The ROH booking website - what can we do?

How come I use lots of complicated websites without any problems with never a thought for the browser?

ROH can't be serious that you have to consider such things in order to book a ticket or check an upcoming booking...

I have been quite slow to start moaning about this isssue, but, once started.....

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After "essential maintenance" this AM, the ROH has managed to remove the production title from the Friend's Rehearsal booking page.  Dates are all still there but not what's being rehearsed.  Does no one at the ROH ever check? 

Just received an email from The Friends which includes instructions on how best to book tickets online. I am copying this part here so that everyone can see what they say.

Two thoughts. First, perhaps these instructions are helpful and useful and will mean that there won’t be problems in the future, let’s hope so.

Second, after all that has happened in recent years, is the ROH really persisting with the cover story that there is nothing wrong with their awful website except that people use it the wrong way?

Friends' ENews New Insights announced!.png

Edited by Geoff

• 1 month later...

Just to say I notice a number of website issues coming up over the last day or two (including one or two new to me, they still keep showing skill at great innovation on the messing up front, well done the eager clever website elves!) These problems and idiotic marketing behaviour are discussed on anther thread, try scrolling down from around here:

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/27634-royal-ballet-casting-for-autumn-2023-24/?do=findComment&comment=418212

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, art_enthusiast said:

Is anyone else having difficulty returning tickets online?

I returned a DonQ yesterday without problems. Account credit showed up immediately. 

It does say my tickets for tomorrow's Limit cannot be canceled but that's because it is within 24 hours of the performance

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this is the right place to report a new (new at least to me) excitement with regard to online relations with the ROH. Today I received the standard email, telling me I was going to the performance on November 7 and here is my ticket. 

However I sadly had to return that ticket some weeks ago as I am working overseas. The credit is in my account. But what would happen if I was forgetful and let the ticket the ROH just sent me get used? Presumably two people for one seat? 

Incidentally this seat - in the amphitheatre slips - is now, according to the ROH email, costed at £150, which is quite a large mark up on what it originally cost. Perhaps that tells us something about ROH dynamic pricing (or the mystery of November 7)?

Or this is just another example of clumsiness on the part of those who manage the website? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Incidentally this seat - in the amphitheatre slips - is now, according to the ROH email, costed at £150, which is quite a large mark up on what it originally cost. Perhaps that tells us something about ROH dynamic pricing (or the mystery of November 7)?

Or this is just another example of clumsiness on the part of those who manage the website? 

Having read your post, Sebastian, I have just checked my e-tickets for 7 November that arrived in my email account at 7.04 this morning, and they are also now showing as £150. Curiouser and curiouser …

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Perhaps this is the right place to report a new (new at least to me) excitement with regard to online relations with the ROH. Today I received the standard email, telling me I was going to the performance on November 7 and here is my ticket. 

However I sadly had to return that ticket some weeks ago as I am working overseas. The credit is in my account. But what would happen if I was forgetful and let the ticket the ROH just sent me get used? Presumably two people for one seat? 

Did you get £150 credit?

Meanwhile, on the other side of the House, pricing for Jephtha (Dress tonight) looks almost suicidal. Possibly 55% of seats taken for Wednesday. Plenty of £200 and - the next level down - £193 available.

I know they were advertising for data analysis person/people a while ago, I wonder if the newcomers have got a little over-excited.

Anyway, someone's got a lot of *disappearing* to organise. Again.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, alison said:

Did you actually sit and count them, Peter, or is there some other facility I'm unaware of?

On my iPhone at least, if you:

click on a performance date 

click on ‘use our seatmap’

click on ‘filters’

the ‘price filter’ gives the number of seats still available for each price band

from there it’s easy to do a little mental arithmetic 🙂 which has the bonus of keeping my aging brain ticking over 

(if it’s way >100 I don’t bother)

Edited by PeterS
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Is the site down for everyone at the moment? Just checking it’s not me refreshing a specific performance which is blocking me…

Ticket booking at least appears not to be working.  Also can't log in to my account.

Edited by oncnp

On 13/11/2023 at 06:59, PeterS said:

The early performances of The Dante Project appear to have sold well. Only 3 tickets left for opening night 18 November as I write.

(22/11 = 123 tickets, 25/11 = 147 tickets)

Quite surprising given how many were unsold until relatively recently. 

We are carrying out essential maintenance work on our website between 8am–10.30am (GMT) on Wednesday 15 November 2023. If you encounter an error, please try again after a short while. We apologise for any inconvenience.

1 minute ago, Emeralds said:

Seems to be working again now  😀

Not exactly...for me at least. "You have exceeded your ticket limit"  for a performance I have not booked for

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Not exactly...for me at least. "You have exceeded your ticket limit"  for a performance I have not booked for

It does that to me on a normal basis 🤣. I just hop over to another performance, come back, and it seems to come to its senses. Getting used to this temperamental version of the website, although I wonder how they ever sell anything sometimes.....oh wait. 😄 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

The way this season‘s massed banks of unsold tickets disappear, again en masse, as part of the great giveaway (sorry, selective discounts). 

Yes -it looks as if, for the first two performances of Dante, the House has been 'papered'.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

The way this season‘s massed banks of unsold tickets disappear, again en masse, as part of the great giveaway (sorry, selective discounts). 

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes -it looks as if, for the first two performances of Dante, the House has been 'papered'.

Do you have any evidence to back these statements up? If so could you please provide it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

Do you have any evidence to back these statements up? If so could you please provide it. 

There has been undisputed evidence set out in posts regarding ticket sales for Don Q. I don’t think it’s too great a leap of the imagination to apply the same reasoning here.

Beyond that, it’s clear that we are falling into two camps here: on the one hand the apologists for the ROH management and marketing team and the highly paid consultants whose conclusions would appear to have been unreservedly adopted, and their critics on the other. 
We are all entitled to our views, and I am more than happy that you do not accept mine without question - would that the powers that be at the ROH exhibited the same questioning spirit! - but I do find the repeated pattern of a serial, last minute ticket sale frenzy somewhat unlikely, to say the least. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oncnp said:

It happens to me, never at the ROH, but ALWAYS at the Nederlands Nationale Opera and Ballet (Amsterdam). I book a seat, and when it comes to payment just 30 seconds later it says "your seat is no longer available".

Almost every time it is just an issue of browser: I have noticed that this happens almost always with Mozilla Firefox. If I start again the same booking, choosing the same seat, this time with Chrome, there is no issue anymore and I can pay for the seat I have chosen.

So perhaps it is the same issue at the ROH website?

Years ago the Paris Opera website was facing similar issues, to an extent that nobody could imagine (sometimes an empty auditorium was mentioned as sold out on the booking site... then available again 10 minutes later with hundreds of seats to chose...). Now they seem to have solved it, I do not hear anymore about those kind of issues.

Edited by Paco

47 minutes ago, Paco said:

It happens to me, never at the ROH, but ALWAYS at the Nederlands Nationale Opera and Ballet (Amsterdam). I book a seat, and when it comes to payment just 30 seconds later it says "your seat is no longer available".

Almost every time it is just an issue of browser: I have noticed that this happens almost always with Mozilla Firefox. If I start again the same booking, choosing the same seat, this time with Chrome, there is no issue anymore and I can pay for the seat I have chosen.

So perhaps it is the same issue at the ROH website?

Years ago the Paris Opera website was facing similar issues, to an extent that nobody could imagine (sometimes an empty auditorium was mentioned as sold out on the booking site... then available again 10 minutes later with hundreds of seats to chose...). Now they seem to have solved it, I do not hear anymore about those kind of issues.

I had the ‘you’ve exceeded….’ message for a couple of months on my work computer (Chrome) and deleting the cookies for the site specifically, repeatedly logging out etc…it didn’t work and I had to book or even just look at availability using an incognito window until a couple of weeks ago it suddenly started working properly