On 15/07/2022 at 23:38, Rob S said:

LA BAYADERE
Act 3 Pas de Deux
Choreography Marius Petipa
Music Ludwig MinkUS
Dancers lana Salenko,
Berlin State Ballet,
Xander Parish, formerly The Royal Ballet

(bold emphasis mine) The Mariinsky (with which of course Nureyev himself danced when it was known as the Kirov) is The Company That Must Not Be Named? Presumably by the dancer concerned...?

• Like 2

Yes, I noticed this and although I understand the sensitivity surrounding what would have been the right accreditation, it made me so sad. What a tremendous achievement by Xander Parish. I hope he finds a company that he can call home soon and won’t be confined to guesting. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I've had to resell 2 tickets for the Tuesday matinee via the LW theatre website 60 GBP each. Grand circle centre, row B, seats 29 and 30. Just thought I'd mention in case anyone is looking for tickets. 

14 minutes ago, jm365 said:

Has anybody had their tickets for this yet?  I booked ages ago and I know they said the tickets would be available much nearer the event - - but it's getting pretty close now!

My confirmation e-mail said this:

***As a reminder, this isn’t your ticket. Your E-Ticket or Mobile Ticket will be sent to you 24 hours prior to your chosen performance time.***
  • Like 1

I booked, at the theatre, first half of July and was told that for security one's e-ticket would not be issued until 24 hours before the performance. The email confirming my booking includes a link and having used it this afternoon it takes me to my e-ticket but states the barcode will not appear until 24 hours before the performance. Printed of my ticket (which shows seat details), without the barcode, just in case.

On 20/08/2022 at 16:26, Odyssey said:

Yes, I noticed this and although I understand the sensitivity surrounding what would have been the right accreditation, it made me so sad. What a tremendous achievement by Xander Parish. I hope he finds a company that he can call home soon and won’t be confined to guesting. 

I am not so polite as you, @Odyssey, I must say I am very appalled that they don't mention the Mariinsky. Xander made a CAREER at the MARIINSKY, whereas the RB didn't give him great roles, if my information is correct. Not mentioning this renowned theatre is a behaviour which supports Putin's idea of separating people, nations, the arts even more, in my opinion. We should not join this "tiny thinking".

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

I am not so polite as you, @Odyssey, I must say I am very appalled that they don't mention the Mariinsky. Xander made a CAREER at the MARIINSKY, whereas the RB didn't give him great roles, if my information is correct. Not mentioning this renowned theatre is a behaviour which supports Putin's idea of separating people, nations, the arts even more, in my opinion. We should not join this "tiny thinking".

Although, as someone alluded to above, it might be the dancer himself who asked not to mention the Maryinsky in his profile.  Even if he did not, I am sure that even they don't write the profile themselves, that the dancers are asked to read it to ensure they are accurate.  I guess we just don't know what happened in this case.

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

Although, as someone alluded to above, it might be the dancer himself who asked not to mention the Maryinsky in his profile.  Even if he did not, I am sure that even they don't write the profile themselves, that the dancers are asked to read it to ensure they are accurate.  I guess we just don't know what happened in this case.

May be a case of darned if they do, darned if they don't. If they say "from the Mariinsky" they risk being seen as hiring a "Russian" dancer. If they say "formerly of the Mariinsky" that may be closing a door that that dancer wants to leave open, even if just a crack. 

30 minutes ago, oncnp said:

May be a case of darned if they do, darned if they don't. If they say "from the Mariinsky" they risk being seen as hiring a "Russian" dancer. If they say "formerly of the Mariinsky" that may be closing a door that that dancer wants to leave open, even if just a crack. 

Indeed.

9 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

I don't think Xander has an issue which telling where he spent his time, everyone knows it anyway. Here's he's mourning the recent passing of his beloved Coach at the Mariinsky 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Chfy9QLL1QF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Maybe not everyone.  Programme writers and advertisers always assume that there will be people from the general public attending who don't necessarily know anything about the dancers....people like us on the forum are a minority in the grander scheme of things!!  So either he or the organisers decided that at the moment it might be best to leave out the Russian connection.  Maybe when it comes to the actual performance programme this will change.

2 hours ago, jonac said:

I booked, at the theatre, first half of July and was told that for security one's e-ticket would not be issued until 24 hours before the performance. The email confirming my booking includes a link and having used it this afternoon it takes me to my e-ticket but states the barcode will not appear until 24 hours before the performance. Printed of my ticket (which shows seat details), without the barcode, just in case.

Think I'll print out whatever is available now too, my printer can take ages to work properly, thanks for mentioning it!

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Maybe not everyone.  Programme writers and advertisers always assume that there will be people from the general public attending who don't necessarily know anything about the dancers....people like us on the forum are a minority in the grander scheme of things!!  So either he or the organisers decided that at the moment it might be best to leave out the Russian connection.  Maybe when it comes to the actual performance programme this will change.

And if not, people will google for his name/previous work and guess what they are going to find out...it throws a bad light at the organisers, I don't change my mind about it.

40 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

I don't change my mind about it.

No one's asking you to.  You're entitled to your opinion. 

But worth keeping in mind @Sim's point that we don't know who made the decision to label Parish that way.  

Edited by oncnp

5 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

I don't think Xander has an issue which telling where he spent his time, everyone knows it anyway. Here's he's mourning the recent passing of his beloved Coach at the Mariinsky 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Chfy9QLL1QF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sabine, I believe that Mr. Parish (sadly I don't know him so I don't feel I can rightly refer to him by his first name) is currently a dancer with the Norwegian Ballet.  Perhaps that might be the best association under the circumstances to note - given that it at least appears to be current.  

• Like 5

In terms of marketing to a wider UK audience (than the more knowledgeable balletomanes in this forum) I can see it makes sense to highlight Xander Parish’s Royal Ballet company and school associations.   I can see that the gala wants to be about Nureyev rather than highlighting the current conflict.  

Though they could highlight Alina Cojocaru’s 20+ years as principal at Royal Ballet and English National Ballet.  They’ve rather undersold her too, from a UK perspective 🙄 

So many star 🌟 names performing in this gala !!!   It really is going to be a treat.

Looking at sales today it seems they could have done reasonably well with just 3 shows, rather than 5.  Two would have likely been a sell-out. That might have been a better strategy for ensuring interest for a future round. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Looking at sales today it seems they could have done reasonably well with just 3 shows, rather than 5.  Two would have likely been a sell-out. That might have been a better strategy for ensuring interest for a future round. 

My friend and I have been discussing this for a while, the Tuesday matinee looks absolutely terrible!!

Edited by Rob S

12 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Sabine, I believe that Mr. Parish (sadly I don't know him so I don't feel I can rightly refer to him by his first name) is currently a dancer with the Norwegian Ballet.  Perhaps that might be the best association under the circumstances to note - given that it at least appears to be current.  

Mr Wall, I think Sabine is perfectly ok using Xander. 

• Like 1

From across the board I am hearing nothing is selling - sales down at least 25% and usually closer to 40% with very few exceptions. I agree about the number of shows for this - Drury Lane is a big house to fill. I don't think I've ever seen ballet there so that will be interesting. Next couple of years are going to be very hard for performing arts in the wake of the last two very hard years. And once again I can only suggest the RB programme is short of crowd-pleasers and works that might in entice tourists and visitors looking for a treat on holiday.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

My friend and I have been discussing this for a while, the Tuesday matinee looks absolutely terrible!!

Yes.  I think if they want to fill the matinee  they could do with discounting the £25 balcony seats to try and fill the balcony..  If they sold them for £15 as a special offer they might get more people being willing to go.  

I agree with Fiona that they'd do better running it for 3 performances rather than 5.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1