Royal Ballet - Romeo and Juliet - Winter 2022

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Sim said:

It's also a misleading read as it says that this is Alexander Campbell's first go at Romeo, which of course it is not.  It is his first go with the Royal Ballet, but he has danced the role with Birmingham Royal Ballet...and with Perm Ballet guesting in the UAE with Yasmine Naghdi as Juliet.  So not his debut at all, really...

Yes, I was slightly baffled that Campbell didn’t make this point in the interview. Particularly as it is essentially the same production in terms of choreography.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MJW said:

Just been notified that the performance on Saturday 29th is now at 1pm rather than 1:30pm - possibly the start of many alterations to timings. 

I'd be more than happy if they fancy making the evening performances start earlier - it'd be nice to get home before midnight!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, JohnS said:

And the ROH can offer discounted tickets to Young Friends or other target groups much later if it has unsold seats.

Yes, but from what I've been told some of those discounts were painfully low, especially for the seats on offer.  Surely better to go for half-price close to the time or something rather than that - but I haven't seen any such offers for some years, standby included.

17 minutes ago, Rob S said:

It would make a change to see a behind the scenes documentary series about the RB ….had enough of the endless series of Traffic Cops and the ones about my employer, Great Western Trains! 

Not a series but "Men at the Barre" is on iPlayer.....

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd be more than happy if they fancy making the evening performances start earlier - it'd be nice to get home before midnight!

I quite agree - it was great that last Saturday's Nutcracker started at 18:30

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Yes, I was slightly baffled that Campbell didn’t make this point in the interview. Particularly as it is essentially the same production in terms of choreography.

I assumed he was asked to go along with the 'new Romeos' theme because it makes for an easier story. And I suppose on one level it is a début, though the article is clearly misleading. But I think it's a case of not letting the facts get in the way of a good story, as they say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

If I recall the matinee discounts ceased in Winter 2018. If discounts were offered they were the same be it weekend or midweek. When matinee discounts were last offered there was a very wide range of discounts - 20% Nutcracker, 16% Mayerling, 8% Bayadere, no discount for Hansel & Gretal (opera). I’m pretty sure where there were discounts, the same rate of discount applied whatever seat was bought - so for Nutcracker 20% off the evening price of Stalls, Stalls Circle, Grand Tier, Balcony and Amphitheatre/Slips tickets.

When I asked years ago about the possibility of discounted prices/special offers for those of us having to travel long distances, possibly with hotel bills as well for evening performances, I was told that the ROH valued such members who made so much effort, and the reduced matinee prices were to help those who lived at a distance. Does this mean that by scrapping reduced matinee prices we're not valued any more? Wouldn't really surprise me. As JohnS said, the decision was taken in 2018 so they didn't have Covid loss of revenue as an excuse. ENO by comparison, has a range of discounted prices from £5 off for seniors, and reductions for children (something you'd think the ROH would be interested in promoting).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, but from what I've been told some of those discounts were painfully low, especially for the seats on offer.  Surely better to go for half-price close to the time or something rather than that - but I haven't seen any such offers for some years, standby included.

I’m afraid I don’t know what discounts are made when the ROH has a large number of unsold seats but for the second run of Frankenstein I thought students were able to purchase best tickets for £10.00(?) which would have been a very significant reduction on top price tickets. I think that was very successful in getting pretty good attendances and much better to have full houses than perform to half empty houses. For R&J there do seem to be a massive number of unsold tickers for some performances (eg 9 February matinee) where others are pretty much sold out (eg 29 January albeit this is now the only Osipova/Clarke performance).

While we wait for someone that went to give a report I will say I was particularly impressed by Marcelino Sambe's Mercutio, specifically his solo during the ball scene...like a whirlwind he was!! The post-ball slaps by Roseline and non-Roseline (Isabel Lubach) weren't loud enough for my liking 😆 but enjoyed their dancing very much. As always I enjoyed watching Ginevra Zambon trying to encourage the fighting and struggled to remain focussed on the main action when the harlots were fighting with people at the side of the stage. 

I didn't originally plan to see Marianela, I'm so glad I got to see her do this due to a cast change.

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I didn't originally plan to see Marianela, I'm so glad I got to see her do this due to a cast change.

Indeed - she was stunning, a totally mesmerising performance. I particularly enjoyed the first meet/ballroom sequence, the dance with Paris, it all seems extremely effortless and the role of Juliet very natural for her. Similarly, with the balcony scene - no words to describe that. A sublime performance. I definitely felt the chemistry between them both throughout.
I believe Marianela was coached by Alessandra Ferri, and this was definitely evident in this performance.

The crypt scene had me in tears, specifically her reaction to Romeo's death - incredibly moving.

This is my first time seeing her in the role, after also seeing Sarah Lamb in October. I understand that both of these principals are around/nearly at the 40 year age range. I think they consistently prove that age is not always a drawback in a dancing career, despite how short-lived these careers tend to be. Indeed, both appear to be dancing better than ever.
Marcelino - stunning and engaging portrayal. Amazing acting, he really embodies the role magnificently. I saw him in the "Beyond Words" film but haven't yet seen him do Mercutio live, so I was overjoyed to see him yesterday. I was also very impressed by Téo Dubreuil as Benvelio.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Any thought on Bonelli?

I thought he acted Romeo brilliantly. Utterly convincing, charming, and ultimately heartbreaking. He and Marianela had a natural rapport which was beautiful to watch. His dancing felt a little underpowered in Act I but came more alive in the Balcony pas de deux.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Sim said:

I am surprised there’s nothing here about last night (with the exception of Rob’s stunning photos!).   Would anyone like to report on opening night please?  😀

sometimes a picture paints 1000 words and Rob’s photos capture the emotional journey that Nela & Federico travelled together as Juliet & Romeo. 

Her Juliet was playful & graceful yet timid as an innocent girl, later becoming a young woman defying her parents as she is torn asunder by the passion of an all-encompassing overwhelming first love, convincing us that life wasn’t worth living without Romeo. 
As Romeo, Federico became a convincing perhaps slightly scatterbrained young man. Initially merely motivated by teenage hormonal lust, chancing his luck with any passing female,  his first encounter with Juliet at the Ball was one of those moments when the world stood still. His grief at Mercutio’s death and his reactive rage in revenging his friend by killing Tybalt was palpable. His remorse almost instantaneous. His grief at finding Juliet ‘dead’ overflowing into the audience. 
To me, Sambé fought, spun and leaped with alacrity, seemingly much more at ease and freer as Mercutio than he was in his recent Sugar Plum performances.

Congratulations to Téo Debreuil on his debut (?) as Benvolio after 5 months of recovery and rehabilitation from a nasty injury. He has already danced the Spanish a few times in The Nutcracker, a role he is already very familiar with. Not unsurprisingly. his performance in a new role last night was tentative in places and I look forward to seeing him again as his confidence increases and he permits himself to let loose and fly freely.

Who only knows what casting hurdles have had to be overcome backstage to deliver this performance but the corps and company rallied beautifully if not perfectly to give me another night to remember.

Edited by prs59
Typos
  • Like 15

Thank you all for your lovely reviews.  I am miffed now because once the cast had changed from Akane to Nela I sold my ticket.  This is because, to be honest, I have never really liked Nela as Juliet in the past.  However, it seems as if she might have been doing it with the wrong partner, or perhaps a bit of age or more experience has given her interpretation more depth.  Oh well...me of little faith.  Serves me right for not believing!!  :)  

I am glad that those who went had such a wonderful experience.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prs59 said:

Congratulations to Téo Debreuil on his debut (?) as Benvolio after 5 months of recovery and rehabilitation from a nasty injury. He has already danced the Spanish a few times in The Nutcracker, a role he is already very familiar with. Not unsurprisingly. his performance in a new role last night was tentative in places and I look forward to seeing him again as his confidence increases and he permits himself to let loose and fly freely.

I thought Debreuil was excellent last night, very musical and elegant of line.  The pedant in me must mention that Benvolio is not a new role for him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thank you all for your lovely reviews.  I am miffed now because once the cast had changed from Akane to Nela I sold my ticket.  This is because, to be honest, I have never really liked Nela as Juliet in the past.  However, it seems as if she might have been doing it with the wrong partner, or perhaps with a bit of age or more experience has given her interpretation more depth.  Oh well...me of little faith.  Serves me right for not believing!!  :)  

I am glad that those who went had such a wonderful experience.  

Pretty much what I felt, Sim, although, to be honest, there are many roles where, over the years, and having originally felt that Marianela's interpretative skills did not match her undoubted technical ability, I revised my opinion quite drastically as time went on, so no reason why her Juliet shouldn't be the same. And, yes, the right partner makes an incalculable difference, too.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I thought Debreuil was excellent last night, very musical and elegant of line.  The pedant in me must mention that Benvolio is not a new role for him.

Crush that pedant! But feel free, of course, to set the record straight as to Dubreuil's history as Benvolio on the basis of accuracy.

46 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thank you all for your lovely reviews.  I am miffed now because once the cast had changed from Akane to Nela I sold my ticket.  This is because, to be honest, I have never really liked Nela as Juliet in the past.  However, it seems as if she might have been doing it with the wrong partner, or perhaps with a bit of age or more experience has given her interpretation more depth.  Oh well...me of little faith.  Serves me right for not believing!!  :) 

I wasn't that keen on Nunez's Juliet in 2019 but she was doing it with last minute stand-in Romeo Jacapo Tissi which I doubt helped matters - both I thought were better on their own than together. So I'm going to give her another go this time around, as I really want to see Bonelli as Romeo & this might be the last chance. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that they do indeed perform on 1st February.

• Like 4

OK...because of all the positive comments here, I have just bought a cheap and not very good SCS standing ticket for Thursday night...so here's hoping!  

Marianela has written a lovely little piece on Instagram about how much Miss Ferri has helped her to reinterpret the role, and indeed be more confident in it.  No wonder she sounds like a different Juliet now!

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Does anyone know if Ferri is only coaching this particular pairing? I think it’s extremely interesting and revealing to find out which coaches are involved in preparing the dancers. 

Indeed - as I think earlier, Edward Watson and Lesley Collier did most of the coaching?

38 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I see that the casting for the secondary roles for tomorrow, Thursday & Saturday is up on the ROH website. How much it resembles who will actually be on stage when the time comes is another matter!

Very happy with tomorrow's so fingers crossed it remains the same....I've got a feeling I won't see much of the sword fighting!

Edited by Rob S

17 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Very happy with tomorrow's so fingers crossed it remains the same....I've got a feeling I won't see much of the sword fighting!

I'm probably missing something obvious here but why not? Do you cry through the sword fighting scenes like I tend to cry through the pdds?!