Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

14 minutes ago, DelphiumBlue said:

Had such a fabulous evening watching the R&J streaming at the cinema. Really enjoyed being able to see footwork and faces on the screen.

Having read all the reviews of the live performance on here really enhanced my appreciation of the ballet - thank you. 

Hello DelphiumBlue and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all the praise for the performance broadcast in cinemas last night.  I thought it was amazing, with beautiful dancing and a searing emotional journey from the two leads.  They looked wrung out at the curtain calls, and I felt a bit that way myself!  They lived and became their characters so completely and in turn made sure that we inhabited that world with them.  There were so many so beautiful and moving moments and I thought that the bedroom pdd in particular was a testament to their chemistry and the strength of their partnership. 

Full credit to Anna Rose for nailing that very difficult passage in Act 3 when Juliet, having been left by her parents with her terrible dilemma,  sits completely still on edge of the bed while the music swirls around her, the outward expression of her internal chaos.  Anna Rose gave a heartrending account of this last night, a teenage girl overwhelmed by fast moving events and her own grief and desperation.  Wonderful acting from her, not just in this scene but throughout, with so many well observed touches here and there to illuminate her Juliet for the audience.

As others have mentioned, it was lovely to see James Hay on stage again, with one of the best portrayals of Mercutio I have seen; so individually realised and well fleshed out, often amusingly so.  I would love to see him dance Romeo one day, though not too hopeful it will come to pass - maybe with Romany Pajdak as Juliet, who seems to me better suited  as a potential Juliet than as a Nurse (not that there was anything wrong with her portrayal of Nurse!)

I also enjoyed Gary Avis as Lord Capulet as I am more used to seeing him as Tybalt.  I loved being able to see close ups of the small details, such as his clear frustration in places and seeming almost at a loss in knowing how to deal with Juliet, something that probably chimes with parents of teenagers down the ages!   It made it feel so real and that his character wasn't just a one dimensional tyrant.  Similarly Kristen McNally as Lady Capulet and the frustration she also seemed to feel at her powerlessness to help her daughter and at apparently being forced to fall in with her husband's wishes.  Thomas Whitehead's Tybalt was the swaggering villain of the piece and I thought he made it work pretty well.

All in all a spellbinding performance, well done and thank you to all concerned.

• Like 14

Love your write-up @ToThePointe

I would like to add how I too noticed Stanislaw Wegryzn, not only as a excellent Capulet henchman … but also in the mandolin dance, where he was frequently the only 1 of the 5 supporting mandolin dancers to be really smiling and really enjoying himself.   The lead mandolin was usually doing so too, but none of the others except Stanislaw.  Bravo 👏

Edited by FionaE
Edit
  • Like 4

This is probably not the right thread so please move it, moderators, if you wish.

By accident I heard a Radio 4 programme (In our Time) about Romeo and Juliet this morning, describing the historical context and analysing both the poetry and the various characters in the play. At the end the 3 academics were asked which adaptations were best and one said West Side Story (sadly not referring to Robbins, whose concept it was, but referring to the other contributors) and ballets to Tchaikovsky (not sure we see many of this nowadays although I did see one when young) and, of course, Prokofiev. (The third referred to a film).

It's well worth listening to. A slightly shorter version is repeated tonight (R4, 9.30) and a longer version will be on BBC Sounds, presumably for 30 days.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have never seen applause for Mercutio’s death before!  This must have been very special.  

I'm so pleased for Francisco. I'd love to have seen him and I hope it leads to better roles for him and, hopefully,  promotion. Great to see someone lower down the ranks given the chance to dance such a huge role and being such a success. Performances like this must make casting all the more difficult for Kevin but what a wonderful problem to have!

• Like 7

There was clapping for Mercutio’s death when the ENB danced Nureyev’s R&J on tour in 2010/11. The Mercutio in question was the very affecting Anton Lukovkin who won the People’s Choice Award that season - and no wonder with performances such as he gave.

I too would have loved to have seen the very talented Francisco Serrano in the role.

39 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’ve never noticed a Juliet in threads in curtain call pics . Is this unusual?  

Having seen loads of different R&J productions over the years I would say it is unusual but not impossible (if that makes sense).  It just takes one wrong hold on the delicate fabric I would have thought.

Wonderful photographs Rob.

• Like 3

Hi all...some advice please.  What would you call the thing that Juliet crawls over to reach Romeo at the end of the ballet?  Someone called it a tombstone;  I don't think that's what it is, but I may be wrong. As it is in a crypt, it isn't a bed either.  Maybe a catafalque?  This is for something I am editing...

Any starters for ten, please?  

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

Hi all...some advice please.  What would you call the thing that Juliet crawls over to reach Romeo at the end of the ballet?  Someone called it a tombstone;  I don't think that's what it is, but I may be wrong. As it is in a crypt, it isn't a bed either.  Maybe a catafalque?  This is for something I am editing...

Any starters for ten, please?  

A tomb?

Actually, catafalque is probably correct.

Edited by Lizbie1