The ROH booking website - what can we do?

Let's hope the website hasn't cocked this up ...So I just checked the cast list and it seems we will have Fumi (Beatrice) and Billy Bracewell (Dante) for the Dress tomorrow, with Gary Avis as Virgil.

Merry Christmas :)

• Like 3

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ROH seems to have got itself confused as to which upcoming performances I have booked for. I've had an email informing me of a cast change for Cav & Pag even though I haven't booked for it. (I do intend to try to get a rush ticket but the ROH can't know that.) Meanwhile I'm still awaiting a cast change email for the Nutcracker performance that I do already have a ticket for!

21 hours ago, postie said:

Let's hope the website hasn't cocked this up ...So I just checked the cast list and it seems we will have Fumi (Beatrice) and Billy Bracewell (Dante) for the Dress tomorrow, with Gary Avis as Virgil.

Merry Christmas :)

Interesting that the first cast is also doing the rehearsal, isn’t it normally the other way around?

Might as well put this here, I guess:

"Alert (24/11/23 06:00 GMT)

We are carrying out essential maintenance work on our website between 6am–10.30am (GMT) on Friday 24 November 2023. If you encounter an error, please try again after a short while. We apologise for any inconvenience."

and now a phone issue with the box office on the first day of Spring booking......

ALERT (29/11/23 07:00 GMT)

We are aware that telephone calls from some mobile networks are not connecting to our Box Office line.  If you are affected, please call our General Enquiries line +44 20 7240 1200 and select the option for 'Box Office'

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to see Cav & Pag next week so I've checked the ROH's website a number of times in the last few days in case a suitable return should appear for the date I'm after, which it hasn't. Each of the upcoming performances have been showing 100+ tickets up until lunchtime today. Now I see tonight's performance is down to only a handful of tickets & all the £150+ stalls tickets that haven't budged for days are gone. There must have been a significant price reduction. What I'd love to know is if the discount was in house only, or Young ROH only, or was it available to the general public? If the latter then I'll be spending the next few days frantically refreshing the ROH's website in the hope a similar reduction appears for next week's performances. What I don't want to do is to have to spend £65 that I don't really have at the moment on a restricted view Friday rush ticket only to find I could have got a stalls ticket for considerably less. So if anyone knows anything about who any price reductions have been & are likely to be open to then I'd really appreciate the information.

• Like 4

Yes, I got that, followed by the sofa with the estimated wait time going up & down like a yo-yo. Fortunately it seems no-one other than me is desparate to get stalls circle Cav & Pag rush tickets as when I got in 5 minutes later all the tickets were still available. It does not bode well for next week though when I'll be trying for The Nutcracker.

By the way, I think I answered my own question from yesterday when about an hour ago a stalls ticket for tonight's Cav & Pag appeared on the website showing at £236 for me. Given it disappeared rapidly, presumably someone more fortunate than me picked it up for somewhere around a tenth of that. So it looks like whatever discounting is going on is not available to the general public. I find it depressing that on Monday I'll be sitting in my £65 restricted view bench seat looking down at the stalls partially filled with a couple of hundred people (there are currently 210 unsold stalls seats, plus goodness knows how many others in the other tiers) who will have paid a lot less than me for a much better view.

ETA: I've just tried to have a look at this coming week's Nutcrackers, to see if the rush tickets went as quickly as I assumed they would, only to find that tomorrow evening's performance isn't showing up in the drop down list on the seat maps. It can't be because it's sold out as plenty of other performances that are sold out are showing up. I noticed the same issue with a Don Q performance when I was getting rush tickets for that (fortunately the missing performance wasn't one I was trying to get tickets for). I wonder what the ROH website is doing that is making performances vanish at random.

Edited by Dawnstar
Added last paragraph.
  • Like 3

I do hope the ROH sort out their phone line issues soon so they can remove the alert from their website. I was trying to save a couple of cast sheets as .pdfs only to find that the alert shows up at the the top of them. As I don't want the alert saved for years to come, I'm waiting for it to disappear.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alison said:

You did better than I did, then!  I got 19 minutes.  Eventually got in after 14 minutes.  All sold out.  So I still haven't managed to get a ticket for Nutcracker before Christmas :( 

Loads of tickets have come up for the 20th mat. on my feed.

Today's Friday rush was quite weird at my end. I only got home just before 1pm so at 1pm I was still waiting for the Wifi to come on so tried going onto the ROH website on my phone in the meantime, got onto the Friday rush page as it ticked over to available, & got a 10 minute wait time. Then my Wifi came on so I tried on one browser & got a 7 minute wait time and another browser gave a 14 minute wait time. All of these wait times were jumping around but none of them looked like they were about to give me access. So I decided to try going into the performance I wanted directly, though I wasn't expecting it to work. However it let me get straight in & all 5 rush tickets on the side of the stalls circle that I was after were still available. I snapped one up & was paid & confirmed while the other 3 queues were still queuing. I can only assume the tickets were still there several minutes after 1pm because everyone else was stuck in queues too!

Now I just have to hope I can actually use the ticket as the reason why I was only just home by 1pm was because I spend the morning at my local A&E trying to get a painfully blocked tear duct seen to. I have to go back at 7pm this evening to go to the eye clinic so I really hope they can sort it out as at the moment I'm in too much pain to be able to enjoy a performance.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Today's Friday rush was quite weird at my end. I only got home just before 1pm so at 1pm I was still waiting for the Wifi to come on so tried going onto the ROH website on my phone in the meantime, got onto the Friday rush page as it ticked over to available, & got a 10 minute wait time. Then my Wifi came on so I tried on one browser & got a 7 minute wait time and another browser gave a 14 minute wait time. All of these wait times were jumping around but none of them looked like they were about to give me access. So I decided to try going into the performance I wanted directly, though I wasn't expecting it to work. However it let me get straight in & all 5 rush tickets on the side of the stalls circle that I was after were still available. I snapped one up & was paid & confirmed while the other 3 queues were still queuing. I can only assume the tickets were still there several minutes after 1pm because everyone else was stuck in queues too!

Very pleased for Dawnstar that she has a ticket (and hope you can use it!) But not so pleased to hear about what is clearly a serious glitch in the system. I wonder if we have all been too sanguine about the mystery of the jumping around queuing times (which I have experienced several times over the last months) It seems there may be yet another issue with the website that is not being attended to. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Now I just have to hope I can actually use the ticket as the reason why I was only just home by 1pm was because I spend the morning at my local A&E trying to get a painfully blocked tear duct seen to. I have to go back at 7pm this evening to go to the eye clinic so I really hope they can sort it out as at the moment I'm in too much pain to be able to enjoy a performance.

I hope you can go, Dawnstar! And that they help about your eye this evening.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Very pleased for Dawnstar that she has a ticket (and hope you can use it!) But not so pleased to hear about what is clearly a serious glitch in the system. I wonder if we have all been too sanguine about the mystery of the jumping around queuing times (which I have experienced several times over the last months) It seems there may be yet another issue with the website that is not being attended to. 

I must point out that last week, when trying to get a rush ticket for Cav & Pag, I tried going directly into the performance only for the rush tickets not to show up. They only showed up when I went in via the Friday rush page. So what worked today is certainly not an infalliable way of getting rush tickets. I have also tried being already on the seating plan page before 1pm and refreshing at 1pm, which sometimes brings up the rush tickets and sometimes does not. As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be a single best way of getting rush tickets, the successful route seems to vary on different Fridays!

• Like 2

I see right now the performance I booked for, Wednesday 20th, still has a single side stalls circle rush ticket available. So maybe I was able to get a ticket not because everyone else was stuck in a queue but because everyone else was fighting over tickets for the other Nutcracker performances next week & for some reason this one was less in demand.

• Like 1

Agree with Dawnstar.  I've tried most routes, although today, since I was aiming for multiple Nutcrackers, the Friday Rush page wasn't any good, as it forced you to pick one, without even telling you what the casting was.  So I tried getting in from the main Nutcracker page.  Wonder if I'd gone for a less-popular performance than the Naghdi/Ball one I might have got in earlier?  Who knows?

• Like 1

If anyone is looking for the 19th Nutcracker I have a ticket for this D.34 in the Balcony 

I haven’t offered this one for sale in the ticket section as will have to return  to box office tomorrow so not much time it’s £108 though!