Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

Yes, I think catafalque sounds right. I looked it up and it says 'A catafalque is the platform on which a person who has died rests before their funeral, usually while they are lying in a casket or coffin. Catafalques can be decorated or quite plain, mobile or stationary.' 

• Like 3

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, I think catafalque sounds right. I looked it up and it says 'A catafalque is the platform on which a person who has died rests before their funeral, usually while they are lying in a casket or coffin. Catafalques can be decorated or quite plain, mobile or stationary.' 

Is it before her funeral? I had assumed that the final scene opened at the end of Juliet's funeral & she was going to be left on that stone bed permanently. I probably assume this because as a child I had a book of illustrated ballet stories which included a picture of Juliet waking up in the crypt with the mouldering skeletons of some of her ancestors visible in the background, so I presumed the Capulet tradition was to leave bodies on view in their crypt.

In the Beyond Words version we see Tybalt's body in the background but due to the time scale of the story we don't know if he's simply lined up to be buried in due course or if he's staying there for the rest of time.

• Like 2

Juliet’s soliloquy where she weighs up taking the potion makes reference to the bones of her ancestors and of plucking ‘the mangled Tybalt from his shroud’. I’ve always assumed that the bodies were interred in the tomb uncoffined. 

• Like 4

Last night's R&J was my last in this run, and it was a marvellous performance in so many respects. So glad I booked yet another late ticket, having read the casting and reviews for this particular cast. 

I booked specifically to see Gary Avis as Tybalt and Olivia Cowley as Lady Capulet. I had the added super bonus of seeing Melissa Hamilton's Juliet, which I thought was sublime. No wonder, she is guesting with Roberto Bolle so often!  Alternatively, why isn't she seen in more classical leading roles at the ROH? 

Gary's Tybalt was a masterpiece. A far more sympathetic characterisation than any other. The Mercutio death scene was fascinating. He continually looked at his sword blade and the imaginary blood on it, with expressions of regret and concern. He then beckoned to Romeo - come and get me.  Even when Romeo is discovered with Juliet in the ballroom scene, he was quite laid back with Juliet initially, whereas all others are impatient or cross. If you follow me on Twitter then you will see that Gary reacted to my comments saying "I’m not a Copy & Paste kinda guy😊👍🏼⚔️🩸❤️ glad all the hard work on structuring the detail is worth it x thank you"

It was utterly brilliant and I have to admit that I was far more focussed on him than the Mercutio death, although that being said, Serrano was excellent in this scene. 

I was delighted to see Serrano as Mercutio, because way back, when I reported on a rehearsal I attended he was the "up and coming dancer" who I didn't name at the time.  At that point, Kevin O'Hare told us that he was planning to use him later in the run (so now),  but they were short of Mercutio's at that point (Covid), so there was a chance he might be needed earlier.  It was well worth the wait. I do think he is work in progress, but very impressive all the same. 

Olivia Cowley gave a heartfelt rendition as Lady Capulet.  Far more emotion than any other - real sobbing at Juliet's death, for example. My ticket money was very well spent.   

I appear to be travelling to Manchester tomorrow to see a football match, which is unlikely to be enjoyable. I think I would rather be at the ROH, but such is life. I've been following my football team for over 50 years, so choices have to be made sometimes. 

Thank you R&J. It's been absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 15

Concerning Lady Capulet - can someone tell me why she dissolves into such prolonged hysterics at Tybalt's death?  If I recall correctly, he is not her son but a cousin to Juliet.  And if that is so, then her reaction seems excessive..... unless there is some unspoken reason.  To be blunt, is an incestuous relationship being hinted at?  My memory may be at fault, but does Shakespeare suggest anything of the kind? 

• Like 4

I’ve often wondered at this too...kind of assumed Lady Capulet is representative of the whole family grief.. it keeps casting down rather than having to have his own mom as another character weeping & wailing! Can’t recall how it’s represented in the original play.... guess it does also play to the ‘Godfather’ mafia style family ‘vales’ I’ve felt are an omnipresent & ominous undertone to R&J....

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

22 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Concerning Lady Capulet - can someone tell me why she dissolves into such prolonged hysterics at Tybalt's death?  If I recall correctly, he is not her son but a cousin to Juliet.  And if that is so, then her reaction seems excessive..... unless there is some unspoken reason.  To be blunt, is an incestuous relationship being hinted at?  My memory may be at fault, but does Shakespeare suggest anything of the kind? 

Well, she does go on a bit, but then so does the Nurse in the play. I've often wondered about the possible incestuous relationship although as 'my brother's child'  is it incestuous? Not an expert in these matters! And, of course, the Cranko scene where she is carried off on the bier really hinted at something deeper. 

Can I ask, was there no Francesca Haywood as Juliet this season? I adored her in the role last time around.... sad to only have caught one Juliet this season but then it was Nunez so I count my blessings! 

To add, really would’ve loved to see Melissa Hamilton, Anna Rose O’Sullivan & Mayara Magri...& William Bracewell & Marcelino Ssmbe.....darn it, I’d like to have seen all the Juliets & all the Romeos! 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Can I ask, was there no Francesca Haywood as Juliet this season? I adored her in the role last time around.... sad to only have caught one Juliet this season but then it was Nunez so I count my blessings! 

To add, really would’ve loved to see Melissa Hamilton, Anna Rose O’Sullivan & Mayara Magri...& William Bracewell & Marcelino Ssmbe.....darn it, I’d like to have seen all the Juliets & all the Romeos! 

She danced alongside Corrales in October, it was the opening night cast! Lamb & McRae is the only couple who played both in Autumn and now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Concerning Lady Capulet - can someone tell me why she dissolves into such prolonged hysterics at Tybalt's death?  If I recall correctly, he is not her son but a cousin to Juliet.  And if that is so, then her reaction seems excessive..... unless there is some unspoken reason.  To be blunt, is an incestuous relationship being hinted at? 

It's been suggested that that is the case numerous times over the years: I keep forgetting to look for signs of it until it's too late, though :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

There's not much in the text to support this view, but in the 1996 movie Lady Capulet and Tybalt kiss during the ball, and some productions of the play imply an incestuous relationship between the two of them (eg: Michael Bogdanov's production in Stratford, 1986; Wayne Jordan's in Dublin, 2015). Zeffirelli's 1968 movie is, according to ‎James N. Loehlin, 'the first to introduce a sexual affair between Tybalt and Lady Capulet', which is implied through glances, dancing and Lady Capulet's excessive grief for her nephew's death. The Old Vic production directed by Zeffirelli was a major influence on MacMillan, so maybe this is an idea that Zeffirelli had experimented with on stage before bringing it to the movie? 

Btw, I heard a lot of people talking about Tybalt as Juliet's brother at ROH, and indeed if you're not familiar with the play and Tybalt is played by someone young (eg: Matthew Ball) you can easily believe it, especially since Lady C's expression of grief is a bit unusual coming from an aunt? I've always looked at it as incestuous, but because I read it through the lenses of movies and productions that came after MacMillan. But who knows? It might be interesting to know what the dancers are told during rehearsals.

Edited by AnticaFiamma
  • Like 5

I had also been inclined to think of an affair (and Tybalt is not a blood relation of Lady C) until someone said to me that as he seems to live in their house she might well have brought him up from a child and thought of him as a son,  thus the excessive grief.  Just another theory…

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AnticaFiamma said:

It's interesting because both Capulet and Lady Capulet call Tybalt "my brother's son", which might be a mistake or simply mean that one of the Capulets mean brother-in-law. But which one? 🤷‍♂️

If it is an affair, let’s hope it’s Lord C’s son!  😬

My view is that an incestuous affair is not canonical. In such a strict patriarchal and Catholic society it would have been scandalous. Tybalt is the Capulet heir as Lord and Lady C have no male children. There’s no mention of Tybalt’s parents so it’s possible that he is seen as a surrogate son. When Lady C mourns for him, it’s not only for the death of her brother’s child but also for what he represents, the future of the Capulet family.  In Shakespeare’s time, there was no ‘in law’ distinction, I believe, so your brother in law was considered your brother, son in law was your son, etc, hence ‘my brother’s child’. All that being said, I like MacMillan’s representation of Lady C’s overwhelming grief as it underlines the terrible human cost of the brawling. 

• Like 12

Jann Parry, in her excellent biography of MacMillan , agrees with you CCL. She says of Lady Capulet’’s extravagant mourning of Tybalt, “ Naturalistic responses have been overtaken by Expressionism.”  
Parry’s account of the creation of R&J, contains many interesting observations regarding the intentions of MacMillan including those final, powerful moments. Here Christopher Gable is quoted as saying,  “So they die apart, not touching. Two beautiful young lives have been totally wasted. Nothing’s been achieved, nothing’s better, and they’re not united. They’re just dead. Just two dead things.”  Chillingly frank.

Incidentally, pertinent to comments above, Parry refers to  Juliet’s sepulchre recognisably her bed, stripped of its coverings. 

• Like 10

If Tybalt is the son of Lord Capulet's brother or sister, then there wouldn't be a blood relationship at all with Lady Capulet, would there?  

It has been a long time since I read the play, but we studied it in depth at school, and if there had been any hint of an incestuous relationship, I am sure our naughty schoolgirl minds would have picked up on it.  Watching the ballet, I've always thought the excessive display by Lady Capulet is partly grief, and partly an attempt to whip up the male Capulets into a frenzy of revenge against the Montagues.   Shakespeare was brilliant at creating strong women who may not be able to take any physical action themselves, but can certainly drive their men on to do so. 

Just a thought, anyway.  I really must go and read the play again.    

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 8

Very sadly had to cancel my trip today as no trains at all..and worse,  disappoint a keen young ballet fan.

But all thanks are due to ROH who emailed me so swiftly to say they would issue a credit note even though it was so last minute. That is most appreciated and we will hope for Swan Lake...

• Like 8

Stunning performance in today's matinée, I still have tears in my eyes now. Matthew Ball and Lauren Cuthbertson displayed a beautiful partnership. Very natural and passionate in Act 1, and during Act 3 Lauren's grief and desperation was so powerful - the way she tossed away the lid of the bottle from Friar Laurence! It flew quite a distance across the stage there. The crypt scene was heartrending - I noticed that she seemed to almost taste the poison on Romeo's lips when trying to kiss him awake.

Tomas Mock was a superb Tybalt, and David Yudes an incredible Mercutio. Amazing portrayals of both in Act 2.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Rob S said:

And he didn't try lying next to her before taking the poison?

Mmm I think not? I think he was kinda half-kneeling on the steps when he bit the cap off (I hate when he does that), drank it and then laid next to her before the pain kicked in and he rolled down.

Edited by AnticaFiamma
  • Like 1