Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d managed to buy a return for the front row of the GT at yesterday’s matinee and had a lovely view. I wasn’t sure what to expect from a Cuthbertson/Ball pairing but I thought they were absolutely gorgeous together. A terrific performance from everyone which left me feeling very emotional as I left the house and I very much hope that R&J returns soon. As others have said, we have been so fortunate to see such wonderful casts this season.

I’m now wondering who I’ll be lucky enough to see at the Swan Lake Friends rehearsal!

@JennyTaylor If you went to Manchester to see the match I think you did, I know you will have had a wonderful time. The boys in my house were very happy when I arrived home after the ballet!

• Like 6

We saw the repeat of the streamed performance this afternoon - and I must say that the Sambé/O'Sullivan partnership was as good as any I've seen, with the entire company and orchestra in grand form.

However, is my memory playing up?  The market scenes in Acts 1 and 2 seemed nocturnal, whereas I'd swear they're normally played out on a bright sunny Italian day.  And those first 2-3 minutes at the start centring around Rosaline, why don't I recall seeing them before?  Am I betraying an unfamiliarity with the piece?

48 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

However, is my memory playing up?  The market scenes in Acts 1 and 2 seemed nocturnal, whereas I'd swear they're normally played out on a bright sunny Italian day.  And those first 2-3 minutes at the start centring around Rosaline, why don't I recall seeing them before?  Am I betraying an unfamiliarity with the piece?

I think the first scene is the start of the day (Rosaline on her walk, before the market opens up for the day) - and that's always been there since I've seen it. Otherwise, think it must be the continuing trend of gloom, rather than lighting, design

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

We saw the repeat of the streamed performance this afternoon - and I must say that the Sambé/O'Sullivan partnership was as good as any I've seen, with the entire company and orchestra in grand form.

Yes, the Rosaline scenes have always been there.  It introduces us to the fact that Romeo is besotted with her, so much so that he and his friends sneak into the Capulets’ ball so that he can pursue her, which he does…until he sees Juliet.  That’s what makes his coup de foudre so believable…fully intent on Rosaline, he forgets her in an instant when he sees Juliet.  My favourite Rosalines are the ones who show some annoyance at this;  having played hard to get and not being interested, she nevertheless doesn’t appreciate being sidelined in favour of another girl!

• Like 6

Sim: Thanks - it may be that the much watched 'Beyond Words' film version has taken me over.

And may I add:  Please can we have Katie Derham as Presenter for all future ROH shows.  She's knowledgeable and fluent - and managed to slip in a handful of Shakespeare's lines from the play.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Sim: Thanks - it may be that the much watched 'Beyond Words' film version has taken me over.

And may I add:  Please can we have Katie Derham as Presenter for all future ROH shows.  She's knowledgeable and fluent - and managed to slip in a handful of Shakespeare's lines from the play.  

I liked Katie Derham too, and I think Darcey Bussell is much better suited to the more informal chats with dancers that she does so well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I liked Katie Derham too, and I think Darcey Bussell is much better suited to the more informal chats with dancers that she does so well.

Agree.  I like the way KD presents the Proms, as well.  

• Like 2

I must try and catch up with it tomorrow: can anyone tell me whether the intervals run for their full length, or whether they've been truncated a bit?  I'm not used to the ROH "livestreams" not being live"

Oh, and I must briefly say how good I thought Lauren Cuthbertson was (along with Matthew Ball) on Saturday - she's so musical, as well as being intensely moving. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DanJL said:

The first interval is possibly a little truncated, although I didn't check the time that closely. The second is removed completely however, they run straight from act 2 to act 3 with just a quick voice over from Katie Derham. 

Thanks.  That may make a difference, timing-wise.

• Like 1

I'm dithering over whether to go to Thursday or Friday's performance this week. I originally booked for Friday to see McRae as Romeo but, assuming Thursday's secondary cast will be the same as it was on Saturday, I'd really like to see Mock as Tybalt. Has anyone seen both casts & could give an opinion as to which is "best"?

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm dithering over whether to go to Thursday or Friday's performance this week. I originally booked for Friday to see McRae as Romeo but, assuming Thursday's secondary cast will be the same as it was on Saturday, I'd really like to see Mock as Tybalt. Has anyone seen both casts & could give an opinion as to which is "best"?

Obviously this is very very very subjective, but I think I'd go to Ball & Cuthbertson over McRae & Lamb. Wonderful dancers as they are, Romeo and Juliet are not necessarily McRae's and Lamb's finest roles (on the emotional rather than technical side of things), while Ball and Cuthbertson are really strong together. 

As for the supporting cast, I thought David Yudes' first act was not the best but he did much better in the second one, although it was a debut and he can only improve with time; James Hay's Mercutio, on the other hand, is fabulous. Tomas Mock is a fine Tybalt and very much similar to Bennet Gartside: not as good as Ball or Avis, but (imho!) better than Thomas Whitehead. Speaking of Saturday's cast, I really liked Reece Clarke as Paris: the previous week I had been slightly underwhelmed by his debut next to Hirano and Hamilton, but I was very impressed by how much he improved after just a couple of performances. If he gets promoted to principal we might not see his Paris again so better catch it while we can!

They're both very fine cast, but personally I'd go for the Ball & Cuthbertson cast over the McRae & Lamb's one, even just to see fresher/budding performances. 

• Like 9

Thanks @AnticaFiamma. I did see Cuthbertson/Ball the first time I saw the MacMillan R&J in 2019 & can't say I was that moved by them but as it was my first time I was trying to take in the production overall so I'm sure I missed lots of details. I also saw Lamb in 2019, though obviously not McRae. So a lot of my decision is about the supporting cast...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I personally would pick Lamb and McRae (and did, haha) - I have seen Cuthbertson and Ball in R&J but both partnering other principals.

If you’ve already seen both C&B, and you’ve never seen Steven McRae at all, you won’t be disappointed - for me, he was the first Romeo I’d seen who really lit up Act 2, which used to feel a bit like filler until Mercutio and Tybalt began their duel, and he was incredible in Act 1 and 3 as well- the exuberance and passion of the character really suit his style of dancing and his strengths.  

It’s possible Tomas Mock might be cast as Lamb and McRae’s Tybalt too! (I expect Tomas would be dancing Tybalt in future so there could be more opportunities to see him.)

The question is, which performance  are you more desperately keen to see - Mock as Tybalt or McRae as Romeo....  😊

Alternatively, Dawnstar, can you a) go to both, or b) wait till the casting comes out to see which day Mock is scheduled to dance Tybalt?

• Like 2

On 21/02/2022 at 09:13, Ian Macmillan said:

Having finally managed to catch up with the cinema showing, I couldn't agree more.  Can I also say how much I appreciated the chance to see people's reactions in the sort of close-up detail you can usually only get from the front rows of the stalls?  James Hay's Mercutio was particularly vivid, particularly his death scene, but I also liked the moment at the ball when the Capulet parents, at the back of the stage, were getting noticeably concerned about Juliet's fascination with Romeo, at the expense of Paris.  I'm sure they do it every time, but this time was probably the first that I'd noticed it.

However, my one gripe remains the post-ballroom scene, where the focus is still on Romeo and Tybalt's face-off, not on Juliet's nurse revealing Romeo's identity to her.  So we switch to Juliet's face and have no idea why she is suddenly looking so concerned, when she was much happier earlier.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Emeralds said:

The question is, which performance  are you more desperately keen to see - Mock as Tybalt or McRae as Romeo....  😊

Alternatively, Dawnstar, can you a) go to both, or b) wait till the casting comes out to see which day Mock is scheduled to dance Tybalt?

Therein lies my dilemma! I've been strictly forbidden to go 2 night in a row. I'm assuming the casting for 24th will be the same as 19th & that for 25th will be the same as 9th. Given casting isn't put on the website til about 5pm & I have to leave at 5pm in order to get down to London in time, if the casts turn out to be completely different then it'll be too late for me to change my mind!

1 hour ago, alison said:

James Hay should be dancing Mercutio in the McRae cast, I think, in case that influences your choice at all.

It merely makes it more of a dilemma! If only I could cherry pick from both casts!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Therein lies my dilemma! I've been strictly forbidden to go 2 night in a row. I'm assuming the casting for 24th will be the same as 19th & that for 25th will be the same as 9th. Given casting isn't put on the website til about 5pm & I have to leave at 5pm in order to get down to London in time, if the casts turn out to be completely different then it'll be too late for me to change my mind!

It merely makes it more of a dilemma! If only I could cherry pick from both casts!

I only have one other solution left - the 21st century one. See if they are on Instagram/Facebook and ask them which dates they are dancing. 😊 

On 21/02/2022 at 09:13, Ian Macmillan said:

Katie Derham loves, loves, loves ballet and knows tons about dance, opera, classical music, theatre, and of course, is one of the best presenters and interviewers on Radio 3. I was extremely disappointed that, having seen her do a stellar job presenting the Back On Stage broadcast for the Royal Opera, that she wasn’t scheduled for the Royal Ballet one. Yet she still graciously did a PR “plug” on Radio 3  for the screening and urged all her listeners to watch it, even though she hadn’t been given the gig. A vote from me for Katie Derham to present future live relays too! My other choices if Ms Derham isn’t available would be Leanne Cope, Kristen McNally or Alexander Campbell (performing commitments allowing!) - they’ve been brilliant at presenting RB Insight/Rehearsal events in the past.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

I only have one other solution left - the 21st century one. See if they are on Instagram/Facebook and ask them which dates they are dancing. 😊 

I did look up Mock on Instagram but while he has an account it's not active. I can't very well message every other possible Tybalt to ask when they're not dancing!!

• Like 1

Just by the way - Katie Derham was one of the contestants in a conducting series on BBC TV, at least 10 years ago, I'm sure.  Her trainer was, I believe, one of the previous Directors of the Cambridge Philharmonic before I joined the Chorus in 2003.  Long story short, she was invited to conduct part of one of our concerts at that time - one of the Opera nights, I think - so dare I say I've felt a personal bond ever since!  She did pretty well in the show but unfortunately, didn't win.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Katie Derham loves, loves, loves ballet and knows tons about dance, opera, classical music, theatre, and of course, is one of the best presenters and interviewers on Radio 3. I was extremely disappointed that, having seen her do a stellar job presenting the Back On Stage broadcast for the Royal Opera, that she wasn’t scheduled for the Royal Ballet one. Yet she still graciously did a PR “plug” on Radio 3  for the screening and urged all her listeners to watch it, even though she hadn’t been given the gig. A vote from me for Katie Derham to present future live relays too! My other choices if Ms Derham isn’t available would be Leanne Cope, Kristen McNally or Alexander Campbell (performing commitments allowing!) - they’ve been brilliant at presenting RB Insight/Rehearsal events in the past.

Leanne Cope. Superb chairing a few insight evenings. Question from the audience“can you spot a Royal Ballerina very early on” The great and the good on the panel didn’t seem to want to answer. Of course you can replied Miss Cope. The moment I walked into my first class at White Lodge, I knew Lauren Cuthbertson would be one

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Leanne Cope. Superb chairing a few insight evenings. Question from the audience“can you spot a Royal Ballerina very early on” The great and the good on the panel didn’t seem to want to answer. Of course you can replied Miss Cope. The moment I walked into my first class at White Lodge, I knew Lauren Cuthbertson would be one

That sweet and generous answer is typical of Leanne Cope. She was such a huge hit with audiences and fans while performing in An American in Paris on Broadway. They really do appreciate their artists.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Emeralds said:

yes, the RB/ROH seem to have their own favourites, which aren't always ours! Good choices at the end there, but performance (and so rehearsal) schedules may not permit, and once finished performing, doing a presentation job 4-5 times a year won't keep the wolf from the door sadly

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I did look up Mock on Instagram but while he has an account it's not active. I can't very well message every other possible Tybalt to ask when they're not dancing!!

If it’s any help, casting for the final three R&J shows was added to the dancers’ personal ROH profiles yesterday afternoon. I often check there as casting seems to appear there at least a day before the cast list is published.

If you go through the dancers’ ROH profiles, there seems to be three Mercutios (Acri, Hay and Yudes, as expected), three Paris (Donnelly, Mock and Edmonds), and two Tybalts (Mock and Gartside - I think Gartside played Tybalt in both Magri/Richardson and Lamb/McRae shows previously). There’s of course no way of knowing whether they’ll dance these roles in the same cast as previously, but it’s probably quite likely. Of course, with Covid, no casting is final…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eleena said:

If it’s any help, casting for the final three R&J shows was added to the dancers’ personal ROH profiles yesterday afternoon. I often check there as casting seems to appear there at least a day before the cast list is published.

Do you know for sure that they were added yesterday afternoon? It seems a strange use of the inputter's time to list casting info there (given the note at the top of each dancer's page) when they still haven't created pages for the latest Aud Jebsen dancers.

Beatriz Stix-Brunell's page is interesting, not just because she is still mentioned on the dancers page but her page has  been updated to say she is a former dancer and yet she is listed as being a big swan in the upcoming Swan Lake.

28 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Do you know for sure that they were added yesterday afternoon? It seems a strange use of the inputter's time to list casting info there (given the note at the top of each dancer's page) when they still haven't created pages for the latest Aud Jebsen dancers.

Beatriz Stix-Brunell's page is interesting, not just because she is still mentioned on the dancers page but her page has  been updated to say she is a former dancer and yet she is listed as being a big swan in the upcoming Swan Lake.

I checked yesterday morning and there was no casting for the soloist/supporting roles at that point. It was added at some point yesterday afternoon. It was the same with the previous week’s R&J shows - casting for that week’s shows appeared a few days before the shows, but only for those shows (not these last three performances this week). It was the same with The Nutcracker - casting appeared in the dancers’ profiles usually the day before the show, sometimes two days before the show. I suspect the dancers’ profiles are linked in some way to a casting database/system the ROH uses, and when the dancers’ names are assigned to specific performances in the system, casting also appears automatically in their personal profiles. Or something like that - I really don’t know.
I noticed too that the opening night casting for Swan Lake looks a bit odd, especially for Beatriz Stix-Brunell! 😊

Edited by Eleena
typo

6 minutes ago, Eleena said:

I noticed too that the opening night casting for Swan Lake looks a bit odd....

Where have you found that? When I click on the link for casting info on the e-ticket it doesn't go to a cast page (it doesn't seem to be a very reliable or long lasting link at the best of times)