The ROH booking website - what can we do?

By the way, just noticed that the website boasts of a “new” Help section. The relevant part for this thread is here:

We recommend trying the following actions:

• Try using a different browser (for example Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Safari)
  • Try using a different device (for example, a desktop computer, tablet or mobile phone)
  • Try using 'incognito mode' in Google Chrome

On busy booking days we experience high traffic to the website and processes may take longer than usual. We recommend:

• Returning to the website later in the day
  • Waiting a little longer for your email confirmation
  • Waiting up to an hour before trying to access your tickets through your account.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Good point. But why release access so far in advance of the performance? 

Quite. No doubt access seats are offered not just out of the kindness of the ROH's heart but to fulfill funding requirements etc, which would surely be breached by releasing them so far ahead.

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Thanks for heads up re tickets but can’t pay over £150 even for Cesar! 
I can’t sit in Amphi or the loose chairs on the side in level B and C in Balcony (Row A is okay as have a barrier in front of you) but these not available and anyway too expensive for Swan Lake!! 
There is a seat in stalls circle .. a bench seat B.27. 
Still a bit pricey but have never sat on a bench seat before. Has anyone sat in B.27 is view okay from there? 

I've not sat in that exact seat for Swan Lake but in the last run I saw several performances from various of the bench seats in row C just behind. The most important things I can remember missing were the vision of Odette at the end of Act III and the deaths of Odette & Von Rothbart in Act IV. Given row B is slightly further forward the view will be slightly better but I suspect those moments would probably still not be visible. Some of Siegfried's moping around at the side of the stage in Act I is also not visible. I don't recall missing anything significant in terms of dancing & I personally thought the production was better seen from the far left than the far right of the stalls circle, having tried both.

ETA I probably should clarify that I don't personally think that the view is worth the £118 that the ROH is charging for row B for Swan Lake but if you can't find anywhere else that you are able to sit where there are still tickets available then, well, I guess it depends on your budget & how much you want to see that particular performance as to whether it would be worth it for you.

Edited by Dawnstar
Added 2nd paragraph.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I’m at Manon tonight, I did ask at the Box Office about access tickets and it was news to me to hear that several pairs of tickets are held by aisles/exits  for audience members to help their access. I was also told that some Swan Lake access tickets remain held back and would be released a few days before the actual performance if they are not sold to registered access audience members.

I’m afraid I knew nothing of these relatively new arrangements and so can only apologise for jumping to a wrong conclusion. I strongly support steps to improve access but I do wish the ROH would publicise what they’re doing. They have a great story to tell re access - schools, Paul Hamlyn, NHS, under 25s etc and if that also includes keeping some seats back for those registered under their access scheme, great.

I doubt if Ballet Forum comment played much part in the release of today’s tickets and hopefully there’ll be greater clarity about ticket availability on the website.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JohnS said:

hopefully there’ll be greater clarity about ticket availability on the website.

Yes, this is the real point. Whatever they do or don't do about access tickets, the booking information/availability on the website should be clear and unambiguous for all bookers. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’m afraid I knew nothing of these relatively new arrangements 

Access seat arrangements have been in place for at least 20 years so not sure if that classes as relatively new.  I had a disabled friend who was registered with the Access scheme and went with her several times (because you can also have a companion if you need one).

• Like 3

I’ve known about disabled access/concessionary tickets and various discounts for years but had no idea that some full price tickets were held back for those registered with the access scheme. Whilst such arrangements may have been in place for some time, I’m told they have been considerably expanded. 

Thanks for all the good advice on this. As previous posters have said, there do now seem to be seats on the seat map when the calendar says there are some available. Sadly my work commitments have shifted and 7 March isn’t an option any more, but hopefully I’ll get to see swan lake some time this run. Interesting conversation about access tickets and of course it makes sense for the people who need a particular type of seat to have priority, but I would have thought that for a world class institution the simple (?) task of having a website which is capable of telling someone if there are tickets available or not without them having to go on a lengthy digital mission to confirm if it’s true was a pretty basic requirement! Just as well their core business is ballet not online services as they’re rather good at the former but not so much the latter!!

Edited by Occasional audience member
  • Like 4

Dawnstar…Thankyou so much for your advice but I too think £118 is a lot to pay if any kind of restrictive view so think will give those two Bench seats a miss and trust will get a return nearer the time. 
I have seen both these two before in Swan Lake or otherwise might have been tempted to go at any price 😳 however think good sense can prevail here but just wanted to support Cesar on his return to the stage!! 
Before Covid I used to say absolutely not over £100 for a theatre seat but found I’ve been pushed to the £120 mark more recently …just on occasions ..but always seats with a very good view.  
Tickets  in the £150-175 mark it’s just a no from me 😱 but if you were only to attend the ROH once or twice a year I suppose could be considered reasonable for the great view they would afford. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

Tickets  in the £150-175 mark it’s just a no from me 😱 but if you were only to attend the ROH once or twice a year I suppose could be considered reasonable for the great view they would afford. 

Yep. That’s why I’m only going to 1 performance of Swan Lake for the Sissens/Sasaki debut - I may book for more depending on whether Akane Takada does SL in the June run. 

SL also feels very fresh in my mind as I went a lot in the 2022 run.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Beware the website at the moment: I am getting an announcement of “technical issues”.

I think they should replace the photo they use on the Error page to one of the red girls from Les Pats that have just fallen on the floor

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I think they should replace the photo they use on the Error page to one of the red girls from Les Pats that have just fallen on the floor

Great idea!  😂

Even even better would be for the website to be fixed. However this seems to be a bigger problem than first appeared. The website now shows this (interestingly, despite the message being time stamped seven o‘clock this morning, it has only just appeared online):-

MAJOR OUTAGE (25/01/24 07:00 GMT)

One of our infrastructure providers is currently experiencing major issues, affecting all our websites along with many others around the world. We are working with them to resolve the issue. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. If the problem persists, please contact the box office on +44 (0)20 7304 4000.

• Thanks 1

The website seems to now be working again & the alert at the top has changed to:

"We are carrying out essential maintenance work on our website between 6am and 10.30am (GMT) on Friday 26 January 2024. If you encounter an error, please try again after a short while. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just noticed that the credits that I had on my account from a returned ticket disappeared, or rather they became negative. Could this be because of the maintenance this morning? It's annoying cause I wanted to use them today but they can't be applied. 

16 hours ago, Anna1805 said:

I just noticed that the credits that I had on my account from a returned ticket disappeared, or rather they became negative. Could this be because of the maintenance this morning? It's annoying cause I wanted to use them today but they can't be applied. 

There is a deadline to use them. I've just realized that mine from 2020 were to be closed next week and have just used them before they would have disappeared.

• Like 1

The "life" of credits now seems to be 3 years, to judge by my account.  Worth not forgetting they're there - in the same way that one shouldn't forget about the balance on gift cards or similar (as I always suspect shops may be hoping you will!)

• Like 3

My credits barely last a few months! - although I accept that for many it's not possible to rebook so soon. I was previously told 2 years (24 months), which is better than some organisations which only offer 1 year and don't even have events every week and certainly not almost every day like ROH does. It might now be 3 years. @Anna1805, it's worth phoning the box office if you think yours were newer than 3 years. If you only missed your cut off by a little bit they might be able to help you get it/some of it back. 

Edited by Emeralds

2 hours ago, alison said:

The "life" of credits now seems to be 3 years, to judge by my account.  Worth not forgetting they're there - in the same way that one shouldn't forget about the balance on gift cards or similar (as I always suspect shops may be hoping you will!)

That reminds me- have 2 such ‘credit notes’ for shops in purse… when they are merely paper like receipts it’s so easy to forget & throw away (yep - have done that with £££ before 🥲)

• 2 weeks later...

If it's any consolation, it's not only the ROH website which misbehaves.  I've just been on the Birmingham Hippodrome website, which was showing me loads of stalls seats for the Sleeping Beauty matinee on 22nd February.  This a few minutes after telling me that the stalls were sold out :(

19 minutes ago, alison said:

If it's any consolation, it's not only the ROH website which misbehaves.  I've just been on the Birmingham Hippodrome website, which was showing me loads of stalls seats for the Sleeping Beauty matinee on 22nd February.  This a few minutes after telling me that the stalls were sold out :(

BEWARE casting had changed for 22/2 matinee. See my detailed post under César Morales thread.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

BEWARE casting had changed for 22/2 matinee. See my detailed post under César Morales thread.

Didn't see it in time, unfortunately :(  Could have saved myself the trip.

On 27/01/2024 at 15:33, alison said:

I find 3 years to be quite generous and fair, most places it’s about 1 year. Having said that I do think it would be nice if they automatically applied the credit to your basket rather than you having to do so, but I guess that’s maybe a step too far for them…! 

It would also be assuming that you wanted the credit applied.  You might either be wanting to leave the money with them for the time being, or (as in my case recently) wanting to save it for a time when you might be wanting to book but didn't have secure enough WiFi to risk putting credit card details in.

It's doing that "you have exceeded your ticket limit" thing again and preventing me from booking anything when a) I have zero tickets in my basket and haven't bought a single ticket for the triple bill yet, b) after signing out and starting afresh as an anonymous booker who has not logged on yet. How can someone with no name and nothing in their basket have exceeded their ticket limit when zero has been bought or reserved? 

Another major reason why ROH has so many unsold tickets these last two years and is losing money. 

• Like 1

Is there still a problem with how access tickets are being treated? The later Manon performances show availability as 20 plus for each performance but there’s hardly anything when looking at the seat maps and nothing for the Hayward performances when 55 are ‘available’.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Is there still a problem with how access tickets are being treated? The later Manon performances show availability as 20 plus for each performance but there’s hardly anything when looking at the seat maps and nothing for the Hayward performances when 55 are ‘available’.

This was discussed upthread. I agree that it’s frustrating to see say, 33 seats ‘available’ and then to find that I can’t buy them. 

However it’s not a problem per se.
As I understand it, the way the system is currently set up, unsold seats currently offsale to the general public e.g. YROH. Access Scheme, RBS students (?), will now show as ‘available’ on the website because they can be bought online by the group(s) they have been set aside for. If you qualify for one of these groups, then the available seats show on the seating plan when you log in to your account and, you can buy them. 
They may be released for general sale at a later date if they remain unsold. Hence the message I often read ‘keep checking back’. 
It would be misleading to show these dates as ‘sold out’ because they are not.
I suggested upthread and subsequently to the box office that a brief explanation similar to that used by the Donmar Warehouse and the Almeida Theatre on their websites would be much appreciated and clear up any misunderstanding and impression that there is something wrong with the website when in fact it is working. 
To date my suggestion hasn’t been adopted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Is that associated with the "phantom" £34 tickets showing for various performances, which don't apparently exist?  They can't always be in someone's basket.