Nureyev: Legend and Legacy - September, Drury Lane

https://www.nureyevlegendandlegacy.com/

The unmatched impact of Rudolf Nureyev, whose performances touched the lives of people around the world, will be celebrated on stage this September in London over five performances at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane - where Nureyev made his London debut - in a production curated by a former star of The Royal Ballet which will bring together an array of international talent both on and off stage.

At Nureyev Legend and Legacy, audiences will enjoy a programme of nine classical ballet excerpts representing highlights in Nureyev's career, hand-selected by former Royal Ballet principal Nehemiah Kish and performed by 22 of the leading dancers of our times - William Bracewell, Yuhui Choe, Alina Cojocaru, Cesar Corrales, Guillaume Côté (12th September), Benjamin Ella, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Emma Hawes, Francesca Hayward, Daichi Ikarashi, Oleg Ivenko, Natascha Mair, Hugo Marchand (5th and 6th September), Maia Makhateli, Vadim Muntagirov, Yasmine Naghdi, Natalia Osipova, Xander Parish, Iana Salenko, Marcelino Sambé, Alexandr Trusch, Marianna Tsembenhoi - representing companies which include The Royal Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, and the English National Ballet.

Performances of Nureyev Legend and Legacy will be hosted and introduced by former Director of The Royal Ballet Dame Monica Mason - who herself partnered Nureyev on a number of occasions - and Ralph Fiennes, the acclaimed actor and filmmaker who directed and acted in The White Crow, which tells the story of Nureyev's defection from Russia to the West. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/uk-regional/article/Historys-Greatest-Ballet-Star-Will-Be-Celebrated-in-NUREYEV-LEGEND-AND-LEGACY-20220511

Edited by AnticaFiamma
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this look terrific but also looks as though it might be extremely expensive to pay for that line up. It's not as if it's a one-off either: with some dancers I really like split between the different dates I'd ideally like to see more than 1 performance.

Oh, I've just realised I'm probably misinterpreting the line-up. I took it to mean that the first 5 dancers listed before the first date would only appear on that date & the next half a dozen dancers would only appear on the dates they're listed before. Now I look at is again, is it actually only Marchand & Cote that aren't appearing at all performances? If so then I will only book for 1 performance & so can buy a better ticket!

Edited by Dawnstar
Added 2nd paragraph.
  • Like 3

definitely more appealing than bill bailey & prof brian cox at the ROH in august 

just under 2000 seating capacity, so fingers crossed tickets will be easily available .... 

per the theatre box office, indicative ticket prices are £25, £45, £60, £95, £125, plus £400 (Ultra VIP), £1000 (Opening Night VIP)

Edited by PeterS
indicative ticket prices
  • Like 2

Thank you @PeterS that’s more palatable! 

I see the gala is “presented in association with the Rudolf Nureyev Foundation”.  

So I’m assuming this is a fundraiser for the foundation, and I’m assuming some of these dancers have been beneficiaries of Nureyev Foundation awards.  I’m sure others here will know who.   

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
18 hours ago, PeterS said:

definitely more appealing than bill bailey & prof brian cox at the ROH in august 

just under 2000 seating capacity, so fingers crossed tickets will be easily available .... 

per the theatre box office, indicative ticket prices are £25, £45, £60, £95, £125, plus £400 (Ultra VIP), £1000 (Opening Night VIP)

Ticket prices are spot on

Choose your performance - Nureyev Legend and Legacy | LW Theatres

'Couldn't find a good seat plan on the site but this might be helpful  Theatre Royal Drury Lane London Seating Plan & Photos | SeatPlan

Interesting tidbit from The Stage - A proportion of tickets will be offered free of charge to ballet students and workers in the NHS. 

Edited by oncnp

Just noticed further down the website that some of the pieces have been announced:

Each piece has been chosen to represent a different aspect of Nureyev’s incredible life and work, which saw him become a global star with renown beyond the world of ballet, opening with a solo he choreographed for The Sleeping Beauty which showcases Nureyev’s talent as a choreographer and his impact on elevating the role of the male dancer by adding solos to the classical repertoire. It will be danced by Hugo Marchand of the Paris Opera Ballet. Other extracts in the programme include a Pas de Deux from Gayane, which reflects Nureyev’s folk dance roots and will danced by Oleg Ivenko (who played Nureyev in The White Crow) partnered by Maia Mahkateli; and the Pas de Six from Laurencia, which Nureyev staged with the Royal Ballet for a TV special in 1964, staged exclusively for this production by Natalia Osipova, who will be accompanied by Marcelino Sambé and 4 dancers from The Royal Ballet.

Yasmine Naghdi also posted on Instagram to say her and Cesar Corrales will be doing the Le Corsaire pas de deux.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm afraid I succumbed to temptation & booked a front row stalls seat for the first performance (as that's the one with the live introduction).

@Rob S For seating info for West End theatres I'd recommend Theatremonkey's website. For Drury Lane http://www.theatremonkey.com/venues/theatre-royal-drury-lane

Thanks, I did find a seat review site in the seven minutes I was given to complete the transaction...looks to be fine except a bit of a squeeze for leg room. What I didn't see is the there's a live introduction...I saw Yuhui and other RB dancers and thought 'I'm there!' Oh well, second night for me. 

• Like 2

Once again I have to thank ballet forum for leading me astray! But it's been a rather slim ballet year for me so far so this comes as a surprise welcome bonus- thanks to all for the alerts.

• Like 1

I contacted them yesterday to ask what Alina will be performing and they replied ‘We will announce the special ballet Alina is performing very soon... we look forward to announcing the full programme shortly’.

Guest oncnp
On 11/05/2022 at 16:11, FionaE said:

T

So I’m assuming this is a fundraiser for the foundation, and I’m assuming some of these dancers have been beneficiaries of Nureyev Foundation awards.  I’m sure others here will know who.   

Does not appear to be a fundraiser or that's not how it's being presented.

According to the Foundation website Shale Wagman and Denilson Almeida of the RB (among others) have both been recipients of scholarships.  Granted a scholarship by the Rudolf Nureyev Foundation: where are they now ? - Fondation Rudolf Noureev

On further investigation Marianna Tsembenhoi and Vadim Muntigirov have also been grant recipients while at RBS as well as other RBS students.  

Awarded grants and donations (nureyev.org)

Edited by oncnp

13 hours ago, oncnp said:

Ticket prices are spot on

Choose your performance - Nureyev Legend and Legacy | LW Theatres

'Couldn't find a good seat plan on the site but this might be helpful  Theatre Royal Drury Lane London Seating Plan & Photos | SeatPlan

Interesting tidbit from The Stage - A proportion of tickets will be offered free of charge to ballet students and workers in the NHS. 

Any info on how ballet students can apply for free/subsidised tickets? I hope they don’t forget that there is more than just one establishment with worthy dancers in training!! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

It seems very unclear as to whether this is a commercial venture or a fund raiser.

I see that one of the ‘extras’ within a high price ticket is having a professional photo taken with one of the “22 greatest dancers in the world”. Not sure about this level of hype even though I love so many of the artists who will be appearing. And will they sell so many shows, I wonder?

That said, I have bought an (ordinary) ticket.

• Like 4

If it is well publicised, I can't see any problems selling tickets for a show with such a cracking line up.  From what I could see, some of the better seats in all categories have already sold out.

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

What's all this about a "live introduction"? What do they mean?. Won't MM and RF be introducing all shows? 

Performances of Nureyev Legend and Legacy will be hosted and introduced by former Director of The Royal Ballet Dame Monica Mason - who herself partnered Nureyev on a number of occasions - and Ralph Fiennes, the acclaimed actor and filmmaker who directed and acted in The White Crow, which tells the story of Nureyev’s defection from Russia to the West. On the opening night, this introduction will be live, with a filmed version screened at the performances that follow.

HOME | Nureyev Legend and Legacy  under the "About" section

8 hours ago, oncnp said:

Performances of Nureyev Legend and Legacy will be hosted and introduced by former Director of The Royal Ballet Dame Monica Mason - who herself partnered Nureyev on a number of occasions - and Ralph Fiennes, the acclaimed actor and filmmaker who directed and acted in The White Crow, which tells the story of Nureyev’s defection from Russia to the West. On the opening night, this introduction will be live, with a filmed version screened at the performances that follow.

HOME | Nureyev Legend and Legacy  under the "About" section

Thank you .. thought I replied yesterday but seems gremlins were at work. I think it's a bit of a swizz then if the hosts can't appear at all the shows. However, I have a feeling there may be ticket offers for this gala so might get to the Monday premiere yet. 

Guest oncnp
On 12/05/2022 at 18:36, Peanut68 said:

Any info on how ballet students can apply for free/subsidised tickets? I hope they don’t forget that there is more than just one establishment with worthy dancers in training!! 

I e-mailed them and this was their non-answer

Hello, Thank you for you question. We are distributing tickets to a number of dance schools in the Greater London area ranging from recreational to professional. The selected dance schools will distribute the tickets. With best wishes,

9 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Hello, Thank you for you question. We are distributing tickets to a number of dance schools in the Greater London area ranging from recreational to professional. The selected dance schools will distribute the tickets. With best wishes,

Seems like a perfectly sensible answer to me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oncnp said:

I expect that means RBS will as ever get freebies.... wonder if indeed the odd recreational school might.... how on earth they’d decide on who is beyond me!! Surely rather than send allocations to schools it’s be better for interested students who reallly want to go to have to apply....you so often hear people take a free ticket but then don’t show up or only go because it’s free - not really very interested....but hey ho!! Good of some students do get free/cheap tickets! 

It is incredibly hard to deal with individual applications unless there is a specific contact point who has no time constraints. So I don't blame the organisers for the route they have chosen.

And they are to be applauded for enabling students to attend.

• Like 5

Yes, I guess that’s probably true although an online booking code for student ticket which then had be backed up by evidence (such as letter of place at institution required to get vocational student discount at places like Bloch shop etc) could open it up beyond just London as students would trave for this! Limit the numbers of tickets so first come first serve will mean those most desperate to go will book early! This would be fair (like the fantastic Barclays Dance Pass scheme at Sadlers Wells - which is she related - once seats home they are gone. 

Thanks to the forum for alerting me to this! Sounds really interesting and I will definitely make it (particularly given I don’t think I’ll be making an Autumn ROH visit). Great dancers and some interesting pieces which I’ve not heard of so makes me curious! Nice idea to also have them be “presented”, I understand why they might be able to get the presenters there every night so filming it (rather than the other nights having no introduction at all) a good compromise. 

I missed out on the Ukraine gala so this makes me feel a lot better! 

the website works fine me by the way!