Royal Ballet Cinderella March/April 2023

30 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

So lovely to meet you @Scheherezade and what an exquisite performance we’ve both just had the privilege of seeing 

Jenny, it was lovely to meet you too and hope to see you again soon. 

Tonight’s performance was indeed exquisite, and it feels way too soon for Laura to be retiring. She took Cinderella to another level, wonderfully supported by Matthew, and I thought the step-sisters played it to perfection, too. 

• Like 5

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Romeo and Juliet is more harsh and emotional. Cinderella, still harsh is more magical and mysterious. 

Not sure that I’d call R&J harsh, Benjamin, but I do agree that Cinderella is magical and mysterious. And I’m now totally hooked on that magic and mystery. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Not sure that I’d call R&J harsh, Benjamin, but I do agree that Cinderella is magical and mysterious. And I’m now totally hooked on that magic and mystery. 

I don’t know if harsh is the right word but I don’t know what else I’d use.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Laura tonight - such understated artistry, such great projection of character!  Ashton himself would have adored her, I am sure. Was also pleased to see Mayara Magri as the Fairy Godmother - she replaced Gina Storm-Jensen, whom I do hope isn't injured.

Questions that came to mind: so was Cinderella's father twice widowed?  Once is unfortunate, but...  And why do they store things such as scarves, and a stool, right inside the lit fireplace?

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Really enjoyed Laura tonight - such understated artistry, such great projection of character!  Ashton himself would have adored her, I am sure. Was also pleased to see Mayara Magri as the Fairy Godmother - she replaced Gina Storm-Jensen, whom I do hope isn't injured.

My thoughts exactly, maryrosesatonapin. And isn’t Mayara Magri a very special Fairy Godmother? She brings that “FG is here and all’s well with the world” feeling. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I don’t know the details of the family days but believe they include interaction with dancers, workshops and backstage technicians.

I do know that past Open House weekends have included free backstage tours so yes these are available to all.

Social media accounts regularly have postings of proud parents and their children backstage after performances having been invited by dancers so Charlotte’s visit isn’t unique.

It’ would be wrong to assume that this visit was a big freebie. The Royal and all other boxes can be booked by anyone as was perhaps the case on this occasion?

Yes, anyone can book the Royal Box, I believe.  However, it is probably the most expensive box in the building.  I sat in it once when I was on a school trip.  The view is not very good, but you do have the luxury of your own private toilet.  :)

@Scheherezade @JennyTaylor Sorry I missed you.  I didn't see your message until I was on the train on the way home.  However, I did bump into someone I did ballet classes with about 20 years ago, so we had a lovely catch up.  

A wonderful performance last night.  I was overjoyed to catch Morera in which will be her last performance for me.  She was as terrific as I knew she would be.  I think she had a tear in her eye when she came to take her final curtain calls, and it seems tragic that she is retiring when she is still one of the best (imo).  The rest of the cast seemed in great form.  The whole company look as though they have got to grips with the choreography, and are starting to dance it in a way that makes it look as though they are more at ease with it.  A shame that they probably won't dance another full length Ashton ballet for at least another year, but at least we have to triple bill to look forward to.

This is the third time I have seen it, but the first time I have seen the scenery in all its glory.  It certainly makes a difference when you can see the entire stage, and now I can see what everyone was talking about.  I still don't like the lights blinding the audience right at the start; I felt that could be dropped.  Other than that, it was fine.  The scenery for the second act doesn't seem as obtrusive when viewed straight on from centre stalls.  And I finally saw the clock rise up.....!

Certain things still niggle.  Like others, I don't care for the fairy costumes in Act 1; too many bits and pieces on them, other than Winter, which has been paired back and I felt was lovely.  I could ignore the attendants in their hilarious costumes (I still haven't the faintest idea what one of the Summer ones is supposed to be).   No offence to anyone who may have a child taking part, but I think it is a mistake to have such young children involved, no matter how well drilled they are.  I noticed this particularly when the one carrying the oranges in act 2 was doing the same steps as the adults; it felt out of place as this is not a local school performance in front of doting parents.  I think they should be replaced with the older students they used to have in the past, who can obviously bring a certain dignity to the proceedings. 

Other than that, I suppose I have got used to everything else, and although the half strip leggings for the Prince's friends still look a bit odd, I didn't really notice them any more. Judging by the number of small children in the audience, this is clearly one that appeals to families, which is as it should be.    I would be very happy to see this production again in the hopefully not too distant future. 

• Like 13

Another lovely Cinderella from Akane Takada with some exquisite dancing, particularly in Act 3, if to me not quite as convincing as last Saturday - some uncertainty in holding the end of the Ball solo and I thought not quite as at ease in Act 1. Itzia Mendizabel was an ideal Fairy Godmother. I didn’t find the cast came together as well as others where we’ve had some very special performances. The performance was very well received, an enthusiastic audience, and great cheers for Akane Takada. Great to see her back on stage and I’m very much looking forward to her Sleeping Beauty with James Hay (trains permitting).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I notice that the role of Winter Fairy is usually given to a taller dancer - Beryl Grey, Zenaida Yanowsky, Gina Storm-Jensen, Hannah Grennell.  However, I didn't notice anything in the choreography that particular utilises height.  Have I missed something?  

This does explain the line-up in Act II of Spring, Summer, Winter, Autumn.  Often in line-ups of dancers, the taller dancers are put in the middle with the shorter dancers at the ends.  

15 minutes ago, Henry said:

I notice that the role of Winter Fairy is usually given to a taller dancer - Beryl Grey, Zenaida Yanowsky, Gina Storm-Jensen, Hannah Grennell.  However, I didn't notice anything in the choreography that particular utilises height.  Have I missed something?  

This does explain the line-up in Act II of Spring, Summer, Winter, Autumn.  Often in line-ups of dancers, the taller dancers are put in the middle with the shorter dancers at the ends.  

perhaps it is to contrast against the generally smaller (faster?) dancers that dance Spring and Autumn with their energetic 'bursting' out of steps, with Winter being more still, and languid

• Like 2

Mayara Magri was Fairy Winter in the cine broadcast, don't think she's particularly tall?

The fairy costumes actually looked quite lovely when you saw them close to, far more transparent than from a distance if that makes any sense, yes I thought The Fairy Winter one was the most beautiful. The detail tends to get lost seen from afar.  And there lies a problem with stage costumes of course.

• Like 2

A fabulous evening yesterday with Laura Morera bringing the curtain down on her full length ballet performances. I’d been blown away by her debut, only last Saturday, but last night was even better. The richness of character was spell binding and I was so delighted she held the end of her Ball solo and managed that change of balance in Act 3 with such aplomb. Matthew Ball was the perfect Prince, completely smitten on first seeing his Cinderella and so attentive in his partnering. A great shame that Laura was injured in the Mayerling run and we only saw their Rudolf/Mary Vetsera performance the once. Mayara Magri was a wonderful Fairy Godmother. I’ve very much enjoyed seeing Calvin Richardson and James Hay as the Step Sisters - Calvin certainly has an edge which makes for a more complex character, not a stock pantomime dame, and James scrupulously avoids any suggestion that his step sister is half witted. And with Laura’s dancing coming to a close, how wonderful to see Daichi Ikarashi’s Jester, at the start of his career. It was very much a Royal Ballet complete performance with the Fairies and all the dancers playing their full part. A fabulous performance and so fitting for Laura.

It was very good to be in Floral Street by the stage door where there was a real buzz with thanks to a number of Royal Ballet School students. Very pleased to chat to all the main dancers who were clearly thrilled to have played their part in this special evening. Laura too was delighted yet still looks for learning points suggesting she’d prematurely switched off the candle. A true artist in her quest for perfection which I’m sure for many audience members and certainly for me she’s touched in a number of performances over the years, including last night’s Cinderella.

• Like 26

1 hour ago, Henry said:

I was talking only about the Winter Fairy.  Sorry not to make this clearer. I think Isabel McKeekan was the Fairy Godmother and Laura Morera the Autumn Fairy.   

You did make it very clear.

I would say more about yesterday's matinee but, to put it mildly, my last minute ticket had a somewhat restricted view. [Actually, I was able to stand alongside the seat and get a reasonably decent view of the stage, which I did for most of Act 2 - and I saw Cinderella's entrance down the steps.]

I thought that Akane danced beautifully, but maybe without the 'projection' we have had from other Cinderellas, and that Nicol was a suitably noble Prince who not only danced well but offered his partner good support.

IMG_5024 (002).JPG

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Henry said:

I was talking only about the Winter Fairy.  Sorry not to make this clearer. I think Isabel McKeekan was the Fairy Godmother and Laura Morera the Autumn Fairy.   

Sorry, I misunderstood.

27 minutes ago, capybara said:

I would say more about yesterday's matinee but, to put it mildly, my last minute ticket had a somewhat restricted view. [Actually, I was able to stand alongside the seat and get a reasonably decent view of the stage, which I did for most of Act 2 - and I saw Cinderella's entrance down the steps.]

I thought that Akane danced beautifully, but maybe without the 'projection' we have had from other Cinderellas, and that Nicol was a suitably noble Prince who not only danced well but offered his partner good support.

IMG_5024 (002).JPG

Can you tell us your seat number, so it can be avoided by all in future please?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

The performance was very well received, an enthusiastic audience, and great cheers for Akane Takada. Great to see her back on stage and I’m very much looking forward to her Sleeping Beauty with James Hay (trains permitting).

Thanks @JohnS....couldn't make this performance but I have heard some great feedback. She again  appeared visibly moved in some curtain call pictures I've seen...she must be so pleased to be back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Were you in C91? I tried out its opposite number C22 for a Swan Lake last season & decided that even though it's significantly cheaper than the rest of the seats in that area the view is so bad that it's not worth the saving.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Can you tell us your seat number, so it can be avoided by all in future please?

Stalls Circle C91 😂 Price for Cinderella £34 😱

The man in the photo did sit up straight but that actually made things worse. The other hazard is that people sitting in Row C nearer the stage lean forward and blot out the other side of the pillar too!

But, as I mentioned, it is possible to stand alongside that seat without blocking anyone else and to get a good view of most of the stage.

(The person in seat C90 - nowhere near as bad - mentioned C22 to me as the one to avoid on the left of the auditorium.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This article in Hello caught my eye. Apparently the Princess of Wales and Princes Charlotte were allegedly at Cinderella yesterday evening though some audience footage posted on Instagram at the end of the article suggests it was possibly Takada's matinee judging by the curtain call. It was so fleeting it was difficult to see but it didn't look like Laura. The Instagram footage continues with several excited small children actually on the ROH stage, playing with the fairies illuminated wands. Apparently Princess Charlotte is very keen on ballet. A future supporter, perhaps?

Mods, please remove the link if it is not applicable.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/healthandbeauty/mother-and-baby/491485/princess-charlotte-birthday-treat-ballet-royal-opera-house/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, capybara said:

Stalls Circle C91 😂 Price for Cinderella £34 😱

The man in the photo did sit up straight but that actually made things worse. The other hazard is that people sitting in Row C nearer the stage lean forward and blot out the other side of the pillar too!

But, as I mentioned, it is possible to stand alongside that seat without blocking anyone else and to get a good view of most of the stage.

(The person in seat C90 - nowhere near as bad - mentioned C22 to me as the one to avoid on the left of the auditorium.)

Its very odd how ROH price some of their restricted seats. I was looking the other day at the unsold restricted balcony seats for something or other; some had very minor restrictions such as a tiny corner of the stage being blocked by the front of the balcony screen but others had a column or the protective rail right in the middle of the view - all seats regardless of restrictions were £112.

Stalls circle C76 isn't too bad, nor C71 or C42. If its a good seat, I try and sit there again in the future. I had sat in B34/B45 so often in the GT, I ought to have my name on it.

Edited by MJW
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Apparently the Princess of Wales and Princes Charlotte were allegedly at Cinderella yesterday evening though some audience footage posted on Instagram at the end of the article suggests it was possibly Takada's matinee judging by the curtain call.

It is definitely Akane in the  footage and Nicol can also be seen briefly. Also the timing of the Twitter post tends to rule out the evening performance. Takada, with Sambe, also danced as Titania and Oberon at the (then) Prince Charles' 70th birthday gala at Buckingham Palace in 2018 so perhaps she is a Royal favourite! Fine by me...😊

• Like 4

We had a little discussion about the Royal visit earlier but mods removed some of it (wisely all things considered).

However @Fonty gave the information (still there) if you book the Royal Box, though not the best view,  you get a private 'throne'.  No need to worry about the queue for the loo!

• Like 1