BBC's Platinum Party at the Palace concert

Having said that, I thought it was a terrific evening. I'm not a pop/rock music fan so a lot of the names meant nothing to me, but the energy and humour and sense of fun were infectious. The horse jumping in the sky over the palace is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. AND the Paddington sequence at the beginning was sheer unadulterated joy. Magnificent.

• Like 4

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was such a shame …. The very cute little year 7 bees got 9 seconds 😞. I was shouting at the tv for them to zoom in. All that hard work and effort with rehearsals etc. The dancers themselves had a fabulous time and that is something they get to cherish forever… just a shame about the lack of footage 😔. Managed to zoom in for Diversity though ….. 

• Like 1

Thanks to BritBox I've spent the afternoon watching three hours of this. Absolute highlight for me was Diversity - is there no end to Ashley Banjo's talents?!

As others have said, the brief segment "featuring" the Royal Ballet School with Miss Cuthbertson and Mr Clarke was not well done in terms of television direction. Impossible to comment on something so disjointed for the viewing audience. I will say that using an English ballerina and a Scottish danseur in a piece by an English choreographer struck a rather more British chord than the Golden Jubilee performance by an Italian danseur with a French-born Spanish/Russian ballerina of a Russian ballet 😉 (don't @ me, I'm a Colonial)

• Like 1

It was such a shame. After all, if you have people singing or talking, you can listen to their voice while you watch a montage of scenes on the big screen. You don't need to see them in close-up. But most of the ballet element seemed to be broadcast from hundreds of yards away, and you could barely see the stage, let alone anyone on it.

• Like 1

OK - the ballet bit, as televised, was definitely something of a non-event.  But there was worse, sometimes much worse, like that dire What a Wonderful World.  Were any two words of it in tune?  And was Diana Ross only inches from disaster on those steps with that dress?  And .....

I should perhaps admit that, verging on 81, I am unlikely to be amongst the demographic at which most of the evening was pitched.

Not in today's Links, but quite good:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/live/2022/jun/04/queens-platinum-jubilee-concert-2022-follow-the-platinum-party-at-the-palace-live

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

OK - the ballet bit, as televised, was definitely something of a non-event.  But there was worse, sometimes much worse, like that dire What a Wonderful World.  Were any two words of it in tune?  And was Diana Ross only inches from disaster on those steps with that dress?  And .....

I should perhaps admit that, verging on 81, I am unlikely to be amongst the demographic at which most of the evening was pitched.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/live/2022/jun/04/queens-platinum-jubilee-concert-2022-follow-the-platinum-party-at-the-palace-live

Chipdog has staggered out of the room because I was laughing so loudly at this Guardian blog.  Thanks Ian!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Yes agree about What a Wonderful World soooo pitchy 😂 

2 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Thanks, Ian. This really made me smile! 😀

I was very disappointed with the fact that there was hardly any close-ups of the dancers - non-event sums it up nicely! I felt very frustrated. I have to say, the lowlight of the whole event was the rather out of tune singing in a fair few places - it's amazing (not in a good way!) how a relatively simple melody disappears when some attempt to sing it! 😱As for Rod Stewart and 'Sweet Caroline'... Oh dear! I feared for Diana Ross in that dress - I am also not convinced that she was doing a lot of actual singing, which is probably a blessing! 🤣

Nearly forgot to give a special mention to Jason Donavan - no, just NO!! I cringed throughout his performance. As a lover of musicals, I had to mute the tv, I'm afraid! 

Edited by Linnzi5
Added extra moan!

I think the performers were doing their best in what was after all a live, open-air and complicated concert with probably a tiny amount of rehearsal. Besides which I don't think most pop singers generally hit all the right notes (let alone in the right order) at best of times, and that's only going to be exacerbated in last night's circumstances. And if a few of them were past their best, who cares - people clearly wanted to see them anyway. I didn't expect quality singing so I wasn't disappointed, and I really enjoyed the bits I knew... 😊

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I think the performers were doing their best in what was after all a live, open-air and complicated concert with probably a tiny amount of rehearsal. Besides which I don't think most pop singers generally hit all the right notes (let alone in the right order) at best of times, and that's only going to be exacerbated in last night's circumstances. And if a few of them were past their best, who cares - people clearly wanted to see them anyway. I didn't expect quality singing so I wasn't disappointed, and I really enjoyed the bits I knew... 😊

Yes much of the singing was fine, given the circumstances. And today, although I am not a particular fan, I thought Ed Sheeran sang really really well.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, bridiem said:

And my main thought was: why didn't they do a section of Penguin Café? A ready-made environmental ballet that is also visually striking and has thrilling music.

I'd never heard of the Penguin Café and just watched a small clip on YouTube now. Very interesting and unique!
I would love to see it live at some point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I'd never heard of the Penguin Café and just watched a small clip on YouTube now. Very interesting and unique!
I would love to see it live at some point.

Still Life at the Penguin Cafe was created by Sir David Bintley for the Royal Ballet and he revived it for Birmingham Royal Ballet.  It was revived a number of times during his 24 year directorship but I'm not sure what Acosta's plans are (if any) for any of the heritage rep.

The Royal Ballet production is still available on DVD:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Jeffes-Penguin-Cafe-Orchestra-Still/dp/B000Y351ZC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1JQ86NCEBP45H&keywords=ballet+still+life+at+the+penguin+cafe&qid=1654455687&sprefix=ballet+still+life+at+the+penguin+cafe%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-1

• Like 1

Having just watched the bits of the concert that I wanted to see....I would say that the TV/audience screen people couldn't win with that ballet staging. What they should've done is either have Lauren and Reece dance with the RBS in one place or one do their piece after the other. I don't think they showed a long shot of the Mall so couldn't see what the crowds were being shown but in other parts of the concert they were being shown close ups of the artists rather than just what we saw on the telly, so it may be the the live audience saw far more of either dance than we did

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Having just watched the bits of the concert that I wanted to see....I would say that the TV/audience screen people couldn't win with that ballet staging. What they should've done is either have Lauren and Reece dance with the RBS in one place or one do their piece after the other.

Also the problem was that the projections onto the Palace were (understandably) given priority, and when that happened with singers it didn't matter so much because you could still hear the singing; maybe it didn't occur to them that with dancers, that left nothing! They should have done the projections and THEN the dancing.

• Like 2

Yes I felt Reece and Lauren were dancing in the wrong place by being under the tree. They needed to be more front on where the other dancers were. Perhaps dancing on the bit where Diana Ross stood? 
They were also dancing with the really wonderful light projection onto the Palace which would naturally take most of your attention. 
Still must have been great to be part of it all. 
How did they do the bits projected ABOVE the Palace eg: the corgi and bone projections? As they were semi animated as well. 
I thought it all went pretty seamlessly considering there probably couldn’t be that much rehearsal so could forgive the odd song sung out of tune!! 
Must have been great to be part of the crowd as the atmosphere would have been terrific and am glad so

many made the effort to be there but being in such huge crowds is not something I enjoy these days but very happy to watch others obviously having such a good time! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PeterS said:

Here’s the link to the insta post from Lauren Cuthbertson filmed by Kevin O’Hare last night. Better than the BBC

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ceb9JRxIgOF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thank you for this! It is quite lovely. I agree with what some have said about the placement of the tree and dancers. I understand how important the projections were to this performance - they were stunning - but still feel it was a shame for the dancers (both the principals and RBS dancers) not to be seen in the overall TV coverage more. It was, overall, a visually spectacular evening and I am sure being there live was thrilling and the sense of atmosphere unique and wonderful.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

How did they do the bits projected ABOVE the Palace eg: the corgi and bone projections? As they were semi animated as well. 

That was by using drones 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Yes much of the singing was fine, given the circumstances. And today, although I am not a particular fan, I thought Ed Sheeran sang really really well.

I liked Ed Sheeran, although his name is everywhere, I had never seen or heard him before but I was impressed.

Sorry to want to get all technical when I don’t have much understanding but Rob S when you say it was with drones were there lots of little drones making up the pattern or was it a larger drone projecting all the lights. They just didn’t seem like the usual laser type lights. 

10 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Sorry to want to get all technical when I don’t have much understanding but Rob S when you say it was with drones were there lots of little drones making up the pattern or was it a larger drone projecting all the lights. They just didn’t seem like the usual laser type lights. 

It was lots of normal sized drones. They co-ordinate them all and control them in groups.  As you can imagine, many hours of planning and rehearsal go into it, and the results are spectacular.  The article below explains it all:

Team behind DRONE spectacular rehearsed in 'off-grid location' to avoid revealing 'top secret' show | Daily Mail Online

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sim said:

It was lots of normal sized drones. They co-ordinate them all and control them in groups.  As you can imagine, many hours of planning and rehearsal go into it, and the results are spectacular.  The article below explains it all:

Team behind DRONE spectacular rehearsed in 'off-grid location' to avoid revealing 'top secret' show | Daily Mail Online

Spectacular indeed. However I don't think I'll read this article, since I prefer to believe that there really was a horse jumping over the palace, and a handbag floating in the night sky. 😊

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thanks Sim! 
I loved all the light projection stuff but the drone thingy displays were amazing!! How did they practice it though ….was it a secret 3am job!  

They piped the sound of Andrew Lloyd Webber singing in to a very crowded area and everyone vanished 

• Like 7

On 05/06/2022 at 22:06, PeterS said:

Here’s the link to the insta post from Lauren Cuthbertson filmed by Kevin O’Hare last night. Better than the BBC

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ceb9JRxIgOF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=I

Sorry about above….

I was us able to watch it live & reading all the comments here, I’m not sure if I want to ‘catch-up’ or not….. maybe just leave with the cuteness of Her Majesty with Paddington as shown on the news? I would love to see the stone stuff too…

I clicked the Instagram link to see the ballet footage there (thx PeterS). Well, interesting but disliked the ‘fabric dancing’ as couldn’t see Ms Cuthbeetsons’ wonderful fluid arms - wasted. Costume ‘wings’ a little too much Rio Carnival’ in style & instead of enhancing lovely arms it hid them….

on another note, I do think LC is just getting bette & better since returning after starting a family…. 

• Like 3