Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

2 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Maybe they did, there are plenty of parent aged people viewing the ball from the balcony area.

In which case I would expect the girls’ costumes to be a complementary rather than identical set, and for family groups to feature in the entrance and exit scene.

• Like 2

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, RuthE said:

In which case I would expect the girls’ costumes to be a complementary rather than identical set, and for family groups to feature in the entrance and exit scene.

Is it possible that they all tuned up straight from a full day of studies at Verona Community College and they're in uniform? I guess it's down to the same reason a load of princesses all turn up in the same outfit in Act 3 of the previous Swan Lake. The ROH should perhaps have a Juliet's Friends' Wardrobe Appeal

The entrance and exit scene is long enough without featuring people that I assume turned up earlier. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 8

Yes, I've sometimes wondered why they're costumed identically in Act I. You can understand it in Act III, as they're presumably going to be Juliet's bridesmaids, but in real life you'd expect a group of teenage girls to be horrified to find they've all turned up to a ball in the same dress!

• Like 5

I’m not sure if this has been previously discussed on the forum but something I’ve been wondering about for a long time is the way that a certain lift is done in the Balcony Scene which the Royal Ballet do differently to most other companies (judging by pictures posted by various photographers, dancers etc. on the internet, social media etc.)

It’s about hallway through the Balcony PDD where Romeo kneels and lifts Juliet up and down three times (sorry don’t know the technical name for this!). In photos of the RB and what I’ve seen in performance, Juliet does not support herself on Romeo’s shoulder but in pictures from other companies she does.

Is the way that the RB does it how it was originally choreographed or is it more difficult/awkward to do at the end of a very exhausting Act 1 so other companies choose not to? Very small thing but it’s always been curious about it!!

Photo’s of the moment linked here: Royal Ballet 1st pic in this article https://www.london-unattached.com/romeo-and-juliet-royal-ballet-roh-review/ // BRB here: https://www.seeingdance.com/brb-romeo-and-juliet-27062018/ // ABT here: https://archives.danceviewtimes.com/2006/Summer/03/abt10.html

Hmm, I wonder how representative those photos are?  Certainly in the Vishneva picture I'd have thought that, given how far back Romeo's hands are, she might have fallen forward without the hand on his shoulder in support.  Possibly the same with Gittens in the BRB photo.  I don't remember ever registering anything like that in any performance of that production that I've seen (that's not to say that it hasn't happened, of course).

8 minutes ago, EVWS said:

I’m not sure if this has been previously discussed on the forum but something I’ve been wondering about for a long time is the way that a certain lift is done in the Balcony Scene which the Royal Ballet do differently to most other companies (judging by pictures posted by various photographers, dancers etc. on the internet, social media etc.)

It’s about hallway through the Balcony PDD where Romeo kneels and lifts Juliet up and down three times (sorry don’t know the technical name for this!). In photos of the RB and what I’ve seen in performance, Juliet does not support herself on Romeo’s shoulder but in pictures from other companies she does.

Is the way that the RB does it how it was originally choreographed or is it more difficult/awkward to do at the end of a very exhausting Act 1 so other companies choose not to? Very small thing but it’s always been curious about it!!

I'm sure Darcey Bussell posted a pic the other day of her doing that bit (with Bolle?) and she had her left hand on his shoulder too  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

(…edited to add: and also, how realistic is it that all six of them, as the only young girls at the party besides Juliet, get through the whole evening without either Mercutio or Benvolio trying his luck…)

Exceedingly unlikely.  Especially with Mercutio. 

• Like 5

Well, there is flirtation between the boys and the friends as they descend the staircase.  Maybe if they hadn’t had to keep such a careful eye on Romeo and then had to hustle him out quickly, they might have been able to pursue things a bit further!

I have asked someone, who would know, about the masks at the ball.  They said that it has no meaning whatsoever, but that the non-maskers are always put in the same position on the stage, so whatever the casting, those who are mapped onto those positions on the stage will not wear masks.  It's just the design... maybe to mix things up a bit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Francisco Serrano as Mercutio, David Donnelly as Benvolio, Gary Avis as Tybalt and Reece Clarke as Paris for the matinee.

I was already regeretting that I can't see this cast, as I'd like to see Hamilton's Juliet again. I'm now regertting it even more with this supporting cast.

• Like 2

Add my name to the list! I'm in Covent Garden ready for the matinée and very much looking forward! I haven't seen Hamilton's Juliet before so won't have anything to compare to, but she is another dancer who's had guidance from Ferri in rehearsing the role. Will be interesting to see the result! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCL said:

I was excited anyway but Reece Clarke as Paris sounds particularly intriguing.

There was a rehearsal streaming before the 2019 run with him as Paris & I really liked what he was like in the role in that. Then he got injured & didn't actually do the role so this might be his debut. Unless anyone knows if he did the role back in 2015? If this is his debut then it must be quite unusual for a dancer to do Romeo before doing Paris!

• Like 2

Hamilton gave everything as Juliet this afternoon. Her journey from wide-eyed innocent in Act 1 through the ecstasy of falling in love with Romeo to her anguish and isolation in Act 3 was heart-rending. Hirano was a dreamy, boyish Romeo in Act 1 and once he had met Juliet, ardent and impassioned. Great chemistry between them. I also very much enjoyed Gary Avis as Tybalt and the dazzling Mercutio of Francisco Serrano - wow! What a lovely way to spend my day off

• Like 12

Totally agree CCL, a really incredible performance from Melissa Hamilton this afternoon, capturing the emotion of every scene perfectly. Everything she did was great, but I found her arms in particular exceptionally expressive. And yes, boyish Romeo was just the phrase I had in mind for Hirano, who also danced wonderfully! 

It was my first time seeing Avis as Tybalt in person. Such a deep and different interpretation to those I've seen before - it felt like a separate story could be written about the emotions he went through. 

Also enjoyed Nadia Mullova-Barley's harlot. And agree that Serrano was great as Mercutio! 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, CCL said:

Hamilton gave everything as Juliet this afternoon. Her journey from wide-eyed innocent in Act 1 through the ecstasy of falling in love with Romeo to her anguish and isolation in Act 3 was heart-rending. 

Exactly that. I had expected her to be good as she was an outstanding Mary Vetsera with Rupert Pennefather, but the dramatic depth she found & how clearly expressed was gorgeous & that's as well as her beautiful dancing- those arabesques, those expressive arms & that deep, expressive back in her duets were captivating. I bought a ticket to her next performance next week- can't wait!!! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I was already regeretting that I can't see this cast, as I'd like to see Hamilton's Juliet again. I'm now regertting it even more with this supporting cast.

I would like to apologise for managing to mis-spell "regretting" twice, and in 2 different ways, within as many sentences!

I see Hay is Mercutio tonight so I really hope it'll be the same cast with McRae & Lamb on 25th so I'll finally get to see his Mercutio.

• Like 3

Stunning pics as always, Rob and I'm so envious of all you lucky people who were there. Like Morera, I've always thought Melissa Hamilton was one of those underused dancers who are capable of giving so much but seldom seem to get the chance to shine in the major classical works. I'd love to see more of her and not just in the Macmillan roles but in the Romantic roles like Giselle and classical roles too. Kevin seems to give so many dancers the chance to extend their range of roles yet others like Melissa don't always seem to be given the chances they deserve. I thought the same of Erico Montes and Romany Padjak but at least Romany did get promoted eventually and now has the chance to dance better roles. Similarly,  Francisco Serrano whom I first noticed as a very energetic beggar in Don Q and since then have been looking out for him in whatever ballet I'm seeing. Keep hoping he will be promoted and great to hear he has shone in a role as demanding as Mercutio. Let's hope it's the start of great things for him, starting with a promotion in September.

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I would like to apologise for managing to mis-spell "regretting" twice, and in 2 different ways, within as many sentences!

Dawnstar I hadn't even noticed!  I read years ago that if the first and last letters are correct then people can still read the word (without noticing the spelling).

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Dawnstar I hadn't even noticed!  I read years ago that if the first and last letters are correct then people can still read the word (without noticing the spelling).

Unfortunately that's probably why I didn't notice the errors when I was typing! (A tanget but does anyone else find on Twitter that if you ever get a retweet it's always of a tweet that you then find you've made a typo in?!)

Just now, Dawnstar said:

Unfortunately that's probably why I didn't notice the errors when I was typing! (A tanget but does anyone else find on Twitter that if you ever get a retweet it's always of a tweet that you then find you've made a typo in?!)

All the time!!

• Like 1