Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

Another great performance this afternoon, with excellent chemistry between Naghdi and Ball. I much preferred her partnership with Matt to the one with Muntagirov, and what a Juliet she is: every movement of her hand is a story, and her bourees speak volumes. Truly wonderful technique and acting: the final scene in particular is a real gem and the fact that she dies before reaching Romeo's hand is really a tragedy within the tragedy. And both are excellent in their PDD, both at the end of Act 1 and at the beginning of Act 3.

There are very strong supporting performances from Benjamin Ella in a memorable debut (?) as Mercutio, Teo Dubreuil as Benvolio and David Donnelly as a warm and sympathetic Paris. I had somehow assumed that Gary Avis had retired from the role of Tybalt and I'm really happy I was wrong: he makes a full meal of a small part and his characterisation is a highlight of the whole show. While on the whole I preferred Sambé & O'Sullivan in the title roles, this afternoon performance was sharper than the one I watched last night, and the orchestra in particular played much better.

• Like 13

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I had somehow assumed that Gary Avis had retired from the role of Tybalt and I'm really happy I was wrong: he makes a full meal of a small part and his characterisation is a highlight of the whole show.

I feel sure I read somewhere on the forum a while ago that Gary Avis felt he had had enough Tybalt- to my sorrow- so I'm very glad he is back in the role and just hope I might get a chance to see him again- but of course when he is dancing it is presumably an unknown...

• Like 5

Very impressive performances this afternoon from Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball. Great to see Gary Avis as Tybalt and nice to see David Donnelly as Paris (he was excellent as Lensky in 2020).

I always try to see how many of the Mandolin dancers I can recognise given their makeup and managed four out of six which I think is pretty good!

Next stop Swan Lake on 1st March (my first opening night!) 

• Like 7

A lovely moment before curtain up when the woman sat behind Mr Bravo got up and asked him if he was going to take his 🎩 off  . I presume he said yes he will be but she took no chances and swapped seat with her friend while the woman behind them took a pic of it all. 
No shouts of BRAVO yet even though the dancing was fabulous. Juliet was so overwhelmed by Romeo’s kiss she went up to the balcony using the unlit side stairs 😮😆

• Like 11

A very strong debut from Clark! Sure, there is room for improvement in the acting department, but his dancing is first rate and the partnership with Osipova is impeccable. With his sheer size and strenght he provides her with the solid foundation she needs to perform her magic - and magic it is! Osipova's Juliet really is one of the great performances of our time. Despite having seen Romeo and Juliet three times in the past 27 hours, I simply could not believe that she was dancing a choreography and the steps didn't come from her - from Juliet's - own heart. Her Juliet experiences a earthquake-like sexual awakening, and she brings the audience with her in a journey through the depths of love and desperation.

There are also strong performances coming from the supporting cast. Luca brings his signature speed and cheek to Mercutio, Teo dances his second fine Benvolio of the day and Hirano adds gravitas with his devilish handsome and tragically lonely Tybalt. An unforgettable night at the theatre.

• Like 14

There were times when I thought Osipova was going to burst…she was so full of emotions and deep, deep feelings of all kinds.  As always, she did it her way, and what a different and interesting and emotional and exciting way it was.  This was a Juliet I had never seen before, and never will again.  

Bravo Reece for keeping up, especially on his debut.  Dark, broody and very handsome, with precise but exuberant dancing, no wonder Juliet was bursting with longing and excitement!  

A very special night indeed.  

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Sim said:

There were times when I thought Osipova was going to burst…she was so full of emotions and deep, deep feelings of all kinds.  As always, she did it her way, and what a different and interesting and emotional and exciting way it was.  This was a Juliet I had never seen before, and never will again.  

Bravo Reece for keeping up, especially on his debut.  Dark, broody and very handsome, with precise but exuberant dancing, no wonder Juliet was bursting with longing and excitement!  

A very special night indeed.  

Totally agree! Osipova was superbly effervescent throughout, and Clarke was extremely impressive in what I believe was his debut?

Extremely dynamic performance of course from Luca Acri, and Ryoichi Hirano is a superb Tybalt.

The ending scene in the crypt was incredible. Marvelous characterisation from both, I really felt Osipova's agony. Brilliant.

• Like 9

Unforgettable indeed. Osipova ripped through the ballet with such energy, force, passion and power that she was no longer a ballerina dancing Juliet - she was Juliet, in all her joy, exuberance, ecstasy and agony. Impossible to watch without being drawn into the maelstrom of her feelings and the violence of her final despair. And the object of all this emotion? Well, I could understand any young girl (or indeed anyone) falling for this Romeo - tall, dark, handsome, strong, loving, attentive, with a brilliant smile and a willingness to throw caution to the wind. Clarke's début was admirable, and as AnticaFiamma said he gave Osipova the secure base from which to rocket up to the stars. And as she went, she took everyone else with her. An incredible performance.

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Unforgettable indeed. Osipova ripped through the ballet with such energy, force, passion and power that she was no longer a ballerina dancing Juliet - she was Juliet, in all her joy, exuberance, ecstasy and agony. Impossible to watch without being drawn into the maelstrom of her feelings and the violence of her final despair. And the object of all this emotion? Well, I could understand any young girl (or indeed anyone) falling for this Romeo - tall, dark, handsome, strong, loving, attentive, with a brilliant smile and a willingness to throw caution to the wind. Clarke's début was admirable, and as AnticaFiamma said he gave Osipova the secure base from which to rocket up to the stars. And as she went, she took everyone else with her. An incredible performance.

Maelstrom is the perfect word, BridieM.  This was a force of nature. 

• Like 4

So much detail from Osipova that I have never seen from anyone else - such as when she ‘jerked’ back into life on the slab rather than simply ‘waking up’.

A one -off performance (from both of them) which serves to emphasise the wonder that is live theatre.

• Like 15

I must also mention how much I enjoyed the beautiful and passionate performance of Naghdi/Ball this afternoon.  Their balcony pdd was one of the best I have ever seen.  

Three very different but very beautiful and affecting performances in 24 hours. I feel so lucky to have seen them, and my cup runneth over. Bravo to all of the wonderful artists who have made this a truly memorable weekend for me. 

• Like 13

19 hours ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Another great performance this afternoon, with excellent chemistry between Naghdi and Ball. I much preferred her partnership with Matt to the one with Muntagirov, and what a Juliet she is: every movement of her hand is a story, and her bourees speak volumes. Truly wonderful technique and acting: the final scene in particular is a real gem and the fact that she dies before reaching Romeo's hand is really a tragedy within the tragedy. And both are excellent in their PDD, both at the end of Act 1 and at the beginning of Act 3.

There are very strong supporting performances from Benjamin Ella in a memorable debut (?) as Mercutio, Teo Dubreuil as Benvolio and David Donnelly as a warm and sympathetic Paris. I had somehow assumed that Gary Avis had retired from the role of Tybalt and I'm really happy I was wrong: he makes a full meal of a small part and his characterisation is a highlight of the whole show. While on the whole I preferred Sambé & O'Sullivan in the title roles, this afternoon performance was sharper than the one I watched last night, and the orchestra in particular played much better.

I concur totally with AnticaFiamma. I thought Naghdi and Ball et al were perfect yesterday. It was my second Romeo & Juliet, after my first just last October. My first ever live ballet, leaving me stunned and speechless at Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell in a performance that I will never forget. Yesterday I treated my whole family (wife, two sons and girlfriends) to their first ever live ballet. They all thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but were interestingly, in light of AnticaFiamma's comments, particularly effusive about the orchestra. It turns out that, with the exception of my wife, none had ever been to an orchestral performance of any type before, and were stunned at the richness of the sound!

We wandered around Covent Garden afterwards, killing time before our early dinner reservation at 'la Ballerina' just across the road from the ROH. As we eventually made our way there we were delighted to find Yasmin Naghdi outside the ROH stage door, signing autographs and chatting to fans. She had the sweetest smile on her face, obviously enjoying the adulation. I was awestruck, and couldn't summon the courage to ask her to sign my programme. A memorable day for us all, but I have to admit that as good as Yasmin and Matthew were, they could not better my memory of Fumi and William. 

I simply cannot wait to see Fumi in Swan Lake in March!

Edited by Stephenwolf
  • Like 25

6 minutes ago, Stephenwolf said:

It turns out that, with the exception of my wife, none had ever been to an orchestral performance of any type before, and were stunned at the richness of the sound!

For me, hearing a live orchestra rather than a recording or amplified music is like colour films against black and white. The only way I can describe it is that it's not a purely aural sensation - the sound seems to fill your body.

I'm glad but not surprised everyone enjoyed it - it's a heck of a ballet!

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Sim said:

I must also mention how much I enjoyed the beautiful and passionate performance of Naghdi/Ball this afternoon.  Their balcony pdd was one of the best I have ever seen.  

Three very different but very beautiful and affecting performances in 24 hours. I feel so lucky to have seen them, and my cup runneth over. Bravo to all of the wonderful artists who have made this a truly memorable weekend for me. 

I’m just relieved to have a few days off now!

• Like 2

I'd like to make a comment on Claire Calvert as Rosaline (last Friday evening).   I've always felt that Rosaline was a rather thankless role for a dancer, but I felt very differently when I saw Claire. Her Roseline was softer, less stern and I found myself watching her in the ball scene in particular, when she definitely noticed Romeo's shift of attention to Juliet before the crucial eye to contact moment. She seemed more puzzled than stern or cold and I also noticed how she appeared to console Paris towards the end of that scene. The content was effectively the same as all other Rosalines, but I felt a difference nuance.  Did anyone else, or was it just me? 

I'm sorry to say that I struggle with Tom Whitehead as Tybalt. I don't see any energy in his performance, and the very untidy ponytail didn't help in my eyes. There's certainly no frisson as there is with Matthew Ball or Gary Avis.  I much preferred Tom as Lord Capulet. 

Very much looking forward to seeing Nunez/Bonelli for which I have also managed to secure a Return ticket. 

Edited by JennyTaylor
typo
  • Like 7

Re: Friday, overall I really like the O'Sullivan/Sambe interpretation - I always felt that the tragedy being two young people who kill themselves for, effectively, lust and misunderstanding rather than full-blown love carries more emotion, and their youthfulness and innocence was on full display. I don't think I've seen quite a naturally playful, innocent Juliet as Anna-Rose - Osipova, who presents as very young, still feels more balletic than O'Sullivan in Act I. Whilst I still prefer the version of the Balcony PDD where Juliet runs off-stage and we are left with a Romeo who is so overcome that the sound of his sign resonates through the auditorium, I appreciated the version with both reaching to each other, foreshadowing the same in the crypt. 

But where it didn't quite work for me was another attempt at foreshadowing, being Juliet's PDD with Paris. I appreciate the attempts at contrast in the repetition, but I felt that the first time Juliet was not reluctant enough - or confused enough - or any other form of reticence. Act 3 also felt much more rushed than I remembered, with both leads seeming to jump to conclusions - Juliet, in particular, having taken the sleeping potion, seemed too quick to assume that Romeo had conclusively poisoned himself. Still, a wonderful performance from both. 

Minor-character stand-outs for me were Romany Pajdak's nurse, whose connection with Juliet felt so intensely maternal (especially during the wedding) that it felt like a whole new story could be constructed around the storge form of love she had for her ward, and Joonhyuk Jun as the lead Mandolin dancer - goofy in performance, laddish when off-duty, and something I have never seen before and defies physics - a sense of rotational ballon during some of his tours?! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

and the very untidy ponytail didn't help in my eyes.

I presume it did for his though😄

I see he wears his hair untied when he's the friar

Edited by Rob S

Congratulations to Mr Clarke on his RB debut as Romeo - a lovely performance on Saturday. Surely he should be promoted soon.

The whole company seemed energised and the sword fights etc were thrilling. Orchestra on form too.

So many handsome dancers I am surprised that there was room on the stage! In addition to Clark, there was Acri, Hirano, Braendsrod.

Always happy to see Mr Avis too.

Ospiova and Clarke what a partnership to see developing - his height and strength meant the lifts looked really impressive . Together they are even more beautiful, if such is possible!

Ms Osipova’s performance was epic. To take us from ecstasy to heartbreak  in the course of a few hours an Oscar worthy performance. In some of the photos it seems that she shed a tear herself - she gave it everything so I am not surprised.

I had decided not to see any R & Js this run but then I thought it would be foolish to miss out on one of Osipova’s great roles and Clarke’s debut. So I managed to get a return ticket and am so glad I did. It was a privilege to be there. I was very sorry I had to leave immediately to catch a train. I normally would stay to show my appreciation to all the artists but as I was running down the stairs from the amphi I could hear the thunderous applause - so much deserved.

• Like 15

I forgot to prime anyone for this beforehand, so may not get an answer, but: was Clarke wearing the standard "ballroom" tunic in the ballroom scene?  Someone - I'm assuming Campbell - had a completely different one.

@alison Clarke's posted some photos of Act 1 on his Instagram today so you might be able to tell from that. I'm looking at them now but having one of those is-it-the-same-or-not moments, not helped by the last Romeo I saw being Campbell who did indeed look like he was wearing a different design. Clarke doesn't look like he's wearing the same design as Campbell at any rate...

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

Having now looked up all of this season's Romeos on Instagram, there seem to be at least 3 different styles of ballroom doublet in existance! It's a bit difficult to be certain when many photos have either Juliet or the cloak getting in the way of a full doublet view but I'd say:

Neckline & front decorated with double line of dark blue & white twisted braiding, full upper sleeves & slashed lower sleeves - Bonelli, Clarke, McRae, Sambe, Hirano

Neckline decorated with wide gold braiding, upper & lower sleeves separate - Bracewell, Muntagirov

Neckline decorated with narrow braiding, plain sleeves - Ball, Corrales, possibly Campbell though his neckline looks a bit different again.

(References for images checked: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdYQEYAJof/, https://www.instagram.com/p/CZY4GHPgjHn/, https://www.instagram.com/p/CVhuUQKoEJf/, https://www.instagram.com/p/CWK7DnlsIUO/, https://www.instagram.com/p/CUsLtWwt6fY/, https://www.instagram.com/p/CY1LKfft0RR/, https://www.instagram.com/p/CCVb0vRADcG/, https://www.instagram.com/p/CZXY5g9L0Mv/, https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/46791427534, https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/32600319577)

• Like 2