Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'm back to checking Returns on the website. 

I daren't book for either 28th January or 3rd February as if I were to catch covid it'd stop me going to the performances I already have booked on 1st & 10th February, both of which casts I'm desparate to be able to see. My ballet bookings have been carefully spaced so there's a week to 10 days between each to allow time to hopefully get over covid should it prove necessary (obviously I'd rather not catch covid at all).

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, art_enthusiast said:

has anyone sat in row E of the orchestra stalls and what did you think of the view? (looking at returns for upcoming performances) Because I'm not tall so concerned someone's head might obscure the view. I know the first few rows are not raked

I wouldn't sit there (unless it's the aisle seat on the side block).  I'm 5'4.

1 hour ago, AnticaFiamma said:

They announced the cast for the first two shows – Gary Avis is returning as Tybalt!

Interesting casting for tomorrow....has Juliet had a bit of an argument with one of her friends!?

Juliet’s Friends
Ballroom Guests, Townspeople
Artists of The Royal Ballet
Juliet’s Friend
Charlotte Tonkinson
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

has anyone sat in row E of the orchestra stalls and what did you think of the view? (looking at returns for upcoming performances) Because I'm not tall so concerned someone's head might obscure the view. I know the first few rows are not raked

I find that block of the first 5 rows A to E in the orchestra stalls awful for making it difficult to see the dancers’ feet (which is essential for me where ballet is concerned!). However, row E is not as bad as rows A & B for that. If you’re not very tall I would recommend somewhere else if there are other seats at good prices and sight lines (ie not restricted view). 

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Is Benjamin Ella as Mercutio a debut?

Benjamin Ella is usually cast as Benvolio or in the Mandolin Dance, so unless he substituted for someone and his bio hasn’t been updated, I think Mercutio is indeed a debut for him. I think he will make a fab Mercutio! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I find that block of the first 5 rows A to E in the orchestra stalls awful for making it difficult to see the dancers’ feet (which is essential for me where ballet is concerned!). However, row E is not as bad as rows A & B for that. If you’re not very tall I would recommend somewhere else if there are other seats at good prices and sight lines (ie not restricted view). 

Yep, I assume row H of the stalls is quite good?
I'm restricted to returns only for a pretty sold out performance, otherwise I would have chosen the stalls circle!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I'm restricted to returns only for a pretty sold out performance, otherwise I would have chosen the stalls circle!

It’s much better 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I’d be happy with Row H with regard to sight lines. I’ve sat there before and it was raked enough for me not to be obscured by people in front (compared to eg Balcony centre rows B& C for example) and I’m approximately medium height. You can see feet, balcony, potion, etc everything pretty well.  😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prs59 said:

Question to forum members:

Any débuts tonight Friday 28 January, Saturday 29 January matinée or evening performances?

Thanks

I've never seen Isabel Lubach as one of the harlots.  That doesn't, of course, guarantee that it's a début at tomorrow's matinée performance but I think it might well be.  I haven't, yet, been able to find the casting for tomorrow evening.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, alison said:

That was the page I was on, but I only had the leads.  Thanks.  And the "cast sheets" page didn't seem to have anything added either.

Tonight is up now

4 hours ago, prs59 said:

Question to forum members:

Any débuts tonight Friday 28 January, Saturday 29 January matinée or evening performances?

Thanks

I’m told it’s Reece Clarke's debut as Romeo on Saturday evening 

Edited by RobR
Amplification
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I was stuck in Italy for the first few weeks of January so I hadn't seen Romeo and Juliet since last October, and I couldn't wait to revisit it.

It's been a great night, although to be perfectly frank I thought the whole production (minus the leads) took a little while to find its footing. I'll go as far as to say that it didn't start soaring until the balcony pas de deux at the end of the first act. Before then I thought there were many imprecisions both in the cast and the orchestra, and on the whole it wasn't as sharp as it was last Autumn. After the balcony PDD it was a whole different matter, and act 2 and 3 were perfectly executed by everyone on stage.

Marcelino and Anna Rose have AMAZING chemistry and are entirely believable as lovers burning with passion for each other. As good as Sambé is (and he's really good), O'Sullivan is the true revelation and her Act 3 Juliet was particularly superb. After having been harsh and strong during the confrontation with her parents, in the final scene she becomes once again the child we briefly glimpse at in act 1. When she wakes up in the dark dungeon surrounded by corpses we are reminded once more of how young she is, but she becomes a woman once again when she realizes it's Romeo. As she stabs herself, she keeps her eyes on Romeo the whole time, and I found it incredibly moving.

The rest of the cast is also very good. James Hay is a fine Mercutio and, while it was not in sync with Romeo and Benvolio in the scene before the ball, he totally redeemed himself in act 2. Leo Dixon is an astonishingly pretty and charming Benvolio, while Nicol Edmonds is a very snobbish Paris. Joonhyuk Jun is wonderful as the lead mandolin player and he needs to be promoted asap: I can't wait for his Mercutio!

Edited by AnticaFiamma
  • Like 16

What a wonderful night.   I loved Anna-Rose’s Juliet.   I don’t have time to write more now but I agree that her chemistry with Sambe made everything that unfolded so believable, and so sad.  She was no shrinking violet and made clear from the get-go that she wasn’t interested in Paris or indeed marriage.  Then…enter Romeo and everything changes.   So many things I could say.  I love the way she dies with her eyes open…still looking at her beloved Romeo.  

Yes, great to have James Hay back.  He gave it everything as Mercutio, and his death scene was visceral and deeply moving.  

• Like 15

Absolutely wonderful performance this evening.  Anna-Rose and Marcelino were so powerful and moving and James Hay put in the Mercutio of a lifetime.  I got a late return specifically to see James and I'm beginning to wonder why as a single ticket booker, I bother with advance bookings as I can get such good seats if you hold your nerve on Returns. So, so glad I did. I'm still buzzing from the amazing show I've just seen. It had everything, except perhaps Matthew Ball as Tybalt.  Though in Row A, the orchestra did not distract me so much tonight, which says a lot about what was happening on the stage. I did love it when they congratulated each other at the end though. Lovely. 

More later

• Like 12

Lovely pics @Rob S and thanks for the reviews all, sad to have missed this.

Is the Tuesday livestream available online (or will it be after) or is it cinema only? 

As an aside I notice the run hasn’t totally sold out with many tickets still left, I don’t remember this many tickets available before and I wonder if it reflects the higher prices? As much as this is a sad situation I hope management notices this and doesn’t increase prices further again - better to have a full house (both atmosphere and financially given even if overall ticket revenue is less with a cheaper full house surely additional drinks and programmes etc will make an overall bonus?). 

Will be interesting to see how swan lake sells with the even higher prices! 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JNC said:

As an aside I notice the run hasn’t totally sold out with many tickets still left, I don’t remember this many tickets available before and I wonder if it reflects the higher prices? As much as this is a sad situation I hope management notices this and doesn’t increase prices further again - better to have a full house (both atmosphere and financially given even if overall ticket revenue is less with a cheaper full house surely additional drinks and programmes etc will make an overall bonus?). 

Looking at what's left, I think there's every chance that most performances will sell out on the day of the performance, give or take a few dozen tickets. Speaking with my work hat on, I think this is exactly what they ought to be aiming for to maximise revenue - it means they haven't left money on the table. (Without that hat on I'm not happy about the prices, of course.)

I'll be very surprised if - barring further disasters - Swan Lake doesn't sell out completely, with the possible exception of the weekday matinees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

The weekend (Fri/Sat) SL have already sold quite well and a quick non-comprehensive look at the other performances show the usual pattern of majority of unsold seats in the amphi. And they don't open for a month. 

Not much to add apart from to agree with the other reviews of last night's Romeo and Juliet - a really wonderful one! I usually like to write down my thoughts straight after a performance but was genuinely devastated by the drama and tragedy of it all so just went to bed in my hotel full of the emotion. I've been very lucky to see three excellent lead couples so far this season, all outstanding but in very different ways. Definitely the chemistry and depth of emotion and acting that stood out for me last night in O'Sullivan and Sambé's performances. As others have mentioned, Joonhyuk Jun and James Hay also danced brilliantly. I also really enjoyed Isabella Gasparini's harlot. From what I saw the other harlots were equally good, but I focused more on Gasparini simply because I hadn't seen her in the role before. Can't wait to see this cast at the cinema - very tempted to try and see an encore showing as well as the valentines day one! 

• Like 6