Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, gdallas said:

When the RB launched the current production of Swan Lake a few years ago I saw Natalia Osipova and Marianela Nunez, and I thought that MN was a better, fuller performance. Was that what 4 or 5 years ago? 

Anyway, tonight we saw Natalia Osipova with Reece Clarke and it was so good I think I may not bother going again.  I don’t know why, or how, but she turned it up to 11 and brought her partner with her all the way. It’s sort of taken for granted that her technique is as near flawless as anyone, and that was certainly true tonight but there was something about the way she danced the music, that was very unusual for me. It was as if the orchestra was following her, hard to explain but the dancer was completely in control, conducting from the stage and the audience seemed to get that. 

I think Giselle is ‘her ‘ role, maybe. But honestly I have never seen her dance as well as she danced tonight. The muse was with her. A privilege.

I was actually thinking about this the other day.

After last Thursday's performance, it was something so magically perfect and felt otherworldly that I think they may have ruined me as anything else, even if it's exceptionally beautiful, will still feel lesser and I'd hate to feel like that. I have some other tickets, at the minute I'm trying to decide. 

Damn these crazy talented artists and their gifts! 😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, emmarose said:

I was actually thinking about this the other day.

After last Thursday's performance, it was something so magically perfect and felt otherworldly that I think they may have ruined me as anything else, even if it's exceptionally beautiful, will still feel lesser and I'd hate to feel like that. I have some other tickets, at the minute I'm trying to decide. 

Damn these crazy talented artists and their gifts! 😉

Well you never know if you will be surprised. That’s the thrill of the live performance. I am always hopeful so go anyway. I think I must have seen more swan lake performances than any other ballet but I can always find time for another one - same with Bayadere.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Shade said:

Well you never know if you will be surprised. That’s the thrill of the live performance. I am always hopeful so go anyway. I think I must have seen more swan lake performances than any other ballet but I can always find time for another one - same with Bayadere.

Giselle, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty and Bayadere for me all are ballets where the opportunity for different techniques or characterisations of the role mean you can watch multiple times and still find something new. 

I will put in another comment to say I really hope Bayadere returns - the casting would be delicious and lots of options for dual Nikiyas/Gamzatti’s (can imagine Kaneko would be excellent in both roles, would love to see O’Sullivan as Gamzatti, Hayward as Nikiya, Nunez and Osipova as both!). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shade said:

Oh of course, it's why we go, in the hopes of getting that high.

It's also why after reading what you believe is your favourite book you don't give up reading from then on!

But sometimes something can be left with you that you find it hard to go back in because you know it will be measured against it (even if you don't want to, your brain will just do it!) and it would take a godlike effort to come close.

But health permitting, I will want to go. I just have a slight hangover....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JNC said:

Giselle, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty and Bayadere for me all are ballets where the opportunity for different techniques or characterisations of the role mean you can watch multiple times and still find something new. 

I will put in another comment to say I really hope Bayadere returns - the casting would be delicious and lots of options for dual Nikiyas/Gamzatti’s (can imagine Kaneko would be excellent in both roles, would love to see O’Sullivan as Gamzatti, Hayward as Nikiya, Nunez and Osipova as both!). 

My only change here would be Hayward as Nikiya; I can't imagine it somehow.  I am not sure if you were attending last time, JNC, but in that last run Nunez/Osipova swapped roles in the same cast, so one night they were facing up to each other in one role, and in the next performance as the other.  It was fascinating!!  I really liked Yasmine Naghdi's Gamzatti and would love to see her, with her beautiful classicism, as Nikiya.  Am also thinking Mayara Magri as Gamzatti.

Having said all this, I am fearful that it might be a while until Bayadere returns, and when/if it does, I hope it isn't butchered to death to satisfy a small but vocal minority. 

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Sim said:

My only change here would be Hayward as Nikiya; I can't imagine it somehow.  I am not sure if you were attending last time, JNC, but in that last run Nunez/Osipova swapped roles in the same cast, so one night they were facing up to each other in one role, and in the next performance as the other.  It was fascinating!!  I really liked Yasmine Naghdi's Gamzatti and would love to see her, with her beautiful classicism, as Nikiya.  Am also thinking Mayara Magri as Gamzatti.

Having said all this, I am fearful that it might be a while until Bayadere returns, and when/if it does, I hope it isn't butchered to death to satisfy a small but vocal minority. 

That would break my heart. I may boycott in protest were that to happen!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Kevin did state last week that it was only for that week…there was no anthem on Monday either 

Yep, on their website statement it says "before each performance" from the 28th though.

In other news, amazing performance from William and Francesca. William's jumps are amazing, he doesn't seem to touch the ground!

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Did I imagine Magri already doing Gamzatti? But agree she would be great in the role. 

I see what you mean about Hayward - she’s certainly not a Gamzatti in my eyes so think I settled on her as Nikiya! 

I loved Nunez as Nikiya and Osipova as Gamzatti and sorely regret not seeing their role swap. 

I have to be honest I would be very tempted to see almost every cast of Bayadere, similar to Giselle I feel there is a lot of room for interpretation. 

I really do hope it returns, the story is probably the most realistic and adult of the classical ballets and the costumes and choreography are just luscious. I don’t think there is anything else like it to be honest and it is irreplaceable in the rep! 

but back to Swan Lake, awaiting reports of Hayward’s debut eagerly! I’m sure it was lovely. 

• Like 2

I was left a bit underwhelmed tonight, I liked it but didn't love it. There was obviously loads to enjoy: I particularly liked the Neapolitan dance, Calvin Richardson's gorgeous Benno (such a beautiful line, pity he doesn't have his solo bow at curtain call!) and William Bracewell's Siegfried. He's such a beautiful, poignant dancer and a subtle actor as well: his movements are very lyrical but also pregnant with meanings, and in the first act his Siegfried could be easily mistaken for Hamlet. And his variations in act 3 were so good, very elegant without showing off.

I was not as convinced by Francesca. There was nothing particularly wrong with hrr performance, but all the pairs we've seen so far were so exquisite and all the debuts so well realized that tonight felt a little off by comparison. Obviously she's a very fine dancer (those arabesque!), I liked the subtle characterisation of Odile, and she was great in act 4. But in act 2 and 3 I thought she wasn't quite there yet, it felt slightly underpowered and she seemed to me a little slow at times. I didn't love how far towards the orchestra she travelled during the fouettes, Bracewell completely outshone her technically there. The last ten minutes of Act 3 generally leave me with a rush of adrenaline that I definitely didn't feel tonight. She'll get there for sure, I have no doubt of that, but in a season with so many accomplished and fully realised debuts this is still a bit of a work in progress for me.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Sim said:

I really hope that Bayadere returns soon.  I wonder if the fact that KOH turned up in Brno  recently to watch Kaneko, Naghdi and Muntagirov starring in a gala performance of Bayadere for NDB ballet might mean he is considering reviving it. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I was left a bit underwhelmed tonight, I liked it but didn't love it. There was obviously loads to enjoy: I particularly liked the Neapolitan dance, Calvin Richardson's gorgeous Benno (such a beautiful line, pity he doesn't have his solo bow at curtain call!) and William Bracewell's Siegfried. He's such a beautiful, poignant dancer and a subtle actor as well: his movements are very lyrical but also pregnant with meanings, and in the first act his Siegfried could be easily mistaken for Hamlet. And his variations in act 3 were so good, very elegant without showing off.

I was not as convinced by Francesca. There was nothing particularly wrong with hrr performance, but all the pairs we've seen so far were so exquisite and all the debuts so well realized that tonight felt a little off by comparison. Obviously she's a very fine dancer (those arabesque!), I liked the subtle characterisation of Odile, and she was great in act 4. But in act 2 and 3 I thought she wasn't quite there yet, it felt slightly underpowered and she seemed to me a little slow at times. I didn't love how far towards the orchestra she travelled during the fouettes, Bracewell completely outshone her technically there. The last ten minutes of Act 3 generally leave me with a rush of adrenaline that I definitely didn't feel tonight. She'll get there for sure, I have no doubt of that, but in a season with so many accomplished and fully realised debuts this is still a bit of a work in progress for me.

From the ovation at the curtain calls, l got the impression that the audience were not underwhelmed 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I would agree with you Antica - I felt a bit underwhelmed - I should just preface that by saying that I wasn't feeling great and I had a complete fidget sitting next to me after the first interval (he had sat with his mate in another seat for the first two acts and someone hadn't turned up) and he kept looking at his mobile which I was very tempted to grab and but managed to restrain myself. 

Bracewell was magnificent and whilst it may be unfair to compare him to Vadim who I saw a fortnight ago, his acting was certainly much more expressive.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I slightly do agree with you there. Francesca's performance was great of course, but during Act 3 William Bracewell's technique definitely seemed more polished. Of course, he has done the role before so has more experience.

Overall it was amazing though - Calvin Richardson was sublime as Benno, stunning performance. I also did feel a lot of chemistry between William and Francesca throughout.

• Like 9

I did love the performance tonight! Calvin Richardson was indeed a beautiful Benno; he reminds me of John Curry, than which no praise could be higher in my book. And his chemistry with William Bracewell was so effective; they're similar dancers in that they're both intensely musical and with both of them the steps are entirely at the service of the character. They really dance, and flow, and they know how to inject drama and how to end with a flourish. Bracewell was a wonderful Siegfried, with light, high jumps and precise turns, and a very moving reaction to Francesca Hayward's swan maiden. She seemed so tiny and fragile and yet had a quiet, slow dignity that I liked very much. Bracewell approached her and touched her with such gentleness that he seemed to be afraid that she might break. I was surprised by her Odile - almost casual, as if she really didn't care about the deception she was perpetrating and was just amusing herself by ensnaring Siegfried. Really effective. The fouettés were not very strong or complete, but that didn't matter to me because they served their purpose - she kept the characterisation going and made it work. Good for her. And Act IV from both of them was really beautiful; there had been a kind of innocence about both of them in Act II that was fully restored here but in such tragic circumstances. Wonderful.

• Like 19

I too felt a bit underwhelmed tonight, maybe waiting a couple of years had built my expectation unfairly high. Her White swan was utterly beautiful particularly her response to Siegfried’s pleading in Act 4 was very powerful. It was the Black swan pdd which usually gets me pretty fired up but tonight left me flat, her fouettés just didn’t happen for me.  Having said all that it was very well received, the swans are totally wonderful, William partnered her beautifully, and all the various dance routines were really good. Would not have missed this for the world.

• Like 6

I have seen three of the Odette/Odile debuts - O’Sullivan, whose Odette wore her heart on her sleeve, Magri’s hesitant, fearful Odette, and now Hayward, whose fragile Odette seemed marked from the first as a child of fate. The tragedy that was to come was painted in subtle, delicate colours and it tore at my heart. And her Odile was neither conniving nor foxy, she didn’t need to be. Once again, fate held the cards, which Odile, its agent, played with nonchalance; and why not, when the result was a foregone conclusion?

Bracewell, of course, delivered everything that I have come to expect from him and more: a beautifully danced, intuitive and moving performance, and Richardson, surely a future Siegfried, fulfilled all the promise that he had shown at the general rehearsal and then some. A total stand-out and, as Bridiem has already said, such convincing chemistry between his Benno and Bracewell’s Siegfried.

And finally, and I can’t say this often enough, a big shout out for the pitch-perfect cygnets and the utterly wonderful corps. I am speechless with admiration. 

• Like 18

I don’t think I could ever watch such a sumptuous & multi-layered production and leave disappointed. It’s always unfortunate when a highlight doesn’t happen. Regardless, I found much pleasure again last night. Overall, there was much to enjoy and relish in last night’s performances albeit none were flawless. Then again, neither am I. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 6

Thanks everyone, I have now printed off my cast sheet and placed it in the file with all the other ones I have gathered over the years.  I am very old fashioned, I do like a paper copy.

A few rambly thoughts about last night.  This was the first time I have seen this production.  I stopped going to see Swan Lake years ago, partly because I had seen it so many times, and partly because I felt the music had been slowed down so much in Act 2, it had become positively funereal. Personally, I thought this did no favours at all to the choreography, and sometimes it seemed that Odette looked as though she was too heavy for poor old Siegfried to lift, the pace was so languid.  Last night I felt it was being played a bit quicker, and consequently I enjoyed it much more.

Regarding Act 1, we know that Siegfried is unhappy, that is the whole point of the story. There has to be something that emphasises Siegfried's loneliness, yearning for love or whatever, and I just didn't get that this time. I felt he was a marginal figure, moping around while everyone else is having a great time. I disliked the costumes for the ladies, I thought they were rather dreary outfits for a prince's birthday party, and not very flattering.

I hated the idea of making Von Rothbart part of the personnel at court, and the more I saw of him, the more it annoyed me. I know we have had a conversation about reality in fairy tales, but really, this was just plain daft. I kept thinking about the figure in black in Act 3 of Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, which is done so much better. This fellow stuck out like a sore thumb, striding around in black, looking sinister.  He might just as well have had a sign over his head saying “Evil Magician”.  Way too pantomime for my tastes, and had my practical mind wondering why nobody had noticed he was never around at night.

Also, it muddled the story line in Act 3, and a lot of the choreography didn't make sense as a result.  Normally Odile's arrival, accompanied by Von Rothbart, is very dramatic.  This time, it wasn't as spectacular as it should be, she just seemed to flutter in alone.  Did she have a chaperone who presented her?  If she did, it passed me by.  Plus, having made her entrance, why is she interacting with somebody when supposedly they are complete strangers.  Doesn't the prince, or anyone else for that matter, wonder for one moment why the woman he loves seems to be under the influence of the Man in Black, when she has never been to court before.  I know he is a magician, but even so!

I thought the ending, where Odette throws herself into the lake looked a bit rushed and didn't quite fit the music, somehow.  I just didn't feel the build up of tension and despair.  It wasn't the fault of the dancers, so I am not quite sure what the issue was.  Maybe it was my seat position, but I felt the stage was so cluttered with people, I could barely see Odette run off, and even then it wasn't clear she was committing suicide unless you know the story.

I loved Bracewell and Richardson, I thought they were both splendid.  I like Hayward very much as a dancer, but I knew it was a mistake to have watched those clips in the Swan Lake lecture by Macaulay on the other thread.  All the things that he mentioned and highlighted were fresh in my mind, and I was looking for them.  Sadly, I didn't see many of them. For example, the fact that in Act 2 Odette keeps turning to face Von Rothbart's corner and being drawn towards it, just didn't come across.  

This may be the fault of the production, of course, and it really isn't fair to compare someone making their debut in the role with the legend that is Margot Fonteyn.  Suffice to say that I enjoyed Hayward's performance very much, given that it was her first time.  She is a lovely dancer, and I am sure she will continue to grow into the role.

• Like 11