Glasses, masks and fogging

One of the things I’m worried about on Thursday is that I’m not going to be able to stop my mask from fogging up once I put my glasses on in order to see the stage...which I have to wear these days. 
If I can’t see it will ruin the performance so may have to slip mask off nose!! 
Sometimes I can manage it but because I don’t need to be in this position very often certainly haven’t mastered it yet and the other day in M & S for example I just had to slip mask off nose for a few seconds to read a label (glasses at the other end of the scale) 

If you are in a restaurant or cafe you only have to wear masks when moving around once settled at your table you do not have to wear one. 
I will try to keep my mask on properly but am not promising! 
I am double vaxxed though and live in an area with very low levels of the virus.  
If I was that worried that I might pick the virus up by going to the theatre I wouldn’t go to be honest though realise this view may not be popular. 

• Like 4

Maybe the ROH could tell us what glasses and mask combo the orchestra use...many members of it wear glasses and they all wear masks (except the brass section but there’s always one!) and yet their performance isn’t ruined. 

• Like 1

I have only been wearing those medical blue masks since the pandemic began. 
They have a bit of wire at the top which if you pinch around your nose and then put glasses on is supposed to stop glasses fogging up. But then I find my glasses keep falling off lol! 
Perhaps when watching a stage you would keep your head raised and fairly still it will be okay....at least with the glasses falling off maybe. 
The problem is if I pinch it too tight around my nose then I can’t breathe properly 😳

If push comes to shove I could always leave at the interval if either I can’t see or can’t breathe 😱 

I do have some more fancy masks which I’ve never worn as decided I wasn’t going to make a fashion item out of them but they don’t have the bit of wire in them. 
I can see I will have to spend some time practising at home before Thursday but it is all this which puts me off going to the theatre ...not at this point catching the virus. 
In the Autumn I didn’t go to the theatre at all because I genuinely was worried about catching it back then but am prepared to risk it now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LinMM said:

They have a bit of wire at the top which if you pinch around your nose and then put glasses on is supposed to stop glasses fogging up. But then I find my glasses keep falling off lol! 
Perhaps when watching a stage you would keep your head raised and fairly still it will be okay....at least with the glasses falling off maybe. 
The problem is if I pinch it too tight around my nose then I can’t breathe properly 😳

If push comes to shove I could always leave at the interval if either I can’t see or can’t breathe 😱 

I do have some more fancy masks which I’ve never worn as decided I wasn’t going to make a fashion item out of them but they don’t have the bit of wire in them. 
I can see I will have to spend some time practising at home before Thursday but it is all this which puts me off going to the theatre ...not at this point catching the virus. 
In the Autumn I didn’t go to the theatre at all because I genuinely was worried about catching it back then but am prepared to risk it now. 

I really wouldn't worry too much about this, LinMM - as long as you're wearing some sort of mask that's all that matters. I don't think glasses steam up when you're just sitting down and not moving about (well mine don't), and it doesn't matter if there's no wire in your mask (as long as the mask isn't excessively loose). (I have a couple of wired masks, but my nose/face are clearly peculiar since I can't get the wire to sit properly on my nose anyway! So I just do my best. And I've worn the masks in medical settings and no-one has ever objected.)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Frankly I find those medical paper masks both highly uncomfortable (dampness) and ineffective (escaping air). We use home-made cloth masks  which seem to be much better.

Have you tried  using your glasses to clip the top of your mask to the bridge of your nose  to reduce fogging?

But given the high level of vaccinations (particularly amongst the typical  age of ROH attendees) and the relatively low disease prevalence,   I would not worry too much  if your mask happened to accidently  slip down a bit during performances...!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

One of the things I’m worried about on Thursday is that I’m not going to be able to stop my mask from fogging up once I put my glasses on in order to see the stage...which I have to wear these days. 
If I can’t see it will ruin the performance so may have to slip mask off nose!! 
Sometimes I can manage it but because I don’t need to be in this position very often certainly haven’t mastered it yet and the other day in M & S for example I just had to slip mask off nose for a few seconds to read a label (glasses at the other end of the scale) 

If you are in a restaurant or cafe you only have to wear masks when moving around once settled at your table you do not have to wear one. 
I will try to keep my mask on properly but am not promising! 
I am double vaxxed though and live in an area with very low levels of the virus.  
If I was that worried that I might pick the virus up by going to the theatre I wouldn’t go to be honest though realise this view may not be popular. 

I have exactly the same problem with mask and glasses fogging up, some people seem to make it work but I find it almost impossible. 

I am hoping that face masks in the theatre will soon be a thing of the past.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, annamk said:

I have exactly the same problem with mask and glasses fogging up, some people seem to make it work but I find it almost impossible. 

I am hoping that face masks in the theatre will soon be a thing of the past.

There is a definite knack to it. Which I've nearly perfected and will have done so 5 mins after we can go maskless, I have no doubt

• Like 4

I hate to say it, but my glasses started fogging up as soon as Apollo started last night :(  And these are shallower than my computer glasses.  I'm told that rolling a piece of loo roll into a roll and sticking it under the mask under the bridge of your glasses usually absorbs the fog, but keep forgetting to snaffle the loo roll ...

Isn't there something about putting your glasses in a solution of washing-up liquid?

And I think I'll move this discussion into a separate thread, so it doesn't get lost in here.  It's obviously going to be a problem for some time yet.

I read a tip a while ago.  Put a thin layer of washing up liquid on both sides of your specs and polish it off (do not use water) until they are back to normal.  When I tried it seemed OK for a couple of days.

I tend to wear cloth masks like the one on this website:  https://www.trooplondon.com/products/handmade-reusable-cotton-face-masks?_pos=3&_sid=e32092b05&_ss=r

I find them better with my specs than the oblong ones.

I pull it up as high to my eyes as I can and then put my specs on.  I've got one of those chain things for if I think my specs feel insecure.

I find careful pinching and moulding of the wire in both disposable and cloth masks works well to stop the fogging occurring.  Glasses over the mask also helps.  

The ROH staff were fairly officious in ensuring masks were being worn properly when I was there for the first programme.

I don’t wish to add to the possibility of more closures.  The dancers need to be able to perform.  I feel it’s the least we can do to help.  After all ... medics manage wearing them all day long.

Here’s a video a school friend made at the start of the pandemic about making your own masks with wires ... she is an Oxford medical graduate and now dermatologist.  

As she mentions, the fogging also goes away once the glasses are at the same temperature as your breath.

• Like 1

I’m sure this topic will be irrelevant for most people as most people don’t seem to have too much of a problem with it just numpties like me it seems 🙄 

I hope they bring in the restaurant rule soon that you only have to wear a mask when moving around and going to the loo etc but not once you are in your seat. 
I really hope wearing masks doesn’t start to become a more permanent thing say in the Autumn for example when numbers attending are back to normal levels. 
Once everybody has been offered the chance to be vaccinated I think we have to start doing things at our own risk. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I hope they bring in the restaurant rule soon that you only have to wear a mask when moving around and going to the loo etc but not once you are in your seat.

That would leave you potentially at risk from people in the row behind you breathing on you.  If it's a choice between having masked full houses so that companies and venues can survive and ~40% occupancy without masks, I'd be prepared to take the former, I think.

• Like 6

one thing I've been happy with, now that no one seems to have a cough/cold/flu due to us all isolating, and with reduced numbers in the house, is the absense of those that loudly cough during a pause; those ones that just seem to HAVE to get a few raucous coughs in, to show off that they know this is a pause, and they are damn well going to make use of it! No, don't miss those at all!

• Like 4

I probably won’t comment here again as it will get too difficult. 
There has to be a point where we free ourselves from the fear of this virus or we will be wearing masks and the rest of measures in place for years possibly until it disappears which it may never do! 
Once most people have been vaccinated and older people even possibly had booster jabs there is a point we have to treat it like the flu and we don’t sit in theatres with masks on because of the flu!! 
I’m not worried about people breathing on me from behind because if I was I wouldn’t go!! The masks only give a small  bit of extra protection anyway they just reduce the risk slightly not massively! 
I think eventually in not too distant future we can have full theatres and no masks and those who are too worried about the virus don’t have to go!! 
Because I know this is contentious I’ve said my bit but think there’s no point in me saying any more as I know views differ strongly on this. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

one thing I've been happy with, now that no one seems to have a cough/cold/flu due to us all isolating, and with reduced numbers in the house, is the absense of those that loudly cough during a pause; those ones that just seem to HAVE to get a few raucous coughs in, to show off that they know this is a pause, and they are damn well going to make use of it! No, don't miss those at all!

Sorry, Dave, but I have a nervous cough as quite a lot of people do. The more I know I mustn't cough, the more irritable my throat becomes so that I'm in absolute agony trying desperately to  keep the cough at bey until a spot in the ballet comes where the orchestra gets louder or where a lot of applause is likely. You have no idea what agony it is! And now your comment will make me anxious on my first return to ROH next Sunday. And with Dances being 65 minutes (should be 55 minutes, they take it far too slowly, especially at the beginning) of piano music I could be in for a long drawn out spasm.

24 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

Sorry, Dave, but I have a nervous cough as quite a lot of people do. The more I know I mustn't cough, the more irritable my throat becomes so that I'm in absolute agony trying desperately to  keep the cough at bey until a spot in the ballet comes where the orchestra gets louder or where a lot of applause is likely. You have no idea what agony it is! And now your comment will make me anxious on my first return to ROH next Sunday. And with Dances being 65 minutes (should be 55 minutes, they take it far too slowly, especially at the beginning) of piano music I could be in for a long drawn out spasm.

I'm sure Dave's comment was aimed at those who cough loudly on principle, rather than anyone who does actually need to cough!! I know how agonising it can be to stifle a cough - does it help if you have some water with you? Or sucking sweets? Anyway I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on Sunday - I envy you!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'm sure Dave's comment was aimed at those who cough loudly on principle, rather than anyone who does actually need to cough!! I know how agonising it can be to stifle a cough - does it help if you have some water with you? Or sucking sweets? Anyway I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on Sunday - I envy you!

yes, it was 🙂 (re the self important 'look at me, I'm coughing in the right spot' herberts)

LinMM - just a reminder, the mask isn't so much to stop you getting infected (though it does help a little bit in that respect), it is to stop those who are infected and don't know it, spreading their virus particles over everyone else

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

I always find that positioning my glasses firmly over the top of the mask gets rid of the fogging, which always occurs otherwise.

Nope - all that does for me is make things worse.

I can wear either glasses/sunglasses or a mask but not both and believe me, I've tried all the hints and tips going.

52 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

relax - genuine coughers are excused! Just noting that with very few colds around, coughers are now rare. So those who make a show of it, have no excuse

• Like 2

I'm glad I read this topic because I haven't been wearing my glasses the whole 15 months or whatever of lockdown, I only need them to really see properly in theatres and cinemas and I get by without them elsewhere. This has got me thinking how uncomfortable it will be in the theatre, mask, glasses and opera-glasses! 

Well I’ve just been for an eye scan at the opticians in Lewes ( all normal) but  guess what they had some wipes in there called “No Fog“ ...produced by bondeye

The opticians who wear glasses swear by these wipes so I’ve bought some and will let know here if they were successful or not. 
I was quite pleased to hear that the lady who served me said she just couldn’t get on with her glasses not fogging up when wearing a mask no matter how many tips she followed until she used these so have high hopes! 
I imagine most opticians would sell them. 

• Like 3

Apologies for copying this across from the Apollo/Dances at a Gathering thread but my post crossed with Alison creating the new thread. I was not looking forward to wearing a mask for much of my day trip to London and wondered how I’d get on in the Opera House but was very pleased with how I found things and thought it might help others similarly concerned by the prospect:

I normally have to take my glasses off when wearing a mask and walking from shop to shop etc. I was very pleasantly surprised how unobtrusive I found my mask when watching the rehearsal the other day and also on the three + hour train journey. Certainly no misting from the mask. Dances at a Gathering another story as I find it so deeply affecting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

I can wear either glasses/sunglasses or a mask but not both and believe me, I've tried all the hints and tips going.

yep… and factor in hayfever while walking to the venue, and it’s a choice between whether the pollen goes in my eyes or my throat!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Well I’ve just been for an eye scan at the opticians in Lewes ( all normal) but  guess what they had some wipes in there called “No Fog“ ...produced by bondeye

The opticians who wear glasses swear by these wipes so I’ve bought some and will let know here if they were successful or not. 
I was quite pleased to hear that the lady who served me said she just couldn’t get on with her glasses not fogging up when wearing a mask no matter how many tips she followed until she used these so have high hopes! 
I imagine most opticians would sell them. 

I have to wear glasses at work but thankfully don't have to wear a mask. However I do wear my glasses to the ballet as they sharpen the image for me - I purchased a wipe from my optician and it certainly seems to stop my glasses fogging up!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

I probably won’t comment here again as it will get too difficult. 
There has to be a point where we free ourselves from the fear of this virus or we will be wearing masks and the rest of measures in place for years possibly until it disappears which it may never do! 
Once most people have been vaccinated and older people even possibly had booster jabs there is a point we have to treat it like the flu and we don’t sit in theatres with masks on because of the flu!! 
I’m not worried about people breathing on me from behind because if I was I wouldn’t go!! The masks only give a small  bit of extra protection anyway they just reduce the risk slightly not massively! 
I think eventually in not too distant future we can have full theatres and no masks and those who are too worried about the virus don’t have to go!! 
Because I know this is contentious I’ve said my bit but think there’s no point in me saying any more as I know views differ strongly on this. 

This makes me want to cry. I am desparate to be able to go to the theatre but currently cannot as my mother, who I live with, is suffering from a litany of health problems so I am having to shield for her sake. I am hoping that maybe I will be able to start thetregoing late summer/early autumn & really, really want to be able to see Romeo & Juliet at the ROH in October. However if both masks and distancing have been abandoned by then it will make it riskier for me to go. It's all very well saying "those who are too worried about the virus don’t have to go" but for those of us protecting other people it is very difficult. I can make the decision that I am prepared to risk my own life to go to the theatre but you can't tell your relatives that you're prepared to kill them for the sake of going to the theatre.

• Like 5

I will message you Dawnstar as I don’t want to talk about masks in general any more just any solutions to glasses fogging up. 
But the whole point of the vaccination programme is that then the virus doesn’t kill people. 
There are always some people who will have to take extra care because of their health. 
You can get masks which do protect the wearer from other people but can’t remember the name of them but will continue the discussion privately with you if that’s okay. 

@LinMMThere's no need. I just wanted to present an alternative point of view. Oh and in terms of glasses fogging up, mine have only fogged up in lower temperatures so I'm assuming sitting in a theatre would be okay, given they are usually fairly warm.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Glasses, masks and fogging
11 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

@LinMMThere's no need. I just wanted to present an alternative point of view. Oh and in terms of glasses fogging up, mine have only fogged up in lower temperatures so I'm assuming sitting in a theatre would be okay, given they are usually fairly warm.

This is what I found on Friday, Dawnstar - because I was warm, the outside temperature was warm AND it was warm inside the ROH, I didn’t get any fogging at all wearing glasses plus a cotton mask with nose wire.  I did have my nose wire tightly moulded to my nose, and at times I had to breathe through my mouth, but on balance it was still better than not having the joy of live ballet. 

I’m now fully vaccinated but suspect I had COVID in December 2019; the chances of me transmitting it are slim to none.  However, my daughter isn’t yet old enough to be vaccinated, and having been coughed on more than once in the past by an ROH audience member not covering his/her mouth, I’m more than happy to wear a mask (and dare I say, I *like* the social distancing measures wrt seating).  

In fact not having had a cold or tonsilitis since 2019, daughter and I were agreeing that we would continue to wear masks on public transport and in tube stations after any requirement has ended. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SheilaC said:

i have asthma and an over-sensitised larynx and when something sets off my cough it is hard to suppress. In theatres, this usually occurs when the air con is switched on; although if I can hold it in until a natural break, I will, yet despite my obvious concerns that people might feel that I am being anti-social or thoughtlessly spreading Covid, I have yet to encounter any hostility. Hope this helps for Sunday, Sheila. 

• Like 2

Am just on the bus going into Brighton for a yoga class and looking at my phone with my reading glasses on and there’s no fogging whatsoever!! 
So this heat thing ( it’s very hot today) must work. I still have to keep my head up or glasses fall off as they don't sit very well on top of that wire bit but are as clear as a bell and haven’t used a “No Fog” wipe yet... saving these for tomorrow ...just in case!! 

• Like 1