General: 2 August 2023, 9am
Young ROH: 1 August 2023, 9am
Friends: 11 July 2023, 9am
Young Friends: 11 July 2023, 9am
Friends+: 6 July 2023, 9am
Supporting Friends: 4 July 2023, 9am
Premium 1 Friends: 28 June 2023, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 27 June 2023, 9am

Seems like they granted our requests for Les Rendezvous- thank you Mr O’Hare. 😊I had hoped for The Winter’s Tale too but wasn’t sure if they thought it was too risky at the box office (nonetheless I think it will sell). Maybe someone at RB is actually glancing at our wishes, if not actually reading the forum word for word. 😉 Anyway, I think there are some great choices in the programming, including the non-main stage productions and other events. Worth the wait. 👍

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6

Really delighted by the Ashton and MacMillan bills (I greatly disliked Different Drummer, but thrilled about Requiem and Danses Concertantes, so at least that's two out of three, and who knows maybe I'll see DD differently this time round...). And when someone said on the other thread that Sarasota Ballet were guesting I thought they were teasing!! Really pleased about that. Would like to see Anemoi again but not The Cellist, so not sure about that bill...

Less delighted by the full lengths, though Manon and Nutcracker are not unexpected and are welcome (to me). A little DQ goes a long way (for me), I think it's too soon to revive Dante Project, I can't rejoice about a Swan Lake with this ending, and The Winter's Tale is attractive but I wouldn't book for multiple performances. So may be a less expensive season than I was anticipating...

• Like 6

Guest oncnp

As the press release is proving problematic - Main stage - Cliff notes version

DON QUIXOTE                                    30 SEPTEMBER–17 NOVEMBER 2023

ANEMOI / THE CELLIST                    20 OCTOBER–2 NOVEMBER 2023

THE DANTE PROJECT                        18 NOVEMBER–2 DECEMBER 2023

THE NUTCRACKER                             6 DECEMBER 2023–13 JANUARY 2024

MANON                                               17 JANUARY–8 MARCH 2024

SWAN LAKE                                         6 MARCH–28 JUNE 2024

DANSES CONCERTANTES / DIFFERENT DRUMMER / REQUIEM

20 MARCH–13 APRIL 2024

THE WINTER'S TALE                           3 MAY–1 JUNE 2024

LES RENDEZVOUS / THE DREAM / RHAPSODY

6 –19 JUNE 2024

THE DREAM / SHORT WORKS / RHAPSODY 

7-–22 JUNE 2024

Edited by oncnp

Just to say I’m looking forward to the Sea of Troubles film (Linbury Theatre) because I couldn’t get to it during the MacMillan celebration in 2017. Romany Pajdak (someone I know many members have been waiting to see again) is in it, as is Oxana Panchenko, a favourite of mine back when she worked a lot with Michael Nunn and William Trevitt in their BalletBoyz productions. I’d also love to see Yorke Dance Project return to perform it again with a few RB dancers like they did last time. 

• Like 1

Here’s my thoughts: Glad to see Manon and Don Q, Not surprised but not disappointed by Swan Lake and The Nutcracker. Winters tale also sounds great. I’m pretty disappointed by The Dante Project and am surprised not to see Maddaddam. The Bills are interesting so here’s my ranking for all of the individual works:

Happy to see: Les Rendezvous, The Cellist, 

Sure: The Dream, Rhapsody, Anemoi, Requiem 

Wish was something else: Danses concertanes, Different Drummer

• Like 1

I’ll gladly see DQ and Manon again. The MacMillan and Ashton mixed bills look very exciting!

Opera-wise, lots I’m interested in - need to read over it again. Yes, this announcement was definitely worth the wait.

• Like 1

All in all a very satisfactory programme imho. I'd forgotten that Anemoi had a Rachmaninov score so really pleased to see that return as part of the 150th celebrations along with The Cellist which I'm also looking forward to seeing again. Slightly odd that the Rachmaninov work I thought would be there, Rhapsody is in the programme but not until next year! Always pleased to see Manon and there are two more Macmillan works there I'm really looking forward to seeing for the first time. My only disappointment is the lack of Balanchine and Robbins, as others have said.

It's not ballet connected, but I'm really pleased to see the  Fallen Angels Dance Theatre given their debut in the Linbury. They're the resident company at Storyhouse, my local theatre here in Chester, and fully deserve this opportunity. The work they and Paul Bayes Kircher did on developing the movement for the recent production of Chris Bush's play Faustus That Damned Woman was remarkable.

• Like 4

Very happy with the Ashton programmes, and especially Sarasota's visit.  With the MacMillan triple I would replace Different Drummer with Gloria (although it's probably too depressing to have that with Requiem!), but happy to see the other two ballets again.

I wasn't crazy about The Cellist but liked Anemoi very much so will give it another go.

Will probably skip Dante as I liked Act 1 but then it was downhill from there.   The other full length ballets are oh-so-predictable, but I understand they need to present bums-on-seats stuff.   Glad to see Winter's Tale back.

Disappointed that yet again we get Nutcracker at Christmas.  Yes, it makes money so I understand why they are showing it, but for me as an enthusiast there are so many other ballets that could be put on, or at least alternated with Nut.  Oh well.

Very disappointed that yet again Fille is not being done, nor Bayadere, nor Sylvia, nor Onegin.

Happy that the season is starting with DonQ....I will see that and then save my money until the last third of the season.  I hope with what I save that I can take a trip or two to the Continent to see other companies.    

• Like 19

Hugely long runs of Swan Lake and Nutcracker are never good news but bring in the cash.  Dante Project? Oh please - shut your eyes and listen to the score.  Anemoi / The Cellist, possibly the weirdest pairing imaginable - dull, dull, dull.  Hurrah for the MacMillan triple - at last a chance to see his variety in three very interesting, stylistically and musically different works plus Manon - excellent.  Winter’s Tale…if you like that sort of thing. Don Q - it just doesn’t suit the company.  The Ashtons - well, thank you, thank you, especially that Sarasota are coming and doing many of those fascinating pieces the Royal and certainly BRB have no interest in.  I could have done with something other than The Dream and Rhapsody from the RB, like Symphonic Variations, but at least June will be a treat and we have a whole year to save up.

No Nijinska?  An absolute disgrace.

Interesting stuff in the Linbury, which is fast outstripping the Wells in terms of putting on good non-mainstream dance.

• Like 11

Looking forward to the Ashton mix and very pleased  about the inclusion of The Dream, suitably in the Summer.

Shame there is no Fille back yet though.

I would have swapped  The Winter's Tale to November/December and push back The Dante Project (if it has to return again) to next Summer.

But opening with Don Q brings a lovely,  joyful start to the season  for a change.

• Like 8

I'm pretty happy.  I didn't like Dante Project but maybe I'll give it another chance - once!  I love Don Q and Manon (and, in truth, Swan Lake too) and am delighted with the triple bills.  Even Nutcracker is one I always want to see near Xmas because of the nostalgia.  So, I am a little sad not to get a Fille but otherwise I think it's a lovely, quite balanced schedule offering the inevitable big office draws (which also offer the great classical challenges to dancers), with a good nod to the English choreographers and newer works.

• Like 7

"I wasn't crazy about The Cellist but liked Anemoi very much so will give it another go."

Same. Thought The Cellist was curate's egg, Anemoi will give the younger dancers chances to shine hopefully, it was made on and for those. 

Nutcracker pulls 'em in at cinemas year on year. Christmas isn't Christmas without it. The year the RB did Alice instead was awful. In future it could be a Cinderella revival which would be OK.  I suspect many a small White Lodger looks forward to Nutcracker though.

• Like 3

I'm very happy overall - lots of things I haven't seen before (much more than I expected!) and the return of many favourites - some of which I've only seen one cast in before. Of the latter I'm particularly glad about Don Quixote, Winters Tale and Dante Project. And it's always nice to see different casts in Manon, Nutcracker and Swan Lake too 😊 

• Like 3

I will see 1 or 2 casts in Don Q - I would see more if the Acosta production didn't infuriate me. 

Manon and Swan Lake are never unwelcome!

Pleased about Anemoi, less so about the Cellist. 

I like the Dream triple bills, but wish we could have something instead of Rhapsody, which as much as I love it, we saw recently. 

I will probably see Dante again (intrigued by another dancer in the Watson role) but will give Winter's Tale a pass. 

• Like 4

In terms of works being performed, I'm only interested in the Ashton and MacMillan mixed bills, which are very welcome - though I would have preferred Symphonic Variations or another neglected Ashton to Rhapsody. The Sarasota programmes (the press release says there will be two) are a huge bonus.

The full lengths are either not my cup of tea (Winter's Tale, Dante) or all about the casting.

As the opera season is no great shakes IMO - Elektra the only dead cert - I might be letting my Friends membership lapse until Spring or Summer booking. This isn't an expression of anger or disappointment, just that I don't expect I'll be getting any value out of it until then.

• Like 3

@Emeralds I did reply in the other thread, but thought I'd reply here too as it's been closed now.

I already have my Jewels tickets and I'm very much looking forward to it! I missed Rubies and Emeralds very much during the Diamond Celebration. I couldn't say no to it!

I'm also planning on ENB's Balanchine too, I was very excited when they announced it. 

Edited by emmarose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Just remembered - I had thought that MADDADDAM was inevitable, but it's not there! Not complaining, you understand...

At least it would have been new though! Unlike Dante which wasn’t bad but definitely too soon. Did it sell particular well for such a soon revival?

• Like 1

I see I’ll be spending a lot on Fumi Kaneko in this coming year … outstanding in Don Q, Swan Lake, Winters Tale, Dante and no doubt Manon too.  

I hope Lauren Cuthbertson will be back for Winter’s Tale.  But who will play Leontes asides from Ryo Hirano.  I may be wrong … is he the only dancer not retired to have performed it?  William Bracewell?  Vadim?  Matthew Ball? Calvin?  Steven McRae?  I can’t wait to hear!

• Like 8

Overall feels like a bumper crop compared to the last couple of years!

THRILLED with the Ashton and MacMillan mixed bills (especially to see The Dream again as well as some pieces new to me)- but such a long wait!

I just hope that this provides the time to get the information/education pieces out to entice audiences and really build interest in the choreographers, particularly Ashton, who I feel is becoming increasingly overlooked by broader audiences as his works aren't 'the classics' but equally much of his genius is pure classical, not contemporary. My biggest wish is that there were more dates!

In terms of full lengths, I am generally happy with the mix of classics and newer ballets - it's hard not to be as the programming is back to full form. I just wish Winter's Tale had a more pleasant score. Thinking of Autumn specifically, Don Q is such a lovely sunshine ballet and hope Cesar Corrales is back on form to see a Magri/Corrales partnership! Would also love to see Fumi as Kitri. Will probably see Dante again - will be interesting to see the casting there, but also how The Cellist is cast.

• Like 11

My thoughts are mixed, and I’ll admit a but disappointed. Overall I think I’m pleased with the mixed bills, but less keen on the full length selection and feel some notable misses.

The good

Not one but two Ashton bills! I won’t moan too much given but why does Rhapsody have to feature in both - I love it but more diversity so I’m not repeating rhapsody would have been appreciated. Is the second mixed bill all Sarasota ballet or only for one act? I also agree Rhapsody was done quite soon so it would have been fine not to do it at all, but once also, but twice feels. A little uninspired…

A mixed MacMillan bill, finally! I don’t know enough about the individual works to comment but at least it’s nothing I’ve seen before. But only 6 performances and no weekend matinee which is a pain for non Londoners.

Neutral

I’m putting this category for things I’m not personally keen on but I can respect their programming and think they are good choices.

Don Quixote 

I don’t love this ballet but we’ve not seen it for a while and I appreciate it’s a more classical work. I will still go and see some performances if I can as would love to see Osipova and maybe Kaenko and Naghdi in this. 

Winter’s Tale 

Never seen it before and feels fair this gets a revival. Having said that not sure it’s my bag but would like to give it a go once depending on cast/pricing. (Has this been revived more recently than than Sylvia / La Fille though…?)

Mixed 

Manon

I still think we shouldn’t be obliged this every other year but having said that I’m keen to see Hayward and Kaneko (with Bracewell!) in this role and it is my favourite of the big MacMillan three.

Anemoi/Cellist

To me it feels too soon for these to return, I’d rather have seen a McGregor mixed bill (Infra/Chroma) or a neoclassical (Robbins/Balanchine/Forsythe) etc. I guess they have won awards recently so that’s why they’ve been included and maybe they’ll sell well? Personally I’ll miss this I think. 

Nutcracker

Not surprised it’s on again at Christmas but please not next year. But a guaranteed money bank is fair enough.

Swan Lake 

Ditto Nutcracker. Can’t even get excited about new casts as think they did all the principals last time round. Don’t even want to think about the prices anyway so I’m unlikely to attend unless there’s a cast I felt I did miss last time, and would only go once. 

Bad

Dante Project

Far too soon to return I think, I’m surprised not to see Maddaddam given the Canadian premiere and at least that would have been new/justifiable. I don’t dislike Dante but I am not interested in seeing it again so soon (would have been more tempted next year or year after) 

Missing

Balanchine or Forsythe, Robbins 

A full length Ashton

Bayadere! 

Overall not a terrible mix but personally it doesn’t really do it for me. There’s only two-three programmes I’m actually really interested in seeing (Ashton/MacMillan bills), one of which has no weekend matinees so there’s an additional complication. In addition there’s 2-3 programmes I would like to see and book for, and swan lake as a potential. So not bad going considering I will have seen 6 programmes this year. It could have been a lot worse and I appreciate some different choices but it doesn’t spark joy, and think I’ll be cancelling my membership to save some cash! 

Put it this way, I was much more excited by ENB’s more limited programming which felt it had a good mix of things across classical/contemporary and old/new. As others have said at least I’ll save some cash!

Edited by JNC
Tried to change font size but can’t figure out on my phone, sorry for large text!
  • Like 9

Overall I'm quite happy with next season's offerings, there'll always be pieces included I have no interest in.  For example, I'll happily skip The Dante Project, and I hope that Anemoi/The Cellist remains in that order so that I can have early-ish nights by leaving after Anemoi.

I feel for the RB Corps ladies with 30-something Swan Lakes, another tour de force for them.

Now, I'm eager to find out the ticket pricing structure for the 23/24 season (especially after those recent surveys).

• Like 7