Royal Ballet Cinderella March/April 2023

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One word to sum up last night “magic”. 

perhaps the GT has fairy dust scattered over it! Perfect central view mean I     could appreciate all the lovely effects. Loved the pumpkin/coach, costumes etc.

Orchestra on great form but of course it would be nothing without the dancers. Enjoyed all of them including the step sisters (kept thinking of the film Some like it Hot).

Osipova and Clarke - I am surprised the stage can contain all that beauty! Simply wonderful. What a moment when they ascend the staircase together- the staircase to heaven (happy ever after land). Yes brings a tear!

I left feeling so joyful- which sustained me until I got home at 12.30.

It was also great to meet NoGoat and I sat next to a charming man from Alaska, here on holiday.

Edited by Shade
Add text
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

No matter how many times I see the film “Some like it Hot” I never get tired of it especially the famous ending!! 
Ashton certainly understood how to create different kinds of magic. 

And don’t get me started on the demise of the M&S in Longacre such a busy little store and was SO useful 😥

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Frankly I wouldn't have been surprised if the stage management had taken a look at the result & either sent it straight to her dressing room or consigned it to the nearest bin! Instead, to my amazement & pleasure, not only did my bouquet make it on stage but it was the one given to her to hold!

...and I can witness that Miss Morera was carrying that very bouquet/bundle as she exited stage door. She was very complimentary about them, too!

• Like 15

Osipova was on sparkling form last night; gosh - she really lives any role she plays and, as a happy consequence, I end up living the dream she spins.

As before, I was close up close to tears in the two same places; Cinderella's entrance in Act 2 and the final section of Act 3 beginning with that amazing carry down the steps - what I can only describe as a moving stillness.

The combination of the staging, Prokofiev's music, and Ashton's and the dancers' formations/tableaux/dancing creates something gloriously transcendent that reaches deep into my emotional core.
And in a curious way, those moments are made even more effective by the earlier contrasting distraction of the slapstick antics of the step-sisters. 
After all, glorious heights need to be referenced against a base such as sea-level.

And, as per usual, Avis and Acri delivered 'base' with unabashed glee - though perhaps a couple of the rapid-fire timings were slightly off?

Masciari's Jester was not quite as frenetically pushed and extreme as his previous outings, and I thought it was much the better for it. He still managed to hold on to that air of strangeness, though; not sinister, but a non-conformist outlier for others to be wary of.

As much as I love Magri (and am so looking forward to seeing her at the final performance on Wednesday), it was lovely to see Buvoli as the Fairy Godmother. In fact, thinking of all the various Cinderellas, Princes, Fairy Godmothers, step-sisters, Jesters, etc, I've seen in this run (and I've not seen anywhere near all of them!) it's fairly obvious that the Royal Ballet has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to populating cast lists!

You could literally put all of the names in a hat (and it wouldn't have to be a magic hat) and pull out a brilliant cast.

Yes, I have my favourites (and given budget constraints and travel arrangements I have to be selective) but Cinderella is proving to be such a brilliant vehicle to showcase these dancers' talents that I feel I'm nit-picking when it comes to criticism. So, on to criticism then!...

Hardly anything, really - though at a push I'd say I don't know if it was the pace at which the music at the start of Act 3 was played, but I got the distinct impression of a bit of a traffic jam developing on stage as the various characters (Cinderella, couples, the Jester, the step-sisters, etc) traversed across the stage after the ball.

But that is quibbling. The overwhelming sense was that of enjoyment - not just on the part of the audience but the dancers and musicians, too (the orchestra was on top form).

As with Monday, it didn't reach the peak levels of audience reaction as the previous Friday, on Osipova's debut, though her technique last night was arguably better.

Who knows what triggers these things? All it needs is a spark in the right place; sometimes I find myself on the threshold of clapping, but waiting for someone else to; other times I'll clap regardless (I remember clapping her entrance on roller skates [her, not me] for the Anastasia that was broadcast to the cinema, and I remained the sole one in the auditorium doing it, in the gradually-diminishing hope someone else would join in! Ooops!).

Reece Clarke makes for an attractive, imposing prince, and his strength is well-suited to dealing with Osipova's effervescent energy (and for such an imposing figure, it is astonishing how he manages to land his leaps completely silently!). 
Lukas B Braendsrod seems to be from the same mould, and he reminds me of where Clarke was a few years ago - eye-catching and full of potential. And that includes the acting side; maybe I just haven't noticed it, but Lukas is really developing his Wellington character - lots of 'conversations' with himself, with others and with the audience, through a wry look, a raised eyebrow, a grimace or the rub of an 'injured' shoulder.

But Osipova remains first among equals for me when it comes to the balance of acting and technique. 
For technique, the two 'slow' (by her standards) tight series of turns around her prince in Act 2 were an absolute joy to behold:- literally the music of the spheres as she orbited like some heavenly body under the implacable, silent forces of attraction.
As for acting, it would be the Act 2 descent down the stairs and then to the front of the stage:- on reaching the last step, her transition from a dream-like trance to captivated joy and delight gradually flickered into incandescent life through the beacon that is her wonderfully expressive face.

Overall, a brilliant night out that was improved in different ways by the nice weather, by meeting up with the lovely @Shade for the first time and with the ever-lovely @JohnS@Sebastian and @Geoff for the 'nth' times, and even by the more down-to-earth joy of finding out that J12-13 of the M4 was not actually closed for scheduled work as expected!

I am so looking forward to next Wednesday when this production will, hopefully, reduce me to teary happiness one more time!

Edited by Nogoat
typos
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure you will feel bereft Nogoat as you often do at the end of any Ashton run …like Fille, Pigeons, or Month etc as you don’t know when they will be back again. And I felt the same about this Cinderella last week 😥

• Like 9

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

No matter how many times I see the film “Some like it Hot” I never get tired of it especially the famous ending!! 
Ashton certainly understood how to create different kinds of magic. 

And don’t get me started on the demise of the M&S in Longacre such a busy little store and was SO useful 😥

I know it's not really relevant to this thread, but I so agree with you LinMM!  ''Some Like it Hot is my favourite too. I never tire of it. (And I mourn the demise of any M&S branch - particularly those in Paris.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

Or me.  I thought they were aiming to open another one somewhere in the vicinity?

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

A few new photos via the ROH Twitter feed

Why are they bothering, given that the run is virtually sold out?!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alison said:

Your guess is as good as ours, Fonty.

I shall be in the Floral Hall during the intervals.   Note that I have been coming for many years, so it is the Floral Hall to me, not the Whoever It Is Hall.  I have treated myself to a posh seat in the stalls this time, as it is the last time I will see Morera.  I shall be the one in the ball gown and the tiara.....

Or not, if the diamonds need polishing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I shall be in the Floral Hall during the intervals.   Note that I have been coming for many years, so it is the Floral Hall to me, not the Whoever It Is Hall.  I have treated myself to a posh seat in the stalls this time, as it is the last time I will see Morera.  I shall be the one in the ball gown and the tiara.....

Or not, if the diamonds need polishing.

Sadly I won't be there tonight, Fonty.  Would have been lovely to meet you.  There are usually forum folk up in the amphi terrace during the intervals, and when I'm there I always sit in the FH by the little staircase that leads down to the old part of the House.  

Hope you enjoy the show from your posh seat, and may your diamonds twinkle brightly!!  :)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Sim said:

Dawnstar what a lovely story!  Laura doesn’t do social media but I hope that somehow this story makes its way to her.  

When I spoke to her afterwards I did say that those flowers were from me, though obviously I didn't bore her with the full assembly details. I probably spent too long thanking her for all her previous performances that I've seen as it was.

15 hours ago, CCL said:

Dawnstar, I’m in absolute awe of your thoughtfulness and initiative. How lovely it must have been to see Laura holding your flowers!!

I did get slightly teary. For the second time that evening, having already gone a bit during the Act II pdd when I had an aaahhh-last-time-seeing-her-in-a-classical-role moment.

I hope everyone there this evening enjoys seeing her final full-length classical performance.

Edited by Dawnstar
Added last sentence
  • Like 12

49 minutes ago, Sim said:

There are usually forum folk up in the amphi terrace during the intervals

The restaurant has taken over the area where ‘forum folk’ used to meet. This afternoon, the rest of the amphitheatre terrace was packed full of people who were not attending the Cinderella performance. Sadly ‘Forum Folk’ no longer have a regular place to meet.

Edited by Bluebird

14 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Well I’d love to meet anyone there tonight and will head for the seats that Sim mentioned in the FH near the carpeted stairs to the old part of the house and the foyer

I hope to see you again before the end of the season...maybe for a Beauty!

57 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

The restaurant has taken over the area where ‘forum folk’ used to meet. This afternoon, the rest of the amphitheatre terrace was packed full of people who were not attending the Cinderella performance. Sadly ‘Forum Folk’ no longer have a regular place to meet.

Such a shame after so many years.  Ah well, you might have to migrate downstairs if you can!  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Well I’d love to meet anyone there tonight and will head for the seats that Sim mentioned in the FH near the carpeted stairs to the old part of the house and the foyer

I'm here tonight. I will come and have a look for you

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

When I spoke to her afterwards I did say that those flowers were from me, though obviously I didn't bore her with the full assembly details. I probably spent too long thanking her for all her previous performances that I've seen as it was.

I think you have the right idea.  I've only sent flowers on a very few occasions (it's very expensive!) and with mixed results.  I've had lovely thank you notes (Will Bracewell before I had even got home,  Marianela posting to her entire network, Gary Avis lovely thank you), no response at all from others (names will not be mentioned) and one occurrence when they didn't know who they were from due to florist incompetence.   Fortunately on this occasion (James Hay), posted a photo on Instagram so I was able to tell him directly. That's how I found out about florist incompetence.  He sent me a lovely thank you. Pre men receiving flowers on stage, I sent Brian Maloney some on his retirement. He took the trouble to find me on Facebook to say thank you.  So heart warming.  

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I think you have the right idea.  I've only sent flowers on a very few occasions (it's very expensive!) and with mixed results.  I've had lovely thank you notes (Will Bracewell before I had even got home,  Marianela posting to her entire network, Gary Avis lovely thank you), no response at all from others (names will not be mentioned) and one occurrence when they didn't know who they were from due to florist incompetence.   Fortunately on this occasion (James Hay), posted a photo on Instagram so I was able to tell him directly. That's how I found out about florist incompetence.  He sent me a lovely thank you. Pre men receiving flowers on stage, I sent Brian Maloney some on his retirement. He took the trouble to find me on Facebook to say thank you.  So heart warming.  

The first time I tried to give a dancer flowers I failed to get a card to go with them so she wouldn't have known who they were from due to my incompetence! I didn't have time to go to the stage door after that performance so had to explain when I bumped into her in the ROH a few weeks later. The night before last was only my 3rd attempt at flower giving & I evidently haven't got the organisation right yet! I suppose the way to do it without stressful rushing around just before the performance is to put in an order with a florist but that's too expensive for me (I gather Bloomsbury Flowers start at around £50-60).

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

i think your 'ad hoc' bunch sounded delightful.  Very personal. I love getting those flowers in box that you arrange yourself. The big arrangements are so glam but yes, loadsa money and I often wonder who has the vases to match?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

(I gather Bloomsbury Flowers start at around £50-60).

They used to start at £35 but, with the change of ownership, it’s £45 and, to be honest, what emerges does not look sufficient at that price. But many RB patrons do seem to use them.

Please don’t be too hard on dancers who don’t say ‘thank you’. It’s lovely if they do but many cards seem to go missing. I have been asked several times if a (photographed) bouquet came from me when, somewhat embarrassingly, it didn’t.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1