The ROH booking website - what can we do?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Blossom said:

Thanks @whatkindofbird. This isn’t the issue I have- I get a server error (503). 

It’s driving me insane as every time I check to see if seats are available for the (sold out) Nutcracker performance I want, I have to go through whats on searches…

Bookmark the relevant booking page? It has worked for me

12 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Bookmark the relevant booking page? It has worked for me

Have done so but it's completely frustrating when i need to find the next thing.

It doesn't matter which browser I'm using either.

Also finding my login won't work in a microsoft browser (so generally using chrome).

Not "Booking" as such but is anyone else finding the links to the details of individual RB dancers are no longer working?

I am getting this message:

Server error (error 503)

Sorry, it looks like we are having some server issues. Please return to the homepage or try again shortly.

Customer services  say they can access them, and have  suggested the following:

1. Clear your browser data and cache
  2. Use incognito mode to access our website
  3. Use a different browser
  4. Use a different device

but I have tried all these to no effect. 

I spoke to the Box Office while I was moving some tickets around. They are apparently fully aware that the search function doesn't work and suggest going the 'long way' around through the navigation. Apparently it's all going through some updates. Not sure that really validates the problems so hope it's sorted soon!

• Like 1

I was looking this morning …in case I do have to give up on this Tuesdays Nutcracker ….now because of the weather as well as the strikes as the only travelling days don’t look too good at the moment… to book an alternative date but even when it says 16 tickets are available when you go into the seat map nothing comes up. 
Even if you look an hour later it still says 16 are available but nothing comes up when you try to book and don’t feel people can be holding tickets in their baskets for that long!! 
Perhaps it’s not working properly this morning 🙄

6 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I was looking this morning …in case I do have to give up on this Tuesdays Nutcracker ….now because of the weather as well as the strikes as the only travelling days don’t look too good at the moment… to book an alternative date but even when it says 16 tickets are available when you go into the seat map nothing comes up. 
Even if you look an hour later it still says 16 are available but nothing comes up when you try to book and don’t feel people can be holding tickets in their baskets for that long!! 
Perhaps it’s not working properly this morning 🙄

Not just this AM - I have been looking all week for a better ticket for 17/12 and have had this happen every time it shows availability. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

indeed so - looks like Mr Cockup has come to town...

again. Or perhaps they are updating?

The pages about our artists, creatives and staff are regularly updated. Some of these pages will become unavailable for a period of time.

Edited by oncnp

Yes it’s very haphazard at the moment with some dancers profiles listed and some come up with that error message! I was trying to look up a few of the younger dancers ( though most recent Aud Jebsens dancers all seem to be there) the other night and certainly could not get all of the ones I was looking for…mainly to check when they actually joined the Company. 

Tried to pick up a couple of returned tickets for tonight's Nutcracker earlier today.  Website wouldn't allow me to take both of them because apparently I was leaving a single ticket in between.  Not unless they've started numbering their seats something-and-a-half, I wasn't :(

On 10/01/2023 at 15:53, alison said:

Tried to pick up a couple of returned tickets for tonight's Nutcracker earlier today.  Website wouldn't allow me to take both of them because apparently I was leaving a single ticket in between.  Not unless they've started numbering their seats something-and-a-half, I wasn't :(

were you trying to buy seats next to each other? very odd.

I also hope this doesn’t mean single theatre goers are penalised. I know other venues do have a system where they won’t allow you to buy one single ticket if it leaves one remaining, forcing to you to buy one in a further away location which happens to have two next to it rather than one? Very annoying, each ticket is priced exactly the same so not sure singles should be disadvantaged! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JNC said:

were you trying to buy seats next to each other? very odd.

I also hope this doesn’t mean single theatre goers are penalised. I know other venues do have a system where they won’t allow you to buy one single ticket if it leaves one remaining, forcing to you to buy one in a further away location which happens to have two next to it rather than one? Very annoying, each ticket is priced exactly the same so not sure singles should be disadvantaged! 

In respect of other venues I've found that the box office staff can be far more accommodating than trying to book through the website.

• Like 2

This has never happened to me with ROH before and I always get single tickets - I hope this isn’t some new rule they’ve introduced, has anyone emailed to ask?

It happened to me when I tried to book for the Nureyev Gala at Theatre Royal, but only when 2 seats were left on that side of the row. Had to call them to resolve it.

13 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

This has never happened to me with ROH before and I always get single tickets - I hope this isn’t some new rule they’ve introduced, has anyone emailed to ask?

As I said above, the ROH online booking system does not have a restriction on leaving single seats.  I have just been through the process, leaving a single seat, and there were no issues whatsoever.

I had this same message pop up on two occasions when trying to purchase two tickets. Both times, it ended up that one of the tickets was actually no longer available (or was in someone else’s basket). I assumed that had prompted the strange message and I just put it down to a glitch/slightly odd set-up for that type of situation. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t understand why if someone has a seat placed in their basket it can’t be shown to be off sale even if the person has yet to finally buy it. It’s not as if they can hold on to the ticket for that long and is so much easier for others if they don’t end up trying to “double” buy one which may be showing as available. 

• Like 4

To be fair, I wasn't being prevented from buying it, the website merely pointed out that I'd be leaving a ("phantom") seat between my two purchases and suggested I reconsider, or words to that effect.  OTOH, I wasn't actually able to buy the second seat as well, but I suspect that was because someone else had grabbed it in the meantime, rather than anything else.

Thanks for the clarification! I can relax!

I agree it’s frustrating to see a seat as available only to get the error message it’s not when you try to add to basket. I’ll forgive roh this one as I appreciate multiple people trying to process the same thing probably is confusing for the system! 

Yes I suspect the opening of booking days could be a bit of a nightmare. 
I have rarely had this problem myself when booking tickets as I always leave it a few hours or so and sometimes even until the following day before trying to book. 

Was very confused with Friday Rush today, given that I was trying to book for Monday's Sleeping Beauty.  Nothing showed up for several minutes, even with me refreshing regularly, and then finally the restricted-view Stalls Circle ones and rear Amphitheatre ones suddenly appeared, but no sign of the standing places at all.  Very strange.  :(

• 3 weeks later...

The ROH really needs to get its website sorted out - these persistent 503 errors (on Sleeping Beauty booking, at least) will not do.  Obviously some people are able to get past them, since I can see that tickets have disappeared, but it's very hit-and-miss.

• Like 2

Not necessarily booking related but the website’s search function has been down for a few days. Given I find the new website un-user friendly for finding shows (lots of clicks and scrolling via “what’s on”) I tended to rely on the search function. I now directly use google to type (for example) roh sleeping beauty.

Not ideal, and not sure why it’s broken/taking so long to fix.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alison said:

The ROH really needs to get its website sorted out - these persistent 503 errors (on Sleeping Beauty booking, at least) will not do.  Obviously some people are able to get past them, since I can see that tickets have disappeared, but it's very hit-and-miss.

On the plus side I think someone got a bargain this afternoon, possible from a website error. One of the Grand Tier boxes (usually £151 -161/seat) was listed for £51/seat and pretty quickly disappeared. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I clicked on Friday rush for the performance I was after bang on 1pm only to immediately get a performance sold out message. After 5 minutes of refreshing & looking at other performances to see if they were showing rush tickets - which they were - the rush tickets for the performance I wanted suddenly appeared. Given all 10 of the stalls circle seats popped up together I doubt it was that they'd all been sitting in other people's baskets for 5 mins & I can only assume that for some reason the ROH's system didn't make them available until 5 minutes later than they should have been. I got the ticket I wanted but could have done without the 5 minutes of stress beforehand!

PS It looks like the dancer biography pages are finally reappearing, albeit slowly. A few days ago only Ball's was up. Now all the Principals' are up except Muntagirov. There's a nice "action shot" for each dancer but no headshots. At this rate in a month or two they should have got to the Artists, who are the ones I usually want to check online as they don't get biographies in programmes.

• Like 2

I tried a dummy run of Friday rush last week and was surprised to find that seats seemed to be released by day so the Sleeping Beauty performances I was checking only appeared after Monday’s Tannhauser. All seems a bit odd when so many tickets are released at the same time for standard booking periods. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

PS It looks like the dancer biography pages are finally reappearing, albeit slowly. A few days ago only Ball's was up. Now all the Principals' are up except Muntagirov. There's a nice "action shot" for each dancer but no headshots. At this rate in a month or two they should have got to the Artists, who are the ones I usually want to check online as they don't get biographies in programmes.

this is good news! 

I’ve been hoping they may refresh the principal postcards photos as I think some new ones to refresh the longer standing principals and add to the newer principals would be good.

that’s if they even sell them in the shop anymore, I don’t remember seeing them on my last visit but I could have missed them.