Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

45 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I went to see Campbell/Naghdi this afternoon. Spoilt again with a late Return ticket in Row A of the Orch Stalls, so I had a wonderful view. I'm also finding that I remain distracted and/or beguiled by my close up view of the orchestra. I had no idea there was so much piano in the music!

I thoroughly enjoyed the performance this afternoon in all its aspects, but I didn't find it moved so much as some others, but I can't put my finger on why, because it was lovely. I'm a very big fan of Alexander Campbell so really enjoyed seeing in this role (at last!) and he certainly did it more than justice. I always love Yasmine Naghdi as Juliet and a particular highlight for me was the Balcony scene pdd where they both gave it their all. 

I was impressed with both Joseph Sissons and Leo Dixon as Mercutio and Benvolio. Joe played Mercutio as being very cheeky and really pulled it off, but also managed the serious death scene extremely well.  Leo Dixon's Benvolio was a lovely, friendly young man, who warmed my heart.   The scenes where the 3 friends dance together are some of my favourites and they didn't disappoint. 

Ben Gartside played Tybalt as somewhat dismissive and contemptuous of his rivals but not as overtly unpleasant or arrogant as others in that role. I was impressed with Tom Whitehead as Lord Capulet: a lot of very good acting going on with his eyes. 

For those who like some of the detail.  Yes, Alex played the "meeting at the ball" moment, completely differently to any other Romeos I have seen. So, apparently not noticing Juliet until they actually turn round and face each other.  Sadly Claire Calvert was not Rosaline today: I was really looking forward to seeing that chemistry.  The different approach still works, and there was a lot of interesting acting on the side between the 3 friends and Rosaline, leading up to that moment. 

In the final scene in the crypt, Alex came on to attack Paris from the doorway. I didn't see him come on at all in a cloak and go round the other side by the stairs. I was looking all over for him in the shadows, but nothing.     

I felt the audience response was a bit muted today throughout, but that might have been my imagination. The cast received lots of applause at the end though.  I came away happy.  

Alex came on as per usual, with a dark cloak on, behind the line of monks on the left side of the stage as we look at it.  

• Like 3

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Campbell and Naghdi this afternoon. Breathtakingly beautiful and moving. The final curtain came down in absolute silence. Says it all.

Stunned by the silence! 

I’ve been struggling to work out why this performance touched so much.  So many things come together sometimes … the music was especially good yesterday.   The dancers seem appreciative too of this conductor’s passion for the dance and connection with what’s going on on stage. 

I think there was a special tenderness in the relationship between Alex and Yasmine yesterday.  I’ve seen a number of Yasmine’s Juliet’s and she’s super.  She seem refreshed yesterday … maybe by this new partnership.  They haven’t danced together much, they say.  

I admire how Alex dances seemingly without effort.  The tricky solo parts of the balcony pdd reminded me of Wayne Eagling … dancing without constriction or construction.  And the duel with Tybalt / Bennet Gartside was particularly fierce and full of real anger and anguish (Alex), and fear (Bennet)

Joe Sissens was made for Mercutio (well anything really 😉).  Brilliant job especially having not covered this role before and then learning it with only 24 hours before his debut.  I for one am thoroughly enjoying these unexpected upsides to the the pandemic … giving dancers a chance to shine where they might not have been given the opportunity before.  

Only negative point of the show for me were a few glum faces in the Mandolin Dance  … I know it’s tough technically, but really?   Fortunately brilliant smiles from the lead Joonhyuk Jun and Stanislaw Wegrzyn (his debut … bravo)

Yesterday was also a debut for Meghan Grace Hinkis as the lead harlot.  I rather liked her understated insouciance.  

I wish all dancers would announce debuts in whatever roles.    

• Like 7

I recently caught the 'ballet bug' after stumbling upon Romeo and Juliet Beyond Words on TV a few months ago. As most will be aware, Francesca Hayward was a strikingly beautiful Juliet in that film. However, I was captivated by Fumi Kaneko in the very minor (in that production) role of Rosaline, and when live performances resumed last October, I bought a ticket in the Amphitheatre to see Fumi in the role of Juliet on 23 October, followed by her appearance as Satan in The Dante Project three days later. I was overwhelmed by both, but rendered almost speechless by Romeo and Juliet. It is literally one of the best things I have ever seen. A life changing experience. 

Enthused, I attended two subsequent performances (Giselle and The Nutcracker, both wonderful). However, after the unforgettable experience of Romeo and Juliet, I bought tickets for all the family to see it on 29th January, and I'm looking forward to seeing Yasmine Naghdi as Juliet, in what looks like another sell-out performance, with only three tickets remaining available as I write. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my wife, two sons and partners, who have never been to a ballet before, are as enthused as I was last October. 

After that, Fumi again, in Swan Lake on 4th March. I just cannot wait for that! What a change in my life, just as a chance result of surfing the TV channels! Serendipity indeed!

• Like 32

Stephen:  Welcome to the Forum.  Like you, it seems, I was a late convert to ballet some 20 years or so ago.  I share your appreciation of Ms Hayward's remarkable Juliet in the filmed R&J and I hope your family takes to the artform as you seem to have done. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Stephen:  Welcome to the Forum.  Like you, it seems, I was a late convert to ballet some 20 years or so ago.  I share your appreciation of Ms Hayward's remarkable Juliet in the filmed R&J and I hope your family takes to the artform as you seem to have done. 

Thank you, Ian. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Though having read the above reviews of yesterday's performance it seems that they're in for a real treat!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephenwolf said:

Thank you, Ian. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Though having read the above reviews of yesterday's performance it seems that they're in for a real treat!

They are!  Welcome to the forum Stephen.  Please report back after the 29th!

While we're on alternative versions of Romeo & Juliet, can I just mention that I was really impressed by Spielberg's new West Side Story (choreography by Justin Peck), which I went to see the other day?  Highly recommended.  I thought we had a thread which mentioned it, but couldn't find it, so thought I'd just mention it here.

And welcome from me too, Stephen.  I see you talk about a "chance result of surfing the TV channels" - it seems that's what you have to do these days, since the BBC don't seem to want to publicise their dance output unless it's Strictly.  Keep an eye out for the various dance programmes over the next few weeks (there's a thread somewhere in the News section), and you'll even be able to catch Fumi as Satan in The Dante Project again - I think it may be next Sunday?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, alison said:

you'll even be able to catch Fumi as Satan in The Dante Project again - I think it may be next Sunday?

23 Jan BBC 4 21:00 

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

Thanks for that reminder about the Dante Project on tv. It will be very interesting to see it again with hopefully some closer shots of the dancers ....I might even recognise James Hay this time 🙄 

I do agree that everyone should get a chance to see such a wonderful work - but so soon after paying for the stream?  It feels somewhat insulting, and means I probably won't bother to buy any streams in future.

• Like 1

After reading your amazing reviews and seeing your fabulous photos this season, I felt it was time to join the forum! Thank you to the moderators for accepting me. 🙂

I wanted to echo the comments already made about the Naghdi/Campbell performance on Saturday which was so beautiful and moving. I felt that their relationship was believable and I felt privileged being able to see them dance together. Applause to the rest of Saturday’s cast too, I’m really looking forward to seeing more shows this run.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I do agree that everyone should get a chance to see such a wonderful work - but so soon after paying for the stream?  It feels somewhat insulting, and means I probably won't bother to buy any streams in future.

I wonder if the closeness is due to the delay in streaming? Perhaps the BBC date was already set when the original streaming timing was planned. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Well, it wasn't unexpected, based on previous performance, that the BBC would show a new full-length production by the Royal Ballet sooner or later, and why shouldn't the Royal Opera House monetise its output in the current circumstances?  I assume the BBC had to wait until the ROH had done so before they could show it - and we know there was an unspecified delay in the stream, which was originally scheduled to take place last November. I don't really see much difference between paying £16 for the Dante stream and paying the same amount for the next 3 streams, all of which are already available on DVD or will surely turn up again on Sky Arts sooner or later if you want to wait.  And I have to say that the HD definition on Dante, even on my fairly basic TV, was first class, and far above anything I ever expect to get from Sky Arts.  If you want to support the ROH to the tune of £16, then fine.  If you don't, then don't.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, alison said:

If you want to support the ROH to the tune of £16, then fine.  If you don't, then don't.

But my resources are not infinite - £16 to the ROH is £16 not spent elsewhere when all dance companies, classical & contemporary and theatres are all desperate for funds.

• Like 4

Getting back to the subject at hand - -ish - I thought I'd mention here too that the Freeview guide says tonight's Sky Arts performance of Romeo & Juliet at 9 pm is by the Royal Ballet, and not the National Theatre production which my TV guide claims it to be.  I don't know which one to believe, but thought I'd err on the side of caution.  Not sure there's space to fit any advert breaks into the RB one, TBH.

48 minutes ago, alison said:

Getting back to the subject at hand - -ish - I thought I'd mention here too that the Freeview guide says tonight's Sky Arts performance of Romeo & Juliet at 9 pm is by the Royal Ballet, and not the National Theatre production which my TV guide claims it to be.  I don't know which one to believe, but thought I'd err on the side of caution.  Not sure there's space to fit any advert breaks into the RB one, TBH.

The programme information on my Virgin Media box states that this is from the ROH and specifically mentions Naghdi and Ball. 

• Like 3

On 16/01/2022 at 19:00, Stephenwolf said:

What a change in my life, just as a chance result of surfing the TV channels! Serendipity indeed!

This has made me think: do we have a thread about how forum members got into watching ballet? If not then would there be any interest in starting one?

• Like 6

On 09/01/2022 at 11:34, MJW said:

I have started this thread in anticipation of Romeo and Juliet starting tomorrow.

I am booked for the matinee on the 29th (fingers crossed). I have checked the ROH website to see how the performances are selling and there are a shocking number of unsold seats - well over 100 for for a lot of performances including tomorrow's. I wonder whether it was such a good idea for the RB to have two tranches of R&J in the same season?

Am pleased to report that the 13 Jan show looked packed to the rafters (at least from where we were sitting).  Marianela Nunez, Federico Bonelli, Marcelino Sambe (Juliet, Romeo, Mercutio) and the whole company were simply incredible. ❤️

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DanJL said:

The programme information on my Virgin Media box states that this is from the ROH and specifically mentions Naghdi and Ball. 

My Sky info said the same but clearly not...makes one wonder where they get their information from!

James Hay’s Mercutio is brilliant! His acting is nuanced and witty, and of course the pyrotechnics of the role are right up his alley. Waiting eagerly for everyone’s reviews of the 28th. On my wishlist is for James to be cast as Albrecht, Colas and Franz. 

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, bridiem said:

James Hay has said on Instagram that he'll be back on stage on 28th Jan, as Mercutio.

Yes I saw that on IG - great news and am very pleased he will be back on stage soon 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

James Hay’s Mercutio is brilliant! His acting is nuanced and witty, and of course the pyrotechnics of the role are right up his alley. Waiting eagerly for everyone’s reviews of the 28th. On my wishlist is for James to be cast as Albrecht, Colas and Franz. 

You and me both - well, certainly the first 2.  I hadn't thought about Coppelia.

• Like 2