered a small pair of binoculars from - I think- Argos. We all got them! I still have them and they are brilliant even from R which is as far back as I will

go!

I have some wonderful 'proper' opera glasses, which were rescued from being thrown out when a very elderly neighbour of my parents died, they must be well over 100 years old, genuine mini binoculars, and have a leather case.  I used to feel very grand using them, perhaps I should dig them out for cine relays along with a tiara?

(No I don't actually have a tiara, but I can dream.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I know not ballet or the ROH but I saw this and it appears ticket prices everywhere are ramping up.

Perhaps, but maybe the organisers are banking on a number of tickets having to be sold far cheaper via apps like TodayTix and the various "theatre week"-type schemes?

• Like 1

Yes, I'm sure they are hoping for a big hit and a long run, with organised party bookings and 'inclusive' weekend breaks.

(My idea of hell, but each to their own.)

3 minutes ago, alison said:

Perhaps, but maybe the organisers are banking on a number of tickets having to be sold far cheaper via apps like TodayTix and the various "theatre week"-type schemes?

On 15/05/2023 at 18:29, JNC said:

Given Balanchine has been woefully neglected over the past year (only three diamonds performances) and completely ignored next season, let’s hope for something in 24/25. Failing that if ENB and BRB could maybe pick up some more Balanchine rep…

Carlos Acosta on tonight's BRB Apollo rehearsal saying that if you're a classical ballet company you *have* to have Balanchine :)

• Like 5

Top price panto has exceeded these prices for years, always wonder who pays…

West End is getting much more expensive, especially where staging is using lots of new technology etc. However, with more shows and longer runs than ROH and tourism still somewhat impacted, I wait for the offers which tend to come and can always find reasonable stalls seats. Seeing Oaklahoma for £45 next week with an offer, reduced from £75, a 40% discount. Also snagged excellent stalls seats for at least 50% off for To Kill a Mockingbird. 
Savings fund my ROH habit…

• Like 5

Guest oncnp
47 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

Can anyone tell me when casting is likely to be announced for Nutcracker and Don Quixote? 

Last year's Autumn casting was announced about now, 27 May but things seem be late this year.  Certainly (hopefully?) before booking opens on 27 June

In the past, I've gotten it in the Friend's bi-weekly newsletter which is due tomorrow

Edited by oncnp

Seeing @oncnp's post above reminded me to check the booking dates for next season, which are:

General: 2 August 2023, 9am
Young ROH: 1 August 2023, 9am
Friends: 11 July 2023, 9am
Young Friends: 11 July 2023, 9am
Friends+: 6 July 2023, 9am
Supporting Friends: 4 July 2023, 9am
Premium 1 Friends: 28 June 2023, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 27 June 2023, 9am
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MissEmily said:

Can anyone tell me when casting is likely to be announced for Nutcracker and Don Quixote? 

13 hours ago, oncnp said:

Last year's Autumn casting was announced about now, 27 May but things seem be late this year.  Certainly (hopefully?) before booking opens on 27 June

This type of question, and answer, always makes me laugh, almost hysterically.

AusBallet opens its next Melbourne season on June 16, and has not yet made available any casting. God forbid they should announce Swan Lake casting (season opens 19 September) before, oh, about 6 September.

Next year's subscriptions will open in September this year, and we will as always be expected to book in complete ignorance of casting. On the one hand, yay we can discover dancers we may not have seen before, on the other hand, it can get extremely expensive booking multiple shows in order to hopefully get as many different casts as possible, or a favourite cast.

In my case I have also to factor in travel and overnight accommodation as a) it's a seven hour round trip by road and b) there is no possibility unless it's a matinée of making the round trip by train in one day - the last train leaves Melbourne at 8pm.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
36 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

AusBallet opens its next Melbourne season on June 16, and has not yet made available any casting. God forbid they should announce Swan Lake casting (season opens 19 September) before, oh, about 6 September.

Next year's subscriptions will open in September this year, and we will as always be expected to book in complete ignorance of casting. On the one hand, yay we can discover dancers we may not have seen before, on the other hand, it can get extremely expensive booking multiple shows in order to hopefully get as many different casts as possible, or a favourite cast.

In my case I have also to factor in travel and overnight accommodation as a) it's a seven hour round trip by road and b) there is no possibility unless it's a matinée of making the round trip by train in one day - the last train leaves Melbourne at 8pm.

Happy to be a source of amusement but for someone whose trips to the RB involve scheduling time off work, hotels and trans-Atlantic airfare the information is important. 

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

Heavens - that really is ballet planning on the edge of your seat! I live in Berlin, so the earlier I know about RB casting, the more relaxed I am. The funny thing is, the RB is now the only company I bother about casting. I tend to prioritise Osipova, and then I’ll try for Hayward. Otherwise I’ll go for dates rather than faces. With my adopted city of Berlin, I’ve deliberately remained unattached from casts. There’s a certain feeling of liberation and consequent relaxation! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, oncnp said:

Happy to be a source of amusement but for someone whose trips to the RB involve scheduling time off work, hotels and trans-Atlantic airfare the information is important. 

I didn't mean that I am amused by it, I meant that I would love to know AusBallet casting in advance - but given the timings to which we are subjected that I offered in my post, that's impossible and most likely never going to happen. The very idea of being given principal casting before booking even opens is, to me and other Australian ballet audience members, a fantasy (Queensland Ballet doesn't do it either), and frankly, Royal Ballet audiences are extraordinarily lucky in this regard. I should have used the word "despairingly" instead of "hysterically" maybe, to make my meaning more clear?

I've just returned to Australia from a European trip it took me six years to save for, during which I was privileged to be able to afford three trips to the ROH and two to the Opéra Bastille, and I don't really care that because of injuries I saw Amandine Albisson twice in Boléro, and Natalia Osipova and Hugo Marchand not at all, I'm just so happy to have had the opportunity to see the Royal and Paris Opéra companies live once more.

• Like 14

Mildly relevant, on the topic of increased prices - I just came across this in Richard Buckle's Ballet magazine in 1946, under the heading 'A Complaint':

Dear Sir,

From the prices at Covent Garden it would seem as if the Sadler's Wells Ballet has abdicated its position as the People's Ballet and that a class on a a different income level is now expected to support it: but in attempting to catch the "Upper Middles" it stands some risk of losing the "Lower Middles" who have stood by it so well.

We are all, of course, excited and pleased that the Company has stormed the West End ... but it seems we are to see them neither so freqently nor so close.

The provincials, the suburbanites, the shop- and office-girls... have been pushed off the end of the seat. These "regulars" who went once or more every week were the backbone of the audiences ... their loyalty and their money were surely of some use.

Now they are like poor relations... they can read of and enjoy [the company's] success [but] they can  no longer take a personal share in it - they must view their ballet from a dimmer distance or go less often.

Yours, etc.,

(I don't think Covent Garden replied!)

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

I haven't managed to spot any details of what dates the Friends rehearsals are for the 2023/24 season. They don't seem to be up on the ROH web site.  Can anyone point me to where these might be ? 

According to the Magazine:

Don Quixote 30 September 12.30pm

Anemoi/Cellist 20 October 12.30pm

Dante 17 November 11.30am

Nutcracker 5 December 11.30am

I can provide opera dates too if you like.

• Thanks 2

Guest oncnp
8 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

According to the Magazine:

Don Quixote 30 September 12.30pm

Anemoi/Cellist 20 October 12.30pm

Dante 17 November 11.30am

Nutcracker 5 December 11.30am

I can provide opera dates too if you like.

Thank you. Happy to see DonQ the afternoon of opening night so I can get another cast in

Guest oncnp
28 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I haven't booked a rehearsal for many years - does anyone know how much the tickets cost? I can't seem to find this info in the magazine or on the website.

The website has tickets for the triple bill at £ 8 and 3 (amphi and restricted standing). My ticket for Scènes mixed rehearsal last year was 24.00 which I think was top price 

Edited by oncnp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

According to the Friends newsletter there is an additional DonQ  on 7 Nov

Insights: The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal
Monday 18 September | 7.30–8.45pm | £11–£20 | Clore Studio 

Insights: The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal
Tuesday 21 November | 7.30–8.45pm | £11–£20 | Clore Studio  

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

The seat maps showing the prices for Autumn productions are now on the ROH website but, currently, there's a fault with the Don Q pages.  Let's hope they fix it soon.

Thank you!  I just e-mailed them morning asking where they were

And Nutcracker is only showing 9 December at the moment so they must still be working on it

Edited by oncnp

4 hours ago, Bluebird said:

The seat maps showing the prices for Autumn productions are now on the ROH website but, currently, there's a fault with the Don Q pages.  Let's hope they fix it soon.

Not only have they not fixed the Don Q pages, they've now removed the seat maps from the other productions.  It's presumably still a work in progress.