The ROH booking website - what can we do?

10 hours ago, PeterS said:

As I understand it, the way the system is currently set up, unsold seats currently offsale to the general public e.g. YROH. Access Scheme, RBS students (?), will now show as ‘available’ on the website because they can be bought online by the group(s) they have been set aside for. If you qualify for one of these groups, then the available seats show on the seating plan when you log in to your account and, you can buy them. 

7 hours ago, alison said:

Is that associated with the "phantom" £34 tickets showing for various performances, which don't apparently exist?  They can't always be in someone's basket.

Yes. And for seats in all price bands too. 

13 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I don’t think so @alison as the ‘available’ seats never show on the seat map.

If you qualify/are eligible for one of these groups, then the available seats do show on the seating plan when you log in to your account and, you can buy them.

Edited by PeterS

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the four March Manons, there are 126 ‘available’ seats ranging from £43 to £140. The only seats showing on the seat maps and available for general booking is one box, for the Hamilton Manon on 5 March. I appreciate that those people who have registered for the various access schemes may well be able to log on and book the seats. I don’t think it’s possible for non registered general public to glean anything about the distribution of these tickets - how many seats there are at the different prices. But I’m happy to be corrected if there is any information.

@alison had asked about £34 tickets and that might have been for the 2x Manon on 17 February where ‘availability’ lists £34 seats for both performances but they are not on the seat maps and we don’t know how many seats there are: the descriptor is ‘last few remaining’ for both performances rather than the number of seats.

When there was a lot of discussion about the access seats upstream (Swan Lake tickets were made available for general public booking around 19 January), the Box Office team were hoping there’d be greater clarity about tickets held for access and when they’d be released if they were not taken up by those who had registered for access. It doesn’t look as if there’s been any progress: for the general public not registered under the various access schemes, March Manon performances are at this point in effect ‘sold out’ until there are any returns, Friday rush, and any unused access seats are released for general booking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

If you look at the four March Manons, there are 126 ‘available’ seats ranging from £43 to £140. The only seats showing on the seat maps and available for general booking is one box, for the Hamilton Manon on 5 March. I appreciate that those people who have registered for the various access schemes may well be able to log on and book the seats. I don’t think it’s possible for non registered general public to glean anything about the distribution of these tickets - how many seats there are at the different prices. But I’m happy to be corrected if there is any information.

@alison had asked about £34 tickets and that might have been for the 2x Manon on 17 February where ‘availability’ lists £34 seats for both performances but they are not on the seat maps and we don’t know how many seats there are: the descriptor is ‘last few remaining’ for both performances rather than the number of seats.

When there was a lot of discussion about the access seats upstream (Swan Lake tickets were made available for general public booking around 19 January), the Box Office team were hoping there’d be greater clarity about tickets held for access and when they’d be released if they were not taken up by those who had registered for access. It doesn’t look as if there’s been any progress: for the general public not registered under the various access schemes, March Manon performances are at this point in effect ‘sold out’ until there are any returns, Friday rush, and any unused access seats are released for general booking.

Below is the text from the Donmar website. If the ROH had the same or something similar it might perhaps address your confusion and your concerns:

“Why are there no seats showing on the date  I want when the website is saying “limited availability”?

[Or in the case of the ROH ‘available’]
Some of our seats are not available to the general public, but need to be live on our website in order to be bookable for those that can. This is indicated clearly on the booking pages.”

And from a random Donmar booking page:

”Select your seats:
If the performance you are looking for says it has limited availability but appears sold out, this will indicate that seats are not available for the general public.”

So yes, you are correct, at present only 4 seats for Manon of the remaining ‘available 126’ are currently for sale to the general public. 

i hope this helps. Also here is an extract from the YPOH page:

2. Make sure you’re signed in to your Young ROH account to see the available tickets. …. 4. Select your chosen seats for any eligible performance. This can be done by selecting the £30 price filter in the seat map or seat selector.”

and this is from the Access page:

“BENEFITS

Our Access Box Office team is always available to help you book tickets online, by phone or in-person. We offer:
        Priority for accessible seating….”

Presumably at some point, if these tickets are not purchased by the groups that they have been set aside for, they will be released for general sale. It is the same for the SCS tickets reserved for the RBS. If they are not taken up they go on general sale. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Thanks 2

Is it me or is there an issue with the later Manon performances. I've tried several times to go in and purchase where it says there are seats available, but then there's nothing on the seat map or the choose a seat option?  Very frustrating.  I can see others appear to have a similar issue

Edited by JennyTaylor
added content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

Is it me or is there an issue with the later Manon performances. I've tried several times to go in and purchase where it says there are seats available, but then there's nothing on the seat map or the choose a seat option?  Very frustrating.  I can see others appear to have a similar issue

see my comments above.  (If the performance you are looking for says it has limited availability but appears sold out, this will indicate that seats are not available for the general public).

Edited by PeterS

we think we have problems queuing on the ROH website for tickets....

when priority tickets for Tom Holland in Jamie Lloyd's upcoming Rome & Juliet went onsale at 8am this morning the queue had over 50,000 people in it.  the priority sale tickets were exhausted before demand was satisfied and people had to join a new general sale queue at midday. there are currently 35,000 people in that queue.

the 'limited' run is 12 weeks (watch out for an extension announcement).

with the Duke of York's theatre seating capacity of 640, 12 weeks x 8 shows x 640 = 61,440 total.  looks like someone is going to be disappointed.

4 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I saw that too- really odd. They don't appear to be the typical seat prices for Access seats unless it's just a wild coincidence. I can only suggest trying again later in the evening or tomorrow and of course there's always Friday Rush tickets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

we think we have problems queuing on the ROH website for tickets....

when priority tickets for Tom Holland in Jamie Lloyd's upcoming Rome & Juliet went onsale at 8am this morning the queue had over 50,000 people in it.  the priority sale tickets were exhausted before demand was satisfied and people had to join a new general sale queue at midday. there are currently 35,000 people in that queue.

the 'limited' run is 12 weeks (watch out for an extension announcement).

with the Duke of York's theatre seating capacity of 640, 12 weeks x 8 shows x 640 = 61,440 total.  looks like someone is going to be disappointed.

and despite the following notice, there are now 73,000 in the queue!

General Sale tickets have now sold out.

There are still a limited number of tickets remaining for ATG+ members and Access Scheme customers, if you continue to hold.

At a later date, 5,000 tickets at £25 will be available exclusively for under 30s, key workers and those receiving government benefits, on every level of the auditorium – including the front row. Details of when these tickets become available will be announced soon.

5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

They don't appear to be the typical seat prices for Access seats unless it's just a wild coincidence.

what do you think is the typical seat price for an access seat? 

it is my understanding that access seats are available in all price bands. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I saw that too- really odd. They don't appear to be the typical seat prices for Access seats unless it's just a wild coincidence. I can only suggest trying again later in the evening or tomorrow and of course there's always Friday Rush tickets. 

It was showing the same yesterday so it's probably not that likely to change later today/tomorrow. I'm aware from this thread that it's due to access seats but it still does get frustrating having to repeatedly check multiple performances just in case any of the tickets showing as available are actually available.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

I rather suspect not.  There are surely parts of the amphi which couldn't by any stretch of the imagination be described as "accessible".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Access seats are meant to be visible only if you log in as an Access member (ie signed up on their Access list). Previously Access seats tended to be lower priced tickets in expensive areas and amphi because of the practicalities of heights of wheelchairs (mustn't obstruct the view of peolle behind) and not being able to get to certain areas that had steps or were too narrow. 

Sale strategies aside, if everything is sold out except Access seats, then the website should say "Sold Out" to everyone who is not logged in or who is logged in under a non Access account. 

I forgot to mention to @JennyTaylor that the other definite way of being certain as to what is actually available to buy, if you have a bit of time eg 10 minutes, and it's during box office opening hours, is to phone the box office (thankfully it's not a premium rate number like Birmingham Hippodrome!) to ask what they have. When I previously returned tickets 4 hours before a show, the staff member indicated that they were going to sell them immediately to a customer on the phone who was desperate/eager for tickets- there was no point spending time putting them back on the website because she was already front of the queue, so to speak. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Access seats are meant to be visible only if you log in as an Access member (ie signed up on their Access list). Previously Access seats tended to be lower priced tickets in expensive areas and amphi because of the practicalities of heights of wheelchairs (mustn't obstruct the view of peolle behind) and not being able to get to certain areas that had steps or were too narrow. 

Sale strategies aside, if everything is sold out except Access seats, then the website should say "Sold Out" to everyone who is not logged in or who is logged in under a non Access account.

At the moment the presumably-access seats are showing at £49-£140 for each of the last 4 performances so that wouldn't be giving the Access members a discount.

Yes, that would be far more useful considering that the vast majority of potential ticket bookers must be non-Access people.

• Like 1

There is now - finally - a £34 amphi seat showing for Saturday's Manon matinee, but it's one of the most inaccessible seats in the entire theatre!  (But then, perhaps that's why it's showing?)

The website is playing up again for me....having a look at availability for the Pet Shop Boys it's saying I've reached my limit (I've not booked anything) When I open up an incognito tab and try to sign in I'm immediately on a 39 minute wait on the sofa page both on laptop and phone (ie two different makes of browser)

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The website is playing up again for me....having a look at availability for the Pet Shop Boys it's saying I've reached my limit (I've not booked anything) When I open up an incognito tab and try to sign in I'm immediately on a 39 minute wait on the sofa page both on laptop and phone (ie two different makes of browser)

same for all of us  

it's a shambles  😡

even if one gets further one is stuck on a white screen  

Edited by Silke H
additional comment

The queue is now paused on incognito but I've now somehow got past the reached limit thing and waiting an age for the 'loading seat availability' to load.

It's a good job I'm only PSB gig curious...if I really really really wanted to go I'd be fuming right now

My priority booking for BRB in Birmingham opened yesterday.  I’ve currently got very intermittent internet and decided to wait till I got home this evening.

I finally got some coverage on the coach and booked all the tickets I wanted in less than 10 minutes.  Mr Bank Manager was absolutely not amused!

I did notice a statement during the booking advising that if you were an access member you should log into your account first to see what was available in terms of access requirements.

BTW - good discounts for booking more than one show too.

I have to say am amazed at the popularity of the Pet Shop Boys had no idea they were such a thing!! 
Im afraid they passed me by when in their prime so am even less interested now! 
Id much prefer more visiting ballet or dance companies at ROH in August. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I have to say am amazed at the popularity of the Pet Shop Boys had no idea they were such a thing!! 

I bought their greatest hits CD about 30 years ago and just listen to that reasonably often. No interest in any of their later albums (I think they've got a new one out shortly) and if I'd not got an SCS I would've moved on and forgot all about it in about ten minutes 

19 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Me too. But at least it saves me money, and I hope it brings £££ to the ROH.

• Like 2

Oh, that's why I got into a 30-minute queue earlier, when trying to access tickets for this Saturday's matinee, is it?  Annoyingly, the sofa counted me down to 18 minutes, then, without any audible notification, when I next went on to the tab there was a pop-up message telling me that my access had started 5 minutes earlier!  The previously "available" tickets seemed to have disappeared again.