Royal Ballet Cinderella March/April 2023

14 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Which step sister jokes do you think have stood the test of time and which need to be left out of the next run?

For the chop......virtually every 'standing on the other's foot' moment.

The pearl twirl was also done in previous versions.

In fact much of the 'business' was also done by Ashton & Helpmann.  It's part of the choreography. However, I recall Ashton doing his 'solo' at the ball as a parody of all and any ballerina's solo which he was fond of doing off stage too, and the bad dancing of it was part of the fun,  also that leap by the Helpmann character used to be a fishdive?

The difference these days I feel is Ashton & Helpmann were part of the old panto dame tradition, today it seems to be more about drag (as in many pantos now also).

I've not seen all the casts and the changes, I suppose eventually interpretations are settling down.

I'm still unsure why vests are on show.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Junker evidently isn't the dancer I thought was him, as I thought he was fairly tall but he evidently isn't if he's playing Napoleon. Has anyone got any curtain call photos of him?

I think he is of a height that is sort of neither very tall nor very short but if he gets paired with a taller dancer in the roles of the  Suitors it should work, I expect. Unfortunately he wasn’t dancing as a suitor at the performances  I attended, but I think I spotted him in some of the rehearsal photos that were either published by the Guardian or ROH (there were loads-unfortunately I don’t have them to hand), where he was dressed in practice clothes, miming the famous pose with his right hand....I’m 98% certain it’s him....! He danced a lovely solo in the Kyle Abraham ballet, Weathering, in the  triple bill last season but you would have had to catch the second cast to able to see him.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

On 03/05/2023 at 09:40, Ondine said:

Back to the Royal Box again! 

You can tour that loo and other gems as part of the Coronation celebrations.

Sad to say, if the Princess of Wales, family and friends were given the Royal Box it’s not the best view for Cinderella Act 1 because you can’t see the fireplace and the mother’s portrait that well. If you know the ballet very well and are just there to see the dances or your favourite dancers it probably doesn’t matter too much, but of course the children would be too young to have seen previous runs of the ballet. I would have recommended a box on the other side instead or as near the centre as possible, but I guess they sit in the Royal Box mainly for security reasons (bodyguards, escape/access routes, etc). See, being Royal can’t get you everything! Still, it’s better than some of the more cramped seats in Upper Slips or parts of the Amphitheatre. They’ll just have to come back another time! 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Which step sister jokes do you think have stood the test of time and which need to be left out of the next run?

For the chop......virtually every 'standing on the other's foot' moment.

They bump into each other rather too often...

1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

They bump into each other rather too often...

They do....they only need the one they do when big sister is calling out to timid sister in act 1

I really enjoyed the final performance last night ( @nogoat, a shame to have missed you).  So, after 10 performances, I have to say that I finished off the run liking this ballet and its music much more than when it started a month ago.  I was able to see all the casts except the Lamb/McRae one, and I enjoyed all of them.  Each Cinderella had something beautiful to give, and I received it with happiness from each of them.  I was also interested to see how interpretations are already changing (most obviously with the sisters), and how lovely the fairy godmothers all were.  I am also pleased that comments from the audience have already been listened to and tweaks made.  

I know that others haven't liked the costumes or the projections, but I don't object to either.  I found the previous production (dare I say it) quite staid, and this new one really brightens it up and makes it exciting. I don't even mind the pumpkin transformation...although they do need to work on the FG change!  

So for me, this has been an entirely successful new production which I wouldn't hesitate to go and see again next time, hopefully with Mayara Magri and Anna-Rose O'Sullivan given their chance at the lead role.  Bravo to all the casts, producers, stagers and crews....and not forgetting the orchestra under the batons of Koen Kessels and Jonathan Lo.  :)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sim said:

I really enjoyed the final performance last night ( @nogoat, a shame to have missed you).  So, after 10 performances, I have to say that I finished off the run liking this ballet and its music much more than when it started a month ago.  I was able to see all the casts except the Lamb/McRae one, and I enjoyed all of them.  Each Cinderella had something beautiful to give, and I received it with happiness from each of them.  I was also interested to see how interpretations are already changing (most obviously with the sisters), and how lovely the fairy godmothers all were.  I am also pleased that comments from the audience have already been listened to and tweaks made.  

I know that others haven't liked the costumes or the projections, but I don't object to either.  I found the previous production (dare I say it) quite staid, and this new one really brightens it up and makes it exciting. I don't even mind the pumpkin transformation...although they do need to work on the FG change!  

So for me, this has been an entirely successful new production which I wouldn't hesitate to go and see again next time, hopefully with Mayara Magri and Anna-Rose O'Sullivan given their chance at the lead role.  Bravo to all the casts, producers, stagers and crews....and not forgetting the orchestra under the batons of Koen Kessels and Jonathan Lo.  :)

I would definitely see it again, too! I ended up loving the performance I saw and was quite emotionally affected by it (in a good way!). I liked the costumes well enough (not my favourites necessarily though I did love Cinderella's ball ensemble and Act III costume). I am so envious that you saw 10 performances - how wonderful.

Do you have a favourite performance and Cinderella, or did you enjoy them all equally? I think it's so interesting to compare different interpretations and I am certain there are wonderful moments in all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

Do you have a favourite performance and Cinderella, or did you enjoy them all equally? I think it's so interesting to compare different interpretations and I am certain there are wonderful moments in all.

I was thinking long and hard about this before I posted...but I just can't think of any that I can say is the favourite as I really did love them all.  I mean, I could compare Akane Takada's gossamer, ethereal delicacy and lightness of being with Natalia Osipova's earthy force of nature, but both worked equally well for me.  Fumi Kaneko and Yasmine Naghdi had beautiful technique and both really imbued the character with, well, character.  Frankie Hayward was a sweet girl who you felt deserved all the good things that came to her. Laura Morera gave an intelligent and finely nuanced performance, comprising many small details that made a difference.  Marianela danced the steps very well and smiled sweetly; for me that performance was more for seeing the choreography than for the depth of character, but equally valid when it comes to Ashton.    

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

My bias says the Yasmine Naghdi performance was my favourite.

Time for a 'dream team' casting (my dream that is)

Cinders - Yasmine Naghdi
Prince - William Bracewell
Fairy Godmother - Itziar Mendizabal
Sisters - Christina Arestis, Kristen McNally (though James Hay gets a big shout too)
Spring - Ashley Dean (maybe Sae Maeda)
Summer - Mariko Sasaki
Autumn - Isabella Gasparini
Winter - Annette Buvoli
Jester (if I have to pick) - Marco Masciari

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Cinders - Yasmine Naghdi
Sisters - Christina Arestis, Kristen McNally (though James Hay gets a big shout too)
Summer - Mariko Sasaki
Winter - Annette Buvoli

Interesting choices, @zxDaveM, not least because your FG and Season Fairies list contains no Principals or First Soloists.

As I didn't see all the casts, I'd better not reveal my 'dream team' but, from the dancers I saw, I'm with you on three of your picks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I think he is of a height that is sort of neither very tall nor very short but if he gets paired with a taller dancer in the roles of the  Suitors it should work, I expect. Unfortunately he wasn’t dancing as a suitor at the performances  I attended, but I think I spotted him in some of the rehearsal photos that were either published by the Guardian or ROH (there were loads-unfortunately I don’t have them to hand), where he was dressed in practice clothes, miming the famous pose with his right hand....I’m 98% certain it’s him....! He danced a lovely solo in the Kyle Abraham ballet, Weathering, in the  triple bill last season but you would have had to catch the second cast to able to see him.

Thanks. I've checked the ROH Flickr account & found the photos. He does look more or less how I thought he did but he's evidently not as tall as I thought he was. I'm afraid I had no desire to see that triple bill even once, let alone twice!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Can't deny it 🙂

At least you’re up front and also generous to other dancers.

AND, importantly, you remind those of us on this forum just what an RB jewel we have in Yasmine Naghdi. 
The whole role of Cinderella, not just the slipper, seemed made for her.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Cinders - Yasmine Naghdi
Summer - Mariko Sasaki
Winter - Annette Buvoli

I have been pondering this for a while.

Cinders- Yasmine Naghdi for the ball, Natalia Osipova for acting in general, especially Act 1 and also for electric turns

Prince- Matthew Ball (particularly for chemistry with Naghdi)

Fairy Godmother- Mayara Magri

Sisters- Bennet Gartside and Luca Acri ( know they didn’t perform together)

Spring- Anna Rose O’Sullivan, 

Summer - a hard call but I think Melissa Hamilton just won it for me

Autumn- Isabella Gasparini 

Winter - Annette Buvoli

Jester - Liam Boswell

• Like 5

I saw 3 different casts, and every single one brought something different.  This is the joy of watching story ballets, there is so much scope for a variety of interpretations.  I think this is particularly true of Ashton's ballets, as his characters cover such a broad spectrum which require not only exceptional technique but wonderful dramatic skills as well .  And makes you realise what a heck of an actress Margot Fonteyn must have been.  Of course I have my favourites, and I have said before how sad I am to see Morera go as she was definitely top of my list in just about everything.  However, I am sure I will discover new favourites over the next year or two, which I am looking forward to.

It will be interesting to see who is cast as Cinderella when it comes around again.  By that time, Lamb will be not far off Morera's age now, (I think?)  and Nunez is about 2 years younger.  

• Like 6

This is so tough, as even the same dancers had little differences in early and later performances. Very few dancers were anything other than fabulous

Cinderella - Yasmine Naghdi
Prince -  Matthew Ball
Fairy Godmother - Mayara Magri
Sisters - Luca Acri just nudges past James Hay for bending back further when his chin is repositioned by the dance master...and Bennet Gartside 
Spring -  Isabella Gasparini
Summer - Yuhui Choe
Autumn - Meaghan Grace Hinkis for the wow factor for the final two spins 

Winter -  Gina Storm Jensen...She just looks so wintery!!!
Jester  - Marco Masciari

Wellington - Lukas......serious man-crush there

Napoleon - Joshua Junker

Annoyed party attendee at start of Act 3 - Maddison Pritchard 

Coach hauling mouse - front left

• Like 10

1 hour ago, alison said:

Must admit, I don't remember a coach hauling a mouse :D 

there are four of them, pulling the 'pumpkin coach' so Ella can make that grand entrance.

All I can say is that the 'humans' must be teeny-weeny folk, as mice and fairies are as big as they are....

• Like 1

Just now, zxDaveM said:

there are four of them, pulling the 'pumpkin coach' so Ella can make that grand entrance.

All I can say is that the 'humans' must be teeny-weeny folk, as mice and fairies are as big as they are....

I guess its motorised or something because I don’t know how they would pull the huge carriage? (Even if It’s presumably light).

17 hours ago, capybara said:

Interesting choices, @zxDaveM, not least because your FG and Season Fairies list contains no Principals or First Soloists.

As I didn't see all the casts, I'd better not reveal my 'dream team' but, from the dancers I saw, I'm with you on three of your picks.

I didn't see the opening night cast, or Fumi might have sneaked in as FG. 😉

I thought Itziar just exuded warmth and caring as FG, and my season fairies were simply the ones I liked best from those I did see.

There were loads of other performances of various roles I also enjoyed enormously, but couldn't cast them all! 🙂

• Like 8

I liked Kaneko and Magri equally as the Fairy Godmother but think Kaneko just …but only just ..sneaked it in the main role of Cinderella in the casts I saw but didn’t see all of course. 

The fairies I saw:   Gasparini great as Autumn fairy …liked equally Choe and Bradbury as Summer fairy and Magri by far the best as Winter fairy for me. 
Just can’t decide about Spring but Ashley Dean obviously a very promising young dancer for the Company in this role. 
My favourite sister still has to be Luca Acri for the sheer surprise he gave me in his performance of this character role. I love James Hay as a dancer but it was Acri who was the revelation here for me. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

It will be interesting to see who is cast as Cinderella when it comes around again.  By that time, Lamb will be not far off Morera's age now, (I think?)  and Nunez is about 2 years younger.  

Thinking some new Cinderellas will definitely be O’Sullivan, Magri and hopefully Melissa Hamilton and Yuhui Choe…

Would also be great to see Claire Calvert back as the Godmother or Cinderella potentially

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Alison was making a joke about the syntax....!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Thinking some new Cinderellas will definitely be O’Sullivan, Magri and hopefully Melissa Hamilton and Yuhui Choe…

Would also be great to see Claire Calvert back as the Godmother or Cinderella potentially

I would also love to see Lauren Cuthbertson in the role.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

I don’t see Choe as Cinderella, similarly not sure if Hamilton would be cast for a similar reason.

can definitely see Calvert as Godmother.

So imagine new cinderellas would be Cuthbertson, O’Sullivan and Magri to ensure all the principals are cast.

I hope it does come back in the 24-25 season. As others mentioned I ended up enjoying the run much more than I thought I might and was so interesting seeing what different casts bought. Would have liked to have seen all of them if I could, so next time will prioritise those I didn’t see (Lamb, Naghdi, Osipova, Takada etc). I probably can’t see them in any case, maybe over the next 10 years! 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, alison said:

Choe's already been demoted to season fairies: I don't see that decision being reversed in the current circumstances.

While I wasn't very surprised that Choe didn't get to dance the title role, I was rather surprised that she only got to do Summer & Autum and didn't even get to do the Fairy Godmother.

As for ideal cast:

Cinderella: Laura Morera

Prince: Matthew Ball

Stepsisters: Thomas Whitehead & Luca Acri

Fairy Godmother: Itziar Mendizabel

Jester: Liam Boswell

Summer: Melissa Hamilton

Winter: Gina Storm-Jensen

Spring & Autumn I don't have a preference.

But really I'd be happy to see any of the 6 casts I saw again as I thought all of them were very good. (I did think male Stepsisters worked better than female ones though.)

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Indeed. Has she not done it previously?

Yes she has, back in the previous production's last run.  As per Jane's post above, she did it with Bonelli, and very lovely it was, too.

• Like 2