Prix de Lausanne 2022

invisiblecircus

Looks like 2 of the 3 are privately trained and not in full time vocational school here, and the other based in the US. Some candidates from Elmhurst and ENBS, although not British. Always love watching the candidates from APG. I just did a quick scan but can’t seem to find anyone from Conservatorio Annarella this time around. Two of their recent graduates did brilliantly well and went straight to soloist rank at Bayerisches Staatsballett.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Looks like 2 of the 3 are privately trained and not in full time vocational school here, and the other based in the US. Some candidates from Elmhurst and ENBS, although not British. Always love watching the candidates from APG. I just did a quick scan but can’t seem to find anyone from Conservatorio Annarella this time around. Two of their recent graduates did brilliantly well and went straight to soloist rank at Bayerisches Staatsballett.

Off the two privately trained one is ex WL and a Fonteyn finalist the other is privately trained by a number of coaches.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dance.Mum said:

Off the two privately trained one is ex WL and a Fonteyn finalist the other is privately trained by a number of coaches.

Does RBS permit their students to compete in PDL or YAGP? It seems to  recruit quite heavily from these competitions but I don’t seem to have seen any of their students participate unless they have a rule not allowing them to do so. I’ve seen candidates from Elmhurst and ENBS in the past, as well as from VBA, APG, TAZ etc.

11 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Does RBS permit their students to compete in PDL or YAGP? It seems to  recruit quite heavily from these competitions but I don’t seem to have seen any of their students participate unless they have a rule not allowing them to do so. I’ve seen candidates from Elmhurst and ENBS in the past, as well as from VBA, APG, TAZ etc.

RBS has stated in the past that they do not allow students to compete in competitions because due to their full schedules there isn't space in the timetable to accomodate competition preparation.

I also imagine that the majority of the students there are already at their dream school!

21 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

at least once they did.....

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2YU-57JXgc/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I don't understand your point @RosiesDream Presumably children at the RBS do find it to be their preferred school, otherwise they wouldn't be there. How is that sad?

There are many excellent conservatoires for dance across the whole wide world and the Royal Ballet School is among them, or why else would ballet students from across the world seek to study there? And the existence of other excellent schools doesn't diminish the excellence of the RBS. 

The main prizes of the Prix are places & scholarships at some of these world-leading schools, including the RBS. So I can see the logic of the RBS not encouraging its own students to enter. Maybe it doesn't want to lose them!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Kate_N said:

I don't understand your point @RosiesDream Presumably children at the RBS do find it to be their preferred school, otherwise they wouldn't be there. How is that sad?

There are many excellent conservatoires for dance across the whole wide world and the Royal Ballet School is among them, or why else would ballet students from across the world seek to study there? And the existence of other excellent schools doesn't diminish the excellence of the RBS. 

The main prizes of the Prix are places & scholarships at some of these world-leading schools, including the RBS. So I can see the logic of the RBS not encouraging its own students to enter. Maybe it doesn't want to lose them!

The cynic in me thinks that maybe they don't allow their students to enter because it would look bad for the reputation of the school if they didn't win...

• Like 1

@Kate_N - your point is well taken, as my daughter's ballet school (not RBS), said something along the lines of, "dancers go to Prix de Lausanne to be seen by the top schools in the world, and she's already here..." So, if you're at your dream school, maybe the time, MONEY, effort, energy, nerves, etc. aren't worth it. I have to say that I do like the visibility of competitions, though, and keeping by daughter on the other schools'/companies' radar. So that's what we've been using summer intensives for recently.

• Like 2

I don’t think any of the elite schools are looking to enter their most promising students with a desire to win the competition. Otherwise you’d see all the dancers who’ve been quickly promoted through their companies there. It’s very much a tool for the student to be seen- which can be for many reasons. Maybe training in a less illustrious school, or privately or they are at a top class school but won’t be going into the company attached. I imagine there’s easier ways to be seen if you are at one of the ‘top’ handful of schools. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capybara said:

A dancer recruited to the RBS from the Prix de Lausanne but taken to the YAGP along with Benjamin Ella and Jonathan Hanks, I think. (Memory a bit rusty!)

This made me curious....looking at only the finals page of the YAGP since 2000, the RBS appears yearly from 2006-2010 and again in 2016 but nowhere else. 

2016    Grand Prix    Joonhyuk Jun

2010    Grand Prix    Wm Bracewell
                                  Claudia Dean
2009    Gold              Eliza Badenes Vazquex
                                  Jonathan Hanks
2008    Gold              V. Muntagirov
             Silver             Benjamin Ella 
2007                         Valentino Zucchetti
2006    Grand Prix    Sergei Polunin

9 minutes ago, oncnp said:

This made me curious....looking at only the finals page of the YAGP since 2000, the RBS appears yearly from 2006-2010 and again in 2016 but nowhere else. 

Claudia Dean
                                  Jonathan Hanks

Yes, it got me curious too as I don’t recall any candidates from RBS in recent memory. Can’t really just be their schedules as that’s like assuming other schools don’t have as busy a timetable.  And perhaps they aren’t looking to lose students but if I’m remembering correctly, prizes sometime come with job contracts/offers and not just scholarships to schools. The age is also from 15 which means it’s a good way to be seen by upper schools of partner schools especially if not all from WL get RBS US.

4 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Yes, it got me curious too as I don’t recall any candidates from RBS in recent memory. Can’t really just be their schedules as that’s like assuming other schools don’t have as busy a timetable.  And perhaps they aren’t looking to lose students but if I’m remembering correctly, prizes sometime come with job contracts/offers and not just scholarships to schools. The age is also from 15 which means it’s a good way to be seen by upper schools of partner schools especially if not all from WL get RBS US.

From what I saw, everyone was in the "senior division". There were no entries from WL.  

• 3 months later...
On 31/01/2022 at 09:10, invisiblecircus said:

The competition is currently being streamed live on the Prix de Lausanne website, Facebook and Arte Concert 🙂

And is currently being discussed on a thread out in the main forum

So if you want to discuss the performances it's probably better to use that thread.

On 30/10/2021 at 10:35, oncnp said:

Claudia Dean
                                  Jonathan Hanks

Of these I know that Sergei Polunin was at the RBS when he won both the YAGP and the PdL.  Was he the last to be entered at the PdL whilst at the school?  I know the school had to do it to keep him occupied as he was streets ahead of the others in his year group.  Bored at school and too young to join the company (like Marianela Nunez)

Many prize winners at PdL over the years get places at RBS or the company.

I believe the philosophy at RBS is ‘what message are you sending the RB school and company if you want to participate in such an event’.  RB mgmt see the PdL as a feeder of talent into their school and company.  

It’s a shame really as special talents like Daichi Ikarashi will never have that title on their CV as he would not have been allowed to compete.  (Or persuaded not to compete).   But then you don’t see participants from any of the major schools either  (no Paris, Dutch, Cranko, La Scala, Bolshoi, Mariinsky)  

11 minutes ago, Peony said:

Claudia Dean did PDL before she was accepted by RBS didn’t she? I think they may have offered based on her performance there but can’t remember!

@FionaE vaganova, cranko and bolshoi have entered students in the past few years. And SAB 

Yes Claudia Dean was at Prix but not listed as a winner.  Audrey Freeman was offered her RBS place following her participation in Prix but also doesn't list as a winner.

There are some winners and finalists in the current RB Company too.

Mayara Magri Leticia Dias Cesar Corrales and the young Italian boy from last year Marco Masciari ( 2020) 

Im sure there is a Japanese boy also just joined the Royal Ballet who was a finalist or winner there. 

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

There are some winners and finalists in the current RB Company too.

Mayara Magri Leticia Dias Cesar Corrales and the young Italian boy from last year Marco Masciari ( 2020) 

Im sure there is a Japanese boy also just joined the Royal Ballet who was a finalist or winner there. 

Also Luca Acri, David Yudes, Harrison Lee, Sae Maeda, Stanislaw Wegrzyn, Yu Hang, Hanna Park and I'm possibly forgetting someone!

Marco Masciari is still the Prix de Lausanne apprentice but I hope he will be taken into the main company.

• Like 1

There's not much traffic on the other thread. I'd love to discuss it here! I've been watching it all day while doing housework. Love hearing the coaches comments, the boys' contemporary coach is quite a character. I didn't catch his name while cleaning the bathrooms! 

I have my eye on a few of girls. Trying to keep up with their numberings but selfishly wish they would wear the same leotards every day as that is how I remember them! I think so far Sumin Lee no. 310 has caught my eye the most. Also 323 Garcia Vazquez.