Nureyev: Legend and Legacy - September, Drury Lane

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a little worried today about the view from my £25 balcony seats, so had a look at the seating plan - and noticed that there are now £25 seats in two of the lower levels too. I'm sure this wasn't the case when I booked back in the spring - or did I just make a mistake? 

I've emailed the theatre to ask if I can pay a fee to swap...

• Like 1

I don’t know if they’ve changed the prices of selected areas since the spring as sales have been very slow until the last day or so, a few weeks ago I got a £25 seat at the rear of the Royal Circle for opening night to go with my existing £60 seat for the front of the same level for the second night

• Like 1

I think the promoter has released quite a lot of £25 seats across all levels. I phoned the box office, got through straight away, and a lovely gentleman swapped my tickets from the front row of the Balcony to the back row of the Royal Circle - no fee.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Cesar Corrales is definitely on top form at the moment. This should be a very exciting and interesting gala though I’m not going unfortunately. 

The rehearsal looks great. I think he adds something else to the original choreography.

This is how pas de six was danced at Mikhailovsky Theatre with young Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghsadwIwp0U

Edited by Amelia
typo
  • Like 3

Well he won my heart as a young blogger at the Prix de Lausanne!! 
I do try to be impartial and occasionally have seen him give a disappointing performance but mostly he’s one of the ones I will especially book to see. He has that “edgy” quality like Osipova which makes him very exciting and a little unpredictable but when he gets the classical lines with those beautiful feet as well he’s just terrific to watch. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

I don’t know if they’ve changed the prices of selected areas since the spring as sales have been very slow until the last day or so, 

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people these days, younger generations especially, probably have little idea of who Nureyev was - probably like Nijinsky before him, he has to some extent disappeared into the annals of history.  Perhaps he ought to be repackaged as a "gay icon"?

Drat!  I booked two seats ages ago, back in May, thinking this would be a sell out.  Looks like I could have got the same ticket for a lot less if I had waited.  On top of that, I now have a spare ticket for Monday evening, as the person I was going with cannot come.  

If ticket sales are lousy, is there any point in my trying to resell it via the box office or on here?  Ticket was an expensive one too.  

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

Drat!  I booked two seats ages ago, back in May, thinking this would be a sell out.  Looks like I could have got the same ticket for a lot less if I had waited.

I am now having somewhat similar feelings! Admittedly I wouldn't have been able to get as good a ticket in terms of location, but I am rather regretting spending so much, especially as the programme has fewer items than I was expecting.

It does seem a shame that people who booked early are disadvantaged unfairly. 

It’s a tricky position - it’s better for the organisers to sell at discount to make more profit or at least less of a loss.

but if people see this happening regularly, it might encourage a habit of waiting to book tickets until closer to the time - if it doesn’t immediately sell out you don’t lose much but could gain a lot. 

I guess the way I see it is I was happy to spend the amount I did when I purchased so it’s not going to change anything to be annoyed about the discounts now. And I’ve been on the receiving end of having tickets upgraded for example in the Coliseum when things haven’t sold well, so it all evens out. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I am now having somewhat similar feelings! Admittedly I wouldn't have been able to get as good a ticket in terms of location, but I am rather regretting spending so much, especially as the programme has fewer items than I was expecting.

I agree about the - IMHO - quite limited programme….may be adequate in length as far as time but I did think it a little short on content for the original price of tickets….

• Like 1

On 02/09/2022 at 17:06, FionaE said:

And I’ve noticed Cesar Corrales has replaced Marci Sambe in Laurencia in a video by dancersdiary.  Cesar looks terrific in it.

Great video! I was sorry to have missed Cesar and Natasha’s sole La Bayadere - before he got injured - although it was a treat to see Vadim as Solor again. Laurencia would suit Cesar well! The others look great in the video too. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

On 03/09/2022 at 17:27, alison said:

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people these days, younger generations especially, probably have little idea of who Nureyev was - probably like Nijinsky before him, he has to some extent disappeared into the annals of history.  Perhaps he ought to be repackaged as a "gay icon"?

I'm in my early twenties and was literally raised watching and reading about Nureyev/Fonteyn performances - probably thanks to my grandmother, a huge Nureyev aficionado, who very sadly passed away a few weeks ago at 95 years old. I will be going to the performance on Monday night in memory of her, as I know she would have wanted me to attend. Very sad that Marcelino won't be in Laurencia, but otherwise really looking forward to it.

• Like 9

Change of cast …

Emma Hawes has posted that due to illness she will not be able to perform in tonight’s and tomorrow’s performances, but hopes to be back for the shows on the 12th.  

She was due to perform Flower Festival of Genzano with Francesco Gabriele Frola.  

I’m guessing she is being replaced by Ida Praetorius, principal at Hamburg Ballet, previously principal at Royal Danish Ballet.  Ida posted last night “oh hey London, what an exciting surprise, @nureyevgala”

I saw Ida perform Liliom in Hamburg, as alternative cast to Alina Cojocaru.  She is a super ballerina.  And presumably already knows this pdd. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 03/09/2022 at 11:28, capybara said:

I like it that more and more people are 'discovering' Cesar.

Indeed.  I have always liked his solo dancing but thought that his partnering needed work;  I think that the fledgling partnership with Yasmine Naghdi is doing him a lot of good in that regard.  Yes I liked his Romeo, but he blew me away in Like Water For Chocolate.  His performances showed a depth that really moved me, and together with the brilliance of Miss Naghdi as his Tita they put the 'first' cast in the shade as far as I'm concerned...I didn't like it on the opening night, and ended up really 'getting it' with the 'second' cast.  Sadly they don't seem to be cast together at the ROH this season, but they are doing guestings together so hopefully they will continue to establish something special.  I love the Naghdi/Ball partnership too, but if things have to be 'mixed up' then Naghdi/Corrales is a wonderful alternative, IMHO.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, capybara said:

I had that link from NEBT a couple of days ago but I wasn’t sure that it was meant for sharing.

The link was from Official London Theatre on their broad newsletter to theatre going audience so doubt there are any issues

37 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Change of cast …

Emma Hawes has posted that due to illness she will not be able to perform in tonight’s and tomorrow’s performances, but hopes to be back for the shows on the 12th.  

She was due to perform Flower Festival of Genzano with Francesco Gabriele Frola. 

That's a pity. I was looking forward to seeing Hawes & Frola dancing together.

7 minutes ago, Blossom said:

The link was from Official London Theatre on their broad newsletter to theatre going audience so doubt there are any issues

Oh - WOW! 

I've seen a number of 'private' offers but hadn't realised that they had 'gone public' as it were.

Incredibly the very seat for which I paid £117.00 when tickets first went on sale is now available for £47.50.

Wishing Emma Hawes, Marcelino Sambe, German Louvet (and was Hugo Marchand injured too or just unable to make it?) a speedy recovery from illness or injury! Emma had looked great in the rehearsal video and photos posted earlier last month. 

Ida Praetorius dancing Flower Festival at Genzano is a huge treat - it’s like being able to watch Alessandra Ferri as MacMillan’s Juliet before she left the Royal Ballet for ABT. Ida is Danish, hugely talented like Frola and Corrales (she won both Prix de Lausanne and the Erik Bruhn competitions, and you can see her on YouTube ad Giselle and In Romeo and Juliet- quite exceptional in terms of artistry, not just technique)  and trained in the Bournonville style at the RDB school, and as far as I know, has not performed in Britain yet. (Or has she? She wasn’t in the RDB dancers’ tour in London some years ago but only joined them in New York and I was so disappointed!) 

Very tempted to go twice....although my schedule sadly won’t allow it! I’d have to leave halfway through one of the shows. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5