Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm probably missing something obvious here but why not? Do you cry through the sword fighting scenes like I tend to cry through the pdds?!

No, I just know I'll be watching Yuhui interacting with the rest of the cast the way the harlots do.

• Like 8

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Candleque said:

I see that Claire Calvert is listed as Rosaline. I know it isn't a big dancing role, but will be great to see her on stage again.

Oh, that's sweet that she gets to appear alongside Campbell - even if he'll be in pursuit of another woman! (See also her Lilac Fairy to his Prince in Sleeping Beauty.) I'm amused to see Pajdak is doing the Nurse. It can't be often that you get to see a dancer as Clara one week & the Nurse the next!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh, that's sweet that she gets to appear alongside Campbell - even if he'll be in pursuit of another woman!

perhaps this time Romeo will leave the ball with Rosaline, and everyone will live happily ever after...

• Like 8

I'm afraid I didn't have a great experience of last night's performance.   Far too much of it was spent trying to see round too many bobbing and leaning heads - never attached to shoulders I could reach to tap on, of course - and consequently I found it difficult to engage fully with what was happening on stage :(  Indeed, I was sorry that I'd returned my original tickets as a pair and got a replacement, and wished I'd kept hold of one of the originals instead.  Maybe I'll have better luck later in the run.  But I did notice what looked like a good Benvolio from Dubreuil - even if it wasn't his debut as some people had thought - and was more taken with Hirano's Tybalt than I had been previously.

Ikarashi was in Scarlett's Cunning Little Vixen. I can't recall if I played a frig or a grasshopper but he had an impressive solo with lots of jumping so the Mandolin Dance solo should be right up his street.

O'Hare said in his pre-show speech that Sissens is not only making his Mercutio debut but has learnt the role in 24 hours! He's doing very well so far.

I cried in the balcony pdd so its going well by my emotional barometer!

• Like 12

Wonderful and very moving performance tonight. Campbell's (RB) début as Romeo was assured and full of dramatic intelligence and musical sensitivity, and Naghdi was superb as Juliet. I thought the partnership worked really well and I was so caught up in their meeting of minds and hearts that it was only when Tybalt appeared for the fight scene with Mercutio that I remembered what was about to happen and that all would not end well... And Sissens was an excellent Mercutio - amazing that he learnt it so quickly! I found his death scene unbearably moving - a young man who suddenly realised that he was about to die. Campbell's anguish after killing Tybalt was so fierce that you really understood what he knew he'd lost. His performance was full of telling details - he never just 'reproduces' a role, he always makes it his own. His interactions with Rosaline (Claire Calvert, beautifully elegant) did take on an amusing extra aspect for those of us in the know... Daichi Ikarashi was indeed the lead mandolin dancer - he threw himself into the role with almost too much enthusiasm at first so I feared for some of his landings, but he did really well overall and is clearly an exciting dancer. And so to the end... Romeo's fury and bewilderment and grief, Juliet's shock and horror. Campbell's swallowing of the poison exactly echoed Naghdi's recent swallowing of the potion. And the viciousness with which she stabbed herself was quite horrifying, but no surprise after her monumental scream of agony after finding Romeo's body. Terrible, and brilliant.

The company as a whole seemed to be full of energy and enthusiasm and commitment in spite of all the current difficulties. So impressive, and I am full of gratitude to them and all who are continuing to make these performances possible.

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Tango Dancer said:

Joe Sissens is amazing in my opinion.  That's really remarkable to learn it so quickly. 

Do we have the cast list for Thursday (tomorrow) at all?  I can't find it.  

They normally only go up a few hours before the performance.

I think that bridiem has pretty much summed up how I felt about the performance last night. I had been looking forward to Campbell's debut (for the RB) as Romeo for a while as I love his Des Grieux and felt he would be incredibly passionate as Romeo. I wasn't wrong! I really liked his interpretation. He is always so natural and 'real' on stage and I never really feel that he's acting. Sure, he doesn't have the long lines that some of the taller dancers have but in MacMillan that doesn't really bother me as I'm looking for characterisation above all else. I think Campbell had this in bucket loads and I was totally swept up by the story he was telling. I also felt that he had wonderful chemistry with Yasmine Naghdi. I thought that they would both be more apprehensive, particularly during the balcony scene, as they hadn't had much time to rehearse but instead they were full of freedom and passion which made it all so emotional. Naghdi's Juliet last night was the best I've seen since her debut and it seems to me that having performed the role more regularly and with some different partners has really helped her interpret the role in an even deeper way. 

I think that learning Mercutio in 24 hours, and given the type of performance he did, was a remarkable feat for Joe Sissens. If this was a glimpse into what his Mercutio will become once he has had the training and rehearsal time, then it looks like it's going to be pretty great to me! Leo Dixon was also a lovely Benvolio and as bridiem says, made more out of the role. The rest of the cast were wonderful and had a really great energy and I have to mention Ben Gartside's Tybalt as I think it's superb. I love his smarmy smiles and his aggression - absolutely zero remorse with this guy!

• Like 15

Wow that sounds like a performance to remember and Robs piccies certainly seem to say it all...some very moving ones. 

Am so pleased to read about  Joe Sissens too he is now really beginning to fulfil that potential he has always had. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Hopefully seeing this cast on Saturday. Having been left in tears by Alex Campbell in Two Pigeons and Manon I have prepared an extra large quantity of tissues for the occasion!

And if ever you had seen him in SDB's Cyrano...

• Like 4

Hello, a newbie here!

I was also there last night and loved the performance. 

I had a question about the music. I have several recordings of Prokofiev's R&J. But can't seem to find the music for the specific dance at the ball where Juliet strums the mandolin while first her friends, then Romeo, dance. It's not in any of the 'ball' sections of the score. Is it originally written for another part of the ballet and was moved to the ball, perhaps? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

And if ever you had seen him in SDB's Cyrano...

I had ... :) 

Welcome to the forum, SamR.  I may be confusing it with something else, but is it from Act III, the scene in Juliet's bedroom?  I know the Nureyev production has an additional piece at that point.

14 minutes ago, SamR said:

Hello, a newbie here!

I was also there last night and loved the performance. 

I had a question about the music. I have several recordings of Prokofiev's R&J. But can't seem to find the music for the specific dance at the ball where Juliet strums the mandolin while first her friends, then Romeo, dance. It's not in any of the 'ball' sections of the score. Is it originally written for another part of the ballet and was moved to the ball, perhaps? 

Explanation I just found in the Performance History in a Romeo & Juliet programme from 2002:

"The version usually performed contains 52 musical numbers. In the present production a few minor cuts have been made to maintain the dramatic impetus: a folkdance from Act II and the Mandoline Serenade from Act III have been omitted. The latter has been interpolated into the ballroom scene in Act I." (written by Ivor Guest)

Edited to add that I am, of course, assuming that the Mandoline Serenade, referred to in the article by Ivor Guest, is the one where Juliet is strumming the mandolin while her friends, and then Romeo, dance.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Edited to add that I am, of course, assuming that the Mandoline Serenade, referred to in the article by Ivor Guest, is the one where Juliet is strumming the mandolin while her friends, and then Romeo, dance.

It is indeed.  Also known as the Aubade, it's movement number 48 in the score.

• Like 4